Community MetaSteam | November 2019 - You Can't Spell Steam Without EA

Status
Not open for further replies.

sauce

Babushkats
Dec 3, 2018
It originally released in only Japanese but it seems like they are also translating it into English as well

Those dates do not match up

Man I still have to finish my hard mode runs of the first Dark Witch game... Wishlisting this one for now

edit: wait I'm an idiot this is just a remake of the first?

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
By the way it had now been over a year since the release of RDR2. I didn't finish the game but I did enjoy playing through it.

Also it's been over 6 years now since GTA V came out and it is still the best selling game in the US of all time.

And in a few days it will be the 8th anniversary of Skyrim!!!!

11.11.11 A legendary date for a legendary game

I hope that one day there will be a video game series that I will become a big fan of. There have been series that I have enjoyed but none that I was ever a real die hard fan of. So I can't relate to people waiting years for the new entry of a video game series.

Also it seems that there was this price error thing with FE on Walmart. I was thinking of getting it but seeing how Star Wars comes out later this month and how I am getting Death Stranding as well and how at the end of this month I will likely be spending something like $600 USD on Figures (I have $200 USD store credit, I also have around $200 USD worth of rewards points on my credit cards and I plan to also spend $200 USD, which in turn may lead to me paying $50 USD on shipping alone because of the changes TOM made. Hopefully they will be doing a thing of 20-30% off all figures including pre-orders because I would definitely be buying if that happened). I still have not even completed my firth playthrough of FE 3H

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
By the way it had now been over a year since the release of RDR2. I didn't finish the game but I did enjoy playing through it.
Oh man, dont even remind me of RDR2.

I will try to buy Luigi's Mansion tomorrow.
And next week is Death Stranding
And the next next week, Pokemon AND Star Wars
And RDR 2 in December.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
So apparently games in 2019 and beyond doesn't need to be fun.

New genre, art, and pushing medium are more important than fun.

I'll just watch movies if this will be a trend.
It's a triangle. In a very broad sense can't video games be seen as either A very fun, B very story based, or C very multiplayer based?

Nintendo mostly does A, Sony does B and Microsoft does C.

I mean how many Nintendo games (not just not but through out all of Nintendo's history are known for their story? I mean I enjoyed Ocarina of time when I played it for the first time on GameCube in 2009 but I while it was fun I wouldn't say that it had a ground breaking story.

Then you look at Sony while I'm sure that their AAA western stuff can be fun it tends to be more story driven.

Then there is Microsoft who has in the past done (and still does do) done multiplayer experiences (look at Halo 3 and all of the online content that you could get out of it (I guess Sony version of that would be Little Big Planet?

You had COD BO4 that got rid of story and Instead focused on multiplayer and making the game "fun"?

And RDR 2 in December.
Let me known how it goes with Pokemon

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Seems like an incredibly silly reaction since there are tons of examples in other entertainment mediums of things that aren't "fun" to consume.

Games don't have to be fun, and saying they have to be is limiting and unimaginative.

Games have to be entertaining, for sure! (although I could see someone might conceivably debate that, but I'm not going to be that person)

Games do not have to be fun.

Entertainment =/= fun
I agree completely! I crave for games to start being daring, to be "difficult" and explore ways to explore serious things that aren't "fun".

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
The medium is not going to get pushed forward by deprecating gameplay though. Gaming is an interactive medium first and foremost.

Reactions: derExperte

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
The medium is not going to get pushed forward by deprecating gameplay though. Gaming is an interactive medium first and foremost.
Of course, gameplay is the most important part but I think that's different from the "fun/entertaining" subject. I personally want games that rely much more on systems with good gameplay that allow for interesting subjects to explore that wouldn't be considered "fun".

Might be that the word "fun" means different things to everyone. But for example Minecraft, I love that game but most of the things you need to do can be very frustrating, take alot of time and at times hard, so not very "fun" but very highly entertaining and here it's all systems and freedom,

Another example would be Morrowind, many would argue it isn't very fun, well at least back in the day I heard that often, in that it is very open and can be very frustrating in it's lack of clarity and often ending up in impossible situation, but it is also one of my favorite games!

Reactions: Samson

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
Seems like an incredibly silly reaction since there are tons of examples in other entertainment mediums of things that aren't "fun" to consume.

Games don't have to be fun, and saying they have to be is limiting and unimaginative.

Games have to be entertaining, for sure! (although I could see someone might conceivably debate that, but I'm not going to be that person)

Games do not have to be fun.

Entertainment =/= fun
For me entertainment have to be fun. The reason I seek entertainment is to take a break from other thing in my life. I guess I'm part of the problem that will never make the medium goes forward.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
wow, they seem to really want to be back on steam ...

or maybe it's just me
Don't worry I'm sure Epic has this planned and "it will eventually come to place".

Asides from the Money I wonder how Early Access went for them on Epic. They got money to fund the game but did they get the user feedback they wanted to get (diverse and plenty)

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Asides from the Money I wonder how Early Access went for them on Epic. They got money to fund the game but did they get the user feedback they wanted to get (diverse and plenty)
seeing how they put the steam store page up 3 months before release and won't be done with early access before it (which they said they would be when they released it on egs) - i'm gonna say it didn't go particularly well

Reactions: PC-tan

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Don't worry I'm sure Epic has this planned and "it will eventually come to place".

Probably good at first but not so well after.

They were parading that it wasn’t coming to Steam until 1.0 in mid-2020 for months then suddenly its coming out as soon as the exclusivity deal ends? Definitely a huge red flag.

Reactions: PC-tan and lashman

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
I'm sure a SDK will ship with or shortly after HLVR comes out so people can put out mods for it.
This. as Half Life has always being the playground for modders and so, the SDK will probably release after HLVR, also, makes sense if you want the community to experiment with VR tools and see if they can do some interesting things with such technology. We will see but I'm really excited about HLVR.

Reactions: lashman

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
lashman you got into the latest MCC flight, right? Have you been able to connect to -anything-? I can't seem to be able to download matchmaking data and I've only managed to play the campaign.

Anyone else?

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
yeah, but the winstore one, so i didn't even bother installing it
I see! Well, me too... but I begrudgingly decided to try it anyway since I really like Halo.

Honestly it was a nightmare to install. At first it only downloaded 10MB and the game would only show a splash screen. When I tried to file a bug report, I saw that their form had a drop down menu to select your build version, and mine wasn't even listed (1.1170.000 or something...)! I then tried to update the game (which works about half the time and you can't do it on a single app) but to no avail. I then remembered that I had trouble updating minecraft so I discovered you can run wsreset.exe to reset the Windows Store and it finally found the (10GB) update (1.1186.000).

What else is there to say but... Praise Lord Gaben.

I really don't get it... there are so many talented engineers working at Microsoft and they're still able to produce some mind boggling crap. It's light years away from the monstrosity that GFWL was, but still...

Reactions: xinek and lashman
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I see! Well, me too... but I begrudgingly decided to try it anyway since I really like Halo.
yeah, i just ignored it ... i'm specifically interested in the steam version (and SPECIFICALLY signed up for the steam version, lol) ... so yeah, gotta wait until it's on steam

Totally unrelated : I got a baby cat on my doorstep this morning. I already have 4 balls of fur, so this one ate all their food as if he was starving...

He seems fine though :

so fluffy :cat-heart-blob:

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
Totally unrelated : I got a baby cat on my doorstep this morning. I already have 4 balls of fur, so this one ate all their food as if he was starving...

He seems fine though :

He's cute :cat-heart-blob:.
But before taking him in, you should maybe tell a nearby vet that you've found a cat (in case his owner is looking for him).

Unless I'm mistaken, in Switzerland it's now mandatory to microchip your cat. It's really great as it solves a lot of problems...

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Hamble thoughts:

Shenmue 1 + 2 in the mystery games was a nice surprise. I'm not sure if I'll ever play it, but still!

Already bought the new one and played an hour and some of Soulcalibur. It looks great and is fun! (Did a bit of the mode where you create your character since the tutorials are in there and am going through the main story right now),
I'm still mostly flailing around, but still fun is fun. Gonna try Portia soon as well, but first there is the first boss in Shrouded in Sanity waiting for me.

Ruvon

Chaotic writer
May 15, 2019
France
cabinetdechaologie.wordpress.com
He's cute :cat-heart-blob:.
But before taking him in, you should maybe tell a nearby vet that you've found a cat (in case his owner is looking for him).

Unless I'm mistaken, in Switzerland it's now mandatory to microchip your cat. It's really great as it solves a lot of problems...
I know where he comes from, we had him for a week a few months ago. He lives two houses further, looks like my neighbours aren't home... I went there but no answer. I'll try again later today.

He's fighting with my cats, so the sooner I give him back the better. But he's nice with us and cuddles a lot :cat-heart-blob:

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019

And RDR 2 in December.
Those Pokemon evolution leaks are fugly :anguished-face:

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
I just gave the NiOh2 beta a try and... well... you can keep Death Stranding forever and give us NiOh 2 day and date with the console version. Deal?

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
Of course, gameplay is the most important part but I think that's different from the "fun/entertaining" subject. I personally want games that rely much more on systems with good gameplay that allow for interesting subjects to explore that wouldn't be considered "fun".

Might be that the word "fun" means different things to everyone. But for example Minecraft, I love that game but most of the things you need to do can be very frustrating, take alot of time and at times hard, so not very "fun" but very highly entertaining and here it's all systems and freedom,

Another example would be Morrowind, many would argue it isn't very fun, well at least back in the day I heard that often, in that it is very open and can be very frustrating in it's lack of clarity and often ending up in impossible situation, but it is also one of my favorite games!
In my opinion, fun is anything that makes your time with a piece of media feel rewarding and well spent. Fun isn't just excitement and joy, it can be a whole range of emotions and experiences. So for me, having fun means "I am enjoying my time with this" and not fun means "I am wasting my time with this". Morrowind was tremendous fun because getting lost in the wilderness, being attacked by powerful enemies and dying in the middle of nowhere was all part of the fun. So in the same sense, a game that annoys you, frustrates you, assigns mundane tasks to you, makes you feel sad or angry can be very fun if those feelings are deliberately part of the overall experience and not the byproduct of failed game design.

Yep!

I get it, it's an interactive medium, so by nature you kind of have to make your games interesting and entertaining to play. But interesting and entertaining does not necessarily mean it's traditionally fun. There's absolutely unexplored ground in terms of utilizing the interactive aspect of gaming in a way that meaningfully brings things like stress, hardship and misery to the forefront in service of something thematically important. We've had a few like games about pediatric cancer (That Dragon, Cancer) or life under a totalitarian state (Papers, Please), but by and large they're pretty rare still.

I assume the subtext here is people still bitching about Death Stranding for whatever reason, and boy oh boy am I sick of this topic again
See my answer above for my thoughts on the matter.

Who's deprecating gameplay?

Gameplay can and should be able to exist in service of something that isn't "fun." Both mechanically and thematically.
Read my thoughts above on this. As for who is deprecating gameplay, I think Kojima is with Death Stranding based on every bit of footage I've seen and many reviews I've read.

kafiend

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
In my opinion, fun is anything that makes your time with a piece of media feel rewarding and well spent. Fun isn't just excitement and joy, it can be a whole range of emotions and experiences. So for me, having fun means "I am enjoying my time with this" and not fun means "I am wasting my time with this". Morrowind was tremendous fun because getting lost in the wilderness, being attacked by powerful enemies and dying in the middle of nowhere was all part of the fun. So in the same sense, a game that annoys you, frustrates you, assigns mundane tasks to you, makes you feel sad or angry can be very fun if those feelings are deliberately part of the overall experience and not the byproduct of failed game design.
Most of this conversation about fun is driven by Kojima and DS so on that subject I watched some videos of the game. Piss-arsing around with how my inventory can hold a pizza horizontal so it does not degrade while I carry and deliver it is not my idea of fun at all.
Even as a commentary on modern life and how people have to do things they don't like doing to live or progress with life - it's not fun. Now if I can take a pizza delivery job and then immediately bin the pizza before phoning up whoever ordered it and tell them to go fuck themselves because I got better things to do then fine, amusement to be had.

Bog standard delivery of an item/kill 10x of this and other similar quests have been done to death and usually the only reason I do them in a game is a) Requirement to progress or b) Because there will be other forms of entertainment on the way to completing the quest.
Now quite why I would be delivering pizza in DS I likely will never know. It may be an important part of the game, but at the end of the day its just another shitty delivery job which is not entertaining, clever, unique or fun.

Reactions: Alexandros

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
Most of this conversation about fun is driven by Kojima and DS so on that subject I watched some videos of the game. Piss-arsing around with how my inventory can hold a pizza horizontal so it does not degrade while I carry and deliver it is not my idea of fun at all.
I couldn't agree more.

Echoes

"My destiny is to continue fighting"
Oct 31, 2018
Castelló, Spain
FYI post.

If you have bought Rage's 2 Deluxe Edition on Steam there is a high probability that your extra content is not activated. It happened to me and after checking the forums it seems to be a widespread problem for many people. The solution is to open a support ticket in Bethesda's website and they will do it manually. The first expansion dlc is included in this version so it's important to have the content activated.

Status
Not open for further replies.