Community MetaSteam | November 2020 - There Was a Title Here. It's Gone Now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Unless they are talking about Horizon profits....50 million seems excessive for just porting more titles. There has to be much more to it I think. Probably a new PC client/store + marketing/streaming etc.

Reactions: Shahem

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
I have no hope for more PS exclusives on PC anymore, so if it happens, cool, but not gonna bother hoping for it anymore.
Why would Sony be investing 50 millions then ?
Don't you think it's more than enough to port quite a few PS4 games over ?

I have faith in Queen and Tizoc. :)

Reactions: Ge0force

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Yeah, 50 million is enough to fund an entirely new game. That's not just the costs for porting Bloodborne lmao.

They're not putting a full team on a late port. It's going to be much cheaper than that. If that figure is porting costs, then I could see 50 mil being enough funding for all those rumored ports.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
Well, maybe "hope" is the wrong word to use. It's more that I don't care about waiting for announcements anymore.
I understand. It's okay to feel burned out.

I think we all know more PS4 ports are coming. 50 millions is not much at all in isolation but PC ports can't be THAT expensive right ? It should be more than enough to bring a good chunk of the best of what the PS4 had to offer.

Fine with me.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Anyone here playing this?

I didn't expect the game to be this cheap, it's probably pretty short.

Yeah soo.. its not great. Feels like a cheap Unity game (its made in Unreal, but it has that Unity feeling). Animations are crap, everything looks pretty bad, and its just boring, at least the first 40 minutes I played. Had to keep myself from falling asleep while playing. The first thing you do is shop for milk and toilet paper. Then you walk for 5 minutes slowly while shitty indie music plays, then you run around at a very bland farm searching for items for unlock other items... I cant recommend this right now.

guhguh222444

thou who art undead art chosen
Aug 23, 2020
Man, all this shit keeps pointing to Sony releasing their games on PC so why won’t they announce it? What’s the point in playing so coy over something that’s slowly turning into an open secret?

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
Man, all this shit keeps pointing to Sony releasing their games on PC so why won’t they announce it? What’s the point in playing so coy over something that’s slowly turning into an open secret?
Right now promoting the PS5 is all that matters.

If we hear anything about new PC releases then it won't be before 2021.

It's looking more and more likely they will port more of their back catalogue. Not all of it of course, they will look at what makes sense (commercially successful games on PS4).

Their IPs would feel right at home on PC. Days Gone, The Last of Us, God of War all would sell fantastic on PC.

fokkusu

Burn baby burn🔥🎵
Dec 9, 2018
They want to squeeze all the money from the old cows. PS5 has BC for PS4 so why would they announce PC ports at the same time.

If they drop the PC bomb, they would lose many PS5 orders.

Reason: yup
  • This!
Reactions: Tomasety

fokkusu

Burn baby burn🔥🎵
Dec 9, 2018
To milk some new ones. I'd gladly pay 59.99€ for Bloodborne or God of War on Steam, even on Epic Games Store.
Maybe they are just too afraid to see what would happen :p

Sony is still more hardware company, they should just let it go and focus on software side.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
Maybe they are just too afraid to see what would happen :p
More revenue. That's what they must be after.
I thought gaining new PSN users would be paramount but maybe not.

Anyway, this is looking very good for more AAA Sony games on PC. We just have to be patient.

guhguh222444

thou who art undead art chosen
Aug 23, 2020
Anyway, this is looking very good for more AAA Sony games on PC. We just have to be patient.
It adds on to the corporate report and proves that there's no "it was just talking about the HZD port" excuse. It seems to be the real deal and an ongoing thing that we'll see the results of in the coming years.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
It adds on to the corporate report and proves that there's no "it was just talking about the HZD port" excuse. It seems to be the real deal and an ongoing thing that we'll see the results of in the coming years.
I'm hopeful we will see God of War and Bloodborne in 2021. Probably not much else.
In 2022 maybe The Last of Us and Ghost of Tsushima.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
Sony needs to sell PS5s and announcing Bloodborne for PC while the PS5 BC version is running at 30 fps and with the same frame pacing issues wouldn't be a very good look

:wd_p:
They could also announce it for PS5. Sometimes it seems people forget it's not a PC only thing.

Dekunator

Timmy Tencent owes me money
Apr 17, 2019

I'm honestly tempted to get a Mac now just to play gacha games on a big screen and mostly to have Raikou in FGO in a big screen, I wonder if my better judgement will win or not.
Wonder how this'll work on a Hackintosh

Maybe they could recoup some money by porting the Kingdom Hearts series to PC :sneaky:

• Sad
Reactions: Ascheroth

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
What is this partnership with Epic for HZD? 🤔
This looks like it's from someone's CV, so I wouldn't read too much into them facilitating a partnership with Epic; they're just saying it that way to make themselves look good.

In this case, facilitating a partnership basically means asking Epic if they can release it on their store since they're curating releases. If Steam were still curating, they'd have said partnerships with Epic and Valve or something.

Having provided CV editing/proofing support for colleagues jumping off the sinking ship that was my last employer. I've seen a fair bit of this bullshit over the last 2 years. :ROFLMAO:

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
Weird indeed. The game could not even be pre-ordered on EGS....

By the way, this 50 million number. What is it exactly ? Is it what their PC business is valued at (or maybe valued back in 2018 ?) or is is how much they are willing to spend to grow it ?

Reactions: Ge0force

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Well, I can understand your doubts Shahem and fantomena but please, remember that the PC initiative has been confirmed not one but multiple times by Sony and workers, sure, those are just words, but this year it's a fucking disaster in terms of productivity, I mean, HZD released way later than we all originally thought and all companies have been working as much as they could in the better way possible, so yeah, while I have no right to ask you to be patient nor to believe the information the users have been sharing, I still want to ask you to be patient in the hopes of a better 2021.

The only thing I can do is to show you the facts.

Jim Ryan already confirmed they are looking to expand the PC presence and today we got a confirmation of a budget of initial $50M + a name for this movement, PC BUSINESS, so yeah, it is pretty clear that they sure are working on things at their own pace but well, let's not forget they are releasing a new console, it's a weird year and while we would have loved to see more, I think we will have to be patient.

Plus, now we know that HZD might have done $7,5M in terms of revenue, that's simply impossible to ignore in terms of business opportunities, that much for a 3 year old game? oh wee.

Well, my read of this is that this person in particular was part of the team dealing with Epic to put the game on their service, let's remember that EGS was not open until later after the summer, HZD was already released on both Steam and EGS, so, in my opinion, it just means that it was part of the team that was dealing with epic's team in order to put the game in there.

Weird indeed. The game could not even be pre-ordered on EGS....

By the way, this 50 million number. What is it exactly ? Is it what their PC business is valued at (or maybe valued back in 2018 ?) or is is how much they are willing to spend to grow it ?
Sorry, forgot to answer, initial investment

Sorry for all the big talk, love you all and sometimes I like to talk quite a lot :cat-heart-blob::cat-heart-blob::cat-heart-blob::blobhug:

Last edited:

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
Well, I can understand your doubts Shahem and fantomena but please, remember that the PC initiative has been confirmed not one but multiple times by Sony and workers, sure, those are just words, but this year it's a fucking disaster in terms of productivity, I mean, HZD released way later than we all originally thought and all companies have been working as much as they could in the better way possible, so yeah, while I have no right to ask you to be patient nor to believe the information the users have been sharing, I still want to ask you to be patient in the hopes of a better 2021.

The only thing I can do is to show you the facts.

Jim Ryan already confirmed they are looking to expand the PC presence and today we got a confirmation of a budget of initial $50M + a name for this movement, PC BUSINESS, so yeah, it is pretty clear that they sure are working on things at their own pace but well, let's not forget they are releasing a new console, it's a weird year and while we would have loved to see more, I think we will have to be patient.

Plus, now we know that HZD might have done $7,5M in terms of revenue, that's simply impossible to ignore in terms of business opportunities, that much for a 3 year old game? oh wee.

Well, my read of this is that this person in particular was part of the team dealing with Epic to put the game on their service, let's remember that EGS was not open until later after the summer, HZD was already released on both Steam and EGS, so, in my opinion, it just means that it was part of the team that was dealing with epic's team in order to put the game in there.

Sorry, forgot to answer, initial investment

Sorry for all the big talk, love you all and sometimes I like to talk quite a lot :cat-heart-blob::cat-heart-blob::cat-heart-blob::blobhug:
Thanks a lot as always. :blobhug:

I really want to believe Sony have a lot more planned for PC. We can only trust and be thankful to the people here who have spoken on that matter.

Reactions: Mor

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Thanks a lot as always. :blobhug:

I really want to believe Sony have a lot more planned for PC. We can only trust and be thankful to the people here who have spoken on that matter.
I mean, if your initial investment is 50 million dollars you can bet your Snoppy clock that there are more projects, no port costs that much EVER, it is a complete initiative with a variable investment that will change over time depending on the performance.

50 millions is TIIIIINY as heck if you compare it to similar business plans.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Ports are cheap, in relative terms, for obvious reasons. Especially if you farm them out to chinese porting studios. :toucan:
Simplifying a little but generally speaking a small team of devs of a few different disciplines plus QA is all you need. And time.

I wouldn't read too too much into the 50 million investment considering it's someone writing their own CV.

Reactions: lashman

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
I mean, if your initial investment is 50 million dollars you can bet your Snoppy clock that there are more projects, no port costs that much EVER, it is a complete initiative with a variable investment that will change over time depending on the performance.

50 millions is TIIIIINY as heck if you compare it to similar business plans.
I was confused by that number. If it's indeed the initial investment then clearly there are other ports in the pipeline.
The question is when will we see them becoming official.

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Ports are cheap, in relative terms, for obvious reasons. Especially if you farm them out to chinese porting studios. :toucan:
Simplifying a little but generally speaking a small team of devs of a few different disciplines plus QA is all you need. And time.

I wouldn't read too too much into the 50 million investment considering it's someone writing their own CV.
Keep in mind that even if it's a CV, displaying false information would damage his record, so yeah, while it could not be the exact amount I don't see why we shouldn't keep that in mind, plus Timur knows his deal with LinkedIn data. :cat-heart-blob:

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
"Avengers would have been great if it was a SP game instead of a GaaS."

Yeah..... no. Spiderman works because you follow a single character. All-Star casts don't work well in a story driven SP experience unless you make it very long or into episodes.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I had a pretty good time on Elite. I joined a Squadron and that made the game a lot less tedious to face while considerably easing the learning curve. Especially today.

First, I found a rather unusual market, with an item sold at about 10% of its resell value, which meant that I absolutely scrambled and milked the shit out of it, which seemed a good idea at first considering my finances went from a measly 1.5mil to someplace north of 50 in a few hours. But then I started feeling like drinking bleach out of the repetitiveness of it.

Still, I wasn't about to say no to skipping the grind and I was figuring that the 3.5mil/trip was worth it. Besides, it had a bit of a Euro Truck Simulator vibe. Then someone came online and offered to teach me mining, and oh gods oh lords.

First, it's about a bazillion times more fun than hauling, and buries deep any other spaceship mining I know of in terms of, well, mechanical shit to do. SC has a better mining beam mechanism, but Elite has other types of mining wherein you blow shit up, therefore I'm sorry but I'll be over yonder shooting nuclear nukes into asteroids while giggling maniacally as I hit the red button and the world shatters in the whoompf of a sonic shockwave before space turns to diamond, frozen dust and you peer into the wreckage and fly into that frozen fog to harvest the shinies. It's absolutely incredibly atmospheric and only makes me regret the game doesn't have volumetric fog all over the asteroid belts.

I've been an EvE player for a few years and I have to say, saying that I am enjoying mining still feels a little weird. And yeah, some stuff sells at 1.5mil a pop, which makes it a tad absolutely insanely bucketloads more lucrative than that little trading spot I had found. Though I'll admit that flying with someone relaxed and just happy to share in that time in the black was even more valuable and a really refreshing change from the usual stressful MP landscape.

I still have my qualms with the game, which is to say it regularly throws me into a livid rage against the twisted and perverse minds of the designers that built things into this abominable way which goes against all that is sacred and usable in the world, but in particular computer games.

Interdiction mechanics are ridiculously stupid (throttle down to submit, were you decelerating while you got jumped? Enjoy your little tete-a-tete with the Dread Pirate Roberts). The game suffers from horrible consolization all over the place, and don't you dare talk to me about HOTAS hats when you can't click anything in the cockpit, let alone merge freaking chat tabs together or use it to hold two separate conversations without feeling like you are going through a trial that is breaking a belief in all that is good deep inside your soul. This game is plagued by a shoddy network design where you teleport all over the place while switching gameplay phases and where UI windows can't possibly stay active between them because this is 2020 and who cares about what you had entered in chat before you hit the final FSD countdown. Also, did I mention you can't click on the ship UI, because fuck the desktop, have some retina-ruining fun scrolling your ten pages-deep navigation page with WASD. Networking is so screwed up in that game that even jettisoned cargo has an update tickrate in the single digits and scooping any without baby jesus's holy gift to us mortals, also known as collector limpets, was a challenge. Also, you can't even enter the escape menu during Witch Space because this is clearly Fortran legacy software and enabling it would probably undo the fabric of reality and let in horrors that could break even the soul of EA's accountants.

I guess what I'm saying is that I had fun playing a game that pisses me off on a regular basis. It seems to be a common thing with Elite.

Last edited:

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
"Avengers would have been great if it was a SP game instead of a GaaS."

Yeah..... no. Spiderman works because you follow a single character. All-Star casts don't work well in a story driven SP experience unless you make it very long or into episodes.
The Kamala point of view of the story with bits and pieces of the other avengers was pretty cool, could have work great if it was expended solely as an SP game, but the design of the missions based on the GaaS nature of the game killed it and made it be only an average mode.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Keep in mind that even if it's a CV, displaying false information would damage his record, so yeah, while it could not be the exact amount I don't see why we shouldn't keep that in mind, plus Timur knows his deal with LinkedIn data. :cat-heart-blob:
I'm not saying the linkedin person is lying, just that they could be stretching the meaning of what "new PC business" entails. Some kind of PS Now expansion or whatever could be technically counted as "new PC business".
Anyways, that's not what I actually think, just saying that that embellishing your resume is a fine art.

What I actually think is that it doesn't say that there's $50 million investment. :blobmorning2:
I mean maybe I'm reading it all wrong, but to me it reads that the revenue forecast for the new PC business is/was the $50 mil (quarterly, half-annually?), not that there's an investment of that sum. His (or a team he leads) analysis of the PC market led them to price HZD "aggressively" at $50 instead of $60, and netted them estimated $7.5 mil additional revenue. If we go by the HZD player estimates from playtracker we get to $30+ mil already. I could easily see them forecasting that it will sell about a million at $50 in a given time, and the forecast model might even include whatever AMD money they got.

:crystalblob: :fireblob:

• Hug
Reactions: Mor

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Okay I'm not sure if they DS4 is like this but there might be hope for audio on the DS for PC!!!!!! For some reason when I connect my DS my audio switches to "controller speaker". So you know how with Death Stranding you could hear BB on the DS4? You might be able to do that now on PC with the DS if Kojima officially supports it and makes an update.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Yeah soo.. its not great. Feels like a cheap Unity game (its made in Unreal, but it has that Unity feeling). Animations are crap, everything looks pretty bad, and its just boring, at least the first 40 minutes I played. Had to keep myself from falling asleep while playing. The first thing you do is shop for milk and toilet paper. Then you walk for 5 minutes slowly while shitty indie music plays, then you run around at a very bland farm searching for items for unlock other items... I cant recommend this right now.
Aw, that's disappointing to hear. I also found this review on YT and it's indeed pretty bad. A real shame as I loved the movie.

• Sad

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Soooo..... I guess it should be to no surprise but the PS5 will not support 1440p... Why Sony why? I'm guessing that they just assumed that no one would want to hook up their PS5 to a 1440p monitor or something.

I have not checked with MS but I would assume that the XSX does support 1440p especially since that seems to be the key thing for the SXS.

Oh Sony so you can render an image at 1440p but rather then output at 1440p you things it's better to upscale to 4K it downsample to 1080p.

• Sad
Reactions: FeedMeAStrayCat

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Starting in an hour

Edit: Sale page on steam

Last edited:

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
I'm not saying the linkedin person is lying, just that they could be stretching the meaning of what "new PC business" entails. Some kind of PS Now expansion or whatever could be technically counted as "new PC business".
Anyways, that's not what I actually think, just saying that that embellishing your resume is a fine art.

What I actually think is that it doesn't say that there's $50 million investment. :blobmorning2:
I mean maybe I'm reading it all wrong, but to me it reads that the revenue forecast for the new PC business is/was the $50 mil (quarterly, half-annually?), not that there's an investment of that sum. His (or a team he leads) analysis of the PC market led them to price HZD "aggressively" at $50 instead of $60, and netted them estimated $7.5 mil additional revenue. If we go by the HZD player estimates from playtracker we get to $30+ mil already. I could easily see them forecasting that it will sell about a million at $50 in a given time, and the forecast model might even include whatever AMD money they got.

:crystalblob: :fireblob:
While your guess it's correct and would make sense, there are a few wording details that make me incline to what I say, if it was a time-area investment (quaterly, half-annually, as you said...) the correct way to put that would be indicating such time in order to not create confusion to other potential data.

However, it hardly matters, we will see next year what happens.

That PlayStation PC business is probably their webstore. lmao
That's under services and if it was the case it would have been disclosed.

Status
Not open for further replies.