Community MetaSteam | November 2020 - There Was a Title Here. It's Gone Now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Im gonna save these for later if I feel sad.

Other than that I can finally start enjoying video games when I wake up tomorrow. I rarely stress (which is a good thing of course), but the last few days have been stressfull and I've had a lack of sleep.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Im gonna save these for later if I feel sad.

Other than that I can finally start enjoying video games when I wake up tomorrow. I rarely stress (which is a good thing of course), but the last few days have been stressfull and I've had a lack of sleep.

Hahaha they said the F word on CNN.... Yes I'm that childish.

• Toucan
Reactions: ISee

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Very curious to see what the actual work done on the Mass Effect remasters are. Mods on PC made the games look pretty good but those are mostly texture mods, so the roots still showed very much. Also they better have actual official controller support this time. :D
Will they make the run animations in ME3 less goofy? Time will tell.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
I'd take upgraded textures and official gamepad support for the first game (gamepad mod works fine tbh). Improved animation and lighting would be nice too, as the games still have that dull PS360 era lighting. My only concern is the price, but I'll get it at a decent discount regardless.

Reactions: Tomasety and ISee

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I'm playing Apex and I decided to jump to the JPN server and they seem to be full. I guess this is why Tokyo has multiple servers.

I'm happy to say that Apex doesn't crash on me!!!!!!

Also when on the JPN servers it was my first time come across some one playing on console. It just shows a controller

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Re: Mass Effect remastered

Last I heard they were trying to make some gameplay changes of 1. Seems like this is not confirmed? Mechanics-wise, I like their changes in 2 so I would kill for a ME1 played like 2, but it is more of a remake than remaster then.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
The Meta changes in Apex is weird and I don't really like some of them. Some of them are kinda cool I guess but others not so much.

Somehow both the prowler and Peacekeeper are two very OP guns and now snipers have their own ammo type, before they were either heavy or energy ammo.

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland
Re: Mass Effect remastered

Last I heard they were trying to make some gameplay changes of 1. Seems like this is not confirmed? Mechanics-wise, I like their changes in 2 so I would kill for a ME1 played like 2, but it is more of a remake than remaster then.
I don't think it was ever said what they were doing with ME1. It was only said that they decided that it needs more work to be closer to the other two games in presentation. What that entails, we don't know.

• Sad
Reactions: Cacher

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Humble is bad at giving visibility to the Humble Original/extras. This month, all I see is this:

So the picture is too small, there is no info about the dev, and I have to look for a video of a Humble Choice "unboxer" on Youtube.

Edit:

Last edited:

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
People already know, but Terminator Resistance is actually good, you notice the lower budget but also how much effort and love for the franchise went into it.

It's a better licensed game than Avengers.
Who would have guessed: Cooperate GaaS scheme < making a game

Echoes

"My destiny is to continue fighting"
Oct 31, 2018
Castelló, Spain
People already know, but Terminator Resistance is actually good, you notice the lower budget but also how much effort and love for the franchise went into it.

I agree, it was surprisingly good despite the low budget, like you mentioned.
If somebody is interested I wrote a short review on Steam (I know, shameless promotion :cold-sweat::face-savouring-delicious-food:)

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019

I've been hearing nothing but good things about it since launch, just waiting for the right price to nab it

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Trying to budget an Asus TUF VG27AQ, a new Xbox pad
and a cat tree

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Trying to budget an Asus TUF VG27AQ, a new Xbox pad
and a cat tree
I've not been following console news.
Any benefits in getting the new Xbox controller?

What about the new PS controller? I assume most games still won't support it natively?

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
nope ... i'm waiting for steam

this is the first AssCreed i'm not pre-ordering :p
Well Im not pre-ordering either. :) Im playing it via 1 month of Uplay+ first then wait for it to be either dirt cheap on Uplay or Steam down the road for ownership.

And since I don't have much problem with Uplay and the game being made by Ubi, I don't have a big problem with it.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Well Im not pre-ordering either. :) Im playing it via 1 month of Uplay+ first then wait for it to be either dirt cheap on Uplay or Steam down the road for ownership.
i guess i should've specified - i don't do subscriptions either :p

but yeah, i'm just waiting for steam (whenever that happens)

i haven't even finished Odyssey yet ... or begun playing it :p still have to finish DLC for AssOranges

Reactions: Leon Belmont

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Humble is bad at giving visibility to the Humble Original/extras. This month, all I see is this:

So the picture is too small, there is no info about the dev, and I have to look for a video of a Humble Choice "unboxer" on Youtube.
You'd expect your own published games to get some highlight.

Looks good, glad I subbed this time.

Speaking of, I need suggestions.
I need one pick from my Humble Choice this month. Picked YK2, DS3 and already have Darkwood

1. Tsiquoe
2. Little Misfotune
3. Don't know about others, lol

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California

What about the new PS controller? I assume most games still won't support it natively?
I can't remember if there were any "huge" improvements but with the new one it now has a share button and also the DPad is different.

I have the dualsense controller and as of right now games don't support it but you can use it as a generic controller on Steam and be able to use it in game. I'm currently using it on Apex Legends right now. Just be aware that with the Dual Sense controller you will need to supply your own cable (either USB C to USB C or USB C to USB A, to connect to your PC) being set up as a generic controller it doesn't even have rumble. Also if you tap a it on the controller it vibrates (small shock waves, ripples, like your voices echoes sort of a thing), which is sort of cool and I'm guessing that's is were their version of "HD rumble" comes into place.
Who knew, marketing numbers bear only a distant relationship to reality.
What happened?

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
There was a demo in a festival at some point.
Looks pretty great, but it felt oddly heavy and unresponsive to me.
Oh sucks to hear that the control is unresponsive. Hopefully they can release the demo again so I can try it.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
Still got it active from legion. Might as well take a quick glance.
Excitement level is at 4/10 though.
Is Legion good?
I can't remember if there were any "huge" improvements but with the new one it now has a share button and also the DPad is different.

I have the dualsense controller and as of right now games don't support it but you can use it as a generic controller on Steam and be able to use it in game. I'm currently using it on Apex Legends right now. Just be aware that with the Dual Sense controller you will need to supply your own cable (either USB C to USB C or USB C to USB A, to connect to your PC) being set up as a generic controller it doesn't even have rumble. Also if you tap a it on the controller it vibrates (small shock waves, ripples, like your voices echoes sort of a thing), which is sort of cool and I'm guessing that's is were their version of "HD rumble" comes into place.

What happened?
How much better is Dual Sense if compared to DS4?

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

MetaMember
Oct 20, 2018
I kinda expected Legion to be good because of Clint Hocking.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
How about wireless, have you tried it?

I'm not ditching my DS4 until it's broken and/or DualSense get an official support on Steam.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019

Because of GamePass and Microsoft being Microsoft, I have to jump from a DS4 to an Xbox controller. As I like them both, it's 'just' a being 'forced to' and 'budget' issue.
And for the model, well a new one is coming this week, might as well buy it for possible enhancements.

Avern

MetaMember
May 14, 2020
AFAIK, nobody here plays Dead by Daylight, so I doubt anyone cares, but I really need to vent and get this out of my system. My experience in this game soured so much that I burned out on gaming for about a month, and I'm still feeling pretty bitter about it.

DBD has a honeymoon period like nothing I've ever played. Its core gameplay loop is not only fun, but unique, full of depth, and easy to get into. I no-lifed the game for about a month when I started, and continued to play regularly even after that initial rush wore off. There is a legitimately brilliant game at its core.

It's also a really hard game, and like I said, it's unique. Outside from a handful of killers that play vaguely like conventional FPS characters, there are basically no areas where the skills you've built up in other games will transfer to DBD. As a new player, you're left flailing around helplessly. It's still fun (since your opponents are also flailing), but it takes a long time before you're able to start playing purposefully. I mean hundreds of hours to get the basics down for just one role. The result is that the overwhelming majority of players are comically bad at the game. Thanks to a bad ranking system that overvalues time spent, even most of the players in the top ranks are unable to put up a fight.

Unfortunately, since it's so hard to learn, that means you get hundreds of hours of playtime before you start to notice that holy shit the game is a fucking mess. Maps are randomly generated, and the algorithm for generating them is trash. Sometimes a map will just give the survivors nothing to work with, other times it'll give them the most obscenely powerful structures imaginable. And that doesn't even take into account the fact that roughly half the maps are terrible regardless of RNG, due to terrible fixed elements or abnormally strong/weak structures.. About a third of the killers have powers that remove any meaningful way for survivors to interact with them, so they're really boring to play against. Worst of all, the strongest strategies for killers are really unfun for survivors. Instead of fundamental changes to fix these problems, survivors are given a bunch of overpowered perks that act as bandaids while being miserable for the killer to play against. And then there's the whole item system, which enables players to bring things into a match that will completely break the balance.

All of this misery bleeds out into the community. Once you've climbed up enough in the ranking system, it's nonstop toxicity as far as the eye can see. Going a couple of matches without at least one ragequit is like finding a unicorn. If you manage to put up a halfway decent chase, most killers will BM you as hard as humanly possible for daring to try to play the game. As for survivors, I'm not sure it's physically possible to get through an entire match without one of them teabagging the killer. And then you get the slur-riddled postgame chat!

The developers don't seem capable of fixing any of this. They primarily balance the game around statistics instead of the subjective player experience. So the fact that an item players can bring into the match is broken doesn't matter, because it doesn't get brought that often! This completely degenerate perk doesn't get brought that often, so it must be fine! (Said perk doesn't get brought that often because it's locked behind a paywall.) No need to nerf this miserable, degenerate killer or buff this pathetically weak one, their kill rates are fine!

Since almost nobody is playing at a level that I would describe as competent, the statistics reflect something entirely different from the experience you have once you get the hang of things. The game is brilliant fun when nothing terribly bullshit comes up, but when things do, it's the worst game I have ever played. No hyperbole. I've played some real stinkers, but DBD tricks you into caring before tossing you into a trashfire of a match. It's awful.

Normally, I'd get to this point and just quit, but thanks to Fortnite's wonderful contribution to gaming culture, Dead by Daylight also comes with its very own battle pass!

I'm intimately familiar with exploitative game design, thanks to a gacha game that took me for a wild ride. Turns out, it's not just lootboxes that I'm susceptible to. When I hit the point with DBD where I could start to understand just how miserable most of my matches were, it was in the middle of of a battle pass season. For the next couple of weeks, I continued playing (a lot) while actively despising the game. It was a very recognizable feeling. (Ever spend $1000 on a gacha game in a day? It's like a less soul-crushing version of that.) Rational me was saying, "You're having no fun, the rewards on this battlepass aren't even that good. You already got the hag skin. Just stop." Rat-in-a-box me was saying, "You've already got like 50/70 levels, just go a little further. It's not that many hours a day. Don't you want that hideous charm you'll never equip? You gotta get the axe to finish that outfit (even though it looks like trash and you'll never equip it)."

I wasn't able to just stop playing in the middle of the season, but after the battle pass finished, I was thankfully able to back out. Haven't played since. And having experienced it, holy wow fuck battlepasses, fuck Epic for popularizing them, and fuck Behavior for using them in Dead by Daylight. They may not be as financially damaging as gacha trash, but I feel like they're just as awful They look for a similar group of people with psychological vulnerabilities, but exploit them for their time instead of their money. Fuck gaming as a service.

After burning out hard from all that, I just mindlessly played comfort games for a while. I've finally gotten back to playing some stuff though, and I gotta say:

Teardown is really good! I expected a tech demo, and got way more than that.
I started Terminator Resistance and it seems quite fun so far. That 60 Metacritic vs 92% positive Steam reviews dichotomy is wild.
The previews for Empire of Sin have been glowing. I'm starting to feel pretty hype for that.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Who knew, marketing numbers bear only a distant relationship to reality.
What happened?
Presented, for your further enjoyment, SMUG playing Cuphead part 2
Oh yeah Cuphead Is out now on PS4 right?

How about wireless, have you tried it?

I'm not ditching my DS4 until it's broken and/or DualSense get an official support on Steam.
I have not tried wireless but from some of the videos that I have seen only wired works. I will give it a try later today and see what happens though.

Is Legion good?

How much better is Dual Sense if compared to DS4?
Right out of the box and before official support for it, well it lacks rumble. I guess that the DPad does feel a bit nicer but I don't really feel a major sense of difference between the two.

Avern

MetaMember
May 14, 2020
You'd expect your own published games to get some highlight.

Looks good, glad I subbed this time.

Speaking of, I need suggestions.
I need one pick from my Humble Choice this month. Picked YK2, DS3 and already have Darkwood

1. Tsiquoe
2. Little Misfotune
3. Don't know about others, lol
Give Smile for Me a look. Tsioque and Misfortune aren't bad, but I think Smile for Me is a better adventure game than either of them. It's charming and has some fun puzzles. That 99% positive steam reviews isn't a coincidence. Misfortune's a fine choice too, especially if you liked Fran Bow, since they're set in the same universe. That said, Misfortune is closer to a walking sim than an adventure game and has an absolutely bizarre tone, so ymmv.

Pass on Tsioque though. I didn't dislike it, but I found its puzzles frustrating and it's doesn't have much of a story. It's not in the same league as the other two.

Reactions: MegaApple

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Lol, I came across a new upcoming laucher on Reddit called Ultra: Home

But the games advertised on the screenshot doesn't exist, neither does the studio (neither does the publisher Frostfire or the dev Padplus) as far as I have google searched.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
Status
Not open for further replies.