Community MetaSteam | November 2021 - Bienvenidos a Mexico. Sombreros no incluidos

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
The update turned the game into a real metroidvania, fine tuned the controls and added several new areas and weapons. I like it a lot, and recent user reviews seem to be very positive as well. Definitely worth a second chance!

Interesting, thanks for the answer! I remember the controls feeling really off and being a large part of why I found it sloppy at the time so the bolded is really good to hear. I'll definitely give it another shot then.

Reactions: Ge0force

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Bright Memory Infinite works fine on Linux after I managed to get past the intro cutscene (and the way I did: play that part via Gefore Now). The problem is the video playback that Valve promised they'd fix in time for launch. Thats usually the problem when something doesnt work: some proprietary video codec that doesnt play nice with Wine/Proton (the main other reasons are, of course, anti-cheat or DRM.)

But anyway, its a fun game! :)

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Today i stumbled upon some of the James Horner music and it really made me sad that we lost him because for me he was one of the best composers out there. He always had that cheerful note and melody even for some of his most depressing movies. And i would have really loved to see him compose music for video game but unfortunately that can't happen.

Reactions: lashman

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
No, you're thinking of someone else - I can't remember who it is either. Mike Rose is the guy who posts long Twitter threads with very frank musings on sales and promotions across various PC and console platforms.
Ah ok, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

I don't see why anyone in their right mind would voluntarily spend money on the EGS when there's literally every other option available.

Reactions: Tomasety

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
What's the best console version of the old Prince of Persia trilogy that also emulates nicely on PC? GameCube seems to have a bit too low res textures and the odd hiccup in Dolphin for example (not performance related it seems, dunno if it's like that in its original form). I reinstalled the PC versions but they seem a bit finnicky, especially the last one. Though dgVoodoo2 appears to work with all of them despite being relatively modern games and it fixes some occasional weird fullscreen fullbright glow happening in the last game, on the other hand it also crashed on first boot so I'm thinking if it happens later while playing it normally that will suck. In the first game it seems to cause a broken effect right on the title screen but everything else seems fine. That game was fine without dgVoodoo2 as well other than the lack of higher resolution settings so maybe I should just not use it for any but the last.

Anyway, Sands of Time is still a wonderful game, I like the simplicity of the combat (more than in the sequels which added all the combos and stuff like it was trying to be DMC without the correct substance and feel to the hits, I guess I forgot that this series also pioneered the Batman/AC-esque combat system too), jumping on and behind the enemy to slice them all day, and the manual platforming is excellent as always.

• Eyes

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Ah ok, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

I don't see why anyone in their right mind would voluntarily spend money on the EGS when there's literally every other option available.
The only reason to use EGS at this point is when Epic does their extreme couponing. Undercutting Steam's price is the only card in their hand right now because the rest of their platform fucking sucks and people don't want to give them the benefit of the doubt because they've literally spent millions to keep games off Steam when they could've spent that money on making a good platform.

I actually think we're due a sale where they go insane with the coupons again.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Reading bad things about Elden Ring performance on consoles. I know it's a technical test, but it makes me happy I will be playing it on PC. Not gonna risk playing a Soulslike anymore with mediocre or bad performance if I can play it on PC. Basically why I stopped Demon's Souls on my PS5 after the Geforce leak.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Reading bad things about Elden Ring performance on consoles. I know it's a technical test, but it makes me happy I will be playing it on PC. Not gonna risk playing a Soulslike anymore with mediocre or bad performance if I can play it on PC. Basically why I stopped Demon's Souls on my PS5 after the Geforce leak.
Death, taxes, From not being able to optimize a game to save their lives

Kal1m3r0

MetaMember
Jan 9, 2021
To be fair streamers said the game ran better when they had access last week (pretty solid 60fps on PS5), so bad performances were probably due to network overload or something

• Eyes

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I don't get why everyone in my feed is fixated on the lack of fog in the Trilogy. I like infinite draw distances whether a map is small or big. I hate pop in whether it's hidden by fog or not. Unless fog is just weather and not permanent at all times naturally. I don't get the illusion of scale by hiding what's 500m ahead if I can still ride a motorcycle across the whole area in x time showing it's tiny. I always also loved old PC versions of games like Driver that had way increased long draw distance sliders etc., love mods for old PC games like Morrowind that add distant lands a la Skyrim so it's not empty void fog far away too. Fog isn't atmosphere if it's just to hide pop in on ancient hardware, it's atmosphere when it has purpose for the tone of a given area or specific time, like a swamp at night or a desert during a sand storm etc. Sure, having fog was nicer than abrupt pop in back in the day but if there's no pop in any more, no thanks to the fog either. Though they should do something to hide the corners of the "ocean" or whatever that are especially visible when using some aircrafts or similar, that's a different matter.

The character models of the new trilogy however look pretty horrible. The trailer was nice enough but anything they didn't pay close attention to I guess ended up being a disaster, seen all kinds of cut scenes with really bad secondary characters and even worse fitting animations on them (I guess unchanged, just not matching the new models). The rain effect also does look pretty bad. Other things like foliage do look great. But I wasn't a fan of the games anyway so Idc.

/2c.

Last edited:
  • Eyes

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
I don't get why everyone in my feed is fixated on the lack of fog in the Trilogy. I like infinite draw distances whether a map is small or big. I hate pop in whether it's hidden by fog or not. Unless fog is just weather and not permanent at all times naturally. I don't get the illusion of scale by hiding what's 500m ahead if I can still ride a motorcycle across the whole area in x time showing it's tiny. I always also loved old PC versions of games like Driver that had way increased long draw distance sliders etc., love mods for old PC games like Morrowind that add distant lands a la Skyrim so it's not empty void fog far away too. Fog isn't atmosphere if it's just to hide pop in on ancient hardware, it's atmosphere when it has purpose for the tone of a given area or specific time, like a swamp at night or a desert during a sand storm etc. Sure, having fog was nicer than abrupt pop in back in the day but if there's no pop in any more, no thanks to the fog either.

The character models of the new trilogy however look pretty horrible. The trailer was nice enough but anything they didn't pay close attention to I guess ended up being a disaster, seen all kinds of cut scenes with really bad secondary characters and even worse fitting animations on them (I guess unchanged, just not matching the new models). The rain effect also does look pretty bad. Other things like foliage do look great. But I wasn't a fan of the games anyway so Idc.

/2c.
The issue that I've seen is that in spite of removing the fog there's still pop in and the lack of fog just makes the game look really fucking bad.

Like without the fog the game looks straight up unfinished lol

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I mean, yeah, I'm sure it doesn't render NPCs at the end of the map, but if details fade in smoothly at decent distance then viewing the whole game world from afar isn't the problem, everything else around it is (ie like he says that area had a different atmosphere with clouds and things, those should def be in as I said, and naturally fog can still be in where necessary for atmosphere, just not necessarily hide everything as if it's Silent Hill or something, just make things fitting).

• Eyes

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I don't get why everyone in my feed is fixated on the lack of fog in the Trilogy. I like infinite draw distances whether a map is small or big. I hate pop in whether it's hidden by fog or not. Unless fog is just weather and not permanent at all times naturally. I don't get the illusion of scale by hiding what's 500m ahead if I can still ride a motorcycle across the whole area in x time showing it's tiny. I always also loved old PC versions of games like Driver that had way increased long draw distance sliders etc., love mods for old PC games like Morrowind that add distant lands a la Skyrim so it's not empty void fog far away too. Fog isn't atmosphere if it's just to hide pop in on ancient hardware, it's atmosphere when it has purpose for the tone of a given area or specific time, like a swamp at night or a desert during a sand storm etc. Sure, having fog was nicer than abrupt pop in back in the day but if there's no pop in any more, no thanks to the fog either. Though they should do something to hide the corners of the "ocean" or whatever that are especially visible when using some aircrafts or similar, that's a different matter.

/2c.
When you do remaster you need to respect source material in my opinion. That includes design limited by hardware of that time. Hard part is separating what has benefits if you upgrade it and what doesn't. All of those 3 games (especially SA) are designed to hide in a best way things they couldn't render. But that was done since development started so things are designed around that they didn't just add fog later. Everything from terrain to fog was designed to hide map loading.

Do if you will just do remaster you need to respect that design in my opinion. You can push fog further, change thicknes of the fog but you can't just remove it just because you can.

• Eyes

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018

fearthedawn

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Geez, DLSS continues to be dark sorcery.
Tried out Bright Memory Infinite. Settled on Medium Ray Tracing and Quality DLSS on 1440p. Mostly 50-60 fps though it does drop significantly when a lot more goes on, probably need to drop something (I guess either Ray Tracing or DLSS)
But anyway, I wanted to compare DLSS Quality with native, so I switched that in an area where I had locked 60 fps.
Without DLSS those 60 turned into 4.
Four. :sweaty-blob:
it's good but that really would be magic, maybe you're just at the edge of vram capacity and going up to native rendering res makes you exceed your limit?

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Alextended Try locking FPS for POP 2 and 3
Lock to what and what issues do high fps cause? I already global lock to 96 and haven't noticed anything wrong on that front yet. But anyway I found that just reducing the effects to medium in the last game of the trilogy prevents the fullscreen fog error from happening (at least so far from certain light sources in the area I was changing settings in). I guess I'll just play them as is without even dgVoodoo2 use, they run fine. Although the last game also stretches the videos if you do use a widescreen resolution so I'm gonna stick to 4:3 for all of them I suppose (I don't really mind that, there are probably widescreen hacks for the first two games but I cba). I think I'm good now, so long as they don't crash. Played the beginning of each game and they're fine. Although I guess I'd have liked to use a gamepad but like most older games they have no way to select which one to use and they default to my unsuitable fighting commander or flight stick instead of the DualShock4 (with DS4Windows as Xbox pad) and I don't wanna unplug the rest. Mkb controls are fine, that's how I played the original back then. Edit: again the last game has a small issue, changing the mouse sensitivity only works for the cursor in menus, camera movement is slow in third and even the first person look mode but I guess it's not a huge issue with the way the camera is in these games (yet it works properly in the first two games so that's good).

Last edited:
  • Eyes

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Erm Rockstar, you can lock the barn but the fucking horse is already running around in the fields. Muppets.

Rockstar currently watching this video for ideas.

• Eyes