Community MetaSteam | November 2022 - Miles, you gotta go fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 113

Last call. Will be delisted tomorrow.
Considering they are based in Japan, the game might not even have until tomorrow, it may be gone very soon. ;)

If anyone enjoys grid-based dungeon crawlers, this one is worth a look, especially because it features a different setting than what you usually get in the genre.

Blu

MetaMember
Mar 12, 2019
They don't state a reason.

Reactions: lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
So this Valkyrie Elysium thing is not an rpg at all this time eh?

Simplistic character action game is what it feels like in the first couple of "quests". Talk to odin in Valhalla, teleport to Midgard quest area, beeline from A to B with some detours for chests and what not killing all enemies on the way, maybe find some sub quests in the same area, upgrade your weapons to get more moves, upgrade your stats, get various spells and ghost helpers etc., that's about it.

Combat kinda uses the Musou mould but feels better with lock on and sticky aim, but yeah you chain normal attacks and finish with a different strong attack by the number of normal ones. Get double jump, double dodge, more aerial moves, unlock slow motion stuff on perfectly timed dodge/block, etc. Character action like. Weapons have their own movesets and each are upgreadable for more moves but they probably just get given at specific progress points each.

Also the blocking and dodging feels not responsive at all as it doesn't cancel moves and you tend to button mash and have elaborate animations so never have time to react, lol. The first boss was alright, I did better since it had easy tells and patterns so I knew to like, only do a few hits then wait for its attacks 🤷‍♂️

The quest areas are really simplistic in mechanics and layouts (and not sure if complex layouts would improve it or make it worse given the mechanics).

Also it kinda looks like a PS3 game. There's a weird artsy shader on top of everything, I'm not sure if it improves it or not. But it's nice enough and lightweight.

Last edited:

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I was just going through old humble bundles and redeeming stuff (up to July 2022 now :p), and failed to redeem Legion TD2 since I already have it.

Here's the key (using hidereply so it's clear when it's claimed):
Revealed content
MDGPA-FNLDE-87DE9

Reactions: inky and QFNS

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
About region swapping.

Whenever a post is linked it doesn't even load to the post, just shows me top of the page. I then try to find keywords using the find function.

Found nothing. Mentioned it and all they said "works for me" lol while not even mentioning what they linked. Then I asked directly and nothing still lol.

So I will never know lol.

• Hug
Reactions: lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
About region swapping.

Whenever a post is linked it doesn't even load to the post, just shows me top of the page. I then try to find keywords using the find function.

Found nothing. Mentioned it and all they said "works for me" lol while not even mentioning what they linked. Then I asked directly and nothing still lol.

oh, huh

it might've been spindoctor's post, not sure, though - i haven't checked, sorry :(

uraizen

Oct 7, 2018

Simplistic character action game is what it feels like in the first couple of "quests". Talk to odin in Valhalla, teleport to Midgard quest area, beeline from A to B with some detours for chests and what not killing all enemies on the way, maybe find some sub quests in the same area, upgrade your weapons to get more moves, upgrade your stats, get various spells and ghost helpers etc., that's about it.

Combat kinda uses the Musou mould but feels better with lock on and sticky aim, but yeah you chain normal attacks and finish with a different strong attack by the number of normal ones. Get double jump, double dodge, more aerial moves, unlock slow motion stuff on perfectly timed dodge/block, etc. Character action like. Weapons have their own movesets and each are upgreadable for more moves but they probably just get given at specific progress points each.

Also the blocking and dodging feels not responsive at all as it doesn't cancel moves and you tend to button mash and have elaborate animations so never have time to react, lol. The first boss was alright, I did better since it had easy tells and patterns so I knew to like, only do a few hits then wait for its attacks 🤷‍♂️
I wish I could get this kind of overview for the combat of any action game.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
I wish I could get this kind of overview for the combat of any action game.
I agree, and it goes beyond even action games for me.
I know a lot of people like to read reviews, but that's the kind of actual explanations of the gameplay I'd like to see more instead of how great the areas look for screenshots, how amazing was the direct-to-DVD story "for a videogame"... and how fucked the framepacing is.

Always feel like reviews are incredibly shallow in what matters, if they are even able to compare between games in the same franchise. Knowing what Elden Ring feels like is more important than knowing it has "so many weapons to choose from"... from the old games when balance was better.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
For Sackboy since I pre-ordered the game don't I get a pre-order exclusive DLC for the game? Or at those skins just early unlocks?

I don't see them in my Steam library and wanted to make sure before I request a refund from Voidu.

Deleted member 113

For Sackboy since I pre-ordered the game don't I get a pre-order exclusive DLC for the game? Or at those skins just early unlocks?

I don't see them in my Steam library and wanted to make sure before I request a refund from Voidu.
Pre-orders received a pre-order bonus that is listed on the DLC tab as "Sackboy Pre-Purchase Entitlements". This:

I pre-ordered it, and have it in my DLC tab.
Do note that, if you check your licenses, my key activated as "Sackboy™: A Big Adventure" (unlike most games, the license doesn't have "pre-order" in the name), so you won't be able to tell if your key is for a pre-order copy or not through there.
You have to check the DLC tab, and check for that "Sackboy Pre-Purchase Entitlements" entry.

As for being early unlocks, I believe (but I'm not 100% sure) that these aren't early unlocks (unlike the Spider-Man games), I think they were costumes that were part of a Digital Deluxe Edition that's available on PS4/PS5, but since I'm yet to play it (still finishing Spider-Man :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:), I can't fully confirm there's no other way to obtain them, or that they won't be released for free in the future (there's already 5 other costume DLCs available for free on Steam).

Reactions: PC-tan and lashman

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Nope it's a DMC style game and to me at least, as someone who can't stand those types of games, what they did to Valkyrie is offensive. The game barely has any story or character development (just like those games) and all you do is go through bland linear levels using the repetitive combat and doing the same moves over and over for 10-15 hours (just like those games). I think the reviews were in the mid 60s or something like that and it totally earned that score.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I enjoy such games though I'm no expert mastering them, Valkyrie seems tame and unexciting in comparison to most renowned ones like DMC or Bayonetta. Or even low budget stuff like Marlow Briggs. Those games tend to have set pieces and stuff to change up the pace, the level design and everything helps too. I didn't play Valkyrie long but its formula seemed bland in comparison with stuff beyond the basic gameplay only happening when you go back to Valhalla where you just speak to Odin. I guess there will be other characters and the ghosts with minor introductions as you acquire them eventually, but still...

Last edited:

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
About region swapping.

Yeah they were linking my post from a few months ago. If the link still doesn't work, it's from the August Steam thread and the post is #1372 on page 28.

The purpose of the post is to debunk the misinformation going around that Steam region swapping is hard to do and so there are likely not many people doing it. I detailed just how easy it is to achieve a region change. Also there seems to be this notion, even on this forum, that developers are simply lying when they mention that they are seeing a hugely disproportionate number of sales from Argentina and Turkey. Developers don't share their stats publicly but they have telemetry telling them exactly where their games are being bought and played from. They can see that sales from Argentina are outpacing sales from other traditionally bigger/affluent markets like European countries. Then they also see that the number of people playing the game from those bigger markets are (non trivially) more than the number of sales they got from there. There's no possible explanation for this phenomena to keep happening over and over again unless you accept that region swapping is a huge problem. There has been a thread in the Steam dev forum since around 2019 where devs have been talking about this issue. Back then when it started the concern was limited to the inflation in those countries causing the currencies to get weaker but eventually it switched over to talking about region swapping abuse. This is a big problem that has been going on for years and it's a shame Valve couldn't do something about it until it was too late.

I was meaning to share some thoughts about the possible effects of the new default regional pricing matrix that Valve introduced a few weeks ago but I didn't because I figured nobody would really care. For most countries the default prices went up by 10%-30% which is roughly the cost of living increase we're seeing in all walks of life these days. That's why the changes were not a big problem for most people. There are only about half a dozen countries where the default prices went up by 50% or more. Prices in Argentina and Turkey went up by 400%-600% which is absolutely ruinous. Both countries have seen sharp currency devaluations so people from there would have expected steep increases but this ~5x increase in prices is absolutely ridiculous. Valve has, inadvertently or otherwise, punished the people who actually live in those two countries for the large scale region swapping that was occurring. What will happen now is that sales from those countries will decrease. But, it won't be because people stopped region swapping. Because even the new prices are still lower than they are in the US and EU for example. So the people who region swap will still get the games cheaper than their home region, but people who actually live in Argentina and Turkey will no longer be able to afford the new prices, so the decrease in sales will be from actual residents of those countries. And region swapping will continue unabated. It's a disastrous solution to the problem.

My country (India) has gotten the third highest default price increase of about 80%-100%. Basically prices have more or less doubled. I can assure you that the buying power of people here has not doubled in the 6 or so years since the last time regional prices were set. I'm supremely fortunate enough to be able to buy pretty much any game I want whether it has regional pricing or not but even I'm extremely hesitant about what I'll get to buy going forward. It used to be that I would see an interesting looking indie game and think "Why not, it's just 569 bucks". Now that same game will cost 1100 bucks with the new pricing and that's a big enough difference to make me think several times and likely just skip it. And someone might think "Well, it used to cost you $7 and now it costs you $14 but that's still less than the $25 I'm being asked to pay so why complain about it?". Imagine if this kind of increase happened in your currency. Suppose you enjoy buying indie games for $25 and they suddenly start costing $50 each. Would you modify your buying habits if 60€ games started costing 110€? Now think how much worse that kind of increase will affect poor countries.

Anecdotally speaking, I saw a huge increase in game purchases from India back in 2015 when regional pricing and regional payment support was added to Steam. And it has been ongoing growth since then. Even today there are kids who have been pirating games for 10 years who get their first job out of college and start to buy them. Indian gaming spaces online have people asking the most basic questions like whether they can only download games from Steam one time after purchase or not. You still see people posting in amazement (and disbelief) when they buy the entire Arkham games bundle for like 300 bucks or whatever. Or the Metro bundle. Or the Bioshock bundle. I don't know what's going to happen with that going forward.

Most publishers had already abandoned regional pricing well before Valve made these changes so the effect on bigger games won't really be noticeable. I can only laugh at the folks who think that big publishers will now lower their already inflated prices because Valve's own default pricing has increased. That's not how companies have ever worked. This is mostly going to affect indie game pricing and it's a shame because those are often some of the best games of any year. Just as one last personal example, Shadows Over Loathing just came out and it is priced a good 25% lower than Valve's recommended price and even that feels too high to me. A lot of developers are holding off on increasing prices of their existing games because of the holiday sale season. Some developers are still mysteriously releasing their games with the old regional pricing defaults. It's going to get a whole lot worse from next year when everyone shifts over to the new prices.

Deleted member 113

Since it's a boring Sunday afternoon, and with the sales season approaching, allow me to post a random shmup recommendation.

Dezatopia is a game by the developer HEY (who previously did Mecha Ritz: Steel Rondo) that was released back in 2020, but sadly not many people seem to be aware of it. It's too bad, because it's as far from a classic shmup as you can possibly get. It's actually a very "quirky", peculiar game, with a lot of weapon/loadout customization, branching paths (the game has 24 different stages with 21 bosses arranged in 21 routes; I'm sure there's still stuff I'm yet to see, since the game can go through various, and very different paths), and some weirdly appealing sound and visual choices. It feels like someone decided to do a shmup while on acid. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

If you enjoy the genre, but are looking for something a bit different, do consider giving this one a try.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I was meaning to share some thoughts about the possible effects of the new default regional pricing matrix that Valve introduced a few weeks ago but I didn't because I figured nobody would really care.
i care :blobhug:

and thanks for the post!

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Pre-orders received a pre-order bonus that is listed on the DLC tab as "Sackboy Pre-Purchase Entitlements". This:

I pre-ordered it, and have it in my DLC tab.
Do note that, if you check your licenses, my key activated as "Sackboy™: A Big Adventure" (unlike most games, the license doesn't have "pre-order" in the name), so you won't be able to tell if your key is for a pre-order copy or not through there.
You have to check the DLC tab, and check for that "Sackboy Pre-Purchase Entitlements" entry.

As for being early unlocks, I believe (but I'm not 100% sure) that these aren't early unlocks (unlike the Spider-Man games), I think they were costumes that were part of a Digital Deluxe Edition that's available on PS4/PS5, but since I'm yet to play it (still finishing Spider-Man :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:), I can't fully confirm there's no other way to obtain them, or that they won't be released for free in the future (there's already 5 other costume DLCs available for free on Steam).
I contact them and told them that the DLC was not showing up despite saying that it was a pre-order on my purchase receipt email.

Hopefully they are able to provide it otherwise I'm likely going to take it up to PayPal and mention how I didn't get the DLC despite it mentioning so.

Deleted member 113

I contact them and told them that the DLC was not showing up despite saying that it was a pre-order on my purchase receipt email.

Hopefully they are able to provide it otherwise I'm likely going to take it up to PayPal and mention how I didn't get the DLC despite it mentioning so.
From my experiences with Voidu, they are usually good at solving this.
I remember in particular one Bandai Namco game that was missing the pre-order bonuses, and they ended up sending me a brand new key.

Reactions: PC-tan

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
ok the one year anniversary has now passed, where are the SMT 5 ports? -_-

Don't fail me now Nvidia leak!

YHVH, I need this so much.

Had a great time revisiting Vanquish these past few days. Fantastic game.

I've also been revisiting NFS Hot Pursuit, another favorite of mine from the PS3 era.

Decided to take the plunge on Utawarerumono. Made it to the first battle and I think I'm going to enjoy this. But I'm so over the trope of the dense protagonist who is oblivious to the hints he gets from women. God, this shit is so overused.

Last edited:
Reactions: AHA-Lambda

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Really enjoying Spider-Man , runs great on the deck. I have pretty much dropped everything else.
I love that game. Haven't played Miles Morales yet, really tempted to jump on that Voidu deal. I got a raise but with living expenses always going up I honestly can't tell the difference.

• Hug
Reactions: QFNS and Le Pertti
OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
God of War is the most interesting result. Ragnarok is driving PC sales even though it's not currently discounted. The CCUs have also had a noticeable bump in the past week.
THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO DRIVE PEOPLE TO PS5 NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND!!!

/s

Now seriously, yes, CCUs got boosted up quite a lot since Ragnarok release, it's quite interesting to see how people went "oh, this might be a good time to jump into Kratos' nordic adventure on PC"

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
Glad FM isn't doing amazingly well like it usually does

They've gotten fucking lazy
I thought that when they changed the UI colour to purple and sold it as a big feature was the worst of it, but this year it's just as bad.

Rearranging analytics into its own submenu and pretending it's something super new is a new low, even for them. The stadium support and new match-engine additions are different at least, but can hardly say they are an improvement. Plus as long as Microsoft pays to have it on gamepass all year and amazon/egs keeps giving it away at the end of the cycle there are fewer and fewer reasons to upgrade.

There are a lot of things that need urgent attention like contracts, set pieces, manager career development and tactics to just accept rearranging UI over and over as updates anymore.

Still love the game mind

Reactions: thekeats1999

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
Yeah they were linking my post from a few months ago. If the link still doesn't work, it's from the August Steam thread and the post is #1372 on page 28.

The purpose of the post is to debunk the misinformation going around that Steam region swapping is hard to do and so there are likely not many people doing it. I detailed just how easy it is to achieve a region change. Also there seems to be this notion, even on this forum, that developers are simply lying when they mention that they are seeing a hugely disproportionate number of sales from Argentina and Turkey. Developers don't share their stats publicly but they have telemetry telling them exactly where their games are being bought and played from. They can see that sales from Argentina are outpacing sales from other traditionally bigger/affluent markets like European countries. Then they also see that the number of people playing the game from those bigger markets are (non trivially) more than the number of sales they got from there. There's no possible explanation for this phenomena to keep happening over and over again unless you accept that region swapping is a huge problem. There has been a thread in the Steam dev forum since around 2019 where devs have been talking about this issue. Back then when it started the concern was limited to the inflation in those countries causing the currencies to get weaker but eventually it switched over to talking about region swapping abuse. This is a big problem that has been going on for years and it's a shame Valve couldn't do something about it until it was too late.

I was meaning to share some thoughts about the possible effects of the new default regional pricing matrix that Valve introduced a few weeks ago but I didn't because I figured nobody would really care. For most countries the default prices went up by 10%-30% which is roughly the cost of living increase we're seeing in all walks of life these days. That's why the changes were not a big problem for most people. There are only about half a dozen countries where the default prices went up by 50% or more. Prices in Argentina and Turkey went up by 400%-600% which is absolutely ruinous. Both countries have seen sharp currency devaluations so people from there would have expected steep increases but this ~5x increase in prices is absolutely ridiculous. Valve has, inadvertently or otherwise, punished the people who actually live in those two countries for the large scale region swapping that was occurring. What will happen now is that sales from those countries will decrease. But, it won't be because people stopped region swapping. Because even the new prices are still lower than they are in the US and EU for example. So the people who region swap will still get the games cheaper than their home region, but people who actually live in Argentina and Turkey will no longer be able to afford the new prices, so the decrease in sales will be from actual residents of those countries. And region swapping will continue unabated. It's a disastrous solution to the problem.

My country (India) has gotten the third highest default price increase of about 80%-100%. Basically prices have more or less doubled. I can assure you that the buying power of people here has not doubled in the 6 or so years since the last time regional prices were set. I'm supremely fortunate enough to be able to buy pretty much any game I want whether it has regional pricing or not but even I'm extremely hesitant about what I'll get to buy going forward. It used to be that I would see an interesting looking indie game and think "Why not, it's just 569 bucks". Now that same game will cost 1100 bucks with the new pricing and that's a big enough difference to make me think several times and likely just skip it. And someone might think "Well, it used to cost you $7 and now it costs you $14 but that's still less than the $25 I'm being asked to pay so why complain about it?". Imagine if this kind of increase happened in your currency. Suppose you enjoy buying indie games for $25 and they suddenly start costing $50 each. Would you modify your buying habits if 60€ games started costing 110€? Now think how much worse that kind of increase will affect poor countries.

Anecdotally speaking, I saw a huge increase in game purchases from India back in 2015 when regional pricing and regional payment support was added to Steam. And it has been ongoing growth since then. Even today there are kids who have been pirating games for 10 years who get their first job out of college and start to buy them. Indian gaming spaces online have people asking the most basic questions like whether they can only download games from Steam one time after purchase or not. You still see people posting in amazement (and disbelief) when they buy the entire Arkham games bundle for like 300 bucks or whatever. Or the Metro bundle. Or the Bioshock bundle. I don't know what's going to happen with that going forward.

Most publishers had already abandoned regional pricing well before Valve made these changes so the effect on bigger games won't really be noticeable. I can only laugh at the folks who think that big publishers will now lower their already inflated prices because Valve's own default pricing has increased. That's not how companies have ever worked. This is mostly going to affect indie game pricing and it's a shame because those are often some of the best games of any year. Just as one last personal example, Shadows Over Loathing just came out and it is priced a good 25% lower than Valve's recommended price and even that feels too high to me. A lot of developers are holding off on increasing prices of their existing games because of the holiday sale season. Some developers are still mysteriously releasing their games with the old regional pricing defaults. It's going to get a whole lot worse from next year when everyone shifts over to the new prices.
Yea regional pricing here where I live may as well not existed even before the change. Rimworld dude didn't even wait till the date they said they would change at and the price for the older DLC is pretty close to base game price. Biotech which already had the price change is a dollar short of the base game price. I only have one of the older DLC and seeing these prices I probably won't ever buy the other DLCs (I mean the odler DLCs don't look like an xpack like Biotech is so the older DLC pricing here is a bit weird when it feels like a mod or two).

The only way I can see them limiting again is making your steam wallet non-convertible when you switch or something. Prob stop selling on third party sites as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.