Community MetaSteam | November 2023 - I'd Buy That For A Dollar...during a Steam Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Sonic Superstars update:
We've heard your feedback and are pleased to announce the release of update ver. 1.0.0.8
This update removes the need to login with an Epic Games account to access Online Battle Mode.

I'm guessing it still uses EOS, but it's in the mode that doesn't require login/account.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I will say this about GTA VI for when it does finally come out it will be something else.

I think GTA is one of those series that not even CoD, Nintendo or Sony games can really reach the high of.

You likely have heard about Dragon Quest in Japan and how when ever a new mainline comes out that people go wild for it (that one mission in Yakuza 0) and people line up for it. There was also that whole urban legend thing about how they only release the game on Saturdays because of school and kids missing school to play the game.

There have been games like that in other parts of the world and you do have something similar to various degrees.

Things have greatly changed since then, since you now have digital copies of games.

But when GTA VI does release you know for a fact that there will be long lines in a lot of different parts of the world just to pick up that game.

Although we will be seeing more of this

Playing since I was a kid.....

I can't find the video, but I do remember one about Target and there being a long line and even regular people wondering about the line. I wanted to find this video since I feel like it does the best job of really showing of the GTA V hype at the time.

You had parents waiting in line along with their 10 years olds to pick up a copy. Stuff like that is just insane, but that was how it was.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I'm trying but I can't get excited at all for GTAVI :shrugblob:

If it was RDR3 or a new IP I would have been thrilled but GTA is just too boring imo.

I'm sure South Florida will look amazing with their tech n all but in the end it will just be another boring GTA game. A lot of fetch quests of driving from point A to point B and then drive to point C to end mission. A lot of bad and cringe writing. All the modern political humor will most likely be lame too as video games have fallen far behind actual real life with all this shit. If they can do some nice Miami Vice style questlines it would be cool but I don't have faith in them pulling off anything like that.

The online will undoubtedly be the focus of everything post launch and they will nickel n dime everyone to death.

No PC version at launch will mean playing on consoles with dog shit framerate/performance and input lag on top of it all. RDR2 was rough to play at anything under 40fps.

And without PC version at launch it means people won't even be able to put their high end PCs to really squeeze everything out of the game. By the time they release it on PC it will be dated just like GTAV when it came out 2 years late and looked meh compared to Witcher 3 which released around same time.

So yea TLDR I don't really care much. Its disappointing that old rumor of them making a medieval era open world game didn't pan out. That would have been so much more interesting.

ramoisdead

MetaMember
Nov 5, 2018

Latest Sonic Superstars update on Steam eliminates the need to login with an Epic Games account to access the Online Battle mode.

SEGA has been fucking up so much in so little time as of late so it's nice to be surprised by them when they do something...smart.

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Sonic Superstars update:

I'm guessing it still uses EOS, but it's in the mode that doesn't require login/account.

Latest Sonic Superstars update on Steam eliminates the need to login with an Epic Games account to access the Online Battle mode.

SEGA has been fucking up so much in so little time as of late so it's nice to be surprised by them when they do something...smart.
EOS is basically poison now. Companies wouldn't do things like this if it was simply an issue of a "vocal minority". Forcing an EOS login has an actual negative impact on sales and word of mouth
The same exact thing can be said about Denuvo. The recent trend of hiding denuvo until the very last day is clear proof it has a negative impact on preorders

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
I bought Risk of Rain Returns with wallet money I got from selling cards and gave it try, and this game still got it damn. The new graphics are beautiful, the OST still goes hard but the most important thing, the gameplay loop is good as it kept me hooked with the "just one more run" feeling.

The game seems to be doing well sales wise:

The only thing that makes me sad is the IP now being owned by Gearbox.

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
I bought Risk of Rain Returns with wallet money I got from selling cards and gave it try, and this game still got it damn. The new graphics are beautiful, the OST still goes hard but the most important thing, the gameplay loop is good as it kept me hooked with the "just one more run" feeling.

The game seems to be doing well sales wise:

The only thing that makes me sad is the IP now being owned by Gearbox.
I mean I get that with being sad that gearbox is most likely going to ruin the IP now but Hopoo games is working on an unannounced project and has been working on it since 2022~ give or take. They hired more people as well etc

Also to keep in mind Hopoo is/was originally just 3 people and had been working on risk of rain continuously for an entire decade

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
I mean I get that with being sad that gearbox is most likely going to ruin the IP now but Hopoo games is working on an unannounced project and has been working on it since 2022~ give or take. They hired more people as well etc

Also to keep in mind Hopoo is/was originally just 3 people and had been working on risk of rain continuously for an entire decade
I'm excited to see what Hopoo is cooking so far I liked everything they released.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Finally made it to Survivor Gold 1 in Dead By Daylight, motherfuckers be stupid for real.

Reactions: lashman

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
I'm trying but I can't get excited at all for GTAVI :shrugblob:

If it was RDR3 or a new IP I would have been thrilled but GTA is just too boring imo.

I'm sure South Florida will look amazing with their tech n all but in the end it will just be another boring GTA game. A lot of fetch quests of driving from point A to point B and then drive to point C to end mission. A lot of bad and cringe writing. All the modern political humor will most likely be lame too as video games have fallen far behind actual real life with all this shit. If they can do some nice Miami Vice style questlines it would be cool but I don't have faith in them pulling off anything like that.

The online will undoubtedly be the focus of everything post launch and they will nickel n dime everyone to death.

No PC version at launch will mean playing on consoles with dog shit framerate/performance and input lag on top of it all. RDR2 was rough to play at anything under 40fps.

And without PC version at launch it means people won't even be able to put their high end PCs to really squeeze everything out of the game. By the time they release it on PC it will be dated just like GTAV when it came out 2 years late and looked meh compared to Witcher 3 which released around same time.

So yea TLDR I don't really care much. Its disappointing that old rumor of them making a medieval era open world game didn't pan out. That would have been so much more interesting.
Eh, GTA is one of those mainstream franchises that I really really like. The gameplay is not always the best, but I usually really enjoy the story and the characters... Regardless of how crude it can be.

I'm still pissed at Rockstar for not continuing GTA 5's story...

But if you're not excited, then why do you intend to play it on consoles right away? Just wait.

And I seriously doubt that anything coming out in the 2 years following it's release is going to look more or equally as impressive (on a macro scale)... Just look at how well rdr2 holds up. I feel it's easier to improve on rendering tech than anything else... So yeah, on a surface level (literally and figuratively) some games might look better but... I mean, rdr2's ball-shrinkage tech doesn't need an RTX 4090... Heck, even some of the interactivity in MGS 2 is still impressive to me. So, I'm willing to bet that 2 years down the line, many things are going to look as impressive as on day one.

Side note: as good as it looks, I didn't really enjoy RDR 2, and I really wish they'd release a sequel to Bully. It aged horribly on a gameplay level (I replayed it a month ago), but with all the issues with schooling (especially in the US) I think there's enough material for a new game.

Reactions: Cacher

YunoLumi

Indie games
Nov 25, 2022
Norway

Gelf

Apr 22, 2019
I suspect I'll play GTAVI in something like 2028. I enjoy them but not in a prepared to pay close to full price way, add the usual Rockstar bullshit about late PC ports and I think it'll be a while.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
I have been adjusting my purchase behavior lately. If I buy a game, I need to play it immediately. The same applies to everything else: plastic models, books, movies... No more hoarding, no more collecting, no more new things left in the stash.

Just bought Robocop on the xbox. Excited to start playing it after installation.
This has been my tactic for much of this year

Just been playing my backlog for the most part
Does mean my wishlists have grown instead though :relieved-face:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Played Gaiden a bit. Unlocked Yakuza combat style and a bit further too so, still very beginning. The very first little arcade you visit in the early linear sections has both Daytona USA 2 and Fighting Vipers 2 right there (and some other stuff). Kind of disappointing I didn't have to search it out more, lol. I don't think I'll keep playing this game, I have more than half of Kiryu's saga left to play through still so it has to wait where Like a Dragon/Infinite Wealth/Lost/Judgment don't.

It's the frst time I get to play Daytona USA 2 as I never bothered emulating it myself. I'm not sure emulation is 100% accurate, some of the smoke/tire/fire effects seem a little bit off (but maybe they always were, it all goes by so fast, plus it probably works better on an arcade CRT screen). Otherwise it (Fighting Vipers 2 too) seems to run at the original resolution with no real enhancements (even with the bad texture filtering, or mip maps, or both), just some light scanlines and letterboxing so that it's not too blown up on a high resolution screen.

It plays great but seeing it in person for the first time, more or less its original look rather than enhanced with emulators, I see a lot of it is smoke and mirrors. Many 2D, very low res elements, things that are now more obviously low poly or with only the side facing the camera modeled as they used to do to maximise the visuals on things the players see while playing. Tons of COOL stuff too of course, it was pioneering and jaw dropping in 1998 and still looks great. Still, Dreamcast's Daytona USA 2001 isn't as far behind as I thought visually or technically, it's mostly different like a reimagining of the original. Basically Daytona USA 2 tracks are way more fantasy based and so more wondrous after the beginner course, yet the cars and damage effects are edgier, grittier (that's Nagoshi's influence I guess), while Daytona USA 2001, like the original, looks more cartoony yet has far more grounded courses (and that reflection/shine effect was a bit of a miss but it's fine). Previously I conceded Daytona USA 2 is the one Model 3 game showing enough of a power gap to not be easy to approximate on the Dreamcast to the level of Virtua Fighter 3tb, Fighting Vipers 2 (which to me are great ports with unfairly bad rep because of a few concessions, they're nothing like SEGA Rally at least) or the even better ports of SEGA Bass Fishing, Virtua Striker 2 and Virtual On 2 but now I'm not so sure. It seems doable, maybe they simply chose to reboot the original just because it's more famous and popular thinking they could capture that but the era's reviewers thought otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
I really wish that sega would release all the little arcade games from the Yakuza games separately. These are the only reason I would generally invest any time in the games (not a slight on Yakuza, just don’t have the time to sink into them any more).

plus I have fond memories of the Fighting Viper games. Used to love all the sega games on my Saturn and Dreamcast, still my favourite consoles.

Gelf

Apr 22, 2019
I really wish that sega would release all the little arcade games from the Yakuza games separately. These are the only reason I would generally invest any time in the games (not a slight on Yakuza, just don’t have the time to sink into them any more).

plus I have fond memories of the Fighting Viper games. Used to love all the sega games on my Saturn and Dreamcast, still my favourite consoles.
I'm happy to invest time into Yakuza but I'd still much prefer if those arcade ports got put together in a more convenient package. Having to keep track of which games are in which Yakuza plus having to install a vasty larger game just because you fancy a quick blast of Daytona is hardly ideal.

I'm gonna take a wild guess that the combined size of literally every Sega arcade rom up until they merged with Sammy would be much less than one Like a Dragon install now.

Reactions: thekeats1999

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
i know :p but that doesn't change the fact that macos sucks ;) i never said windows doesn't :smart-thinking-blob:
macOS has its flaws, but it’s god-tier compared to Windows.

As a daily user of both, Windows is this horrible shapeshifting monstrosity that is continually changing in ever more user hostile ways.

macOS is pleasantly consistent and good to use.

YunoLumi

Indie games
Nov 25, 2022
Norway

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I’m nearly there with Linux. Now that I’m no longer doing instructional design, I don’t need image or video editing software - of which the options on Linux are quite inadequate.

Gaming is very good on Linux now, but I’m hoping Nvidia drivers make improvements because I’m not switching to AMD or Intel any time soon.

So for me the main thing is finding a good writing application for Linux that I like. I have been using Scrivever for my novels for the longest time, but I’ve found I want something a lot more simple that also uses Markdown. iA Writer for macOS does the job right now - there isn’t anything that quite does what that app does in Linux, but if there was I could very easily rock a Linux desktop and whatever laptop caught my fancy (currently a Mac - but daily driving Linux would open a lot of doors for me in this respect).

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
but daily driving Linux would open a lot of doors for me in this respect).
Ive been so long away from linux related(expect steam deck) so Im curious what doors would open? What would you be able to do that you can't do currently?

If I ever build a PC again I would love to go pure Linux on it.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I don’t need image or video editing software - of which the options on Linux are quite inadequate.
for images - yeah, kinda (i REALLY wish Affinity would move their ass and port that shit to linux)

but for video, nah fam - not when there's DaVinci Resolve

Reactions: QFNS
Status
Not open for further replies.