Community MetaSteam | November 2023 - I'd Buy That For A Dollar...during a Steam Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lashley

Computer Cowboy 🤠

Some nice QoL for PS controllers in this beta update.
They're the best

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Kona 2 has been released ? Wizard with a Gun has been released ?
Jesus, there are so many releases that some slips through the cracks for me. Not that I was that interested, but eh...

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
this is out:
I started the first one since I've had it for a while.
It's... just okay, but it seems like the 2nd goes for a Ratchet approach to combat, which should be good because combat is just really bad in Smurfs Mission Vileaf.
It's not a great game.

Especially sad since Microids also publishes the Marsupilami Hoobadventure game, and that game is miles better and genuinely good, unlike the Smurf and Asterix ones.

I need to add some reviews in the dedicated thread :thinking-face:

Reactions: Censored

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
PC game pass takes yet another L.
Yeah, pretty sure the Xbox app doesn't have any way of handling beta branches for games, despite there being several first-party games that have used beta branches over the years that all had to use Steam for that. Sorting games by Metacritic scores is obviously more important.

I think it’s really cool that Steam gamepad support has moved from just a generic “Controller Supported” to letting users see what works well with their specific pad. Since I have a DualSense that I use every now and then, this’ll be good to see when I’ll make the most of it.

It’d be cool if Valve had more tightly integrated support for more gamepads too, like 8BitDo. At the moment they just show as Xbox or Switch pads, depending on configuration.
I'd love that too, but there's not much to be done about it. Valve would somehow need to make custom firmware for those controllers that makes them act like non-standard gamepads.

Reactions: C-Dub

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
Sigil 2 pre-orders are up.

I preordered the basic big box version.

SIGIL II USB — Romero

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019

Here we go!!!
I was excited for this as well. Anyone else getting frequent 1-3 second episodes where graphics freeze? Seems to be getting worse the further I get into the tutorial/introduction as well. Lowering the farthest viewing distance to far and lowering DLAA to DLSS Quality did not help. This is with a 4090 and 12900k system

Reactions: Panda Pedinte

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Story felt pretentious to me.
I actually don't think Remedy ever takes itself too seriously in its story telling. They are aware how silly games as a medium can be, and how silly their stories in particular are. There's always plenty of levity, of joking around to lighten the mood. It never goes to MCU levels of having to point out to the audience that things are silly, but calling it "pretentious" seems very strange to me.
It cares a lot about its characters and the setting of the FBC, sure, but you don't have to dig deep into that stuff if you don't want to, so I would be interested in what exactly you mean there. I understand I'm completely biased here, Control couldn't be more up my alley with its presentation and art style, but I would like to understand how others see it too.

Reactions: thekeats1999

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I was excited for this as well. Anyone else getting frequent 1-3 second episodes where graphics freeze? Seems to be getting worse the further I get into the tutorial/introduction as well. Lowering the farthest viewing distance to far and lowering DLAA to DLSS Quality did not help. This is with a 4090 and 12900k system
Reading this is a bit sad.
Especially since Croteam had their own engine for a long time, and was very reliable and performed extremely well.

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Sigil 2 pre-orders are up.

I preordered the basic big box version.

SIGIL II USB — Romero
Here's to 30 more years

• Love
Reactions: Stevey

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
Ok today and the past few days is nuts for releases. I'm probably gonna grab Nunu, Thirsty Suitors, and This Bed We Made. I already owned Lunacid. I'll probably grab Robocop at some point post-Cyberpunk 2077.

Reactions: Stevey

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
I actually don't think Remedy ever takes itself too seriously in its story telling. They are aware how silly games as a medium can be, and how silly their stories in particular are. There's always plenty of levity, of joking around to lighten the mood. It never goes to MCU levels of having to point out to the audience that things are silly, but calling it "pretentious" seems very strange to me.
It cares a lot about its characters and the setting of the FBC, sure, but you don't have to dig deep into that stuff if you don't want to, so I would be interested in what exactly you mean there. I understand I'm completely biased here, Control couldn't be more up my alley with its presentation and art style, but I would like to understand how others see it too.
HOW DO YOU SWIM IN A LAKE THATS NOT A LAKE IN AN OCEAN THATS NOT AN OCEAN ALAN

I wonder why you felt that when this is right in the ending:

I 💗 Trotsky

• Toucan
Reactions: Li Kao and Mivey

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
It's just the way it's presented, like you're supposed to care about all these concepts and misteries they throw at you without (imo) doing enough to get you invested first. And this game absolutely takes itself seriously.
It didn't affect my enjoyment though, the game is great. The destructible environments and physics combined with the art direction made the whole thing really compelling. It still looks quite good and thanks to the art direction it barely shows its age.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
And this game absolutely takes itself seriously.
I still remember how the very first scenes with Ahti had me laughing, couldn't be more a waking Finnish stereotype, so no Control being a serious game was never my take on it. And as for the setting, it was just so weird that it got me hooked right away. But I can see how those things are pretty subjective

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I still remember how the very first scenes with Ahti had me laughing, couldn't be more a waking Finnish stereotype, so no Control being a serious game was never my take on it. And as for the setting, it was just so weird that it got me hooked right away. But I can see how those things are pretty subjective

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Played the intro missions of SpiderMan 2, it's fine but it's largely the same game as the last two. If you liked those, you'll like this one.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Star Ocean environments are REALLY nice, I dunno why they went with sprites for the characters and everything, I think it'd look better with some modest 3D models a la modern Trails or Ys games or even Square's own Trials of Mana. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy sprites and even love games that use a blend of 3D environments and sprites like earlier Ys and Trails games and of course the 32bit games they look like, Grandia, Xenogears and such, but I believe the high quality environments here don't match as well as those games that have unfiltered pixel-art esque textures. It's fine still, I'm just saying...

Last edited:

jads653

MetaMember
Oct 18, 2021
Utrecht, Netherlands
Robocop is fun as hell

Yeah, it's a AAA sequel
The oneliners are so corny I love it. Just like Terminator the game breaths atmosphere. The music is so good. I would love to see what this studio could do with Judge Dredd, Alien or Total Recall. Too bad the performance of the game is so shitty.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Star Ocean environments are REALLY nice, I dunno why they went with sprites for the characters and everything, I think it'd look better with some modest 3D models a la modern Trails or Ys games or even Square's own Trials of Mana. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy sprites and even love games that use a blend of 3D environments and sprites like earlier Ys and Trails games and of course the 32bit games they look like, Grandia, Xenogears and such, but I believe the high quality environments here don't match as well as those games that have unfiltered pixel-art esque textures. It's fine still, I'm just saying...
They kept the original character sprites. Which looks pretty strange when blowing up technically flat 3D models with modern lighting... especially when it zooms in during cut scenes.
Odd decision.

• Shrug
Reactions: Alextended

Lashley

Computer Cowboy 🤠
The oneliners are so corny I love it. Just like Terminator the game breaths atmosphere. The music is so good. I would love to see what this studio could do with Judge Dredd, Alien or Total Recall. Too bad the performance of the game is so shitty.
I'd love them to do a Dredd game

It's been fine for me but I have a 4090 and a 5800x3D so that isn't much help, sorry

• Gib
  • This!
Reactions: Shantom and jads653

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
Reading this is a bit sad.
Especially since Croteam had their own engine for a long time, and was very reliable and performed extremely well.
After fuming about the technical issues for a couple of hours, I read a suggestion on the Steam forums that resolved the issue. Apparently, the frame generation setting is bugged, so disabling it gets rid of the freezing issue.

Reactions: Durante
Status
Not open for further replies.