Community MetaSteam | November 2023 - I'd Buy That For A Dollar...during a Steam Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kal1m3r0

MetaMember
Jan 9, 2021
To clarify, I'm perfectly fine with taking good chunks from other media, especially since they seems to have gotten TP right (contrary to what others did like Deadly Premonition), that only comes with the risk of becoming predictable to those who know their sources.
That being said, I'm one of those gameplay-first nerds and I'll always prefer an RE4 (even with its silly script) over this

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
A video game studio doing something DERIVATIVE?! damn, what a brazen idea, to take inspiration of other great pieces of art and even openly referencing them in your games, basically screaming to the audience: "yeah, we like these other works, not hiding where our inspirations lie".

No, sir, I for one only play games that are true avant-garde, completely original without any semblance of ideas that were ever uttered by anyone else in the last two thousand years.
Yeah, no. If you reference others' work, you better offer something worthy on your part, or you are only that, a reference. Hey kids, did you watch At the Mouth of Madness ? Or read some SCP ? Aren't those cool ?

Reactions: QFNS

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Fantastic game. I still haven't gone through the main campaign (which was added after the early access). Need to get back to it soon. :blobevening:
It's definitely been on my radar for a while now! It looks cozy.

• Comfy
Reactions: Cacher

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Yeah, no. If you reference others' work, you better offer something worthy on your part, or you are only that, a reference. Hey kids, did you watch At the Mouth of Madness ? Or read some SCP ? Aren't those cool ?
I mean, I find Remedies recent work, Control and Alan Wake 2 to be absolutely amazing so they deffo offering a ton of worthy stuff on that front for me. I just find the criticism of stuff being derivative kinda silly in a medium where in the AAA sector you basically don't have anything original anymore. It's all copies of the same ideas, regurgitated over and over again. Playing Alan Wake 2 to me feels like absolutely nothing else I have seen and played in years, not in this amazing combination

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
One of the UI/UX YouTubers I followed has made a Steam redesign video.

I don't agree with everything they've done (not a big fan of the their idea for the library) but I think a lot of their ideas are actually very neat.

Sadly they don't allow embeds, so link!

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Quantum Break had a whole TV show attached that you were supposed to watch alongside the game.
Alan Wake 2 is halfway an FMV Game
Their repeated cooperation with Poets of the Fall for incredible setpieces
etc.

Like, yea theyre wearing their story inspirations on their sleeves, but there's no one making videogames that are quite like theirs

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
So... Talos 2... I managed to "break" a puzzle.

So... I wasted 10 minutes trying to stack my dudes in order to reach the button...
Then I realized that you could jump on top of those protruding beams and I basically followed the path I highlighted in green...

And then, as I was jumping down... I saw that friggin platform just hanging off the ledge... which would have made things considerably easier.

• Toucan
Reactions: Panda Pedinte

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Kind of shocked how well Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake holds up. The controls on Deck are very snappy and precise. The stealth is still damn near great. Its genuinely a fun experience. Almost feels like you are playing a modern day indie stealth game.

I know Metal Gear is the better and more iconic game but its so much more dated + difficult to play compared to MG2. I think at this point its safe to say that every game from the 80s is outdated. Its gonna be a sad time when I say the same for 90s games but not there yet thankfully.

But yea playing these old classics again is such a blast. In a way it kinda makes me sad Kojima doesn't work on smaller scale budget type games today. Since he left Konami he spent so much time on Death Stranding and now even more time on Death Stranding 2 + that cloud horror game. I mean I get it people love the AAA big world games but it would be cool if he made a smaller 20-30$ title and put them out more frequently. Maybe breathe some new life into the stealth genre this way with how clever/creative KojiPro can be.

Also Snakes Revenge is still a terrible game and not fun to play on Deck from the 30 minutes I gave it. Still tho good on Konami for including it as bonus content lol.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
They're pretty similar to me (and similar to Game Boy Color's MGS: Ghost Babel too). I mostly don't like enemies disappear and what not, there's not much (fun) interactivity, I think modern indie 2D games in that vein would handle things better and basically play more like MGS, just 2D. Like Merry Gear Solid 2 tried.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
So I guess that one of the benefits of releasing AVNs on Steam is how well they can sell. I think there was even one that end up selling half a million copies on Steam, crazy stuff. Meanwhile Doujins and all of that other stuff, JP VNs don't really sell all that well. Which I believe is part of the reason for why they were also expensive in Japan in the first place (similar to anime physical sales) they don't sell that well and they have to charge a lot to those few that do buy it. But that has since changed and there was even a period of time when some were worried about price, especially because of digital. Since they could now sell the games digitally they could lower the price, but if they lowered the price that could affect how much money they would make since not that many people buy those types of games. But now that they are able to sell overseas (even though they have to censor the game) they are making more money than before.

So I played a AVN, there was no voice acting in the game. No voice acting is not that unusual (by the way I am curious about licensed music though since there are some games that do feature it) any way so season 1 of this game did not have voice acting but for some reasons season 2 does have voice acting, I'm not sure if they have gone back and added voice acting for season 1 as well since then. But I'm guessing that these types of games are making a pretty penny, not only from their initial Patreon days to them releasing on Steam about 2-3 years later.

It's a lucrative business. As of now the two most lucrative times of games that can sell pretty well on Steam with a small budget, are horror games and Adult games. Make a good Adult Horror game and then just watch the money roll in.

That is my current arm chair analysis of the game market on Steam.

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
oh god an erathing link, my antivirus just exploded but not sure if was cause Bloober Team thread or that site itself.

• Sad
Reactions: thekeats1999

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I played 9 hours of Lords of the Fallen today and it actually seems... good?
There's nothing major wrong with it, the level design/exploration is more interesting than I expected in places, and the Soul Reaver world transition idea is actually really well integrated in multiple aspects of the gameplay (both combat and exploration).

(As always with Soulslike, all my opinions are from a coop perspective)

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
I've realized that Nvidia Reflex seems to be broken in The Talos Principle 2, even if it's not enabled. Using SpecialK to force-disable it makes the weird persistent stutter that the game has go away. Good thing I found this out early...

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
is anyone having issues with Steam Cloud, i played a couple of games and both have given me sync errors

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Oh ffs. There is nothing complicated about Pyramid Head. He is just a manifestation of guilt.. That’s it.

been playing the fall guys event in FFXIV, surprisingly fun, even if their netcode isn’t quite robust enoughfor this type of gameplay. If it was still on steam I might have given the main game a go.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Oh ffs. There is nothing complicated about Pyramid Head. He is just a manifestation of guilt.. That’s it.
No! He must have trauma! There's got to be a backstory!

In all seriousness, if Bloober Team even so much as agreed to do this, it shows they completely missed a fundamental part of SH2 and have no place remaking the game.

been playing the fall guys event in FFXIV, surprisingly fun, even if their netcode isn’t quite robust enoughfor this type of gameplay. If it was still on steam I might have given the main game a go.
You're not missing much. Epic have turned Fall Guys to complete shit and gutted the team.

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I wonder what the review scores were like if it was made by Fromsoft and called Dark Souls 4.
For some reason people are overcautios to praise non-fromsoft soulslikes.

Reactions: QFNS and Durante

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I’m currently a content designer (thankfully I don’t write trash like this) and reading all these clickbait articles with hardly any useful information just hurts my soul.

I wish I had time in my life to do something about it because while no one person can fix the whole Internet, a good start would be people making quality succinct user-focussed content to combat this utter drivel.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
There's nothing major wrong with it, the level design/exploration is more interesting than I expected in places, and the Soul Reaver world transition idea is actually really well integrated in multiple aspects of the gameplay (both combat and exploration).

From the little I read from user reviews, it seems the biggest issues are easy and bland bosses, and trash ‘encounter design’.
Now what is meant by encounter design, I’m not certain, I imagine people lament a tendency to throw everything and the kitchen sink at players around every corner. And it obviously becomes a real chore toward the end of the game.
But it’s just my speculation and it may not apply in coop.

Now the bosses being too formulaic and easy, I like the sound of that. I’m playing Lies of P and I’m really not convinced I will be able to finish it.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

I played it about an hour and the combat felt off to me. I hate using the vague term "janky", but the best way I can quantify my complaint is that the animations felt a hair too rapid which gives it a loose feeling. Also I had just finished Lies of P recently so I may have been trying to play it like that title and couldn't really grasp it.

The also game ran like butt on Xbox so I returned it. That seems to be a recurring theme with UE5 games on console.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020

ZKenir

MetaMember
May 10, 2019
Finished Trails into Reverie.
This was such a magnificent ending to the Crossbell and Erebonia saga and one of my favourite games ever.

I'll miss all these characters but it was great seeing all the loose ends being tied and them all finally getting closure after all these games.
Truly a masterpiece by Nihon Falcom.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Taking my sweet time with Alan Wake 2, 9 hours in.

Also it seems like I'll skip CoD this year, as by all accounts the campaign is shit.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I can’t remember the last COD I bought.

I think it was back when it stopped being sombrely critical of war at times and shifted to outright celebration of it.

Reactions: Kyougar and lashman
Status
Not open for further replies.