France

:stupefy: :heart:

Also, that is the first time I hear about this one:

Last edited:
Reactions: Tomasety

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I tried the Pumpkin Jack demo in the Steam Autumn Festival and really enjoyed it. It definitely felt like a game from the PS2 generation, but with some QOL improvements.

Still not 100% sold on it at full price, but another RTX game is definitely tempting...

Reactions: Cacher

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Thinking about picking up Breathedge with the current price since it seems to release November 5th and price will probably go up. But then again, I still haven't played Subnautica yet

• Love
Reactions: Rockin' Ranger

eonden

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Lets take a look at some mood games this time in "Discoveries in Discovery Queue"!

CBT with Yuuka Kazami

A Touhou character explains what Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is and some of the common tricks to help you manage stress or anxiety.

After seeing an ad for some Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) lessons offered by none other then Yuuka Kazami, one of the most powerful Youkai in all of Gensokyo, you make your way towards the sunflower depot to meet her. She seems to mean well... for now.
Promesa

A deeply personal game where you explore memories and fantasies from conversations the dev director had with his grandparent.

Promesa is a personal project born from a conversation between a grandfather and his grandchild, where you wander through their dreams and memories.
While listening to someone trying to remember their experiences, past and present blend together, forming a stream of images that are both personal and shared.
From memories of homes and streets to surreal visions of imaginary places, Promesa is a contemplative experience about what happens when we’re left dreaming of the things we haven’t lived firsthand.

Wait, Life is Beautiful

Game about suicide created during a bad moment for the dev, where he tries to make us thing about it and how we should try and pay attention to our closest friends and family to spot it.

The process of playing Wait! Life is Beautiful! is similar to watching a film that stimulates a nerve, especially when the viewer finds themselves immersed in the protagonist's anxious state of mind. At the center of the plot is a young guy, an ordinary clerk, he is not at all a hero, and certainly not a magician.
Watching him, we are instilled with his emotions such as tiredness from the monotony of life and depressing thoughts about the meaninglessness of life. However, there is a desire to change his life for the better, to look for a new meaning - in empathy, compassion, while helping others.
As we try to engage in dialogue with potential suicide victims, we can study their problems and carefully choose the right words in an attempt to talk them down. This can be difficult because the main character tends to cover up his fear with black humor and an ironic attitude to what is happening. This is his defensive reaction. Against the background of stress from the stories he heard and his regrets about the departed, the main character begins to see dark psychedelic dreams that give rise to a feeling of approaching madness.

Pluviophile

A walking sim about being in the rain in a forest. Just chillax.

Pluviophile is a very short experience about the mood of rain in the woods. It is a slow paced pure walking simulator; you only walk, slowly, in the wilderness away from civilization. A beautiful poem from Julius Cawein accompanies your short journey; and the original music score that is composed by Pınar Karabaş.

PS: The core aspect of this game is the atmosphere. It is recommended for those who mostly seek to experience the mood.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Stadia is announcing a bunch of "First on Stadia" games over the next few days. They got a 64 person Pac Man game... I'm not sure how they're going to keep that populated. Also, a new Hello Neighbor game. shrug

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman and MJunioR

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
:stupefy: :heart:

Also, that is the first time I hear about this one:

Nice, looking forward to playing this one. I heard it's a short game; I'm up for playing shorter games these days.
DLSS + RTX is a nice bonus. (y) It's also nice to see that smaller studios/solo devs are able to implement turing features without too much trouble, as long as they have the technical prowess.

And then there's Doom Eternal - where's my effing RTX update Hugo :blobclosecry:

Last edited:

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Windows has been acting up these last weeks, I think I need to reinstall and I really dont want to

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
There are 2h30 left before the reset time of Spelunky 2's daily challenge, and I am currently n°31. :pro:

I contacted Humble Support about their 6-month coupon which I cannot use before the expiration date.

:emo:

Unrelated, there are price differences between Steam and Humble store, without any discount or Choice subscriber advantage:

That is because $1 = 1€ on Steam, but not on Humble for this specific game. Good to know.

Last edited:

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019

Welp. 6 years late to the party but Driftmoon is the real deal. And in the hellsacape that is 2020, it's also a breath of fresh air.

It's a top-down indie rpg-lite developed by a Finnish husband/wife duo. And while it's old as dirt it actually saw an EE refresh just this past April.

Beyond the fact that it can run at a billion fps on a toaster with modern hardware, what immediately struck me was how clean and straightforward the presentation and game design was. In an age of Ubisoft sandbox quest-marker bloat, Driftmoon comes across as mean & lean in execution.

While control & navigation feels intuitive, fast & fluid, the true star of the show is the clever & witty writing. Everything from light-hearted & often humorous NPC dialogue to the unique item descriptions that gives everything you pick up a personal history (even that borked rusty dagger you encounter first).

While I haven't finished it, I understand that the game is a mere 15 or so hrs. long. If you're looking for a pleasant weekend palate cleanser, Driftmoon might fit the bill.

Currently on sale for $3.19 on GMG.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Yeah some tempting historical lows, such as Doraemon and Drilldozer, but I know that I won't touch them anytime soon so it would be a bit wasteful to grab them now 😆
Yeah... These deals are pretty good. Tales of Zestiria is weirdly region-locked for JP region, so this may be the last chance for me to get it cheap before returning to Japan.

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
I like how the list got smaller instead of bigger for both rtx and dlss:
I also think it's funny how everyones so excited over this stuff but it's super apparent how it's still in the baby phase of its existance.
I saw some modded GTA thing with a RTX like pretend version and it basically made the game look like it was super shiny and plastic, granted it was just a modders take on attempting to do it but them going through the desert area in GTA 5 and showing off cars with a full on reflection going by or like an old 80s 90s style RV showing your car in it like uh.. not everything is a mirror
Anyways

Ray tracing games you can play right now:

• Amid Evil
  • Battlefield V
  • Bright Memory
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019)
  • Control
  • Crysis Remastered
  • Deliver Us The Moon
  • Fortnite
  • Justice
  • Mechwarrior V: Mercenaries
  • Metro Exodus
  • Minecraft
  • Moonlight Blade
  • Quake II RTX
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider
  • Stay in the Light
  • Wolfenstein: Youngblood
Ray tracing games on the way:

• Atomic Heart
  • Call Of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (launch)
  • Cyberpunk 2077 (launch)
  • Dying Light 2
  • Doom Eternal
  • Enlisted (November closed beta)
  • Ghostrunner (launch)
  • JX3
  • Mortal Shell (November)
  • Observer: System Redux
  • Pumpkin Jack (launch)
  • Ready Or Not (early access launch)
  • Ring Of Elysium (launch)
  • Synced: Off-Planet
  • The Witcher III
  • Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2
  • Watch Dogs: Legion (launch)
  • World Of Warcarft: Shadowlands (November)
  • Xuan-Yuan Sword VII (launch)

DLSS games you can play right now:

• Anthem
  • Battlefield V
  • Bright Memory
  • Control
  • Death Stranding
  • Deliver Us The Moon
  • F1 2020
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • Fortnite
  • Justice
  • Marvel’s Avengers
  • Mechwarrior V: Mercenaries
  • Metro Exodus
  • Minecraft
  • Monster Hunter: World
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider
  • Wolfenstein Youngblood
DLSS games on the way:

• Amid Evil
  • Atomic Heart
  • Boundary
  • Call Of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (launch)
  • Cyberpunk 2077 (launch)
  • Edge Of Eternity (November)
  • Ghostrunner (launch)
  • JX3
  • Mortal Shell (November)
  • Mount & Blade II Bannerlord (November)
  • Ready Or Not (early access launch)
  • Scavengers
  • Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2
  • Watch Dogs: Legion (launch)
  • Xuan-Yuan Sword VII (launch)

Source:

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Nobody can escape animu, not even DOOM. :evilblob:

[UWSL]A small Easter Egg referencing vtuber Korone. [/UWSL]
[UWSL] [/UWSL]
[UWSL]You have to press the chainsaw key four times while on the runes screen.[/UWSL]

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Played a bit of Rebirth. The intro is super annoying, way too many memories interruptions and shit, it's not even to set things up and get you in the mood or explain systems or whatever so much, just fluff drilling the same points about the characters and the amnesia in. The subtitle and menu presentation and giant controller buttons even though I'm using mkb make it look really cheap. The first game was definitely cheap itself but it was immersing and impressive coming from an indie. Opening cabinets isn't as intuitive either, you have to move the cursor weird, the first game felt physical in the same way but shit just worked the way you expected them to every time for cabinets doors drawers and everything. From what I've played so far, if you haven't played the first game, go and play that before anything else in the same vein, it still does it best (though it'd surely dilute the effect if you saw the games that followed first, it'd still work better).

Last edited:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
in the baby phase of its existance
like every new technology before it, it's slowly becoming used in more and more games. The next big step will be to have both Nvidia and AMD support it ( via the DX12 API) thus making it into a proper hardware independent feature. Given how RT can replace a lot of different effects that games use to fake photorealism, I think RT will become an industry norm , long-term.

As for what modders are doing with it: any game with physically based rendering should look a lot better with Ray Tracing, as each surface should have all the data it needs for how to reflect light. So that not everything is a mirror. Amid all the hype, I think it's also worth considering that more realistic lighting doesn't always have to look better in every scene, especially if a game is using physically impossible shadow or light effects for creative reasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tomasety and Cacher

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Played a bit of Rebirth. The intro is super annoying, way too many memories interruptions and shit, it's not even to set things up and get you in the mood or explain systems or whatever so much, just fluff drilling the same points about the characters and the amnesia in. The subtitle and menu presentation and giant controller buttons even though I'm using mkb make it look really cheap. The first game was definitely cheap itself but it was immersing and impressive coming from an indie. Opening cabinets isn't as intuitive either, you have to move the cursor weird, the first game felt physical in the same way but shit just worked the way you expected them to every time for cabinets doors drawers and everything. From what I've played so far, if you haven't played the first game, go and play that before anything else in the same vein, it still does it best (though it'd surely dilute the effect if you saw the games that followed first, it'd still work better).

Yes, the opening hour of Amnesia Rebirth is pretty boring / bordering on annoying, it's basically a walking sim at that point, but it thankfully gets better later.

So far (5 hours in) I havent been scared or anything (despite playing it at night) but I like the environments, the atmosphere, the puzzles... what I dont like so much is the way the story is delivered: I stopped reading the notes scattered around pretty quickly, and the audio that stops you isnt much better. C'mon video devs, there must be a better way to do this ;)

Also, I dont like that you can only hold up to 10 matchbooks, so I looked into the config files and found a way to change this:
go to the folder ..\steam\steamapps\common\Amnesia Rebirth\config and open "Inventory.cfg"

The file actually explains how everything works pretty well, but look for this:
Code:
        <ItemType ID="Matchbook">
            <Bulk MaxAmount="10" InitAmountRange="1,3"/>
            <Inventory Icon="inventory_item_matches" PickupIcon="inventory_item_match_single"/>
            <Hands UsesArmAnimation="false" LeftHand="true" LightSource="true"/>
            <Use OnWorld="false"/>
        </ItemType>
Bulk MaxAmount means how much you can carry, "-1" would be infinite (but you would not see how much you are carrying anymore).
InitAmountRange means how much you get by pickup. Standard is "1,3" meaning you get 1-3 matches per matchbook pickup. Change this to a higher number that suits your playstyle.

The Bulk MaxAmount can also be changed for the lantern (it can be made to hold more than 10 charges), oil, or laudanum. I dont think you can use the InitAmountRange trick for those, but when you have plenty matchsticks, you can light everything up pretty nicely anyway, doing away with the need for a lantern most of the time.

Anyway, since I dont get scared anyway and the darkness is really much more of a nuisance to me (same as the monsters btw), it was a no-brainer to make these changes and play the game more "my" way. :grinning-face:

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Yeah, RT is definitely becoming the industry norm, especially with how next-gen consoles are pushing it as well. But honestly, I'd prefer DLSS to kickoff faster than RT. Realtime lighting and reflections are nice, but the better overall visuals and performance that you can get from DLSS is way more important and preferable to me.

eonden

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Lets take a look at some puzzle games this time in "Discoveries in Discovery Queue"!

Kine

Oh hi, its on Steam now. 3D puzzle about manouvering around environment

Kine is a charming 3D puzzle game about three musical machines hoping to find their big break. Guide these dreamers through a delightful tale of love, labor, and loss as they struggle to form a band and find success on the main stage.
Manipulate and maneuver each character by taking advantage of their unique abilities.
Navigate a stunningly beautiful world filled with a wide variety of 3D puzzles while listening to an award-winning original soundtrack.

Cats Organized Neatly

Complete the puzzles by putting cats that fit together. Cats.

Welcome to Cats Organized Neatly!
So, you have decided to become a crazy cat person.
Or you just like cats?
If that’s the case you are definitely at the right place! Because we have cats! 32 of them to be exact. They come in all shapes and sizes and… we’ve kinda lost track of all of them.
If you could take some time and just help us organize the little ones. Just pick them up and place them on the grid over there.
And don’t worry, they won’t bite even if you rotate them a bit.
The Long Gate

A first person puzzle game where you need to solve ancient machinery puzzles based on computer and engineering science.

The Long Gate is a challenging and beautiful single-player, first-person, puzzle game. You will explore ancient caverns filled with mysterious devices and traverse relaxing oases of nature while learning to solve the three primary types of puzzles that wind through them. Find out what created this place and what happened to them since.
Most of the puzzles can be completed in any order and many have more than a single possible solution for you to discover, and mastering a circuit type will provide keys to new areas and secrets. If you ever get stuck on a puzzle you can explore somewhere else, then come back later, or you can open the settings menu and turn on hints.
Nearly all of The Long Gate’s puzzles are based on real world technologies, and it contains accurate depictions of quantum circuits and a 4-bit quantum computer, verified by scientists at D-Wave Systems, the world’s first commercial quantum computer company. To progress through the game, you will intuitively learn the basic principles that form the backbones of each puzzle type.

Radical Relocation

Physics based puzzle game where you need to move your stuff from your old house to your new one... in one go.

IN A WORLD MILDLY INCONVENIENCED BY A LACK OF MOVING COMPANIES, YOU HAVE TO MOVE HOUSE...
Stack and balance your furniture on top of 24 different vehicles - then drop, crack, break, and shatter all your belongings and try again. All the puzzles are physics-based, so you can put your real-life experience to the test!
So you’ve mastered the dependable, durable box? Pfft. Child’s play! Try a basketball hoop on top of a piano on top of a kitchen sink on top of a BBQ! With a huge range of destructible furniture available; no two levels are the same!
Solid stacking isn’t enough - you’ll need skilful driving too. Avoid the horrors of a beautiful low-poly suburbia and its bordering waters; dangerous jet skis, dastardly garbage cans, and deceptive potholes all seek to thwart your attempts at moving house!
You now have a future in the moving industry. Good luck.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Yeah, RT is definitely becoming the industry norm, especially with how next-gen consoles are pushing it as well. But honestly, I'd prefer DLSS to kickoff faster than RT. Realtime lighting and reflections are nice, but the better overall visuals and performance that you can get from DLSS is way more important and preferable to me.
In a very rough way, RT feels like what screen-space techniques and reprojection were to gen 7. A new way of doing things enabled by the hardware becoming just powerful enough that you could afford it. And really, it's quite exciting to think of where the PC is going to be in five years, when we won't have to hold back so much on the subset and detail of the scene traced through.

I would still argue that screen-space techniques are hugely efficient and I think their use in the right places is still very relevant.

Reactions: lashman and ISee
Status
Not open for further replies.