Community MetaSteam | October 2022 - The phantom thieves & Friends will take your wallet this month, holy f***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Gameplay video. There is a lot of emphasis on traps and buildables. I almost worry that you will spend so much time putting up buildables that it will take away from the actual combat, but maybe the video was just emphasizing that mechanic. I really can't comment on how the gameplay compares, but it looks looser than MH. It looked like one of the characters had dual blades, but it turned into a giant ninja star that he used to set off an explosive trap so it may simply be a consumable.

I'm interested, but I will probably rent it on console first before I decide to drop 70 bones on it.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Just did the first food run of the month. Blew more than half the monthly budget.
I’m not exactly shitting bricks. I have become the brick. My fears transcend space and time.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Just did the first food run of the month. Blew more than half the monthly budget.
I’m not exactly shitting bricks. I have become the brick. My fears transcend space and time.
Did the same today and food has become so expensive! Seriously cheapest apples I could find were like 0.50€ per apple! And one is supposed to eat five fruits per day. Fucking scurvy here I come!

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
I think this is not a terrible start.

There's clearly some major problems with drivers. I haven't watched this video, but in Ars' review, there's cases where going from 4K to 1440p only improved peformance for some titles ( I think it was GTA V) by maybe 5%. In other words, despite clearly reducing required workload for the GPU by a ton, there's barely any improvements. Clearly the driver has to do something different for these games to make them run decent on Arc cards. And from what I understand, this is actually not unusual with GPU drivers. PC games at times do very strange things and Nvidia and AMD have just had years to deal with all this stuff. That's why you get these monthly updates by Nvidia providing "game ready" drivers.
I think if Intel is willing to hire a large team to keep chipping at this problem and improve drivers, I think they can get to a decent spot in maybe 3 or 5 years.
Yeah, if they manage to overcome these initial hurdles, a 3rd player in the GPU market can be a positive, especially for the mid range market that has been getting too expensive these past few years.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Gameplay video. There is a lot of emphasis on traps and buildables. I almost worry that you will spend so much time putting up buildables that it will take away from the actual combat, but maybe the video was just emphasizing that mechanic. I really can't comment on how the gameplay compares, but it looks looser than MH. It looked like one of the characters had dual blades, but it turned into a giant ninja star that he used to set off an explosive trap so it may simply be a consumable.

I'm interested, but I will probably rent it on console first before I decide to drop 70 bones on it.
With the gameplay video it looks like it rips off Monster Hunter even more than Toukiden did (and it's like they deliberately show things like carving and part breaking to ensure people see it's that close to its inspiration). That's a good thing for combat dynamics and monster behaviours. It looks well done (maybe it needs a touch more hit stop), there's not too much focus on the contraptions like I thought might take away from the action, they look comparable to the traps and bombs and such in Monster Hunter really. I imagine the battle is skipped there and it's not so easy and speedy to take such a monster down, you'll be slashing at their feet a lot like at the start and like in Monster Hunter. They've already said it's split in zones and what not so I guess the core game loop is going to be pretty similar as well, as it was in Toukiden, just taking on hunting missions and what not. If the end game also requires as much time & dedication as Monster Hunter though, people may just as well wait for World 2 or whatever it's going to be called instead, the real deal instead of the imitator, as good as it may be, especially if it's shown off before this thing releases and isn't coming too much later, but good job, I'll probably try it. Of course it needs everything a Monster Hunter game needs to be good (as they always manage to be), the weapons, monster roster, meta game, gathering, upgrading, etc., all the good stuff.

Last edited:

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
Did the same today and food has become so expensive! Seriously cheapest apples I could find were like 0.50€ per apple! And one is supposed to eat five fruits per day. Fucking scurvy here I come!
I barely got my paycheck and I already had to use half of it to buy new car tires. Why anything car related is so expensive :/

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I barely got my paycheck and I already had to use half of it to buy new car tires. Why anything car related is so expensive :/
Oh God, I wouldn't go as far as saying I'm 'lucky', but being a jobless loser is sparing me the expenses for a car. Between gas and insurance, I don't know how people do it.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Unrelated but reading the new windows functionalities that came today... Microsoft localization is a trash fire. They look more amateurish than 99% of companies. Game pass categories must have been machine translated to French, and it shows. Dungeon Crawlers are Dungeon Caterpillars if memory serves, ffs.
And now a functionality described in French with an English word, just because. And no, it's not one of those words that can be understood by a non-English speaker. Let's reverse the thing to be clear : 'Activate vocal access to talk instead of écrire'. That's an official Microsoft page.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
I hope SC announces soon where they'll launch the PC version. I want to play it on the Deck too, and it seems easier to just boot up Heroic than messing around with Yuzu.
I've been using Lutris launcher for PC VNs on Deck, many games that were giving me issues with codecs (Closed Game eroge intro f.e.) managed to work nicely launched with lutris and there's even an option to put a shortcut for the game you want on Steam.
That said yuzu is pretty easy to use once you configure one game, you just need to change ISO location for the other games.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Mivey

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
I was playing Chicken Invaders Universe today, when some dude joined my game, wrote "imagine playing on a GeForce" in the chat and then he left. Is gpu fanboyism really a thing nowadays? 🙄

Two Things Are Infinite: the Universe and Human Stupidity

Started Industria and Forgive Me Father from the previous monthly, both seem quite interesting. Industria doesn't hold your hand so far.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
This is actually a really good point about how the experience living in a former Soviet satellite state shaped the writing and setting of Disco Elysium. As most players of Disco probably understood, the game is a not so very subtle mirror to our modern capitalist world.

While the news about DE is super sad, I'm interested in whether the sequel could still end up being a good game in own right. The world needs more literary RPGs. It's just hard to have any faith in this studio given how careless they are in retaining the talent they already had.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
For what it's worth i know person that works on new Disco game and they are usually very vocal about industry issues but now they just said that things are not like they are looking from media reports.

Also we will wait a lot until next big Witcher game

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
Weird that they have the second pathfinder game but not the second. Of course it’s also the only one I dont have but would probably be cheaper to buy from sale
Wrath of the righteous was just on sale for like 20$ (The base edition) when they launched their "Enhanced Edition" a week or two or three ago so It's going to be around that price soonish again

I also imagine theyll have some sort of sale thing for Halloween and something in November

Deleted member 113

Yesterday I mentioned overlooked games with arcade-ish gameplay.

Today, I have to mention what is probably my favourite game of the year, the criminally overlooked Ninja JaJaMaru: The Great Yokai Battle + Hell.

This game started life as a bonus title for a Japanese-only collection of Ninja JaJaMaru games. If you don't know the series (that dates back to the 8-bit era), that's perfectly alright, barely anyone does outside of Japan, since most titles never left the country.
The Steam release of this "bonus" game is actually a rather extended new version (hence the "+ Hell" bit at the end), and I believe it's still the only version currently available in English.

So, what is this game?
It's an extremely fun, colourful, action/platformer, with score-attack gameplay like most titles you would find at arcades, and a very generous amount of content and unlockables, including plenty of callbacks and tributes not only to the previous games in the series, but to various JALECO games (for example, you have a power up that turns you into a baseball player from Bases Loaded, another turns you into a car from City Connection, and plenty more). Have I mentioned the power-up that makes you ride a giant frog, while a disco ball drops down, and starts playing the insanely catchy main theme for the game (whose MV I'll post below)? :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:
It plays like a cross between Mario Bros. (the original arcade game, not the NES platformer) and Bubble Bobble on steroids, and it's a blast.

I rarely review titles on Steam, but ended up doing one for this title, which I'll now quote:

«Ninja JaJaMaru: The Great Yokai Battle + Hell is a must have for fans of classic arcade games, and a welcome surprise.

This new entry in a series that was insanely popular in Japan, but perfectly unknown outside of it (since most titles never left Japan), is a whole lot of fun!
It plays like a cross between Mario Bros. (the original arcade game, not the NES platformer), and Bubble Bobble, and it has the kind of simple, fast, addictive gameplay that anyone can pick up and play, and that you'll be coming back to, to improve your scores.
Add a colourful and insanely "happy" visual and audio presentation, and it's the kind of game that is sure to leave you with a huge smile in your face. I mean, where else will you find a power up that makes you ride a frog, while a disco ball drops down from the ceiling, and a catchy Japanese chiptune/hip hop track starts playing, while you go around eating everything that moves?!

On top of the addictive gameplay, and a fun audio and visual presentation, this is a really great package, since it features a healthy amount of stages, and plenty of unlockables to keep you coming for more, including countless unlockable characters (some from other Jaleco titles), alternate modes, retro soundtrack options, and a rather healthy amount of materials from past entries in the series (including various box art and cartridge photos, concept art, design documents, and more).

I can't recommend this game enough!»

---

If you like games with simple, addictive, pick up and play gameplay, that will keep you coming back and back for more, do consider giving this one a try. I really can't recommend it enough, and it's quite heartbreaking that the title remains so "unknown" among Steam users, so much that it even still has "Profile Features Limited" months after its release. I want to add it as a personal favourite in my Steam profile, and I'm unable to. :cry:

Here's some media for the game:

Trailer:

MV for the insanely catchy track that plays during the main menu, a mix between Japanese hip-hop and retro chiptune melodies:

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Am I imagining things or do WRPG's just have shit voice-acting for the male protag?

FemShep Vs. MaleShep, Fallout 4 M Vs. F, and now I'm playing CP2077... FemV blows MaleV out of the damn water and it's not even close. MaleV sounds so deadpan and bored all the time no matter what is happening.

I know Western VA's can get it right sometimes, like the western cast for NieR and NieR Automata. FFXV, XIV, XIII.... Wait, maybe Square-Enix is just good at finding the right people and everyone else is shit?

Anyway, you guys ever feel like this with WRPG? I thought I would play as Male V at least once for one of my 3 CP2077 playthroughs, but the voice just turns me off it so bad.

actual_norwegian_guy

Rebranded...
Apr 15, 2021

"And in recent news, the community for classic first-person-shooter video game "Team Fortress 2" celebrate their long-standing longevity, as their game outlasts another first-person-shooter titled "Overwatch", in which the servers for the aforementioned had shut down newly. This caused a large shockwave throughout the gaming community, as Team Fortress 2 released in 2007, while Overwatch released in 2016, several years later."

"While the Overwatch 1 players sadly move onto the free-to-play sequel, Team Fortress 2 players can choose to happily toast to almost five years of no major updates happily, as they spend more money on cosmetic items which adds almost nothing to the game. Cheers for five more years."

Mona

The Giveaway Gal
AI
Jul 10, 2021

Giveaway

Restrictions & Conditions:

Hello, I'm the Giveaway Bot! TioChuck is giving away 1 gift(s).

This giveaway is a raffle and will be closed after Oct 6, 2022 at 9:03 AM. A winner is chosen randomly with the key delivered via a PM.

The raffle has ended.

The following games are being given away:

Deleted member 113

If anyone is in the mood for some classic dot-eating, score-attack action, my two favourite Mindware Co. titles available on Steam are currently on sale, and bundled, so for a low price you can get two games that are great fun, and quite different.

The games are ALIEN FIELD:

And Space Mouse 2, a sequel made... 39 years later!

They may not be great "lookers", especially ALIEN FIELD, since it's hard to showcase the action on screenshots due to its fast pace, but both games are extremely fun and addictive.
ALIEN FIELD is a score-attack game, in which you have 3 minutes (which you can extend through item pickup) to score the most points, in a frenetic pace. Think of it as PAC-MAN Championship Edition on crack, and you would be close.
Space Mouse 2, on the other hand, plays like a cross between PAC-MAN and Dig Dug, and it has a much slower pace. Plus, it even has a turn-based mode!

Both games feature soundtracks by Junko Ozawa, the great composer of many classic Namco titles.
ALIEN FIELD has 3 more alternative soundtracks by different composers, plus the original 1981 version of the game (and another alternate version).

---

For those unaware of Mindware Co., they are a Japanese developer (well, mostly a one man effort by Mikito Ichikawa, aka MickyAlbert, online), who has been working for the past 30+ years in licensing classic Japanese games from the late 70's/early 80's, in order to re-release them both in their original versions, and as new versions made by himself, with some great talent (like composers Yuzo Koshiro, and Junko Ozawa) giving a hand.
He also works on restoring physical pinball tables (and even made a digital pinball game that's available on Steam, and was included on the original console version of SEGA's game Judgment), so the man is all about preserving gaming history.

Most of the titles he has released on Steam are exactly that, "bundles" that include both the original versions, and new arranged/re-imagined versions as well, which usually carry the suffix 3671, his "signature".
Space Mouse 2 is an exception, since it's an actual sequel, a full new game.

If anyone is curious, his next Steam release will be Uootoy 3671 (which should include the original version, plus his 3671 re-imagined version).
He is also supposed to be working on Slap Fight 3671, a re-imagining/sequel to the cult shmup Slap Fight, by Toaplan. He was the one who actually handled the Sega Mega Drive port back in the 80's, so it's a game he has connections to.

Here's a list of his Steam releases:

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
Played a bunch of demos...

Potionomics demo is neat
Undecember is the most generic thing I've played in a while. Or maybe it's a game from the future. A future where google's AI game generator exists and someone input: "south korean arpg kinda like path of exile but for mobile". IDK, maybe that's harsh, it looks and plays decent enough but it just feels like a vessel of videogame things happening on the screen.
Played a bunch of "survivors"-likes too. Genre has potential but people in this gold rush need to take some risks.
Installing Manor Lords and a bunch of other stuff...

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
About the MS and Sony legal thing.

Yeah it not good to chear on a company and stuff but I am curious as to what Sony will do in response.

If MS made CoD a Xbox exclusive or what not, then that is millions that Sony would be losing each year (or rather millions they are not making, since they aren't owed anything)

will be be seeing PC and PS launches being a lot close than 1 year, in order to make up for that CoD money?

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019

Yeah it not good to chear on a company and stuff but I am curious as to what Sony will do in response.

If MS made CoD a Xbox exclusive or what not, then that is millions that Sony would be losing each year (or rather millions they are not making, since they aren't owed anything)

will be be seeing PC and PS launches being a lot close than 1 year, in order to make up for that CoD money?
If I am Xbox I wouldn't make COD exclusive but I would definitely make it briefly timed exclusive starting next year.

Give PS users a later release while getting all the launch hardcore COD gamers by way of Gamepass etc. The marketing and everything will switch over to the Xbox console regardless. This way people can't complain you are taking something away from PS5 only owners. Those games have long legs anyways and you don't overwork the devs to release on so many platforms at once. So do Oct release for Xbox/PC and then get all the Christmas money from PS5 users with a Dec release. Maybe treat Warzone equally since that is a crossplatform type of mode.

Honestly I would do that for all the big Acti/Blizzard games moving forward. Even the big Bethesda games as well as there is no reason to not do late PS5 ports of Starfield + ElderScrolls6. You make a lot of money this way without burning out your devs and you grow Gamepass by turning it into a must have sub. You will get a lot of PS5 owners to buy into the Xbox or PC ecosystem too.

• Eyes

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto

Make smaller, targeted acquisitions in areas they lack a competitor game in, start bumping up their PC release window so it's closer and closer to ps5 launch date, play with pricing schemes to try and counter GamePass until their own sub service is viable.

Reactions: Tomasety and PC-tan

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Make smaller, targeted acquisitions in areas they lack a competitor game in, start bumping up their PC release window so it's closer and closer to ps5 launch date, play with pricing schemes to try and counter GamePass until their own sub service is viable.
Yeah, it's crazy how there are games out there that don't have a similar game to it and money is just being left on the table.

Look at Animal Crossing. That game made way way more money than God of War while also being way way cheaper to make. And no crunch from what I remember.

That Disney AC came out and has been popular. Once it fully releases and goes free to play and is cross save, it's likely going to be very successful.
I'm old

Bleach is old.

It seems that CR paid a lot of money to get the rights to Chainsawman

And in doing so lost the rights to Bleach.

Last edited:
  • Eyes
Status
Not open for further replies.