Community MetaSteam | October 2023 - Holy moly Snake, is that Tony Hawk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
When my year subscription to choice is up it really sounds like I should switch to monthly, because based on the discounts you all keep getting offered apparently it's cheaper :shrugblob:

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
When my year subscription to choice is up it really sounds like I should switch to monthly, because based on the discounts you all keep getting offered apparently it's cheaper :shrugblob:
I've bought all 10 Choices from this year for 64€. I cancel every month and they have always sent me a discount coupon. (Sometimes it's a multi-month deal though).

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Alexandros I use my Deck as a desktop PC every now and then and find it perfectly suitable. It just shows its limits when it comes to storage (although you could just hook up external storage) and performance in more graphically demanding titles. It great for playing in handheld mode, of course, but when you play stuff in desktop mode, it could be better.

___

Cities Skylines 2 starts out with a Steam review score of 29%, ouch.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
Easily the best 2D Mario game since Super Mario World on the SNES.
This quote comes up a lot, but I wanna just insert Yoshi's Island in there instead. But 2D Marios have been regressive for the almost 30 years since Yoshi's Island. Compared to something like Super Meat Boy, Spelunky, or other great 2D platformers, I'm not so sure about Mario Wonder.

I definitely like Mario Wonder ok. I've been mostly playing on emulation. Got it on Switch as well (that preorder ticket discount thing they do), but went back to playing it on PC...

My older brother used to play this back in the day.
I'm always happy to hear about the Tex Murphy games coming back in one way or another. The games are super obscure compared to how great they are (for the time, at least, if nothing else).

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019
That and I’m sick of games I want to play not working properly.
Right so, if that is your reason a Steam Deck is not your answer imho.

In my experience the amount of tinkering is higher depending on the game on Linux.
Specifically my experience on Steam Deck/Linux was that verified games are fine as far as launching and playing goes (obviously duh!?!) and most of the big releases seem to be verified so you won't have trouble on that front.

Some unverified games will require you to install Proton GloriousEggroll which is a custom version of Proton which integrates some fixes for certain games.
To do that you gotta go there

and either download from flathub or download the appimage, when run you can then select to install proton gloriouseggroll and keep it updated.
At which point you'll generally be fine with either Proton-GE. Proton, or Proton-experimental but some games will work better with one or another of those.

Some other games will require further tinkering / trial and error, a few examples following:

Persona 5 Strikers:
the best way to play this game is to use proton-GE and use the following custom launch option
Code:
GST_PLUGIN_FEATURE_RANK=protonaudioconverterbin:NONE %command%
By using using this settings the game is playable, otherwise audio would be missing during cutscenes

Note: when I played this there was no fix for cutscenes, only option was to watch them on youtube while playing

FFX + X-2 remaster:
For some reason the game will not launch unless you downgrade proton

DQ heroes 2:
Proton-GE required to play cutscenes

Yakuza 5 remastered:
when i played it back I had audio/video issues and it was annoying as hell during cutscenes, this review which is 3 months old outlines some issues

Digimon Survive:
it had controller layout issues and crashing issues after the first cutscene unless playing with proton-GE, the latter solution is obvious but the former seems to be iffy to fix, you either use a community layout or you need to mod your game (i simply lived with it)

Monster Hunter Rise:
Mods that need D2D don't work (duh!) and mods that are .pak files don't work unless they are updated after every Title Update, not all are.
There's a whole reddit thread about getting Reframework to work

Mind you these are all random examples off the top of my head which I had to look up in order to play my games so as I said your experience may vary depending on what you play, in fact it'll most likely be a great experiece, but overall not all games are verified and some WILL require some tinkering.
As you probably know I play mostly JP games so those are the games I had the most issues with hence the examples that come to mind are those and again experience may vary.

One note which probably doesn't apply to you, but just in case.
I sometimes cheat in my games, and I definitely ALWAYS have at some point cheat engine open to speed up the game on demand to 2x or 3x the speed depending on the game and this is a pain on steam. I'm used to do this on a whim when I feel like I just wanna speed up things, this is not possible on steam deck as you gotta install tools in order to run software such as cheat engine in the same instance of proton the game is running, otherwise CE won't detect the game. This a pain in the ass because I gotta use a tool to launch the game together with CE ALWAYS, just in case i'll need it and if it closes I cannot launch it again unless i relaunch the game.

On a closing note I'll point out that I personally do not like to rely on Proton-GE like I don't like to rely on anything with a bus factor of one.
Some of the issues I listed might be minor, but personally I find that all those small things are the things that annoy me the most.

That said a lot of games work out of the box and fine, so depending on what you play the tinkering might as well be none or very limited, in fact the majority of what you play will most likely be fine so the spirit of my post is only to make you aware of that, so that you don't go in "blind" expecting everything to work fine from the get go, to do that I "had" to list negative examples for obvious reasons and not the stuff that works (which is a lot).

I have been considering going with just a Steam Deck when the time comes to upgrade so I would like to hear your opinions and objections on this topic. Why would you recommend against using just a Steam Deck as your main gaming PC?
see the above!
I think it's a good option as long as you know what you're purchasing.

Last edited:

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
While i don't wanna excuse Konami not putting effort into this release of a world renowend franchise, i do have to say that i'd still prefer lazy ports like these over no ports at all, as would be the case for a lot of PS1 and PS2 games i'd like to see on steam.

jads653

MetaMember
Oct 18, 2021
Utrecht, Netherlands
While i don't wanna excuse Konami not putting effort into this release of a world renowend franchise, i do have to say that i'd still prefer lazy ports like these over no ports at all, as would be the case for a lot of PS1 and PS2 games i'd like to see on steam.
Hey if we get a barely functional port of MGS4 out of this I will be happy. Modding will take care of the rest.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
I don't think calling this no effort is entirely fair, tbh. They included a ton of extra content and even the NES versions of the first two games as bonuses. They're also fixing a bunch of issues that Bluepoint introduced in their remasters.

Lack of arbitrary resolution and uncapped frametate is super disappointing for sure, but all things considered it sounds like these are the best (official) way to play the games right now. I've been wanting a Steam release of these games for like a decade at this point, so I'll gladly take this "low effort" collection.

Hey if we get a barely functional port of MGS4 out of this I will be happy. Modding will take care of the rest.
If all I get is basic rereleases of MGS1-3 on Steam, I'll be happy. But if we somehow get MGS4 out of PS3 jail as well?

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
Shame about the MGS ports, I'll just keep playing the HD collection on RPCS3.
So pleased I diond't pre-oreder it.

• Eyes
Reactions: dummmyy

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I think if the MGS ports are functional on Windows and Steam Deck, that's fine. That's the bare minimum I expected from these. I don't much care that MGS1 isn't running at 4K 120fps or whatever, but MGS2 and MGS3 will likely look better once (if) the community fixes the resolution and I won't turn my nose up at that. But in the end, these are old games, and I think SD console games going up to HD don't always look that good.

My main big issue is the lack of cloud saves.

OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
From what I’ve heard. Might have to test it out myself.
Tried and none worked for me, sadly. Will wait for a proton patch or game patch.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I don’t know if that was aimed at me, but I’m not “excusing mediocrity” by saying a PS1 game looks bad at higher resolutions. It’s just my view on the matter and I hold it regardless of the game.

Where I can avoid it, I always play PS1 games (ported or emulated) at their original resolution because that’s what they were made for, and the added sharpness of rendering higher makes them look terrible and adds no appreciable detail.

As far as MGS 2 & 3 goes, it looks like a community patch is out.

For the PS2 games, I think the cleanness of higher resolutions will probably look better and Konami should’ve done this from the start. But they’re still 20 year old games - higher resolutions and framerates will have diminishing returns.

Even still, these are great games, even if the ports are barebones. I think if you want to avoid these because you can’t play them at 4k120fps then whatever. No one’s forcing you to buy it.

By the same virtue, don’t shame people for buying them.

Tried and none worked for me, sadly. Will wait for a proton patch or game patch.
That’s a shame. Sorry for getting your hopes up.

• Comfy
Reactions: Kvik

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
Anybody playing Crymachina, is there any way to delete manual saved data?
I don't see that option in game menu. I have two instances and I want to remove one them.
Thanks in advance.
I see saved file in cloudstorage game zone
ManualSave01.sav but I cannot see it in local files.
Is there any way to delete manual saved data?

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Anybody playing Crymachina, is there any way to delete manual saved data?
I don't see that option in game menu. I have two instances and I want to remove one them.
Thanks in advance.
I see saved file in cloudstorage game zone
ManualSave01.sav but I cannot see it in local files.
Is there any way to delete manual saved data?
I don’t have the game so take this for what it’s worth, but apparently save games are stored in:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\CRYMACHINA\Saved\SaveGames\<user-id>\

That’s according to PCGW - are the saves not in that location?

Reactions: Censored

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Even still, these are great games, even if the ports are barebones.
I think the amount of content they put on the collection is commendable, and there's certainly an effort there, but sadly it falls short in terms of polish. If an MGS fan is less technically inclined, then the collection is just right for them, since they perceived the value differently.

However, once you look into the technical side of the games itself, I can't help feeling that for such a popular franchise, it deserves more effort from Konami. Releasing the games in this state; which arguably can look and perform worse when compared to the original Playstation release, is simply unacceptable, in my opinion. As much as I enjoy playing MGS games, I won't even consider purchasing the games if it remains unpatched.

I do agree with you that one shouldn't shame people for enjoying one game or another, though.

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
I don’t have the game so take this for what it’s worth, but apparently save games are stored in:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\CRYMACHINA\Saved\SaveGames\<user-id>\

That’s according to PCGW - are the saves not in that location?
Perfect it worked, there were the local save files.
after remove that file, I had to unsync cloud saves, play the game and create a more actual file and then sync again to make Steam ask for the conflict files and overwrite them.
thanks again.
I hate when they put save files in AppData/Local/

• Gib
Reactions: C-Dub

Gamall Wednesday Ida

Just a loon, apparently.
Dec 4, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
Please stop rewarding and excusing mediocrity, you're only making things worse for everyone.
I was certain they didn't even support M&K at all, which killed any interest I had in it, but I now see:

METAL GEAR SOLID - Master Collection Version is best experienced with a controller. This title also supports keyboard controls.
Back when it was announced, there was a discussion about how difficult the controls were to translate to M&K: Community - MetaSteam | June 2023 - halfway through the year

If anyone is playing MGS with M&K, I'm curious to know how that materialised.

I'll buy MGS on a deep discount after modders fix it
From comments on steam it seems to just be isos bundled with a barebones emulator. If so, presumably you could use the isos with a better emulator?

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
I'm surprised so many people are willing to give the MGS collection the time of day considering the terrible state it's in.

Speaking of games in PS3 jail, I'd love a remaster of Resistance 3.

Reactions: lashman

Lashley

Computer Cowboy 🤠
I was certain they didn't even support M&K at all, which killed any interest I had in it, but I now see:

Back when it was announced, there was a discussion about how difficult the controls were to translate to M&K: Community - MetaSteam | June 2023 - halfway through the year

If anyone is playing MGS with M&K, I'm curious to know how that materialised.

From comments on steam it seems to just be isos bundled with a barebones emulator. If so, presumably you could use the isos with a better emulator?
Yeah, but I've waited this long to have it on steam

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
FIrst, for some reason they reverted the name changes and now the games are back to the less insane naming convention.

This was nothing more than a personal nitpick but it's nice to see all the same.

Second, man it's been so long since I've played MGS1 that I'm fucking terrible at it now. I keep getting spotted and I have to fight every fiber of my being not to restart my entire run each time. There's no way I'll get a good rating on this first run so I should just stop trying to ghost the game lmao. Oh and confirm/cancel being inverted sure as shit isn't helping. Completely forgot the early games were like this lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: C-Dub and lashman

Kal1m3r0

MetaMember
Jan 9, 2021
They seemed just bare ports at first, but now other problems are surfacing, on consoles too. There are a lot of audio issues and apparently something wrong with the analog controls on MGS1 (not sure if the latter was in the HD remaster too)

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I have been considering going with just a Steam Deck when the time comes to upgrade so I would like to hear your opinions and objections on this topic. Why would you recommend against using just a Steam Deck as your main gaming PC?
As others have said, the Deck is a great machine and I consider it to be the best gaming console out there in the market. I bring it outside often and love my time with it during commuting. However, at the end of the day, many games need extra tinkering, and the specs are just not there for high-end games, especially during the time where many PC releases are not optimized. Older titles, JRPGs and indies are great, but sometimes if you want a new and bombastic AAA game to change your gaming pace, the Deck is not a good option to run them.

Reactions: Alexandros

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Another thing I love is that you can create fake save data on the simulated memory card for the Psycho Mantis fight.

Personally, I'm happy with this collection so far. I went in hoping for the best but with abysmal expectations and this seems... serviceable. Basic ports in a pretty good package. Not exactly ideal but I can live with that. As long as they fix all the bugs people are running into.

They seemed just bare ports at first, but now other problems are surfacing, on consoles too. There are a lot of audio issues and apparently something wrong with the analog controls on MGS1 (not sure if the latter was in the HD remaster too)
What's wrong with MGS1's analog controls? I've been having issues with precise movements using the stick but tbh I assumed that was jank due to the game's age and/or me being rusty. No issues with dpad movement.

Reactions: Cacher

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

so much for offering better service than pirates
At the very least they're going to index prices based on purchasing power which means they won't be paying as much as Americans. Not great, but still not quite as apocalyptic. One small positive is that the new regions will cover countries that didn't have any regional pricing in the past. EGS has done that for years and it is one legitimate competitive advantage they have over Steam, so maybe Valve will expand that to more regions in the future.

Reactions: QFNS

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Bold of you to think MGS4 will be more than a bare minimum port too
I meant specifically in terms of controls. The game lends itself better to KB/M than the first three games.

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
So... I'm super dumb for buying Metal Gear Solid: PCSX2 Collec... Er... Master Collection...

But anyway, I can't even launch MGS. The game starts, I'm greeted with the TOS screen and once I select Confirm, the screen just turns white and I can't do anything.

Oddly enough, if I spam some sick random button combos, thin black bars appear on the side* and then go away (again, after some choice button mashing). I haven't found a reliable button combination to trigger it... After 3-4 times, I only see endless white and have to alt+F4.

*It actually looks like it's a white rectangular overlay changing in size because I can see a few uneven pixels on the left side (maybe the first column of pixels of some white text on a black background)

I'd have asked for a refund, but cheapskate me decided to buy from Fanatical... Caveat emptor and all that, but fuck Konami.

• Sad
Reactions: ExistentialThought

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com

so much for offering better service than pirates
Though, this thing with the Turkish Lira is a mess, and it's affecting all the multi-currency platforms.
There are really two options here: having everyone dedicate people to update prices every day, or forcefully stabilize them until the crisis ends.

Of course it's not the Turkish people's fault and they will bear the brunt of it, but practically speaking the alternative is Steam suspending business in Turkey.

---

In other news, Cities: Skylines 2 reviews are so unfair it bothers me.
There are undeniable technical issues, but all those reviews saying it's literally unplayable with a 4090 and whatever the latest flagship CPU, are absolutely taking the piss.

Could it have used a few months of tech polish? Yes.
Is it the worst thing since the nazis? No, it's actually quite good, and has so many QoL improvements over CSL1!

I've played a couple of hours, following the tutorial and trying dumb stuff, and my first city looks like those from CSL1 pro players with 10 years worth of DLCs and 128GB of visual mods enabled. Of course, it would be prettier if allllll the texture loaded, but eh, CSL1 at day one was far worse and it turned out great.

Last edited:
Reactions: sanhora and lashman

undu

Mar 17, 2019
At the very least they're going to index prices based on purchasing power which means they won't be paying as much as Americans. Not great, but still not quite as apocalyptic. One small positive is that the new regions will cover countries that didn't have any regional pricing in the past. EGS has done that for years and it is one legitimate competitive advantage they have over Steam, so maybe Valve will expand that to more regions in the future.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
It honestly makes me low-key angry when a publisher takes a legendary franchise and then shits out a terrible "port" (or set of ports).

It's obvious that a re-release of MGS will make enough money to pay for an actual quality effort many times over, even when you are in the initial planning phase of the project.
Doing whatever they are doing instead 100% confirms that they give absolutely no shit about their franchise, and have no respect for their audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.