Community MetaSteam | October 2023 - Holy moly Snake, is that Tony Hawk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Since alan wake 2 isn't on PC I'll probably wait until ps5 pro is out to play it. It runs better than I expected but I still saw lots of shimmering in that DF vid thanks to FSR 2 and the low internal res. Hopefully a ps5 pro patch bumps up the internal res so FSR can actually be useful.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Imagine an alternate reality in which Epic, instead of wasting tons of cash on moneyhats and making an enemy out of the PC community, actually sought out developers and offered them full funding in order to make their dream game. Today they would be seen as heroes and the Epic Game Store would have a range of homegrown exclusives that everyone would be happy to buy in order to support more games coming out.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Imagine an alternate reality in which Epic, instead of wasting tons of cash on moneyhats and making an enemy out of the PC community, actually sought out developers and offered them full funding in order to make their dream game. Today they would be seen as heroes and the Epic Game Store would have a range of homegrown exclusives that everyone would be happy to buy in order to support more games coming out.
I probably would still avoid the epic store even if they didn't do this whole moneyhat thing, I was already burned by games for windows live, so it takes alot for me to trust yet another pc platform, and epic does have a history of abandoning projects (unreal tournament 4, pc gaming in general back in the ps3/360 era), so, I don't trust them.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I probably would still avoid the epic store even if they didn't do this whole moneyhat thing, I was already burned by games for windows live, so it takes alot for me to trust yet another pc platform, and epic does have a history of abandoning projects (unreal tournament 4, pc gaming in general back in the ps3/360 era), so, I don't trust them.
That is 100% fair, trust needs to be earned over time.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
They also abandoned Fortnite STW and their mobile game Battle Breakers as well, Spyjinx is another that didn't even make it out of closed beta. Wouldn't be shocked if Fall Guys got dropped at some point telling by the Mediatonic lay offs.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I keep looking at Etrian Odyssey on GG. deals but nope, insane pricing is insane.

Reactions: MegaApple
OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018

You're looking at multiple years. I'd guess 3-5 at the bare minimum.
by any chance do you have a link for this interview? I would like to save it as a source of official data.

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
Last edited:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Epic can kindly f*ck off, no matter what game they keep hostage on their store. Such a terrible company shouldn't become a major player in PC games distribution or publishing.
We had like 3 or four big PC games this year that simply skipped EGS, because of how much of a non-factor it is. EGS is already dead, and a niche title like Alan Wake of all things is not going to change that.
It's nice to see that Epics struggle somehow relevant led to an impossible game like Alan Wake 2 getting funded, with full creative control by Remedy. No meddling by dumb publishers, just letting Sam Lake go wild. There's a line in Faust, a German classical novel "I'm the force which always strives for evil, and yet accomplishes good" (spoken by Mephisto), and right now, Tim Epic is a bit like that for me. Whatever his terrible intentions are, it lead to something amazing in this one instance.
And it's all going to be in vain anyway. Alan Wake 2 will more than likely hit Steam some (many) years from now, and EGS will still stay irrelevant or even shut down.

Last edited:

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Man, those Alan Wake 2 reviews... I've been waiting for a sequel for so long. It's times like these I really wish I still owned a console. I'm actually tempted to say fuck it and just buy it on the EGS lmao. What are the chances it gets added to Gamepass in the near future?

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
We had like 3 or four big PC games this year that simply skipped EGS, because of how much of a non-factor it is. EGS is already dead, and a niche title like Alan Wake of all things is not going to change that.
It's nice to see that Epics struggle to be somehow relevant led to an impossible game like Alan Wake 2 getting funded, with full creative control by Remedy. No meddling by dumb publishers, just letting Sam Lake go wild. There's a line in Faust, a German classical novel "I'm the force which always strives for evil, and yet accomplishes good" (spoken by Mephisto), and right now, Tim Epic is a bit like that for me. Whatever his terrible intentions are, it lead to something amazing in this one instance.
And it's all going to be in vain anyway. Alan Wake 2 will more than likely hit Steam some (many) years from now, and EGS will still stay irrelevant or even shut down.
I'm not so sure about that. If Epic's publishing label takes off because games like AW2 are successful, we're back at the start with the whole exclusive nonsense. Only this time we're looking at years or even permanent exclusivity.

And you know as good as I do that Epic won't focus on publishing niche games that other publishers don't want to accept. Instead, they will use their loss leader strategy to bring independent developers on board who have been most successful on Steam. I'll be happy to boycott any game to prevent this from happening.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I'm not so sure about that. If Epic's publishing label takes off because games like AW2 are successful, we're back at the start with the whole exclusive nonsense. Only this time we're looking at years or even permanent exclusivity.

And you know as good as I do that Epic won't focus on publishing niche games that other publishers don't want to accept. Instead, they will use their loss leader strategy to bring independent developers on board who have been most successful on Steam. I'll be happy to boycott any game to prevent this from happening.
AW2 was not a small indie game, and likely cost somewhere around 20 to 40 million, is my guess. It's not at all clear that it makes that back, reviews or not.

Small indies aren't driving anyone away from Steam, and going for bigger titles is a super risky business. I really don't see an obvious path here. Ironically, releasing on Steam would actually be the financially smarter choice if Epic really does become a successful publisher.

Reactions: Ge0force

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Man, those Alan Wake 2 reviews... I've been waiting for a sequel for so long. It's times like these I really wish I still owned a console. I'm actually tempted to say fuck it and just buy it on the EGS lmao. What are the chances it gets added to Gamepass in the near future?
It might show up on a subscription service in the future as Alan Wake Remastered did on PS. However I wouldn't expect it to show up on the Xbox PC app as Epic obviously wants people buying it on their store.

AW2 was not a small indie game, and likely cost somewhere around 20 to 40 million, is my guess. It's not at all clear that it makes that back, reviews or not.

Small indies aren't driving anyone away from Steam, and going for bigger titles is a super risky business. I really don't see an obvious path here. Ironically, releasing on Steam would actually be the financially smarter choice if Epic really does become a successful publisher.

Assuming AW2 was the Tier 1 title, it had a budgeted cost of $40 million (plus $10 million marketing) which means you're spot on.

We won't know if it makes its budget back until Remedy releases their financial report next year and they mention if they have received royalties for it or not.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
It would be, but Tim's hate boner against Valve (and Apple/Google) seems to be more important for him. We have seen that Epic rather shuts down games and fires close to 1000 employees, than releasing their games on Steam or iOS to get (a lot) more money.

I'm not gonna repeat all the shitty stuff Epic has pulled off during the past five years. We're all aware of that here, and we all know that the major reason why Epic failed is that most PC gamers refused to buy games on EGS. Once that changes, the clock is being reset.

I'm not sure if Epic Publishing will go on (beyond whatever deal already exists). Now that they have fucked their fornite monetization and borrowing money isn't "free" anymore.
I'm pretty sure the sales for AW2 and the next Gendesign and Playdead games will determine this.

Yoshi

o_O
Jan 5, 2019
🎃 Halloween Sale Deals 🎃

Last edited:

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
Welp, I bought it (on GMG for 41 euros).

Yeah I hate EGS and this is an exception, I don't plan on making buying games there a regular thing. But it's Remedy. I have been playing their games since Death Rally. If I knew this was temporary exclusive coming to steam in a year, I would wait, but since it was mostly funded by Epic, I don't expect Steam release for years, if ever. And at that point, why wait.

(sailing the high seas occured to me, but again, it's Remedy. I would feel dirty doing that do them)

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I'm not gonna repeat all the shitty stuff Epic has pulled off during the past five years. We're all aware of that here, and we all know that the major reason why Epic failed is that most PC gamers refused to buy games on EGS. Once that changes, the clock is being reset.
EGS didn't fail because people ideologically rejected it. Do you remember the "boycotting Modern Warfare 2 meme"? People are terrible about doing stuff out of principle. Most people just want to have fun and follow the path of least resistance. And that's the rub: using Steam is a great experience, while using EGS is terrible. That's in addition to the fact that most people don't seem to want to use any client except Steam, as it's the most convenient option.
So really, all this worrying how Alan Wake 2 of all things will set of the end of PC Gaming or whatever, is just incredibly silly and at this point is just getting on my nerves. It's like I'm having the same conversation with the same old arguments again and again and again. EGS is a failed project and nothing will save it at this point.

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Hmm, just found out there's a Soul Reaver 2 and Blood Omen 2 fixes when browsing the classic rebirth site. Looks pretty good.

Ohh Dead Space on -47% as part of the bundle. Getting a strong urge to buy it. Not sure if it'll be >-50% during the Winter Sale.
It's on game pass/ea play now if you just want to play it btw.

Last edited:

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
EGS didn't fail because people ideologically rejected it. Do you remember the "boycotting Modern Warfare 2 meme"? People are terrible about doing stuff out of principle. Most people just want to have fun and follow the path of least resistance. And that's the rub: using Steam is a great experience, while using EGS is terrible. That's in addition to the fact that most people don't seem to want to use any client except Steam, as it's the most convenient option.
So really, all this worrying how Alan Wake 2 of all things will set of the end of PC Gaming or whatever, is just incredibly silly and at this point is just getting on my nerves. It's like I'm having the same conversation with the same old arguments again and again and again. EGS is a failed project and nothing will save it at this point.
Yeah I remember the Modern Warfare 2 meme; it actually showed that the absolute majority of people in that group were not playing the game, so what's your point? 🤔

I also never said that AW2 will set the end of PC gaming. But I'm convinced it will delay the death of the EGS, and lead to another wave of exclusives, once again frustrating a lot of PC gamers. Let's leave it at that.

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
I also never said that AW2 will set the end of PC gaming. But I'm convinced it will delay the death of the EGS, and lead to another wave of exclusives, once again frustrating a lot of PC gamers. Let's leave it at that.
I'm going to be 100% honest with this, and simply writing these sentences hurts, but
The only thing AW2 will do is getting Remedy closer to the grave. AWR made 0 money, AW2 will make 0 money except it costed 10 times as much (but at least it's digital only meaning there are no unsold copies o the game stored somewhere)
AW2 will get devoured by every other release coming out this month (if not this week). No amount of amazing reviews will change this. And the performance surely won't help
I don't think the next Gendesign or Playdead game will even see the light of the day
The EGS was dead before AW2 got it's first trailer. The layoffs already happened, fortnite revenue is already down. The only reason why the EGS is still online is because of Timmy's ego. There is no game or feature that can change this

Do not worry about the EGS demise. Do not worry about AW2. There is no reason to care for things long gone

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
The only way for EGS to become successful is if people start buying third party games there en masse without epic bribing them, and I can't see that happening when EGS offers precisely nothing to attract people to do that. People only go there for exclusives, free games, and big coupon-subsidized discounts (which have been retired now, afaik).

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
It feels crazy to me that the next Yakuza game will give us the first home versions of Daytona 2 and Fighting Vipers 2.

Decided to check out Eternights because it's supposed to be a decent Persona clone.
After a few hours I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised.
You have to get over the fact that the protagonist looks like a 10 year old and the pervy dialogue is omnipresent, but there's a lot to like.
The combat is good and the characters are actually decent after they get some time to develop. There are also some funny dialogue options for the protagonist.
It's obviously low budget but there are animated cutscenes and the dialogue is fully voiced with good performances by the actors.
I half expected to drop it after the first hour, but unless it overstays its welcome and becomes too repetitive I'm definitely finishing it. Very admirable effort for such a small team.

Status
Not open for further replies.