Community MetaSteam | September 2020 - An Offer You Definitively Can't Refuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
This indie "blobber" launched earlier this week on Steam, and it looks promising, if you don't mind the dated visuals:

Here's a trailer:

And some gameplay footage:

A demo should also be available soon.
Agreed with the others that it has its charms, but I'm trying to put my finger on why.

But more than anything it vividly reminds me of Everquest, and sure enough if you read the official site the blog posts are peppered with EQ comments, so it seems like it was very much intentional, and I'd say they succeeded in that aspect.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Built my first thread. :cat-heart-blob:

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Final Fantasy VII Remake was an exceptional circumstance. Clearly PlayStation fans were begging Sony to step in on that one - we know that people like Gio Corsi, Shahid Ahmad and Adam Boyes were actively encouraging the community give them suggestions of games to pursue and it's likely that may have led to a business decision to significantly encourage (i.e. fund heavily) the earlier stages of the project.

So far FF7R is pretty much the only high profile Sony-only exclusive they've done in recent memory. NieR:Automata, Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts III were all multiplatform, even if that didn't include PC day one (or ever), and Project Athia is PS5 and PC. I'm expecting Final Fantasy XVI to get an announced PC release, because I still think Sony is more interested in keeping games off Xbox than off PC.

The only way Square Enix is going to keep XVI off PC day one is by choice. Now that I wouldn't put past them.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Well, I tested Crowfall and came away badly disappointed. It's every bit identical to every MMO I've ever played, despite how nice the Art and premise was. A boring world made me nope out pretty quickly, not to mention the performance. I hope there are others to look forward to :/.

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
I was playing Among Us right now. Pretty fun indeed but I can see it getting stale (at least with random strangers online) before Fall Guys. It'll always be a better game than Fall Guys with people you know though.

Reactions: Tomasety

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
I'm not sure this was posted or discussed. I had to read over 10+ pages of content so please forgive me if may miss it.

3060 or 60 range is what some would call "peasants" territory. Well, if you are a "peasant" like me, the article is good news if you plan to build a new pc soon.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France

Also, sorry for the lack of activity during the last week. Darkest Dungeon got the worst of me. It's extremely addictive. (and grindy as well, which is my only biggest complaint)
I hope the few people who believe "hidden gems" do not exist read this story.

Behind the dizzying ride to the top for Among Us
September 11, 2020

[...]

You may recall me mentioning, in the last newsletter, the amazing ‘out of the blue’ success of multiplayer party game Among Us on Steam. (It’s the top global seller right now.)

[...]

After launching in November 2018 on Steam, and having an extremely slow start there, the game has just exploded in recent weeks - in ways almost unprecedented on Steam for a title that’s been available for some time.

[...]

ForteBass’ comments bear this out: “It's the end of 2019. America and Europe are not our big customers: Brazil, Korea, and the Middle East are. Google Play is our breadwinner & IAP for maps and pets are why.”

So it turns out that YouTubers have covered this game extensively before, just not English-language ones.

[...]

We had considered wrapping up Among Us back then, because profitability was not in sight. But the Brazilian audience drove us to create more content, and that was wise.”

As for another major territory in question: “Our first audience was Korea, and they still constitute 50% of our Steam Among Us sales. That all started in Dec 2018 with Kevin Choi. He found Among Us via itch.io, and I think that's because we got a day of promotion on the front page. This is literally the only promotion we have expressly asked for.”

So as we can see, Among Us was popular and had good retention in other territories way before this big viral spike in North America and Europe. But it looks like those who saw streamers playing the game gravitated towards the free mobile version - also because those territories play more mobile than PC games.

[...]

“In February 2020, Steam reached out to us for a daily deal, and we went for 50% off. If I remember rightly, each of those two days produced an entire month of sales, and left us with a higher baseline of sales after, as well as a boatload of wishlists. So that in turn made our Summer sale worthwhile - which snowballed into minor top seller visibility. (#35-ish).”

ForteBass speculates: “But why did we get a daily deal [in Feb]? Well, I didn't ask, but at the beginning of the year, Kaif (a… UK streamer) and his friends picked us up. We were already profitable by that point and actually had just announced Among Us as complete, which caused a sizable drop off of players. Kaif completely reversed that and brought in a wave of new European players (a new-ish market for us), particularly on Steam

Last edited:

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
If anyone is curious, these are the games the games on the bottom are the ones that will come to PC. So far only confirmed PS5 exclusive launch game is Astro's Playroom and Spidey.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Kena and Solar Ash are the only confirmed eggs of this list correct?

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Yeah, at this point I'd be surprised to see a Final Fantasy game not release on PC a year late. They have done it with IX, XII and will do it with VIIR. Making XVI an outlier would be strange.
I wonder why Sony is paying for this. I doubt this pushes anyone towards Sony platforms that doesn't already have one.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Hm, I should get another secondary controller to replace my DS3 soon-ish, what's the current recommendation here?
360, One, Ds4, Switch Pro, some 3rd party stuff or should I wait for the new controllers at this point?

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
accessories often hit shelves just before the consoles so might as well wait since it's less than two months at this point.

Reactions: Ascheroth

Deleted member 113

There are currently a million and one early access games on Steam (or at least, it feels like it :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:).
Some turn out great, some never end up completed, or fail to provide a good product.

I buy quite a few myself, and I would just like to list a few that I think are worth a look.

These 3 games are already so much fun, I'm sure the final game won't disappoint:

And the following 4 show a lot of promise, and are worth keeping an eye on:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Hm, I should get another secondary controller to replace my DS3 soon-ish, what's the current recommendation here?
360, One, Ds4, Switch Pro, some 3rd party stuff or should I wait for the new controllers at this point?
I like the DS4 in terms of its feeling and handling. I hear good things about the Xbox One controller, but since I don't like asymmetric controllers, I can't recommend that one.

Really hope the DualSense improves on the DS4s battery, that's the only real issue I have with it.

Deleted member 113

Did not know there was already another atom RPG.
Yeah, it was released back in May. ;)
It was supposed to be a standalone expansion (set in another location), with a smaller gameplay area (mostly a single big city).
But, based on feedback the developers have been expanding the map, and it will now feature a few more locations as well.

Their game support continues to be excellent (besides the frequent content updates and fixes for the new game, they have been porting some of the improvements done for this game back to the original ATOM RPG).

This is the kind of developer I like to support, one that instead of nickel-and-diming their customers with cosmetic micro-transactions, and crappy DLCs with barely any content, they offer free, awesome, post-launch support (actual meaningful stuff, like adding controller support as requested by some users, new content added to the game for free, engine upgrades and improvements whenever a new version of Unity is released, ...).

fokkusu

Burn baby burn🔥🎵
Dec 9, 2018
I have been using Switch Pro and it's great.

Reactions: QFNS and Ascheroth

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
There are currently a million and one early access games on Steam (or at least, it feels like it :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:).
Some turn out great, some never end up completed, or fail to provide a good product.

I buy quite a few myself, and I would just like to list a few that I think are worth a look.

These 3 games are already so much fun, I'm sure the final game won't disappoint:

And the following 4 show a lot of promise, and are worth keeping an eye on:

Thanks for the suggestions. I had some of them already on "follow". There are too many potential good games on early access that I get overwhelmed by this circumstance. I usually wait until an early access game gets fully release to decide whether I want to buy and play it.

For example, one of the oldest greenlight games that is still in early access state is Project Zomboid.

With the covid 19 world situation I might die before the game gets out of early access at this rate.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Re: controllers. Lack of analog triggers has been a bit of a problem on Switch Pro, the AB/XY mirroring is almost always an issue when it can’t be remapped, and the d-pad has been wildly inaccurate. All that on top of its frankly ridiculous pricing make it a non-starter for general purpose use, I think, unless you own a Switch too.

My XBO controller has served me very well, but its d-pad has been losing or doubling inputs for a while now. I'm holding out for a Series X/S controller. That d-pad looks like it has some potential if it doesn't break.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Heads up
Ya'all know that Intial D spoof game series
Densha D?
4 of the games are on sale over at DL-Site, and can be had for around $31 for 4 games, if you make a new account and make a first time purchase.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I wonder why Sony is paying for this. I doubt this pushes anyone towards Sony platforms that doesn't already have one.
I still don't think Sony will block a PC version - I reckon a lot of it is on Square's reluctant to release on PC more than anyone else. Could be similar to the Ubisoft PC version delay shenanigans.

Regardless, if Sony are paying to keep games off PC, and thinks PC gamers are going to suddenly break and buy a PS5 to play [insert game x here], they are sorely mistaken. Many PC gamers won't even install EGS, a free launcher, for exclusives - fat chance they plop $500 down on a console.

Plus I doubt Sony would be releasing games on PC if they thought the power of exclusives was enough to lure PC gamers to their platform - if you were a PC only player thinking of grabbing a PS5, the entire PS4 library, including all those exclusives, sure is attractive if there's no chance in hell of them coming to PC. To just port big hitters like Death Stranding, Horizon, probably Bloodborne, probably The Last of Us Part I & II, probably many more, seems insane if they are then paying money elsewhere to keep games off of PC for a mere 12 months.

Personally speaking, exclusives don't do it for me anymore. EGS has taught me a valuable lesson: it's fine to wait, and third party moneyhatted exclusivity is a shitty practice that I'm not going to reward any platform holder for doing. There's only one thing that would convince me on a PS5: if Sony puts backwards compatibility in from PS1-PS4, and also includes digital whitelisted PSP/Vita games, I'd be in. They should spend their money adding value to their platform, not taking value away from others.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

Blizniak

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2018
I played through

this weekend and I think it's pretty damn good. It's a short fps metroidvania where you try to piece together what happened to a crew that went through an alien portal. Took me somewhere around 1-2h to finish. It's not perfect by any means but definitely worth checking out at it's low price and some of you may even already own it from the huge Bundle for Racial Justice and Equality that was on itch.io.

Status
Not open for further replies.