Community MetaSteam | September 2020 - An Offer You Definitively Can't Refuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLetdown

A six-pack of letdown.
Oct 30, 2018
The hit RPG returns! From the minds of the bestselling author R.A. Salvatore, Spawn creator Todd McFarlane, and Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion lead designer Ken Rolston, comes Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning.
We really need a stylish documentary on this game. Because look at that! One of the premiere fantasy writers, a wildly innovative character designer, and a lead designer from a universally lauded same-genre game... yet the game still gets associated with the word "FAILURE" the most?

Reactions: ISee and lashman

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
What are the system reqs for CK3? Im might be able to install it at my university tommorrow, but if my laptop can't run it I won't bother.

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
What are the system reqs for CK3? Im might be able to install it at my university tommorrow, but if my laptop can't run it I won't bother.
I've got my 1080 gtx laptop out for repairs (sadface) so I'm running on my old-ass 860m backup (2014 release).

I thought it would be a slideshow on Low settings but turns out it runs just fine on High (30+ fps with just a hint of panning lag).

I've heard some say it runs better than CK2 because PDX completely rebuilt how the character pool is threaded.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I've got my 1080 gtx laptop out for repairs (sadface) so I'm running on my old-ass 860m backup (2014 release).

I thought it would be a slideshow on Low settings but turns out it runs just fine on High (30+ fps with just a hint of panning lag).
How big (gb) is it?

Snakethesniper

Time Traveler
Jan 11, 2019
CK3 is blowing my gd mind.

Easily the best PDX launch to date.

Looking forward to another 8 years of having it perma-installed on whatever hardware I'm rocking.
In the end I've bought it and started the tutorial, I really like how polished it looks in comparison with CK2.
Also I thought this was a good chance to start over with everybody else so when expansions come I can understand organically what's new instead of having 8 years of stuff throwed at me

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Yes, they opened a site to be notified when it will be up for preorder.

E: But you need to give your PSN ID, so they can choose, which of their "hardcore fans" will be allowed to preorder it.

Am I the only one to think that is an idiotic strategy if you are supply constrained?
Depending on your hard-core fans may be a nice touch for giving loyalty rewards but it makes mainstream buyers feel like second class and has a bad taste of elitism. It is also stupid in a business sense. While your most loyal fans would wait for months to buy your new console, a mainstream gamer might just give up on it for a year or abandon it completely, especially when they think they are customer second class. So when a mainstream customer couldn't buy a console on launch, they normally would think it was bad luck or they weren't fast enough, they could still be a customer who wants to buy the product when it is available. But when they think they only failed because they are not important enough, they will become a non-customer very fast. (Even if the pre-order is only through Sony's website and normal retail also sells a few consoles, they will still think it is because they are customer 2nd class)

That's why companies don't give (massive) goodies to loyal customers, they do it for customers who either cancel the product/subscription, were a customer several years ago, or were never a customer.

Reactions: Rogue Agent
Dec 5, 2018
Am I the only one to think that is an idiotic strategy if you are supply constrained?
Depending on your hard-core fans may be a nice touch for giving loyalty rewards but it makes mainstream buyers feel like second class and has a bad taste of elitism. It is also stupid in a business sense. While your most loyal fans would wait for months to buy your new console, a mainstream gamer might just give up on it for a year or abandon it completely, especially when they think they are customer second class. So when a mainstream customer couldn't buy a console on launch, they normally would think it was bad luck or they weren't fast enough, they could still be a customer who wants to buy the product when it is available. But when they think they only failed because they are not important enough, they will become a non-customer very fast. (Even if the pre-order is only through Sony's website and normal retail also sells a few consoles, they will still think it is because they are customer 2nd class)

That's why companies don't give (massive) goodies to loyal customers, they do it for customers who either cancel the product/subscription, were a customer several years ago, or were never a customer.
Maybe, maybe not depends how they handle it.

But the thing is that with games your options are limited, You either buy a PS5 or XSX.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Maybe, maybe not depends how they handle it.

But the thing is that with games your options are limited, You either buy a PS5 or XSX.
Or you don't buy anything (not like there is a pandemic and recession going on). or a switch, or a PC. Or you just continue to play your GaaS on your old system
You are not a hardcore console gamer, you are (in sony's eyes) not good enough for the console.

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
or just buy one at amazon or walmart like everyone else. i feel like there will be no lack of ps5s but maybe i'm wrong.

but ms seems to be going the opposite way of sony with putting their payment plan program in more stores and countries to get as many people a console as they can even if they don't have $400-600 up front.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018

Don't worry all the hardware will go to influencers, not hard-core fans nor loyalists. They know the hardcore Sony fanboy who bought 10,000 PSN games last year is already a mindless slave of their corporation, so they can treat them like dirt.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
No 64-bit still? Did they even patch the executable with LAA or do you still need to use an external tool?
It certainly doesn't mention that, so my guess is you still need to do it via the external tool. I know doing this helped a good deal with being able to get the game running at 120fps for me with Special-K.

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019
First I want to say, amazing job lashman! Always look forward to seeing the OP's you put together! :cat-heart-blob:

I really appreciate everybody's input here, but at the same time this is not the place for 'Li Kao's wild ideas to make a living'. Some parts of it could surely go to the mental health tread, some in a thread of their own I guess, but here it's pretty OT.

Just know, for those that don't already, that I am...
  • 40 years old
  • have no high degrees and only 'theoretical' education
  • suffer from severe social anxiety, which pretty much destroyed my life until now
For now and barring any miracle idea or opportunity... I don't want to disrespect anyone so take it for what it is, just a manner of speaking : I'm the most lucid lamb on its way to the butcher. I can savor every miserable minute of it, with the full understanding that things are gonna get worse.

Now carry on, sorry for this derail (it was interesting though ! :cat-heart-blob:)
I think you're selling yourself short. The Li Kao I know is a fiery and passionate person. I understand that the world might not get to see that version very often due to the battle with anxiety but he's in there.

And degrees mean little. I won't deny it's something that I struggled with for years as well and it hurt my self esteem, it never fully recovered either. But the thing I've realized is that it doesn't make me stupid or lesser by not having one. Folks are often surprised when I tell them I never finished college and only have a high school diploma.

You're far more intelligent than you give yourself credit for but even if you still don't believe that then I can at least say it's not the end of the world. If someone is going to look down on or poke fun at you for not having a degree then they aren't worth your time or friendship.

I can't offer much advice when it comes to finding employment but don't give up hope. Even if it's a simpler job to start, at least it's a start. Once you get used to the day to day it will become easier and eventually you'll find more and more doors opening for you.

You're a stronger person than you think and things will work out. I know it. :blobhug:

Got to go to the vet for an emergency with my cat and spent all the fucking morning trying to reach a handful of vets who wouldn't even bother replying to a text or taking a fucking call. Managed to find one and I'm on my way there. Life fucking sucks.

(I know this is the Steam thread but I needed to vent, sorry)
I was in your shoes not long ago and the not knowing is the worst part. :disappointed-face:

I'll be hoping for the best for your cat and that a positive outcome comes quickly.

And I will say that through all of our chats that there's one thing I'm certain of, your cat has the best person in her corner. I know you'll move Heaven and Hell to get the best care for her. You two are a great pair.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
You have to audition to be allowed to give Sony money?
Now I have seen everything.
Audition?

Also I just realized that the RTX 3080 needs 750 watts.... Welp I have a 650 watt gold supply.

It looks like 650 watts will be enough for the RTX 3070 though. Ehhhhh will the new Ryzen CPUs need even more watts? Since I play to get the 7 series of the 4xxx line up.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
You can register to be notified for pre order, but they will choose people based on "activity and time spend on playstation systems".
In other words: You may only pre order a PS5 through Sony if you are loyal, have PS+ and buy a lot of games.
To be fair I'm going to assume it's so that "real fans" get one on release date and not scalpers or something, since you typically hear that a lot about how companies don't care about the fan base and stuff like that.

A recent example of this is the Lego Star Wars Bespin set, some of the reviews pretty much say just that.

Reactions: xinek

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Maybe a part of it.
But it is also a great opportunity to maximize winnings with a product that's limited in quantity.
In the end what's the difference if you can't get a PS5 at MSRP because of scalpers or because Sony doesn't think you are loyal enough to buy one.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
I wouldn't count on that. This is D:OS2.

On another note, EA prices their games higher in PLN than in Euro, making Polish Złoty the 6th most expensive currency to buy their games with.
What's that, Original Sin 2?

Oh right, Wasteland 3 is cheaper than that despite being $60 somehow. Meh, I guess I'll wait until the full version if it's anything like that.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Another game to add to the September release schedule:

I've been testing this one for uh... year(s)? now since it was in the super early alpha stage and I'll say it's pretty great! Music pretty awesome
Hooray. Really looking forward to Art of Rally. I loved Absolute Drift (which is on sale and everyone should buy it)

Reactions: Madventure

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland
What's that, Original Sin 2?

Oh right, Wasteland 3 is cheaper than that despite being $60 somehow. Meh, I guess I'll wait until the full version if it's anything like that.
I mean, I kinda expected the $60 tag on BG3, but was hoping for something cheaper since they already announced earlier that there won't be any keys sold by third-party sellers, and that means shitty Valve suggested price that is higher for Poland than what I pay for most games from official resellers or CDKeys. It's something I always wondered about - how come even local, Polish (IP locked to Poland) key sellers sell the games at higher price than Western resellers like GMG, 2games, etc. You'd think they'd have better pricing for their poorer, local market, but no, it's much worse outside of some discounts for older games which can be very good. How do they even stay in business? Must be people who don't know English and are scared to buy from international sites who keep them afloat.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Polish (IP locked to Poland) key sellers sell the games at higher price than Western resellers like GMG, 2games, etc. You'd think they'd have better pricing for their poorer, local market, but no, it's much worse outside of some discounts for older games which can be very good. How do they even stay in business? Must be people who don't know English and are scared to buy from international sites who keep them afloat.
Could it be a lack of competition? It reminds how GPUs are super expensive in some countries where there aren't many companies importing and selling them. Like that that tweet how insanely expensive the new RTX cards are in Japan.
I assume they are still cheaper than Steam, though, who would want to use a reseller otherwise?

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland
Could it be a lack of competition? It reminds how GPUs are super expensive in some countries where there aren't many companies importing and selling them. Like that that tweet how insanely expensive the new RTX cards are in Japan.
I assume they are still cheaper than Steam, though, who would want to use a reseller otherwise?
There are a lot of key resellers in Poland, so that can't be it. Plus, it makes sense for physical good prices to be influenced by lack of competition, but with digital things like games, you're competing with the whole world, not just local sellers.

In general, all the Western key resellers have constant deals like -20% off for pre-order, then some vouchers that bring down another 15% - stuff like that. Meanwhile, that literally never, ever happens with Polish resellers. No vouchers, standard full price, and that's it. I don't see what's even the point of region locking the stores, since everything is more expensive than you can find at global sites. It made sense like 10 years ago when games still had fair regional pricing and were even 50% cheaper than in the West, but that hasn't been the case for quite a while.

• Sad
Reactions: Pommes and lashman

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
Just like Wasteland 3, it's a fair and natural increase judging by the previous games.

Here's hoping for a good regional pricing. I might actually buy it on EA if it matches Wasteland 3 price.
I don't think it's that bad news to be honest. I expected an increase of price and 60$ seemed the most natural price as texhnlyze said.
If they can manage to adjust Valve suggested regional pricing then I will say its a fair price at the end of the early access period.

I'm not going to purchase it because they clearly explained it will be just 25h story gameplay at first and it might take a year before it gets finished.

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
Among Us

Red - Twitch viewers.
Blue - Players

Reason: the power of streamers/influencers
Reactions: PC-tan

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland
got CK3 as a gift so yay, I'll play it when I'm done with TMS #FE and I'll feel a bit better
Bought it yesterday myself but it was too late to do anything of substance before going to sleep. Hopefully I'll have more time today. From what I've seen the game runs much smoother than CK2 did.

Reactions: lashman

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Not sure whats wrong, but I have zero hype for BG 3 and I have no idea why.
Neither do I. I am more hyped for that other D&D game that actually seems to stick more closely to the rules and feeling than it. BG3 feels like it has Larian's slightly gross, dark brand of humor all of over and it's what turned me off D:OS2. BG3 feels, to me, like a rebranded D:OS3. From the art direction to the couple reused assets I've spotted, I'm not feeling it in the slightest.

I do like Larian but they feel like with this game they are getting formulaic. I don't like that feeling and hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: Tomasety

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland
Neither do I. I am more hyped for that other D&D game that actually seems to stick more closely to the rules and feeling than it. BG3 feels like it has Larian's slightly gross, dark brand of humor all of over and it's what turned me off D:OS2. BG3 feels, to me, like a rebranded D:OS3. From the art direction to the couple reused assets I've spotted, I'm not feeling it in the slightest.

I do like Larian but they feel like with this game they are getting formulaic. I don't like that feeling and hope I'm wrong.
There are only two D&D games in production: BG3 and Dark Alliance, and the latter is an action game. You're either thinking about P:WotR which is Pathfinder and not D&D or Realms Beyond which uses WotC's OGL rules.

EDIT: Should've clarified: there are only two D&D games in production that were already revealed (there are actually many more according to WotC).

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com

Yeah maybe that's what I'm worried about, I like the D:OS games but they are so fresh in memory that I'm not yet hungry for another one.

Maybe thats also why I havent really been keeping up with the development of BG3 so I really dont know much about it and thus just don't know what I'm missing out on.

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland
Yeah maybe that's what I'm worried about, I like the D:OS games but they are so fresh in memory that I'm not yet hungry for another one.

Maybe thats also why I havent really been keeping up with the development of BG3 so I really dont know much about it and thus just don't know what I'm missing out on.
Well, if you or anyone else wants to become up to date with BG3, here are some resources that will generally give you most of the information that's been revealed so far:

Pathfinder is based on the D&D rules set, so calling it a D&D game is fair enough imo.
Sounds like a stretch to me. You can use cRPG if you want a more general/broad description. D&D is D&D and Pathfinder is Pathfinder.

Status
Not open for further replies.