Community MetaSteam | September 2020 - An Offer You Definitively Can't Refuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Awesome.

Missed opportunity to name the dev capcpom or something. Edit: aw, removed already, it was a BIOHAZARD VILLAGE shovelware thingie with the VIII and all.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
Can't wait to see the price of the 3XXX series here in TW when everything (electronics/pc parts/etc) is already inflated - even if its made nearby.

BoosterDuck

Goon Squad
Sep 20, 2018
Windows 20H2 and Android 11 possibly releasing in the same month?! What a time to be alive ( •̀ ω •́ )✧

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Hard disagree on this hot take.
Nvidia was pushing hard for what become the dominant new technology, and we will see ray tracing used much more commonly once new consoles are out. The very reason that the second gen RTX cards are so relatively cheap and so good in terms of performance was because the first RTX generation allowed Nvidia to understand the technology and then after some experience built a new architecture around it.
I appreciate them pushing tech but 80% of the things they've done over the past 2 years were really unnecessary.

They cluttered the market full of cards that are about to become obsolete by a 300$ card (3060) when it releases early next year. They didn't need to do 1660 cards. They didn't need to do Super cards. They should have kept Ray tracing and DLSS exclusive to the 2080 cards while pushing 2060/2070 harder at a reduced cost imo. The fact that the 1060 is still the most popular card in steam hardware survey says it all really.

There wasn't anywhere near enough RT and DLSS compatible games over the past years to justify all the $$$ the 20xx cards cost. And it remains to be seen just how many games will be doing this stuff over the next however many years as well. But at least now the 30xx cards provide bang for buck to actually get into serious 4k gaming. Now we just need to see those 4k 144hz monitors being mass produced and start becoming affordable :cool:

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I was literally thinking about this just 5 min ago. Maybe in September/October?

Also I ended up buying the Nier and Emil Bring Arts figure it cost me a grand total of $100USD, not bad seeing how the SE store was selling them for $150USD MSRP and even though they are in sale that would be $120USD + Tax + shipping.

No I need to buy the weapon back and get the beastlord (oh Papa Nier and Yonah I guess neither of them will be getting Bring Arts figures sadly.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018

Persona 4 Golden, Version 1.1
We have rolled our beta patches over to the Main Branch.
Hello Persona 4 Golden players! This release is Persona 4 Golden, version 1.1.

Thank you for reporting issues and participating in our Beta releases! Your feedback and involvement are crucial. We have rolled our beta patches over to the Main Branch. This release contains previous gameplay and stability issues addressed with Hot Fix 1 to Hot Fix 3. Here is a comprehensive list of fixes made:

• Fixes to video quizzes
• Fixes to cutscene playback, including a lower playback mode for smoother play on older machines.
• Soft locks occurring around Personamations
• Random crashes reported
• Crashes related to removing Xbox One controllers
• A hang issue that occurs during Midnight Trivia Quiz
• Blank items in inventory causing crashes and freezes.
• Please note that if you are experiencing this issue, your old saves will retain the blank item, so it is suggested that you generate new saves and avoid old saves with blank items.
• An audio issue related the audio setting during Yosuke's Calvary Attack.
• A progression issue that occurs when entering Yukiko's castle.
• Addresses a known issue where Quest 3 could not be completed by some players.
• Optimized cutscene movies for better playback that was causing stuttering.
• When using high resolution monitors, resolved an issue where the Windows 10 resolution scaling was being applied.
• Fixed a freeze issue when equipping a blank item in “Equip > Clothes”.
• If you have a blank item in the Clothes menu, please be sure to remove it as these blank items can be still in your currently saved game data. Equipping blank items can trigger various freeze issues in other locations.
• Resolved a soft lock that could occur after an All-Out-Attack.

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland

Thank you for reporting issues and participating in our Beta releases! Your feedback and involvement are crucial. We have rolled our beta patches over to the Main Branch. This release contains previous gameplay and stability issues addressed with Hot Fix 1 to Hot Fix 3. Here is a comprehensive list of fixes made:

• Fixes to video quizzes
• Fixes to cutscene playback, including a lower playback mode for smoother play on older machines.
• Please note that if you are experiencing this issue, your old saves will retain the blank item, so it is suggested that you generate new saves and avoid old saves with blank items.
• When using high resolution monitors, resolved an issue where the Windows 10 resolution scaling was being applied.
• If you have a blank item in the Clothes menu, please be sure to remove it as these blank items can be still in your currently saved game data. Equipping blank items can trigger various freeze issues in other locations.
No 64-bit still? Did they even patch the executable with LAA or do you still need to use an external tool?

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
There wasn't anywhere near enough RT and DLSS compatible games over the past years to justify all the $$$ the 20xx cards cost
The good old question, what was first: Hen or Egg?
I do not think anybody expected a landfill of RTX games during Turing, but I'm not sure why Nvidia did something wrong by going for new technology.
The thing they can be accused of is not bringing RTX and DLSS into every GPU tier, and certainly not for releasing too many RTX cards.
Excluding xx70, and xx60 series from RTX and DLSS would have made the potential user base to low and the tech would have been at risk to die off completely.

So no, I don't think what they did in the last two year was unnecessary. You have to start somewhere and I'd say that RTX 2000 had a big impact on the industry. PS5 and XSX were forced to adopt the tech, in some kind of form. Such a reactionary action means that an impact was made.

Personally I had great 1.8 years with my 2080Ti. It may now be even slightly outperformed by a 3070, but that doesn't make it run games worse currently. So While I will upgrade in the near future (3-4 months) I do not feel any kind of pressure to do so. Though I'm at 1440p. so that's making it easier for me.

In all honesty, I'm more disappointed with AMD. Not only are they still chasing GTX 1080Ti performance from 4.5 years ago, but their feature set is also leagues behind. If Nvidia dropped the ball with Turing, than AMD dropped the entire Table with RDNA.

I guess the difference why AMD is rocking the CPU market and not the GPU market is because Nvidia didn't lay back and relaxed once they conquered the top. In contrast to Intel, Nvidia kept on pushing and went for technology that everybody thought was still 10+ years away, while easily holding the performance corwn. That's not a bad thing.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
It still feels so unreal looking at a Persona game page on Steam. :blobyesanime:
Hahaha seriously. I managed to put like 40h in it before Death Stranding came out but I haven't touched it since and, I think because of the way it was announced and released simultaneously, I sometimes forget it even came out. So I'll get a notification when someone launches it and go "Wait, WHAT? Oh... right."

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
I really like Raytracing in my limited experience with it, but it is a serious compromise with higher resolutions (1440p monitor or 4k TV for example) with the 2xxx cards. I probably won't bother fighting for the first wave of the 3xxx cards, and I also want to see real world results (and maybe what the 3090 looks like) but it'll probably be the shortest timeframe of a card upgrade for me ever (2 years and change), and it'll probably be worth it too.

Dec 5, 2018
If I hadn't upgraded my monitor (1080p60 to 1440p144) earlier this year, I doubt I'd be interested in upgrading and I could keep my 1070 for another year or so, but 4 years is still a good run.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
I think I will settle for a GTX 1650 vanilla or super. In terms of wattage, it is similar to the one I previously had.
And their require either no supplementary power connector or a 6-pin one, which is also a good thing considering my motherboard.

I will probably use evil Jeff's service, so that I can send the GPU back in case of issue.
Edit: I need to find a good price though. I have seen some vanilla versions for 150-160€, but they are now out of stock.

Last edited:

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018

• Fixes to video quizzes
4.1 Gbs update, in case anyone wants to know.

Also glad to see they are also patching their games, good support so far. :cat-heart-blob:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Probably separate video scenes for that low quality setting, wish it was optional if that's the case, specially with SSDs you don't wanna waste GB for duplicates.

Reactions: Durante

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
All these posts about ridiculous pricing in some countries make me wonder.
If I was a more business minded and brave (or stupid ?), I could see myself offering those cards for a cheaper cut.
But thinking about the mess it would be with defects is enough to make me sweat bullets.

Still, there must be something here.

Reactions: Swenhir

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
If I was a more business minded and brave (or stupid ?), I could see myself offering those cards for a cheaper cut.
But thinking about the mess it would be with defects is enough to make me sweat bullets.

For countries without any official Nvidia presence, like mine, we are under importer's mercy. They decide the price, not Nvidia. I've heard that the importer here will price 3070 at 2080 super price here when the time comes.

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland

Larger markets probably have multiple distributors importing from the source, so they buy the cheapest and already compete on the first distribution level. Meanwhile, smaller markets have monopoly at every distribution level and each one adds a margin. When you arrive at the store, the price has been already inflated by every intermediary, and then the store needs to add their own margin too.

Reactions: Tomasety and Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Yeah, I'm sure this is super stupid. I'm not business savvy here. I was just thinking, if I can get a card for 700 euros, could I sell it for 900 euros to another country and make a small business out of it ? The 900 euros is just a guess, I mean you have to take a good carrier with tracking into account, and a cut for me.
I'm not a profiteer, could be 800-850, don't know.

So this is stupid ?
I just don't want to die alone and jobless, I need to find someway out of the hole I'm in.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Yeah, I'm sure this is super stupid. I'm not business savvy here. I was just thinking, if I can get a card for 700 euros, could I sell it for 900 euros to another country and make a small business out of it ? The 900 euros is just a guess, I mean you have to take a good carrier with tracking into account, and a cut for me.

So this is stupid ?
I just don't want to die alone and jobless, I need to find someway out of the hole I'm in.
I mean sure, but sending a small, practically weightless cooler cost me about 10€. From Germany to France.
Factoring in taxes, shipping, refunds, scams, payment processing. I think a 100€ margin is very small, if you plan to send it across the world.

Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I mean sure, but sending a small, practically weightless cooler cost me about 10€. From Germany to France.
Factoring in taxes, shipping, refunds, scams, payment processing. I think a 100€ margin is very small, if you plan to send it across the world.
Yeah, you are telling me that for all the shit the local prices get, there is a reason for them and you can't easily go cheaper ?
That's... the expected outcome :confounded-face:

I need to find something, anything.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Do not try to make a profit with goods which require 500€-1000€ investment, in a process with high-risk low-reward, unless your bank account overflows.
An element which would make the situation worse would be to borrow money to invest in this kind of business.
Only do it with money which you own and which you are okay to lose (in the event of a scam, etc.).

Reactions: Cacher and Li Kao

Echoes

"My destiny is to continue fighting"
Oct 31, 2018
Castelló, Spain

So this is stupid ?
I hope you were joking about this, you should look for help this can't be the only available option you have to improve your situation...:anguished-face:

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Yeah, you are telling me that for all the shit the local prices get, there is a reason for them and you can't easily go cheaper ?
I'm not saying that.
Big dealers can order in bulk, ship in bulk, can negotiate better payment processing fees etc. But that needs personal, distribution centers, in advance cash flow.

You and me, we can't do that.

For certain operations you need money, to make money. That said, certain price increases due to infrastructure circumstances are unavoidable.
I remember when Poland became a democracy (seems so far away now), I was shocked that hardware prices were more expansive there than in germany. Till I learned that poland had no distribution centers and that every single Item had to be moved by truck from Germany and the Netherlands.
Retailers in Poland literally paid what retailers in Germany and the Netherlands paid (in bulk) and than had to move everything by slow and expansive trucks (talking about pc hardware).

Than there is the risk of an unstable currency, if you wish to ship world wide etc.

I'm not saying your idea is futile either. Just that you need to think and calculate everything before jumping in. 150€ margin seems great, but you need to figure out how much will be left at the end.
Also is it something that can improve your situation permanently? I understand the wish to open your own business, but selling Ampere GPUs sounds like a short term solution.

Reactions: Li Kao and Echoes

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
If you want to make a bit of profit, I would suggest looking for local opportunities rather than go the route of shipping expensive stuff globally.

Sure, it is easier said than done, but this should decrease the risks and issues.

• Eyes
Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I really appreciate everybody's input here, but at the same time this is not the place for 'Li Kao's wild ideas to make a living'. Some parts of it could surely go to the mental health tread, some in a thread of their own I guess, but here it's pretty OT.

Just know, for those that don't already, that I am...
  • 40 years old
  • have no high degrees and only 'theoretical' education
  • suffer from severe social anxiety, which pretty much destroyed my life until now
For now and barring any miracle idea or opportunity... I don't want to disrespect anyone so take it for what it is, just a manner of speaking : I'm the most lucid lamb on its way to the butcher. I can savor every miserable minute of it, with the full understanding that things are gonna get worse.

Now carry on, sorry for this derail (it was interesting though ! :cat-heart-blob:)

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Li Kao

I made a thread just yesterday about way to earn some extra cash! Come in there and brainstorm with us!:D

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I really appreciate everybody's input here, but at the same time this is not the place for 'Li Kao's wild ideas to make a living'. Some parts of it could surely go to the mental health tread, some in a thread of their own I guess, but here it's pretty OT.

Just know, for those that don't already, that I am...
  • 40 years old
  • have no high degrees and only 'theoretical' education
  • suffer from severe social anxiety, which pretty much destroyed my life until now
For now and barring any miracle idea or opportunity... I don't want to disrespect anyone so take it for what it is, just a manner of speaking : I'm the most lucid lamb on its way to the butcher. I can savor every miserable minute of it, with the full understanding that things are gonna get worse.

Now carry on, sorry for this derail (it was interesting though ! :cat-heart-blob:)
If you are still suffering from the mental health issues, at least I can recommend a few books if you feel they are applicable to you. Time is long and I suspect that you are really going through a bad beat, but you aren't necessarily doomed. You never know. Don't give up :).

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Got to go to the vet for an emergency with my cat and spent all the fucking morning trying to reach a handful of vets who wouldn't even bother replying to a text or taking a fucking call. Managed to find one and I'm on my way there. Life fucking sucks.

(I know this is the Steam thread but I needed to vent, sorry)

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Got to go to the vet for an emergency with my cat and spent all the fucking morning trying to reach a handful of vets who wouldn't even bother replying to a text or taking a fucking call. Managed to find one and I'm on my way there. Life fucking sucks.

(I know this is the Steam thread but I needed to vent, sorry)
Hope everything ends up fine, sir, huge hugs :cat-heart-blob:

Status
Not open for further replies.