Community MetaSteam | September 2020 - An Offer You Definitively Can't Refuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
It still boggles my mind that Shadow are still the only ones to offer that at this time.
I have very slight hopes Nvidia will offer that feature at one point in the future, as they do not directly make money from sales on their streaming platform.
But the problem with giving people full access to a VM is that usage hours would go up significantly too. Would mean you'd have to have more blades, more traffic etc.

Other than that I'm still confused why anybody wants to use stadia or that amazon thing when GeForceNow is an option. A service that allows you to use and build your steam library. Once they upgrade it to Ampere (maybe Q4 2021?) 4k streaming could become a possibility.

But I'm not judging.

Last edited:

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
What's the instance it runs on? Rack of unsold Kindle Fires?
I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you.
(I mean, in truth it's very unsurprising when you look at the selection of available instances with GPUs that are decent for modern gaming, and people will probably quickly figure it out once it's up and running; but I still can't tell you)

edit: actually, as far as I can see exactly one instance type lists "game streaming in the cloud." in its official description as a use case. Not that I'm saying anything.

• Love
Reactions: Swenhir and Knurek

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Hmm, Serious Sam 4 user reviews are sitting at mixed right now? Chief complaint is performance from looks of it?

Reactions: ISee

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Hmm, Serious Sam 4 user reviews are sitting at mixed right now? Chief complaint is performance from looks of it?
Some people are complaining about bad performance, bugs, crashes and reused assets from the talos principle.
Which is fair.

Other people are complaining because it's boring. Which is also fair, but a Serious Sam trope.

:toucan:

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I have very slight hopes Nvidia will offer that feature at one point in the future, as they do not directly make money from sales on their streaming platform.
But the problem with giving people full access to a VM is that usage hours would go up significantly too. Would mean you'd have to have more blades, more traffic etc.

Other than that I'm still confused why anybody wants to use stadia or that amazon thing when GeForceNow is an option. A service that allows you to use and build your steam library. Once they upgrade it to Ampere (maybe Q4 2021?) 4k streaming could become a possibility.

But I'm not judging.
That's really the big gap in virtualization/cloud offerings to me. Many are happy to spin up instances to let you play one game, but letting you hands on and giving you a proper virtual machine to work, browse and do everything you'd do on a desktop? At affordable prices? Shadow's the only one so far.

And GeForce Now is a big one. If you ask me, 4:4:4 is the next big step in quality that can be taken and Shadow is getting closer there, while arguably already having better latency/performance than Parsec. Not by more than 5ms on my machine, but I can feel it.

Reactions: Li Kao and ISee

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Wait, Serious Sam is a boring game?

Jokes aside, I think plenty of people have rose tinted glass of that series from when they were kids (I found it to be boring even then but still).

That they were recycling assets from Talos was far from a secret, wasn’t it?

Reactions: Nabs and lashman

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
not everyone has a steam library is one big reason. if you can just pay a flat fee and get games streamed to you, that's a lot easier. or if it comes included with your game pass ultimate, which is another option via xcloud.

stadia makes less sense to me than those options cause you have to pay for the service and also pay for the games iirc. one flat fee seems much easier for someone to drop cash on and compare it to netflix/hulu.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
At affordable prices? Shadow's the only one so far.
I guess it comes down to the other streaming services reminding me too much of a closed of console experience, while GeForce Now is more of an additional side service.
But should I ever go full VM, I'd definitely jump into Shadow (or soemthing similar) than rely on Google or Amazon. I want some kind of control over the hardware that I'm renting and be it only to install mods, be able to decide from which store I buy or use cheat engine (in SP games of course!).
As said: Stadia and co. are supposed to give you console like gaming, and I'm not interested in that as my main platform.

I think there is a market for shadow, just like there is a market for PC gaming next to consoles.

Reactions: Swenhir

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
sounds like shadow is a simple way to rent a full vm if someone wanted to rent a full vm lol

Reactions: lashman

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Wait, Serious Sam is a boring game?

Jokes aside, I think plenty of people have rose tinted glass of that series from when they were kids (I found it to be boring even then but still).

That they were recycling assets from Talos was far from a secret, wasn’t it?
Only Serious Sam game I've played is SS3, which I fairly enjoyed.

Held off on this one only because I thought the price was a tad too high, but that may have been wise anyway then

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I guess it comes down to the other streaming services reminding me too much of a closed of console experience, while GeForce Now is more of an additional side service.
But should I ever go full VM, I'd definitely jump into Shadow (or soemthing similar) than rely on Google or Amazon. I want some kind of control over the hardware that I'm renting and be it only to install mods, be able to decide from which store I buy or use cheat engine (in SP games of course!).
As said: Stadia and co. are supposed to give you console like gaming, and I'm not interested in that as my main platform.

I think there is a market for shadow, just like there is a market for PC gaming next to consoles.
The big thing that worries me about Shadow is that I understand they are operating at a loss, have just gone for their 3rd CEO in 2 years and I am afraid that there might be no affordable option for someone wanting a proper VM with decent underlying hardware in the future.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
After the Amazon controller was shown:

Microsoft and Nintendo Fanatics battling on the streets for the dubious honor which controller Amazon has shamelessly copied. Switch or Series X/S

• Toucan
Reactions: C-Dub and warp_

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
The big thing that worries me about Shadow is that I understand they are operating at a loss, have just gone for their 3rd CEO in 2 years and I am afraid that there might be no affordable option for someone wanting a proper VM with decent underlying hardware in the future.

This industry is strange. You can have the right idea for a product, but you can be too innovative and come too early to the market. Like Palm Handhelds or Microsofts first "smart"watch.
To make things even worse, they are sitting on hardware that is starting to look outdated. It's a hard position they are in.

Reactions: LEANIJA and Swenhir

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
This industry is strange. You can have the right idea for a product, but you can be too innovative and come too early to the market. Like Palm Handhelds or Microsofts first "smart"watch.
To make things even worse, they are sitting on hardware that is starting to look outdated. It's a hard position they are in.
Yeah, for all the crap I give them for their communication and breaking the Windows 7 client, they are the only one in that market at that price.

But hey, with Jean-Baptiste Kempf working on the Linux client, at least the excuse that "only X% of the market use this OS!" won't ever fly against 7 again :p.

Reactions: ISee

Deleted member 113

I was looking forward to the announcement of a new INTI CREATES title that was supposed to happen in the next couple of days, but it seems the title in question was leaked a few days ago, and it will be something called GAL*GUN Returns.
Disappointing, since it's easily their franchise I care less about, since it's not really the type of game they excel in. :confounded-face:

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I've been playing Shadow Tactics for the past few days. It's a lot of fun. Not killing anybody except the targets is kind of difficult, but quite satisfying to pull off. The Japanese voiceovers sound kind of stilted, though. I might give Commandos or Desperados a go once I'm done with this.

Deleted member 113

35GB for me
Yeah, it's been updated a couple of minutes ago.

If you check the Steam forums, people were going bananas because they were only getting the Windows distributables (which was the 700MB I was seeing when trying to download it), not any actual game files. :)

Reactions: lashman
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Yeah, it's been updated a couple of minutes ago.

If you check the Steam forums, people were going bananas because they were only getting the Windows distributables (which was the 700MB I was seeing when trying to download it), not any actual game files. :)
ahh, gotcha ... glad they fixed it then :) not that i'll be able to play it right now anyway ... i'll play it when i get up

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Deleted member 113

If anyone plays Mafia: Deluxe Edition today, can you please let me know a couple of bits of info:

-when I first entered the game, for some reason I got a message saying it was unable to connect to my 2K account; on further times I entered the game, I didn't get any message. Is there any place where I can link the game to my 2K account (which is necessary to unlock the Black Cats Motorcycle Pack)? I'm not finding any option (previous games had a section to fill in your log-in data). Also, did anyone get a message saying this content was unlocked in the game (I believe previous games did, at least Mafia 3)?

-also, for some reason when I click "options" in the launcher, it crashes the game; is there any option in this section of the launcher that isn't available in-game, or can I just ignore it?

Last edited by a moderator:

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
People are surprised that Microsoft showcased Minecraft (RTX).

Are these people really out of touch from real world that they don't know how popular Minecraft is?
Was that what chat was saying?
That 4Chan rumor that MS is trying to buy Valve is hilarious. I mean, I don't think MS is even trying to buy Valve. Valve is private and self-funded so noone other than some people at Valve knows how much they are valued, but it's definetly far more than Zenimax. Steam has a massive global audience reach, also in markets where console gaming is declining while PC gaming and mobile is growing like China and Japan.
I mean if they did that in of itself would be a huge "bargaining chip" since this means that devs would get access to China (that outside of Hong Kong) not even Nintendo or Sony are able to get a hold of. That whole Steam China was something that some indie game seemed to like since it would give them access to that. Where as with Nintendo even with Tencents help is only able to release a number of games and stuff like that.
I got the Nier PC CE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was worried that I would have to double dip.

Last edited:

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I got the Nier PC CE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was worried that I would have to double dip.
whats the joke? lack of snow?
Here comes a new waifu.

I think it was very short lived but I remember when some people drew PS5 and PS5 DE waifus (there were even cosplays). I guess other stuff came up and people moved on.

Sony got some Vtubers to promote the PS5, MS should do the same thing and even if they don't promote the XSX itself they could always at least promote Gamepass and well Minecraft since a lot of them play that to begin with.

double post

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.