Community MetaSteam September 2022 | You were expecting Kingdom Hearts, but it’s me Dio(field)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever

What the actual fuck
Literally my exact reaction. Every Nvidia card I ever owned is an EVGA. Never had one die and they have the best warranty/customer support in the business. Also every single EVGA card I had was an absolute beast at overclocking, and their coolers were OP. This is such a huge loss....

... I hope my current 3070ti stays healthy I guess. 😓

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
And do some reporting for MetaCouncil, right? First hand impressions and such.
Sure. Sadly I am not going. The ticket must be purchased online and it was too troublesome and privacy-invading. Japan has all these sites and membership cards where you can sign up for, but I refuse to sign them up because I hate giving so much information to big corporations.

23 (or 22?) games installed on the Deck at the booth

Last edited:

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Sure. Sadly I am not going. The ticket must be purchased online and it was too troublesome and privacy-invading. Japan has all these sites and membership cards where you can sign up for, but I refuse to sign them up because I hate giving so much information to big corporations.

23 (or 22?) games installed on the Deck at the booth
I hope Lawrence and crew are ready for the huge wave of people.

By the way you would not be the first person trying to "boast" it seems that others have also thought the same thing about showing off.

Seeing how big the line will likely end up being I think only a fraction of the people there will want to wait in a very long line to play it.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I hope Lawrence and crew are ready for the huge wave of people.

By the way you would not be the first person trying to "boast" it seems that others have also thought the same thing about showing off.

Seeing how big the line will likely end up being I think only a fraction of the people there will want to wait in a very long line to play it.
Haha I was just joking. It's been 3 years since the last real TGS so many people are going. And the line...!

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
One part of the Steam Deck that's I'm still confused about is the Desktop mode set up that they have at TGS.

It is there and they even have it set up for display, how ever I don't think it's been used yet. I'm guessing it's just a display only thing and not meant to be touched? They even have it roped off from visitors.

That's clearly not where they do the live streams from because it would be too loud and you would have all of the people in the background. Even during press day I don't think any one posted pictures of it.
------

Update the Meta queue is still at over 200 min, meanwhile the Steam Deck on is only at 80 minutes from the looks of it and it is also able to communicate a lot more people.

The RPS article is very interesting because they talk about the booth. I have only been to 1 game event in my lifetime and that was at PSX (PlayStation Experience 2017, which was when they had all of their heavy hitter on display) and I have to agree with the article about waiting in line and stuff, but with PSX it was different since you didn't have to deal with lines for the Sony first part games, the downside was that you had to use an app to reserve a time to play those demos.

Meanwhile you have 130 people at one time and not only that they all have a place to sit which is very very uncommon at game shows in general

Last edited:

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
(wait times on business day were about 40 minutes, it's only the beginning of Public day and the wait has now shot up to 100 minutes. Soon it may end up reaching 2 hours

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Literally my exact reaction. Every Nvidia card I ever owned is an EVGA. Never had one die and they have the best warranty/customer support in the business. Also every single EVGA card I had was an absolute beast at overclocking, and their coolers were OP. This is such a huge loss....

... I hope my current 3070ti stays healthy I guess. 😓
FWIW, I always heard great things about EVGA so I finally bought one in the 900-series... and I ultimately wasn't impressed. The cooling was worse than other cards at the same price point, and the build quality didn't feel particularly special.
Sure, it didn't break, but no GPU I've ever owned has broken so that doesn't seem like a distinguishing quality.

In terms of sheer materials and build, the 2080ti FE and the 3090 FE felt far more high quality than any other GPU I ever owned. (So I can kind of see why IHVs would be concerned)

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
"optical" refers to how the switches determine if they are pressed. With "normal" mechanical switches, you move piece of metal into the PCB to close a circuit -- pretty much how light switches work. Optical switches use optical measures, light being occluded I would assume, to determine when to actuate.
Aside from that, there are no differences. The things that make linear switches linear, tactile switches feel tactile, or clicky switches produce a click sound have nothing to do with whether they are optical or not.

That being said, I have never used a board that supported optical switches myself.
I looked them up but in regards to actual use info is meh..I prob just stick to mechanical cause will I ever really notice the quicker input >.>

• Eyes

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I've always had Asus GPU which were good. My current one is a Gigabyte and it's also very good, I'd buy another one without hesitation.

Actually, my first GPU was a PNY 750Ti and that thing rocked.

• Eyes

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
My first GPU was a Righteous 3D 3DFX card.:D Which I fried by poking with a screwdriver while the computer was on haha, but I had warranty and I pretended I didn't know what happened and the computer store tried to fix it. It went several months and when it couldn't be fixed they just gave the second generation of the card haha!

Ibuki

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Just finished playing almost 3 hours straight of Half-Life 2: VR Mod. This is absolutely incredible. I can't imagine the amount of work it took to make this possible. Seeing this game from this perspective made me feel pretty emotional. The guns all feel like they should, and they added everything you would expect from a fully featured VR game.

If you have a VR headset and love HL2, do yourself a favor and try this mod.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
The EVGA news really sucks. I was planning of getting a RTX 40 series card from them.

I guess my only option will be to get a founders card then.

I will stay away from MSI (they are very sketchy and have done some bad stuff to their customers in the past.)

I doubt that a current 3080 would suffice for future RTX stuff if is has matured more now with consoles also having Ray tracing

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
The EVGA news really sucks. I was planning of getting a RTX 40 series card from them.

I guess my only option will be to get a founders card then.

I will stay away from MSI (they are very sketchy and have done some bad stuff to their customers in the past.)

I doubt that a current 3080 would suffice for future RTX stuff if is has matured more now with consoles also having Ray tracing
I've been MSI for GPU's forever, rock solid quality wise, but I likewise soured on them when they were caught scalping their own cards during the GPU shortage. Now that GPU crypto mining is dead and we'll all be free to choose our own cards again, zero chance I'm buying another GPU from them.

Went with Zotac for the 30XX gen and, well, they still havent returned my RMA unit. So whenever I upgrade next I'll probably go with Gigabyte or Asus.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Sapphire was my AMD go to, and usually I go with ASUS for Nvidia. Right now I'm rocking a 3080 FE just because I had an opportunity to get one. I'm not wedded to any particular brand of GPU manufacturer and I just get what looks like best value to me when I'm shopping for one.

moemoneyb1

MetaMember
Mar 29, 2021
EVGA was the only one that was trying to get cards in the hands of the average consumer with the queue system. It wasn't perfect but it showed me that at least they were trying. I got lucky on a random morning back in January of this year when the 3080 12 GB was dropped with little fanfare. I managed to put in a reservation and a couple of weeks later I was able to purchase the card. Overall I think people in North America specifically tend to think highly of EVGA due to their warranty service, step-up program, and fair pricing during the shortage. I think in Europe though their customer service is lacking from what I read online.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
With the TGS announcements largely out of the way, I think I've settled on my game purchases for the rest of the year.

• Judgment Collection in the next couple of days
  • P5R in October
  • Bayonetta 3 in October (going to wait for reviews on this one as Platinum's recent output has, to put it charitably, been complete and utter dogshit)
  • RE Village - Winters' Expansion also in October (need that third person mode because RE in first person is awful)
and
  • Crisis Core -FFVII- Reunion in December

I may not have time to play all of those this year on top of the other 2022 games I already have, so in 2023 I'm gonna have a massive backlog purge of pre-2022 games I just need to accept I'll never play.

actual_norwegian_guy

Rebranded...
Apr 15, 2021
i don't get why people are surprised that PSVR games aren't compatible with PS2VR

PSVR, while the move controllers are an option to some of the vr games available on playstation, have the dualshock controller as the main controller, which is not the same to how most PCVR headsets are, including PS2VR, which have the two seperate controllers for each hand

if you want a good perspective on how some PSVR games translate to PCVR/PS2VR, just look at Hitman 3's PCVR alongside its numerous translation problems from PSVR -> PCVR

• Sad
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and PC-tan

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
  • Bayonetta 3 in October (going to wait for reviews on this one as Platinum's recent output has, to put it charitably, been complete and utter dogshit)
I would love to hear what your uncharitable take on their output is :p

I made my console game purchase list for the rest of the year a few weeks ago. Xenoblade 3, Persona 5R on Switch, Bayonetta 3, a small chance of getting Nier Automata again on Switch, and God of War. No point making a PC list because wishlisted stuff might launch with lousy regional pricing that I don't want to pay and more importantly, interesting looking games that I've not heard of show up weekly on Steam anyway.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I would love to hear what your uncharitable take on their output is :p

I made my console game purchase list for the rest of the year a few weeks ago. Xenoblade 3, Persona 5R on Switch, Bayonetta 3, a small chance of getting Nier Automata again on Switch, and God of War. No point making a PC list because wishlisted stuff might launch with lousy regional pricing that I don't want to pay and more importantly, interesting looking games that I've not heard of show up weekly on Steam anyway.
As a massive Platinum fan, no one thread can contain my anger at their post-Bayonetta 2 output. :zipper-mouth-face:

I don’t know what went wrong, but it’s been tragic.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Finished Jack Move this morning.

Enjoyed the game for the price. It isn't particularly outstanding, except for the graphics they are great, but it is fun. The story is a bit Saturday Cartoon. The Evil Corporation is evil because it is evil and never really expanded on outside of the CEO and the lead Scientist. One disappointment is that Cyberspace is under utilised and is effectively dungeons with a fantasy/horror aesthetic.

However took me 7 or 8 hours to complete and doesn't outstay it's welcome. In fact I would say it was wearing thin as I was reaching the end. Game hints at a sequel (don't worry the story is all closed up at the end) and I would definately be interested in seeing where it goes.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
First step of PS5 sale complete. System wiped, 2TB NVMe I installed in it has been salvaged and moved to the third NVMe slot on my gaming PC. Thankfully I didn’t need to take my graphics card out to get at the m.2 slot.

So now I have an extra 2TB of storage on my PC. Bringing the total to…
  • 2TB Gen 3 NVMe SSD storage (1x 2TB - OS drive)
  • 4TB Gen 4 NVMe SSD storage (2x 2TB)
  • 10TB SATA SSD storage (2x 1TB & 1x 8TB)
I’ve got too much storage, haven’t I?

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Oh god in heaven, no mechanical drive. No noise. No fucking waiting 5-8 seconds for one of those to wake up before doing a random minor operation like emptying the recycle bin.
I’m jelly. I’m basically a DQ slime*

*that would have worked better with a pic but I’m lazy

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Oh god in heaven, no mechanical drive. No noise. No fucking waiting 5-8 seconds for one of those to wake up before doing a random minor operation like emptying the recycle bin.
I’m jelly. I’m basically a DQ slime*

*that would have worked better with a pic but I’m lazy
It is very nice. The PC is very snappy and the only noise is from the GPU and AIO, and they’re not that noisy compared to a mechanical drive.

Speaking of mechanical drives. My Unraid server in a different room has 2x 16TB NAS drives in it and can be best described as sounding like it is making popcorn!

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
So is it safe to assume nobody will meaningfully undercut Green Man Gaming for Diofield ?
They are doing 22% off with the September voucher thing IIRC. That still make it 46 something, thanks Obama Square.

• Eyes

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Checked cdkeys ?
No key sellers selling the game, Square controls their keys fiercely :so-good-blob:

Which btw is why I'm so tempted to buy FF7Remake at 56. It's high but who knows when Square will discount the game again ? Even Christmas is not a guarantee with these fucks. I'm super salty to have skipped the 46 something GMG sold it at during release week.

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
I have 9 unlimited google drive units attached to random universities (Movies, Anime, Manga, Shows, Music, ROMs, etc... no personal data -this is on my PC and external backup-), it's been 4 years without issues.
I used to have 72TB HDDs but with current download speeds (1GB/s) I ended filling 2TB HDD/month because my PC is downloading content 24/7 via torrent or direct servers. There's a moment this is a non-viable situation not only financially but also physical space, so cloud storage is a great solution.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Bah. I thought id set up my Index and have a go at that HL2 VR mod but it seems like ive lost the power adaptor when i moved a few months ago and of course none of the 5o thousand other power adaptors i have in the house fit.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
It's crazy, but this may be the only way I can play HL2 without getting sick.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Was it even possible to order brand new FE cards outside the release windows ? I rarely saw cards in stock anywhere but I never saw FE cards on Nvidia's site.

• Eyes

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Was it even possible to order brand new FE cards outside the release windows ? I rarely saw cards in stock anywhere but I never saw FE cards on Nvidia's site.
They did regular restocks. I got a 3080 FE in November/December 2021 at RRP. They go quickly, though.

Edit: meant 2021.

Last edited:
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Li Kao
Status
Not open for further replies.