Community MetaSteam September 2022 | You were expecting Kingdom Hearts, but it’s me Dio(field)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
On a whim, I decided to replay A Dark Room and Candy Box, and both games are still great. Weird, but great. They were released nearly a decade ago. I feel old.
I replayed Candy Box last year, and it is such a good game yet! It felt like those games were released just a few years ago.

• Comfy
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and spiel

manchego obfuscator

MetaMember
Jan 23, 2020
No, that wasn't it. It was a 3D game and the camera followed the player.

Another detail that I remembered was that when you died, you meet the grim reaper and have to go through a portal to live again.
Hmm. Zelda-likes are one of my favorite genres, so I wish I knew, but drawing a blank here.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Reallyyyyy want to wait on reviews for Made in Abyss. That is a lot of a dosh with what has been quiet pre-launch buzz. I have heard zero impressions or anything.

____

Black Witchcraft is now coming out September 27th, was originally planned for September 8th

I have been lowkey following this game for a while and hope it turns out well

spiel

Apr 17, 2019
I replayed Candy Box last year, and it is such a good game yet! It felt like those games were released just a few years ago.
Yeah, it was a hoot to rediscover the game all over again. Did you play Candy Box 2? I never got round to it, it kind of got lost in the shuffle of incremental games that spawned afterwards.

• Eyes

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
Yeah, it was a hoot to rediscover the game all over again. Did you play Candy Box 2? I never got round to it, it kind of got lost in the shuffle of incremental games that spawned afterwards.
I also played Candy Box 2 recently and being honest I prefer it to the first game.

• Eyes
Reactions: spiel

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
speak of the devil I have found ONE review

it's not good

Oof, yeah that looks way too rough for a 60USD title. The gameplay loop also seems so disappointing with how interesting the setting could be. I could easily see something more along the lines of Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest builders going on with how it could work into the setting.

___

Picked up Immortality on a whim and about an hour and a half in, I think I am hooked now. I really liked Her Story, but skipped over Telling Lies. This one just looked too interesting. It was a bit of a slow burn to start, but I am intrigued.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
It's incredible just how much I dislike linear games, I'm trying to play through Plague Tale before it leaves gamepass and before the second one comes out, at it feels like agony playing it.XD
then drop it and don't play the second I'd recommend :relieved-face:
And damn, linear single player games are it feels like the only playground I still have for games I like/am interested in (certainly AAA anyway) :anguished-face:

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
HEY EVERYONE!!!

Doing a Friday bounce around this time. I didn't want to start a new game and then have to wait until Tuesday to continue so we'll swap Friday and Sunday this week and Sunday will be the day we figure out our next playthrough. Going to be starting with some Hitman 3 again and it's looking like today might be a shooter heavy stream. I want to check out some recent DLC releases and those games both happen to be FPS.

We'll be starting in about 10 minutes like usual!

YourFriendMaynard

The flame is it's own reflection
Dec 21, 2018
Reallyyyyy want to wait on reviews for Made in Abyss. That is a lot of a dosh with what has been quiet pre-launch buzz. I have heard zero impressions or anything.

____

Black Witchcraft is now coming out September 27th, was originally planned for September 8th

I have been lowkey following this game for a while and hope it turns out well

HOT TOPICS the game

watch yo'selves tho

• Eyes

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019

it’s dead
I had a lot of fun with Splitgate, it was also one I could play crossplatform with my nephew so that was cool too. I think the biggest misstep was it played a lot like Halo meets UT and it unfortunately didn't start picking up steam until around the release of Halo Infinite despite being a year or two old already and by that point well.. folks went to play Infinite instead.

But we absolutely need more UT style games so hopefully whatever their next title is it still captures some of that same feeling and that it can release in a more favorable window, or at least catch on during a more favorable one.

freshVeggie

almost there
Sep 7, 2018
Hey everyone, after sucking bad for over 200 hours in Elden Ring, I ended up having a real blast against Gideon. To my own surprise!
Went to him after beating another boss and clearing a whole area. So, I started the fight with little to no FP and no FP flasks. And just 3 Estus. Barely made it, and I don't know how. Immediately shadow recorded my victory.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Hey everyone, after sucking bad for over 200 hours in Elden Ring, I ended up having a real blast against Gideon. To my own surprise!
Went to him after beating another boss and clearing a whole area. So, I started the fight with little to no FP and no FP flasks. And just 3 Estus. Barely made it, and I don't know how. Immediately shadow recorded my victory.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
It's a good thing that Falcon, NIS, IFFY, and other are not just on PS.

It looks like the PS situation in Japan is not that good.

As some have already mentioned the whole Soul Hackers 2 numbers being low (numbers for other games would be even lower).

I saw this one thing from a Japanese dev that works for a smaller copy and they listed how unless you are a AAA western title (AAA Japanese titles as well) you are not going to be noticed and picked up by Sony.

How unless you release on PS at the beginning you may never release on PS at all.

SIE doesn't deal with individuals and stuff like that.

So if you were an indie dev, Steam and Switch are your best bets.

They also mentioned how the situation is bad because of how devs are limited by the Switch (this is why AAA Japanese companies have released cloud versions of games on the Switch). So the Switch sales insanely well but you are also very limited by the hardware and you can't ignore the hardware. Like I mentioned before I think this is what happened with Soul Hackers 2. It's not that the Switch can't run the game but that it would have held back the development of the other versions that were much more ready to be released, and even if the game didn't sell well on those systems they could make up the cost on Switch so long as people thought that the game was good).

PC has been getting more and more ports because you can't simply ignore that market. But even then some games are very niche so you can't just rely on that and if you wanted to make something aimed at young children then you are screwed since not many elementary school and middle school kids play on PC (it's mainly people in highschool and older that play on PC in Japan)

They also talked about how despite SIE intentions the whole indie project has just lead to "drinking buddies" (which I can't blame them seeing how that's how you can sometimes picture YosP along with other top SIE people. However not all is lost seeing how YosP has been involved in indie stuff more recently (he was at Bitsummit himself personally last month)

The reason that all of this is bad is that this has lead Japanese games companies to rely on mobile games (there is nothing wrong with mobile games) but you do come across the issue that they very often are short lived and may not even last a year before being gone for ever. Mobile games have greatly limited game design since it's better to design around an experience that's comfortable for people to play on mobile phones.

There is some truth to this and it's likely also the reason why NIS is basically screwed (hey NISA do what very you can to make money because if you don't then NISA will go bankrupt).

Dang it must be difficult to be a small Japanese dev studio right now. And even if you release on Switch and stuff and get a publisher to localize and release your game world wide they may very likely screw you over as we saw with PQUBE and just publishers in general.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
By the way I do find the Valve Famitsu article "news" funny, seeing how it's pretty much a month old article now and all of a sudden people are finding out about it. Just wait till other also figure out a out the articles that 4Gamer and Games park also did (I have not looked Into the South Korea news outlets though and that could actually be quite interesting seeing how popular PC is in South Korea)

• Eyes

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
This looks like worthless mobile crap. Rip Torchlight... 😟

I'm surprised that there is a new Torchlight. I wonder if the IP was sold off or licensed to the new developer/developer?
Probably sold off. Runic, the original developer of Torchlight, was closed by Perfect World after the release of Hob because they wanted to focus on live service games. The lead designer of Torchlight (Travis Baldree) started his own studio Double Damage Games and released Rebel Galaxy and Rebel Galaxy Outlaws. The latter pissed off a lot of fans for going 1st person and EGS exclusive, and even more when the game was released at full price on Steam a year later. According to the community manager on Reddit, the angry fans were the main reason why Travis left the game industry. He's now an actor and writer for audiobooks.
This looks like worthless mobile crap. Rip Torchlight... 😟

Probably sold off. Runic, the original developer of Torchlight, was closed by Perfect World after the release of Hob because they wanted to focus on live service games. The lead designer of Torchlight (Travis Baldree) started his own studio Double Damage Games and released Rebel Galaxy and Rebel Galaxy Outlaws. The latter pissed off a lot of fans for going 1st person and EGS exclusivity, and even more when the game was released at full price on Steam a year later. According to the community manager on Reddit, the angry fans were the main reason why Travis left the game industry. He's now an actor and writer for audiobooks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.