Community MMOs and not so MMOs news, updates, and discussions | Ain't nobody got time for that?

MMO role that defines you

• Total voters

Samson

Aug 2, 2019
Heraklion
Yeah a few things got locked behind early story missions, but you could join LS/FC as early as you first created a character.

I asked in a few communities but since I got no response, I think most are just doing things in their own FC and not really interested in managing additional LSes. Oh well.

I find it difficult to make new friends in modern MMOs, most people I run into from duty finder aren't even on the same server most of the time, and the open world is basically empty.
If you're looking to talk to people and meet people, the best in-game places are either the endgame hub of the current expansion, or Limsa Lominsa, which is everyone's favorite base city because of how its laid out.

Another decent way to talk to people is to find Party Finder groups of people planning to do a large amount of content. E.g., rerunning a primal to get a mount, or finishing all 12 levels of the 8-man raids. I've made a handful of friends from doing that.

Fluffynov

I worship Godd Howard
Dec 9, 2018
I just want to get hyped for mmos again. The last couple of years have been a rollercoaster of emotions. I played ArcheAge pre 1.0 in Korea and it was legit the best mmo (from a gameplay and systems perspective) that I've played up to that point. Then they fucked it up in Korea and the west got the shitty version. FFXIV ARR was neat from an immersion and world perspective but after hitting 50 the annoying "gather parts for that weapon endgame" thingy ruined the fun for me and my friends. BDO was freaking gorgeous and the world felt believable with all the workers running about and the cities bustling with people and npcs but the game was an ultimately shallow experience.

Give me a good mmo again :loudly-crying-face:

Reactions: lashman and Routa

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Anteater If we can have Cross-DataCentre LinkShells then i've no problem joining one even if we can't play together a Global MC Linkshell would be fun even with TimeZones wreaking havoc!

My experience may be different as i'm on one of the new EU servers so there's lots of activity everywhere compared to when i went server walking and the older servers seemed dead. On Twintania I get FC invites left, right and center. I had them while exploring, doing FATES, standing around in Gridania/Limsa/Ul'Dah, there's always someone shouting invites in the main hubs too. I even co-signed about 5 or 6 of them before i ended up in the one i'm in now.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
FFXIV ARR was neat from an immersion and world perspective but after hitting 50 the annoying "gather parts for that weapon endgame" thingy ruined the fun for me and my friends.

That's an optional content :thinking-blob: people did it just for fashion :thinking-blob:

I also missed good MMO. I missed being able to have the fresh feeling in enjoying the world and leveling process.

Btw Guild Wars 2 is in a lot of mess these days lol.

Reactions: Samson

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Reached Level 18 in WoW Classic with my Warrior and decided to tank my first Dungeon with random players.

It was a catastrophe.
Maybe it is me, but early game warrior tanking is difficult, you have one taunt (10 sec cooldown), no AOE to speak off, 25% of your hits miss the enemy out of principle (which makes aggro generation hard) and there is no aggro pull ability (you can shoot stuff with a ranged weapon though).
Our heal was lvl 16 (recommended lvl is 18), the hunter wanted to pull because he didn't think I was capable of kiteing enemies into his traps (it's not difficult), the DD warrior charged whenever he wanted, every body attacked a different mob, crowd control was rare. I even marked primary, secondary and CC targets... it didn't help.
I told them about the wonder of the "F" button a.k.a "Target of your Target" so we could concentrate on one enemy at the time, but it was futile.
3 of the players were from one guild and they had this arrogant "we know what we are doing", "there is no reason to play it calm and strategically", "we're mega pros!" attitude.
We wiped twice at the third boss and they decided to go to bed. It was everybody's fault, but theirs.

Reminded me why I stopped enjoying tanking for randoms. Classic is hard, dungeons are unforgiving and shitty designed. You have to play it cool and slow, in the beginning.

Questing on the other side is surprisingly fun. Modern WoW leveling is like running downhill, wrapped in cushions, while a huge ventilator is giving you extra boost. Classic WoW is fighting an uphill battle, it's unforgiving, badly designed, sometimes even unfair, but it is 1000x times more fun. Why? Because reaching a new level, crafting something new, training a new skill (and being able to afford it) feels like you won and defeated the system. Reaching a new level in modern WoW feels like getting one of those "you participated" medals. It's meaningless.
The problem is: Classic WoW leveling is fun for the "first" time, playing your third twink is twisting your mind. The game isn't good and I'm enjoying the leveling process more than in most other "modern" mmos.
(Besides FF 14 Online and the old SW:Tor, both have their own unique merits).

And yes, older mmos were even more brutal and unforgiving. I wish they'd still exist, with good story telling and a couple modern functions for grouping.
Too bad EQ next was canceled. I was looking forward to it.

Last edited:

Samson

Aug 2, 2019
Heraklion
I just want to get hyped for mmos again. The last couple of years have been a rollercoaster of emotions. I played ArcheAge pre 1.0 in Korea and it was legit the best mmo (from a gameplay and systems perspective) that I've played up to that point. Then they fucked it up in Korea and the west got the shitty version. FFXIV ARR was neat from an immersion and world perspective but after hitting 50 the annoying "gather parts for that weapon endgame" thingy ruined the fun for me and my friends. BDO was freaking gorgeous and the world felt believable with all the workers running about and the cities bustling with people and npcs but the game was an ultimately shallow experience.

Assuming you're talking about relic weapons, this content should be ignored by everyone except the most hardcore of players.

If you have absolutely run every part of the FFXIV story, are up to date on all of the raids, alliance raids, seasonal events, optional dungeons and everything else (which most people aren't), and like how the relic weapons look, sure do that stuff. But otherwise, they're not usually even BiS, since the Savage drops are better, and they're just a time-sink for players e-peen. Don't let that drive you from the game.

Fluffynov

I worship Godd Howard
Dec 9, 2018
That's an optional content :thinking-blob: people did it just for fashion :thinking-blob:

I also missed good MMO. I missed being able to have the fresh feeling in enjoying the world and leveling process.

Btw Guild Wars 2 is in a lot of mess these days lol.
Has it always been like that? I played the game at launch and all I remember is that after finishing the story all that's left to do was primals and that weapon quest.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
Has it always been like that? I played the game at launch and all I remember is that after finishing the story all that's left to do was primals and that weapon quest.
You are correct if it at launch. But now we have three expansions worth of contents so there are a lot of contents to do. Relic weapons is not always the strongest weapons that you can obtain and it's a lot of works just to make onee so people just did it for fashion,

Reactions: Samson

Fluffynov

I worship Godd Howard
Dec 9, 2018
You are correct if it at launch. But now we have three expansions worth of contents so there are a lot of contents to do. Relic weapons is not always the strongest weapons that you can obtain and it's a lot of works just to make onee so people just did it for fashion,
Oh yeah I know about the expansions, obviously, but getting back to an MMO has almost never worked out for me. Tried it with BDO a month ago and it's just too much work. There's so much new stuff that I'd have to read up on and learn about that I usually just dabble in the game a couple of days before abandoning it again. That's why I'm yearning for a completely new mmo that (hopefully) will keep me and my friends engaged for longer than say 3 months.

Overture

Travel in Stygian
Aug 4, 2019
Portugal
I think I'm about to jump in for the 4th time (FFXIV)... everything is sounding good about this game nowadays, but those initial dozens of hours have been so hard to get past. Every time I jump in again I start another character because I barely remember anything, so I think I'm just adding fuel to the fire... Maybe I'll continue my highest lvl character, even if I don't remember anything about the story.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
I think I'm about to jump in for the 4th time (FFXIV)... everything is sounding good about this game nowadays, but those initial dozens of hours have been so hard to get past. Every time I jump in again I start another character because I barely remember anything, so I think I'm just adding fuel to the fire... Maybe I'll continue my highest lvl character, even if I don't remember anything about the story.
Hmm, the ARR part of the game is gonna get an overhaul and some of the fluff is apparently going to be trimmed in version 5.3 (which should be sometime around late spring/early summer next year, maybe?).

Reactions: Overture

Samson

Aug 2, 2019
Heraklion
If you do restart, my advice is to mostly just spam the MSQ as fast as your level allows.

Unless you need some EXP from them to advance, skip the side stuff and just stay on track. And when the backtracking gets bad, don't mess around with walking everywhere manually. Just spend the Gil to transport.

AAR is a slog, but I really think people let themselves get bogged down by cheaping out on transport fees and trying to complete too many sidequests to fuel their completionist habits.

Reactions: Overture

Fluffynov

I worship Godd Howard
Dec 9, 2018
I'm very tempted to check out archeage unchained. Their whole "we got rid of pay2win" talk has made me curious to jump back in. As I wrote a few days ago I really loved archeage and its gameplay systems and world.

Reactions: texhnolyze

Overture

Travel in Stygian
Aug 4, 2019
Portugal
I'm very tempted to check out archeage unchained. Their whole "we got rid of pay2win" talk has made me curious to jump back in. As I wrote a few days ago I really loved archeage and its gameplay systems and world.
I'm very skeptical about that. Loved the game when it first came out, had a great time with a bunch of friends, but the pay to win stuff absolutely killed it. I'd much prefer to pay a sub. This new version will be buy to play, right? Even then, I'm already reading stuff about "season passes" and stuff... not sure I trust them to get rid of all the pay to win crap.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Guild Wars 2 released its new patch, they call it the prologue of the new "saga".
And hey, it's pretty well done, we finally see more of the Charr lands and culture (which has been sorely disappointing since the very beginning of the franchise - ironic considering they were the original bad guys), and the story goes a bit more political than just fighting dragons. It's fun to see people fear your character's accomplishments and start getting angsty about what you could be doing.

As usual, it comes with a new map, and it's very pretty... and the events are fun, there's a metal concert where you have to play the roadie and smack rowdy fans, jump in the mosh pit... they're definitely going for something faster and more varied than usual, there's a fuck ton of different objectives... maybe too many? You don't even use your combat skills that much at this point...

The new "strike" system is a bit of a dud though, it's pretty much informal raiding (not exactly new in the genre), it's fine and all but... it really is too easy. They need a bit of balance between casual and hardcore content.

And here is my edgelord warrior in the stupidest, shiniest gear I got:

Fluffynov

I worship Godd Howard
Dec 9, 2018
Which mmo genre do you guys prefer and why? Sandbox or themepark?

I'm a sandbox player. I love the idea of exploring and actually interacting with the game world other than fighting monsters (planting and harvesting trees and plants in the actual game world in archeage for example). I love games that allow the players to own land in the actual world instead of instanced housing and encourage a player driven economy. Granted all these features haven't always been implemented successfully so far but in my opinion they are a great way to allow for in-depth personalization and they keep me engaged way longer than I'd be in a themepark mmo.

I just wish mmo devs would learn from past mistakes and tweak and adapt these features so that they are working properly and don't break a game.

The thing that I don't like about themepark mmos is the usual focus on instanced dungeons and raids. Not saying that all themepark mmos follow that same pattern but from my experience most of them do. Also most themepark mmos don't really allow for in-depth or meaningful crafting with raid and dungeon drops almost always being the better option and thus making crafting irrelevant.

Overture

Travel in Stygian
Aug 4, 2019
Portugal
So, I finally kept going with FFXIV and I kinda had fun with it this time around. It's still a slog, but I had a lot of fun doing dungeons, guildhests, the palace of the dead, etc, the game really shines there. Some main quests are atrocious, a lot of running/teleporting but that's the usual for these games, unfortunately.

Anyway, I've reached lvl 50 MQ and lvl 50 of my class (been losing a lot of time with jobs as well). Square offered Heavensward a while back so I'm starting it now, but I have a question... should I buy Shadowbringers already, or is it better to get to the end of Heavensward, play a bit of its endgame and then jump into Shadowbringers?

Which mmo genre do you guys prefer and why? Sandbox or themepark?

I'm a sandbox player. I love the idea of exploring and actually interacting with the game world other than fighting monsters (planting and harvesting trees and plants in the actual game world in archeage for example). I love games that allow the players to own land in the actual world instead of instanced housing and encourage a player driven economy. Granted all these features haven't always been implemented successfully so far but in my opinion they are a great way to allow for in-depth personalization and they keep me engaged way longer than I'd be in a themepark mmo.

I just wish mmo devs would learn from past mistakes and tweak and adapt these features so that they are working properly and don't break a game.

The thing that I don't like about themepark mmos is the usual focus on instanced dungeons and raids. Not saying that all themepark mmos follow that same pattern but from my experience most of them do. Also most themepark mmos don't really allow for in-depth or meaningful crafting with raid and dungeon drops almost always being the better option and thus making crafting irrelevant.
I love dungeons/raids and stuff like that. I also like to level up job classes so I get disappointed as well when crafting and the likes don't really matter too much in the end. But if I had to say what I like the most, I'd say dungeons and raids. I loved trading in Archeage as well, in the beginning, but unfortunately they've changed it a lot after a while.

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I really need to get back in to FFXIV and just hit some dungeons to get to 30 without caring if i'm shite... anyway there's been an event on for the last week and it has a few more days to go. I'm planning on spending some time in Eorzea this weekend after a 6 week absence.

Reactions: JMTHEFOX

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Well, i just spent a bunch of Crysta on previous years All Saint's Wake stuff from the Mog Store because i'm weak and i wanted a Witches Broom! ... and i want to get back in to FFXIV soon.
Once i've found my feet again i want to find an Active but casual FC to join which hopefully will motivate me to do the Dungeons and become a real White Mage.

JMTHEFOX

Planning to Be a Game Designer
Oct 4, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
Black Desert Online for free if you pre-register for Black Desert Mobile (global version)

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Hmm, seems like NCSoft just invested today more than $112M into NCSoft West (in charge of publishing Lineage, Aion, Blade&Soul and GW2... in the West, as well as adapting their Korean mobile games for the Western market).
That's way overboard to fund the marketing of something like Aion 2 (which is a mobile game), so that probably means a lot of the money for a big project from one of their subsidiaries.
Maybe Guild Wars 3?

Reactions: Dandy
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Hmm, seems like NCSoft just invested today more than $112M into NCSoft West (in charge of publishing Lineage, Aion, Blade&Soul and GW2... in the West, as well as adapting their Korean mobile games for the Western market).
That's way overboard to fund the marketing of something like Aion 2 (which is a mobile game), so that probably means a lot of the money for a big project from one of their subsidiaries.
Maybe Guild Wars 3?
Interesting. Coincidentally, lots of old Guild Wars 2 staffs have been leaving this past few months. They're probably restructuring and hiring new people for the new game. Exciting times ahead.

OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Legends of Aria is receiving a major update this December, adds F2P version on top of paid.

Reactions: lashman

DriftedPlanet

Ash, I think something was in those sandwiches
Oct 27, 2018
Man, this thread really makes FFXIV look good.

I started Warframe early this year, got pretty into it and finished the story around midsummer, and have kinda slowed down with it. Still ranking up and building primes but not much story left to pursue until Empyrean (spaceship fighting/shipjacking), New War, and/or Duviri Paradox (preview looked like Warframe-branded Red Dead) hit. Still, they keep releasing new frames and reworking old content in the meanwhile which is nice.

I started ESO Morrowind back in spring but haven't put a lot of time into it. Nice that there is a lot of VA and are a lot of quests around. Limited bank slots are kinda a pain so I guess making a solo clan or farming money are necessary to cope. Seems to pull off the sorta strand game-y/soft multiplayer thing well from what I've played; often was in dungeons or the open-world fighting or sneaking around and helping/being helped by other people who happened to be around.

Destiny 2's mouse + kb controls feel clean and good to use. The new player experience seems really plot-light though.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Thread's not dead, just resting. There's a couple of people who play GW2 in here.
I haven't played FFXIV for a few months and i want to get back in to it, also thanks for prodding my memory that i need to post the holiday even that started the 19th!

Reactions: derFeef and lashman

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
I did not give in to the FFXIV hype, but I want to play a MMORPG again somehow.
Just wondering if GW2 is still good or if it's on it's last leg. I don't care if it's sold or something, I actually like old MMO's often better.

Btw. I wanted to try Dungeon Fighter Online but I could not get it to run on my PC, which is weird for such a game...

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
GW2 is still around. They put out a roadmap for Q1, with the usual living story, expanded Chinese new year festival, some PVP changes and a new form of PVE, not unlike the bonus missions in GW1; little stories disconnected from the main line.

PVE wise the game is solid, maps and story never came out faster, but on the other hand raids and fractals are slow as shit.
For PVP... things are pretty grim.

Also, Kingdom Under Fire 2 was finally released. Seems like a bit too late and a bit too shallow though... don't really wanna try it.

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
So I was playing a bit of GW2 and it's not clicking sadly :( The search continues (Or I am going to play some Anarchy Online)
I saw KOF2 and it seems interesting enough to try it, if it get's a bit cheaper that is.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I'm puttering around in ESO as usual. I've never gotten into dungeons/trials, but I like it as a single-player RPG that I can waste time in and relax.

Sygmaelle

MetaMember
Sep 8, 2019
I'm playing Lost Ark and its clicking every single box I wanted it to since I stopped playing FF XIV back in huh ... 2015 I think ?

I did play a bit of Skyforge and Blade and Soul after that but went on hiatus rather quickly on these two. Anyway Lost Ark ! its pure joy, has a rather insane amount of content ... also :

- classes are deep (understand by that you can play them in a LOT of different ways, every single one of them) and varied despite sharing a common archetype

- the way they handle gear progression with dailies and everything thats not "directly" pve is awesome. There's a whole lot to do in the game for crafters / gatherers / explorers / pvers / pvpers and boy does it never end.

The sea content on its own is awesome : you get to explore islands, talk to people, find shipwrecks and theres an aspect of gestion to the crew you take on your boat, as well as taking in account the weather which can dramatically influence stuff

- Open world pvp and arena pvp where the gear is for the most part (90% of it) equalised (yay)

- A metric ton of dungeons who can last up to 40 mins, infinite tower, raids of various difficulties.

Seriously it is that good, I was considering for the longest time to jump back into GW 1 since the graphical update that happened this summer gave life back to the game, but yeah now I cant :D

Ex-User (119)

Oct 19, 2018
I'm playing Lost Ark and its clicking every single box I wanted it to since I stopped playing FF XIV back in huh ... 2015 I think ?

I did play a bit of Skyforge and Blade and Soul after that but went on hiatus rather quickly on these two. Anyway Lost Ark ! its pure joy, has a rather insane amount of content ... also :

- classes are deep (understand by that you can play them in a LOT of different ways, every single one of them) and varied despite sharing a common archetype

- the way they handle gear progression with dailies and everything thats not "directly" pve is awesome. There's a whole lot to do in the game for crafters / gatherers / explorers / pvers / pvpers and boy does it never end.

The sea content on its own is awesome : you get to explore islands, talk to people, find shipwrecks and theres an aspect of gestion to the crew you take on your boat, as well as taking in account the weather which can dramatically influence stuff

- Open world pvp and arena pvp where the gear is for the most part (90% of it) equalised (yay)

- A metric ton of dungeons who can last up to 40 mins, infinite tower, raids of various difficulties.

Seriously it is that good, I was considering for the longest time to jump back into GW 1 since the graphical update that happened this summer gave life back to the game, but yeah now I cant :D
hgow hard is it to set up lost ark, because it english ? any guide ?