Community MMOs and not so MMOs news, updates, and discussions | Ain't nobody got time for that?

MMO role that defines you

• Total voters

Sygmaelle

MetaMember
Sep 8, 2019
hgow hard is it to set up lost ark, because it english ? any guide ?
1) create an email address on that service -> :Mail.ru: почта, поиск в интернете, новости, игры

2) download the client here : LOST ARK — официальный сайт Action-MMORPG , then download the game

3) close the client

4) Download the fan english patch here : Download English Patch for Lost Ark

5) log via a vpn on a russian server, then load lost ark client, apply the english patch, launch the game

I'm using exitlag, it gives 3 days of free trial which is plenty to get a feel of the game, after that its ~6€ per month.

Lost Ark is entirely free (there are cosmetics / premium subscriptions / and some pay 2 play elements if you wish to but honestly its not necessary at all.

use Sybow code for -15%

KR version has more content but you'll get more lag, also its kinda the russian roulette (no pun intended) to keep a working account

if you wish to play there you need to rent an account here : Verified Lost Ark Korean Server Account | OBTGAME

On top of paying the vpn. The above english fan patch works for both RU and KR versions

In case :
Wait GW1 got a graphical update? Maybe I should play my old love.

Was slightly mistaken in the timeline, it happened last year ;D my bad

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
All of you guys who said to play FF14....DAMN YOU! I'm more addicted to this game than I've been to WOW since WOTLK!!!
Indeed, between work, FF14 and PSO2 (JP), I end up not having much time for other games. xd
While this past week I've been dedicating more time to PSO2 than FF14 since a new class just released there, I think I'm still gonna be able to reach the end of the 3.0 story in FF14 before the year ends.

Reactions: Chudah

Chudah

Just a chick who games
May 24, 2019
Chicago
store.steampowered.com
Indeed, between work, FF14 and PSO2 (JP), I end up not having much time for other games. xd
While this past week I've been dedicating more time to PSO2 than FF14 since a new class just released there, I think I'm still gonna be able to reach the end of the 3.0 story in FF14 before the year ends.
It took us about 2 months to get through Heavensward. There's just so much to do since we're determined (my husband and I) to play through each expansion's end game content before moving on. It's just SO nice to take our time with the game. We were used to the same old RUSH RUSH RUSH of WOW where we had deadlines to get to max level and geared enough to raid by a certain date. It definitely helps that the storytelling is miles better than anything WOW had given us since probably the Lich King.

Reactions: ezodagrom

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
It took us about 2 months to get through Heavensward. There's just so much to do since we're determined (my husband and I) to play through each expansion's end game content before moving on. It's just SO nice to take our time with the game. We were used to the same old RUSH RUSH RUSH of WOW where we had deadlines to get to max level and geared enough to raid by a certain date. It definitely helps that the storytelling is miles better than anything WOW had given us since probably the Lich King.
I started almost 5 months ago, but since I've been leveling up every job (except blue mage), I've been taking it very slowly.
When I first started I didn't intend to play through every job like this, but with each job having their own small stories, I just can't help but want to go through them. xD

Last edited:
Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I wish I loved FFXIV more. The whole "you have to do group content to progress the story" thing turned me off. I did get through the base game and started the first expansion but dropped it shortly after that.

Sygmaelle

MetaMember
Sep 8, 2019
I wish I loved FFXIV more. The whole "you have to do group content to progress the story" thing turned me off. I did get through the base game and started the first expansion but dropped it shortly after that.
As one of the best dragoon pre 1st expansion (I left the game after they revamped dragoon for 3.0 or something, shortly after introducing Ninja anyway), I couldn't justify to pay a sub in order to have one or two evenings of raids per week + 1 - 2 hours of dungeon runs after that in order to get capped in tomes, since the pvp scene was dead

Came back for stormblood, did all the omega runs and yeah nowadays its just more of the same, I'll still definitely do Shadowbringers because there's nothing like it on the market

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
There's probably not many who play PSO2 on the JP servers in these forums, but may as well still post this.

It was announced today that support for the Vita version is going to end in August.

It was also announced that there's going to be a massive update for the game.
Major content updates so far have been called "Episodes", with the game being in "Episode 6" currently.
The next major update was teased as "Not Episode 7", and that it's gonna be bigger than any of the episode updates so far.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
More or less resigned to the fact I won't finish FF14.
Tried three times, with at least two serous attempts, but no dice.

I know I should just resume where I'm at but it has been so long, and at the same time I don't want to restart for the third fucking time.

OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia

I know I should just resume where I'm at but it has been so long, and at the same time I don't want to restart for the third fucking time.
Why do you need to restart?

Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
The answer is shameful, but let's be honest. OCD
I would like to be able to enjoy the story without months of break between some sessions.

Yeah, I guess I could just do a cinematic catch-up at the inn. But it's not the same.
Hey, I never pretended that I wasn't a miserable pile of neuroses :cryblob:

Reactions: Swenhir

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com

In the next major update (5.3), the FFXIV's 2.x story is gonna be streamlined.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I read that, hope they don't go too far, but that's interesting indeed.
Now if they could add bots to the base game, it would be great.

...please note I'm in no way advocating for massively multiplayer games without the player part, but these days I'm far more interested in playing things with people I know that randos.

OTOH where the fuck is Phantasy Star Online 2 EU Sega ?

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
OTOH where the fuck is Phantasy Star Online 2 EU Sega ?
The way PSO2 has been handled in the west has been so bad, between the 2012 announcement followed by silent delays, no EU version and poor communication about updates and news.

Their handling of updates:
New updates are announced on twitter and on the official website on the same day of the updates. Meanwhile the JP version gets video trailers about updates nearly 2 weeks in advance and livestreams nearly every month showcasing content for the next 2 or 3 updates, teases about further future content and long term roadmaps. The difference between NA and JP when it comes to the communication about updates is like night and day.

Their handling of news:
PC version was announced for late May in NA, but the announcement was one sentence in an article about the XBox One launch, we still don't know the exact day and even the platforms where it'll be released (the announcement only vaguely says that it's coming to Windows 10).
And of course their complete silence about EU.

On another note, right now in the NA version they have 3 servers active and 3 servers offline. Those 3 servers that are still offline, either they'll be opened for the PC version, or maybe there's a chance they could end up being EU servers...? (Probably they're gonna be opened for PC NA)...

Reactions: Swenhir and Li Kao

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Here's super early footage of some upcoming vr mmorpg-type thingie from a random tuber (I guess from backer updates?).

Last edited:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
The way PSO2 has been handled in the west has been so bad, between the 2012 announcement followed by silent delays, no EU version and poor communication about updates and news.

New updates are announced on twitter and on the official website on the same day of the updates. Meanwhile the JP version gets video trailers about updates nearly 2 weeks in advance and livestreams nearly every month showcasing content for the next 2 or 3 updates, teases about further future content and long term roadmaps. The difference between NA and JP when it comes to the communication about updates is like night and day.

Their handling of news:
PC version was announced for late May in NA, but the announcement was one sentence in an article about the XBox One launch, we still don't know the exact day and even the platforms where it'll be released (the announcement only vaguely says that it's coming to Windows 10).

On another note, right now in the NA version they have 3 servers active and 3 servers offline. Those 3 servers that are still offline, either they'll be opened for the PC version, or maybe there's a chance they could end up being EU servers...? (Probably they're gonna be opened for PC NA)...
You make the best case of avoiding this version like the plague and playing the JP+FanPatch way :sweaty-blob:

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019

Their handling of news:

It seems like they don't give much of a crap about non-JP players from the sound of it :/. Isn't it also a rather old game to top it all off? Why did it take so much time for it to be localized?

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
It seems like they don't give much of a crap about non-JP players from the sound of it :/. Isn't it also a rather old game to top it all off? Why did it take so much time for it to be localized?
Yep, JP version was released in 2012.
I have no idea why it took this long to release, but it may have been a result of SEGA's failures/bombs back in 2012~2013 (Aliens Colonial Marines, Binary Domain, Anarchy Reigns).

From what I saw, the localization also feels rushed in some parts, between inconsistent terms, some parts that clearly haven't been double checked (text where you would expect the first letter to be in caps isn't, text that is missing spacing, like Area 1Planet X), and alot of flavour text missing, like, each weapon has unique descriptions in the JP version, that has been replaced with generic text for all weapons of the same type in the NA version, and quests given by NPCs have the NPC description of the quest completely missing.

(I don't blame the localizers for this, since the game does have a really huge amount of text, but it feels irresponsible of SEGA to release it as is, instead of continuing the beta phase until the localization is complete).

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Sega Japan: zero budget is their motto.
As funny as it is that Randy Pitchford is the one person responsible for the demise of Phantasy Star, it's not such a surprise that Sega always rely on awful expectations to even support their already released games.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
They just didn't feel like bringing the game over, like it wouldn't do great, much like Square didn't bring Dragon Quest X over. Microsoft USA folk thought why not and got a deal, and it's all up to them since, hence not even any news about a PAL release/servers (though at least they won't ip region lock either iirc).

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Sega Japan: zero budget is their motto.
I think it may be SEGA America, since for the JP version it's completely different, between livestreams to showcase news/updates, trailers about updates, merchandise, 2 anime seasons and 2 net animations, collaborations with alot of popular properties, live events for the anniversaries including a live tournament in the pvp/battle arena mode and cosplay contests, with how much marketing they do for the JP version I doubt it's SEGA Japan that is stopping the American branch from promoting the game more.

liezryou

MetaMember
Oct 31, 2018
So i've been done with WOW for a few months now just waiting on shadowlands (I wish it was out now xD). I do need something to tide me over until then. I want to go back to SWTOR i barely scratched the surface of all the storylines in that game. I do remember they were a god damn gem though. As a bonus i don't need to pay a monthly fee if i want to check it out before i commit. I do wish more MMOs had this f2p/preferred/sub model. It makes it so easy to get back into MMOs.

Rogue Agent

Takes too damn long to finish games
Apr 4, 2019

This is my third time I'm restarting, even though the previous attempts weren't as serious as they should have been. This time I just want to power through every quest with a tank and never look back. It's really ridiculous because I have this obsession of doing every single quest regardless of how boring it may be. It's that same obsession with open-world games and wanting to clear every point of interest that I can. I don't blame you if you've given up on this.

liezryou

MetaMember
Oct 31, 2018
This is my third time I'm restarting, even though the previous attempts weren't as serious as they should have been. This time I just want to power through every quest with a tank and never look back. It's really ridiculous because I have this obsession of doing every single quest regardless of how boring it may be. It's that same obsession with open-world games and wanting to clear every point of interest that I can. I don't blame you if you've given up on this.
Are you me? This is the reason I can't get into more mmos because i know i'll just overwhelm myself with trying to do every minor little thing and then just quit out of exhaustion.

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
It's a shame that FFXIV is so hard to get into - it's such a fantastic game and MMO, but it's also without any doubt a commitment. I just got to Shadowbringers recently, and it's retroactively in my top 5 games for 2019.

Linkark07

IDKFA
Apr 18, 2019
It's a shame that FFXIV is so hard to get into - it's such a fantastic game and MMO, but it's also without any doubt a commitment. I just got to Shadowbringers recently, and it's retroactively in my top 5 games for 2019.
I finished Shadowbringers in April and I have to agree, it is fantastic. The main theme itself is even better than Answers and Dragonsong.

Also love the changes to the classes. Liked tanking as a Paladin before, but now it feels even better. More options to play with.

Routa

Non-Stop MMO Searcher
Dec 22, 2018
I noticed FF11 is on sale. Gonna see how much I can get done in the 30-day trial period. I haven't played it seriously since original release, interested to see how it changed.

Most recently I was playing a modded version of Ultima Online. Very fun!

tet666

Dec 21, 2018
I love FFXIV for the story content but i never stick around for the dull endgame. I'm putting a lot of time into ESO lately and it feels very fresh, everywhere i go are players and the open world is alive, there are always tons of things to do.
Open world was always pretty much dead in FFXIV since there is nothing to do there apart from a few hunts and Fates no one really does these days, i really missed it. Quests are pretty great and generally have good writing even side quests. This will definitely hold me over till the next FFXIV xpack.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I love FFXIV for the story content but i never stick around for the dull endgame. I'm putting a lot of time into ESO lately and it feels very fresh, everywhere i go are players and the open world is alive, there are always tons of things to do.
Open world was always pretty much dead in FFXIV since there is nothing to do there apart from a few hunts and Fates no one really does these days, i really missed it. Quests are pretty great and generally have good writing even side quests. This will definitely hold me over till the next FFXIV xpack.
I didn't play TESO, but I think one of the great mysteries of our time is how Bethesda didn't follow the same formula for Fallout.

tet666

Dec 21, 2018
I didn't play TESO, but I think one of the great mysteries of our time is how Bethesda didn't follow the same formula for Fallout.
Well they didn't really have anything to do with it, ESO is from Zenimax online studios and not Bethesda.
It generally shows writing is often a good bit above what modern Bethesda puts out especially the chapters.

• Toucan

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
My MMO role is the loner.

I want people to be around but I don't really want to group with nor communicate with people. I think having other players around really fills out the world and the gameplay. Disappointed that MMOs became mostly so solo-unfriendly after EQ1.

Fluffynov

I worship Godd Howard
Dec 9, 2018

I want people to be around but I don't really want to group with nor communicate with people. I think having other players around really fills out the world and the gameplay. Disappointed that MMOs became mostly so solo-unfriendly after EQ1.
that's an interesting perspective. I personally feel they've evolved in the exact opposite direction of what you're describing. Looking at the more recent games that don the "MMO" tag, I've noticed that a lot of the stuff can be done solo or with minimal interaction between real players. Sure, you will still have to queue up with real players but there's almost no communication required aside from raids and content that heavily relies on communication so most of the time it's essentially like you're playing with bots. The day-to-day content and the way to the endgame content can mostly be done solo and it's what keeps me from enjoying the genre as much as I used to when there was basically no way around interacting with other players.

Reactions: Dandy and low-G

Linkark07

IDKFA
Apr 18, 2019

Well, like Fluffynov said, I hardly interact with the other party members when I'm running a dungeon. "Hi" at beginning and "Thx for the run" at the end most of the time. And outside of instanced content, there is hardly any interaction with other players.

Reactions: low-G
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Speaking from my experience, the biggest offender is private channels. While most people seem to be silent and do their own business, they actually chat a lot in their own circles, whether it's a fixed party or a guild.

Reactions: Linkark07 and low-G

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
that's an interesting perspective. I personally feel they've evolved in the exact opposite direction of what you're describing. Looking at the more recent games that don the "MMO" tag, I've noticed that a lot of the stuff can be done solo or with minimal interaction between real players. Sure, you will still have to queue up with real players but there's almost no communication required aside from raids and content that heavily relies on communication so most of the time it's essentially like you're playing with bots. The day-to-day content and the way to the endgame content can mostly be done solo and it's what keeps me from enjoying the genre as much as I used to when there was basically no way around interacting with other players.
Well, like Fluffynov said, I hardly interact with the other party members when I'm running a dungeon. "Hi" at beginning and "Thx for the run" at the end most of the time. And outside of instanced content, there is hardly any interaction with other players.
For me the turning point was when dungeons began being instanced with groups, such that many of them became impossible to solo. Like in Everquest, if you have a few extra levels, and a dungeon is populated, it's viable to go in there and solo stuff if you're careful. It's basically Dark Souls at that point. Can't do that if you have miles of mobs to manage.

Grouping up takes so long and I feel bad for disbanding after 20 minutes if I feel like or need to do something else. I only spent a single time of my life willing to put hours into MMOs daily.

Also I just like not being dependent on others in a game, or basically being a lone wolf. In FPS, I love when its a viable strategy to go off on my own away from my team and flank or circle the enemy team, both disrupting their focus and weakening them.

Speaking from my experience, the biggest offender is private channels. While most people seem to be silent and do their own business, they actually chat a lot in their own circles, whether it's a fixed party or a guild.
Yeah and being in the guild was the one time I put in those big MMO hours (in EQ) because socialization became fun. Well there was ONE fun person in my guild anyways.

Fluffynov

I worship Godd Howard
Dec 9, 2018
For me the turning point was when dungeons began being instanced with groups, such that many of them became impossible to solo. Like in Everquest, if you have a few extra levels, and a dungeon is populated, it's viable to go in there and solo stuff if you're careful. It's basically Dark Souls at that point. Can't do that if you have miles of mobs to manage.

Grouping up takes so long and I feel bad for disbanding after 20 minutes if I feel like or need to do something else. I only spent a single time of my life willing to put hours into MMOs daily.

Also I just like not being dependent on others in a game, or basically being a lone wolf. In FPS, I love when its a viable strategy to go off on my own away from my team and flank or circle the enemy team, both disrupting their focus and weakening them.

Yeah and being in the guild was the one time I put in those big MMO hours (in EQ) because socialization became fun. Well there was ONE fun person in my guild anyways.
Oh yeah I don't like instanced dungeons either. Open world dungeons solve these issues, you're right. I like them because they're exhilarating in an open-world PVP context where you're fighting mobs but also need to pay attention to other players. However, they're also great when you're on your own and can team up with other players while not having to commit to a party or -as in your case- when you prefer to tackle them on your own.

I liked ArcheAge in that regard as it had both instanced and open world dungeons. I think black desert also only has open-world dungeons iirc or maybe they've introduced some ever since I stopped following the game.

Linkark07

IDKFA
Apr 18, 2019
Agree with this. These days I hardly talk with anyone, even in a guild, but back when I played WoW in BC era and Cata era, the guilds were the reason I played so much. Of course, as soon as those guilds disbanded, I also cancelled my subscription and left the game.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
I like PSO2's approach to instanced dungeons.
Dungeons can have a max of 4, 8 or 12 players depending on the type of dungeon, and players can go into those in parties of up to 4 members, or even alone.
For example, in this boss fight, I'm alone in my own "party" fighting together with 11 other players that are on their own parties (be it alone as well or in groups of up to 4).

Though, PSO2 can only get away with doing this since it's an action RPG, there's no must have roles like tank/dps/healer, and while there's still support classes, each class is self sufficient.

Last edited:
Reactions: texhnolyze
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
V4, a new PC and mobile MMO with cross-platform play, is launching soon, on July 22. The game, which is set in the demon-plagued land of Syllunas, features six classes to choose from (Enchantress, Slayer, Knight, Warlord, Gunslinger, BoomBlade) and over 50 customization options for personalizing your character. Players on PC and mobile will be able to team up and play together, or against one another.
GameSpot has an exclusive one-shot trailer for the game's launch, which you can see below. It shows, through a continuous shot, various conflicts erupting over Syllunas, and several instances of PvE combat. It's a cinematic look at how this world is put together, and the kind of battles players will be able to take part in--while also showing some more peaceful moments of players gathering together before they ride into what looks like a huge PvP battle as one unit.

Here's the official website: V4

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
A few days ago when all the FF 14 talk came up, I said I found it boring when I tried it some time ago. Somehow I completely missed that this talk came up because of the demo extension.
So in the end I did try it again. And I'm actually enjoying it now :thinking-face:

I also did remember that aside from finding it "boring", there was a bigger reason why I dropped it a year ago: a completely random and almost always occuring crash when starting the game that I simply couldn't find a fix for. And when you have to start the game like 20 times everytime you just want to play then yeah..., combine that with my general disinterest in tab-targeting combat and quests that pretty much were just "help those farmers by constantly running back and forth across the map" (I played until level 10 at the time), it was easy to just drop it.

Well, I actually found a fix for that issue, and what an obscure thing it turned out to be 😵
Apparently it was caused by a single registry entry that was set by GeDoSaTo and caused those issues even if I haven't used GeDoSaTo in years (because DSR became a thing). Reddit post in case anyone runs into the same god forsaken maddening problem. What a bizarre thing.

I've switched from Arcanist to Rogue, which I seem to enjoy more, and the story has also been becoming more interesting (Just met the admiral in Limsa Lominsa and saw that cool "prophecy" cutscene. Might also have been a change in my state of mind compared to a year ago, who knows.
So yeah, I'll probably be playing this leisurely again for some time 🤞

Also here's my character:

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Ascheroth What server are you on?
I played FFXIV solidly for a good few months but then dropped off when i kinda burned out on it and am at the point at the start of the game where i have to do dungeons to progress. I still want to go back when i see my screenshots in rotation on my desktop at work and my Login and wallpaper at home are my FFXIV character celebrating. I also still login now and then to Moogle Station just to ping my account and consider resubbing for a while.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I'm in my yearly why nit restart FF14 phase. I fear that won't happen as I'm quite fed up with replaying the first part of the game, but what server are you on people ?

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
y'all should wait til the 11th if you can before joining back, that's when the "a realm reborn" 1-50 is being streamlined in a much nicer way.

i'm tacoface delicioso on na-sargatanas though so come say hi

Reactions: texhnolyze

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Ascheroth What server are you on?
I played FFXIV solidly for a good few months but then dropped off when i kinda burned out on it and am at the point at the start of the game where i have to do dungeons to progress. I still want to go back when i see my screenshots in rotation on my desktop at work and my Login and wallpaper at home are my FFXIV character celebrating. I also still login now and then to Moogle Station just to ping my account and consider resubbing for a while.
Ashe Lumina on Phoenix, currently level 17.

Last edited:
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
y'all should wait til the 11th if you can before joining back, that's when the "a realm reborn" 1-50 is being streamlined in a much nicer way.

i'm tacoface delicioso on na-sargatanas though so come say hi
This. Wait for the August 11th update.