Community Movies/Shows you have seen recently or looking forward to...

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
I'm not the only one! What a bonkers art direction and cinematography this mess of a film had.

Though even as I say this, I think the only sin it really had for me was that the story was completely forgettable.
Eddie Redmayne is the biggest weakness for me, plus Sean Bean didn't die at the end.

teezzy

formerly 'deftones r cool'
Apr 19, 2019

Le Mepris, is arguably Godard's best work, and shadows the infamous auteur's struggles with his own romantic relationship with a certain Anna Karina and troubling tiffs of working within the studio system. Is Godard a god? No, he is but a man. A man just like Michel Piccoli who plays the lead role in this film. Brigitte Bardot is stunning as she sulks about, angered at our film's protagonist. The tale of a relationship which has seen better days and the unnecessary drama which develops within said relationship is on full display here. Also, Fritz Lang playing himself in the film will never get old to me. I recall an interview with Fritz Lang, Godard did once, where Lang asked Godard why it was that he moved the camera around an entire room during a scene, rather than focusing on the main characters, and Godard said something to the effect of, "maybe I'm just interested in the whole picture." I'll never forget that. This film is a stunning, tbh.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
I saw First Man last night. My library has a section of "in branch only" recently released DVDs called a "Lucky Day" collection. Cringey but hey, you could drop by and get a DVD of Avengers Endgame (no thanks). Despite it only being a DVD, this thing popped. The cinematography is beautiful despite the view of being frequently terrifying. Its based on a memoir of Neil Armstrong, however the Director freely admits that this film isn't based completely on reality (beyond what is apparently a very accurate depiction of the technology of the era/60s spaceprogram) So, I'd take it as a counterpoint to The Right Stuff. The right stuff is, on a whole, a lighter and slightly humorous take on the risks and terror of space flight, while First Man just presents them, unflinchingly. The Gemni 8 launch and the Moon landing are two amazing, edge of your seat scenes, in the right kind of way. Not some kind of contrived "HOLD MUH SPOILERS BC GIANT CORPS PAWN POSTSED SOMETHING CUTE ON TWITTER AND THANOS WILL GET ME" but "imagine you're there, flirting on the edge of disaster, and even when you know that it will turn out right, you'll lose years off your life when you see just how close it came to going wrong"

There is a lot more I'd like to say, but this is getting long winded, go see it and cleanse your plates super hero shit for awhile.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I saw First Man last night. My library has a section of "in branch only" recently released DVDs called a "Lucky Day" collection. Cringey but hey, you could drop by and get a DVD of Avengers Endgame (no thanks). Despite it only being a DVD, this thing popped. The cinematography is beautiful despite the view of being frequently terrifying. Its based on a memoir of Neil Armstrong, however the Director freely admits that this film isn't based completely on reality (beyond what is apparently a very accurate depiction of the technology of the era/60s spaceprogram) So, I'd take it as a counterpoint to The Right Stuff. The right stuff is, on a whole, a lighter and slightly humorous take on the risks and terror of space flight, while First Man just presents them, unflinchingly. The Gemni 8 launch and the Moon landing are two amazing, edge of your seat scenes, in the right kind of way. Not some kind of contrived "HOLD MUH SPOILERS BC GIANT CORPS PAWN POSTSED SOMETHING CUTE ON TWITTER AND THANOS WILL GET ME" but "imagine you're there, flirting on the edge of disaster, and even when you know that it will turn out right, you'll lose years off your life when you see just how close it came to going wrong"

There is a lot more I'd like to say, but this is getting long winded, go see it and cleanse your plates super hero shit for awhile.
It was an amazingly well-shot and lit movie. I think that while Apollo 13 absolutely nailed the technicalities and is an incredibly well-paced piece, First Man completely captures the aesthetic of space flight and the era. The cinematography made me take screenshots throughout and, while I don't agree with the characterization of Aldrin and Armstrong, I can't help but be awed at how good it looks.

Last edited:

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
It was an amazingly well-shot and lit movie. I think that while Apollo 13 absolutely nailed the technicalities and is an incredibly well-paced piece, First Man completely captures the aesthetic of space flight and the era. The cinematography made me take screenshots throughout and, while I don't agree with the characterization of Aldrin and Armstrong, I can't help but be awed at how good it looks.

This movie pops. It would pop on a 480p stream on youtube.

I kind of went into the movie with the knowledge that these are not intended to be exact portrayals but I wasn't disappointed by how Buzz and Neil were portrayed. This, more than any other movie I've seen covering the space race, made it clear just how difficult, dangerous and insane this moonshot was. Death and failure hung around the program daily, as the scene with Neil testing a lunar landing vehicle showed. Some people shut down and become cold to keep their focus. Plenty of people have no tact and would rather you give it to them as straight as they'd give it to you.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I just watched the first episode of Carnival Row, and I love it. Visually it's stunning, the world is really interesting and I like the story that is starting to unfold! I have a feeling I'll binge it all this weekend.

Edit: 8.5 hours later...

That was great! Can't wait for season 2.

Last edited:

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Though the reviews seem great for joker so I'm hyped!

Started watching legion season 3 and wow it's even more crazy, I can't really grasp at anything and all is like nonsense but I'm still into it more than season 2.

teezzy

Apr 19, 2019

Refreshingly cynical and mean spirited. I've been howling with laughter.

Making my way through Series 1.

Reactions: dummmyy

teezzy

Apr 19, 2019
I adore the way Extras lets its protagonists just hang there and bleed in the social awkwardness. Nothing to catch them; no saving grace.

It's golden.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

teezzy

Apr 19, 2019

American Beauty

Watched for the first time in years. When DVDs were huge, American Beauty was my jam. Spacey steals every scene he's in as Lester, a man frustrated with his position in life. Not amused by his upscale surroundings which fail to fulfill his primal sense of purpose. Ignored by his wife and hated by his teen daughter, Lester yearns for a release, which he projects onto his daughter's friend, Angela.
Which is why Lester fails to commit once he finally obtains his obsession. He saw the dissonance between him and his muse. He realized where he was in life, and ultimately this whole delusion may have rooted in Lester's frustration with his lack of a relationship with his own daughter. I wonder what may have happened to these characters, had Lester not been shot in the end. I'd like to think he'd have left his cheating wife, and made his best attempt to become a proper father figure for his daughter, who claimed to be craving such.

The roses within Lester's fantasises may have also symbolized his wife's ruse of success standing in the way of him forming a healthy bond with his daughter. Especially given his wife's roses being so important to her despite her familial adversity.

Ultimately, a wonderful film which you could genuinely analyze for hours between each character's interweaving arc.

Last edited:

Firewithin

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018
Dark Crystal looks amazing and its wonderous how they made. that being said i need to pick better times to watch because i keep falling asleep

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
I'm not an anime kind of person (only enjoyed Pokemon and Death Note), but I started watching Evangelion last week. Last night I finished episode 12, and I'm enjoying the show a lot more than I expected. That said, it has a lot of gratuitous fanservice, with lingering shots of character's bottoms or in suggestive positions, but the rest is good.

Oh, and those cicada noises are the worst! Someone got reaaaally carried away with it, putting it in every single outdoor scene.

Reactions: Kvik

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I hope you'll enjoy the rest. EVA is such a seminal work and brought a lot of people (including yours truly) into anime fandom all those years ago.

That said, it has a lot of gratuitous fanservice, with lingering shots of character's bottoms or in suggestive positions, but the rest is good.
There's definitely an argument to be made of how fanservice in Eva is meant to accentuate Shinji's adolesence and how he view his relationship with women in his life. On the other hand, due to Asuka's age, for example, these concerns are entirely valid and something which anime in general has been plagued with since time immemorial. Don't let it deter you from watching though, there are plenty of aspects of EVA which elevates it higher than most other series.

Reactions: RionaaM

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
I rewatched The Matrix for the first time in more than a decade and I have to say that I don't think that the fourth film is going to work for one reason, The Matrix is a uniquely "end of millenium" kind of movie. Everything that works in the film works because it was placed in a time when the internet was a relatively obscure thing, skyscrapper sized phones were all the rage and end of the world paranoia was at the all time high. While it still largely remains an eye candy and fight choreography is great I don't think that thematically it bears the same relevance it once had.

What do you guys think are other films that belong squarely to a certain place in time?

Reactions: Samson

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
So, I slept through Dark Phoenix yesterday, on one hand it seems that Kinberg is capable of delivering decent action sequences (Quicksilver scenes are complete trash tho), on the other he is incapable of delivering anything else. Actors are desinterested, dialogue isn't even always functional, Zimmer's drone is boring and Sophie Turner acting is worse than at least half of the "actors" in our school plays. Thanks for a good nap tho.

BO7AMMOOD

Lucas isn't sure what to do anymore
Apr 18, 2019
finally checked out john wick 3. was pretty good. mark dacascos was a highlight. very vibrant movie too
I loved it! I think it might even be my favorite movie of the year. It certainly was the most fun at least.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Watched the first episode of Another Life on Netflix, since I'm a huge fan of SF and Katee Sackhoff (Battlestar Galactica). I was rather disappointed; somehow it looks like they've put the characters of Beverly Hills 90210 on a spaceship to save the world. Quality of visual effects is hit or miss. And some of the conversations are so cliché that I had to restrain myself from fast-forwarding. I will give it another chance tonight; after all, Lost in Space became very decent after a few terrible episodes.

American Beauty
That's one of my favorite movies ever! :love:

And Mena Suvari is sooo cute :giggle:

Reactions: teezzy

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
I'm glad that Chernobyl won Emmy for the best limited series, but holy shit When They See Us fans are so salty they act like their show lost to some telenovella about Don Juan and his 35 kids who find out about each other's existence on a day of his funeral.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I've finished the 1st season of Another Life on Netflix.

What. The. Fuck.

I can't possibly understand that Netflix funded a series with such ridiculous characters and story.

Do yourself a favor and don't waste your time on this crap.

Reactions: Stevey

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
The first Clerks is a masterpiece, but Twin Peaks is the best TV show ever made

Reactions: lashman

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
I was rewatching some of the Cameron's movies this week and while I'll always be a fan of his pre True Lies works there's something I recently noticed, his dialogue writing is really fucking terrible, like, it would've ended up in a garbage bin of any other writer/director of his caliber (maybe with the exception of Lucas or Wachowskis). It's a real testament to his directing skills that his films are that good even with the writing like that.

z1ggy

No Anime
Apr 17, 2019
Watched Joker yesterday, great movie and Joaquin is incredible. Points to the soundtrack, it´s pretty good.

Not as subversive as i thought it would be tho.

teezzy

Apr 19, 2019
Watched Joker yesterday, great movie and Joaquin is incredible. Points to the soundtrack, it´s pretty good.

Not as subversive as i thought it would be tho.
Next weekend for me, it is. I kinda wanna go now, but I fear I'm too worn from yardwork and may doze off in the theater.