Community Movies/Shows you have seen recently or looking forward to...

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
I bit the bullet and I got a month of Shudder for the season. If anyone has any rec's, I'll take 'em.

Looking forward to seeing Little Monsters tomorrow on Hulu. Zombies, comedy, Evil Tv personalities, beautiful ladies, can't ask for more in a horror comedy.

Reactions: Pommes

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
I watched the El Camino Breaking Bad movie. As a fan of the series I really liked it. Will maybe write something more when I am on my computer tomorrow in several hours

Reactions: Spamlynguist

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Think I have to go see Joker again this weekend. I think it's the best comic book movie but tied as my favorite next to Endgame. I wish the DCU started with Joker and all the movies managed to do what that did. It would have been such good complement to the MCU, instead of both trying to do the same thing and where the DCU fails miserably.

Reactions: BoosterDuck

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Speaking of violence and rich people (and great movies), you should all watch Parasite by Bong Joon-Ho if you have the chance. Such a brilliant movie.

My favorite movies of the past 4-5 years are all Korean (The Handmaiden, The Wailing, Burning and now Parasite) and I highly recommend them all. Just to recommend something not Korean, you should also watch Shoplifters (which is Japanese) and Leviathan (which is Russian). All kinda similar in themes but very different in execution.

Just some random suggestions that crossed my mind.

Spamlynguist

I can never decide on an avatar
Dec 31, 2018
Decided to re-watch Avatar: The Last Airbender today. I forgot how much I love this show, seriously great stuff.

Reactions: BoosterDuck

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Welp, just bought tickets to The Rise of Skywalker on IMAX 2D.

I hope there won't be a lot of kids in this particular time slot I've chosen (who am I kidding, it's Star Wars)

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Seis Manos Ep. 6
YOU FILTHY IRREDEEMABLE BASTARD

OH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Decided to re-watch Avatar: The Last Airbender today. I forgot how much I love this show, seriously great stuff.
I should rewatch it someday :3 Do consider giving the comic series a read since they act as interesting continuation to the series.

Welp, just bought tickets to The Rise of Skywalker on IMAX 2D.

I hope there won't be a lot of kids in this particular time slot I've chosen (who am I kidding, it's Star Wars)
I still don't get what's the big deal with Star Wars to this day.
Nor what kids would see in it. Then again it is vanilla cookie cutter.
Kids should watch Doctor Who instead. Now THAT is quality sci fi.

Last edited:

Deleted member 113

I fucking hate Disney:

If this crap continues, very soon it will be next to impossible to watch films that weren't made in the last 20 years.
After all the crap Disney does (or, doesn't do, to be more precise) with their older titles, this was bound to happen as well with the catalogues of the studios they bought.
And, many of those studios already owned whole libraries of titles from other older studios under their wing, so this is a disaster.

As a film lover, this is very depressing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
I fucking hate Disney:

If this crap continues, very soon it will be next to impossible to watch films that weren't made in the last 20 years.
After all the crap Disney does (or, doesn't do, to be more precise) with their older titles, this was bound to happen as well with the catalogues of the studios they bought.
And, many of those studios already owned whole libraries of titles from other older studios under their wing, so this is a disaster.

As a film lover, this is very depressing.
Disney isn't your friend and isn't out there protecting and preserving art. They do have a great pr machine and excellent social media support.

Not gonna let the Disney boogey man live rent free in my head though. Disney can't control everything.

The other major studios and film corps would/are doing this too, they can get away with it.

Last edited:

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I still don't get what's the big deal with Star Wars to this day.
Nor what kids would see in it. Then again it is vanilla cookie cutter.
Kids should watch Doctor Who instead. Now THAT is quality sci fi.
Personally it's more because of nostalgia more than anything else. Although I wasn't as invested in the series as much as Blade Runner, for example, I still feel the need to see this series to its conclusion. I'm not sure myself why. I enjoyed the original trilogy since it's a part of my childhood, but I'm mostly lukewarm on the rest. I enjoyed Rouge One a whole lot more than other people, though. :02shrug:

Reactions: Tizoc

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Saw The Conjuring 2 last night. Damn that was good. I forgot what a genuinely well acted and cleverly scary horror film was like! This season I've seen balls to wall strange and unusual (Mandy, Society and Inferno), classics (The Blob, Black Christmas, Hammer horror shit) but nothing that put me on edge. I missed that.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I just saw Parasite and I really want to echo the recommendations made above. Go watch it, it's an amazing film.

Reactions: lashman

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Black Lightning Season 3 continues to be great
This gif sums it up

Also this guy

Bill Duke, why you gotta be such an ass in this show

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
So I’ve tried this AppleTV+ thing (1 month is pretty cheap and I have 1 free week anyway) and I’m so going to watch that trainwreck called See. How the hell the show so dumb was written by one of the best tv writers working today (and Oscar nominee to boot) is beyond me, but if you’re in the mood to watch blind people being ninjas while dancing Haka (what’s the point, your adversary can’t see you) the show is for you. Apple clearly paid a lot for this show tho, production values are pretty high, so at least it’s not as bad as Canadian shows on SyFy that look like they were shot in the abandoned warehouse somewhere in British Columbia.

Speaking of other shows, For All Mankind looks interesting, but I’m not really sure what direction it’s supposed to take, we’ll see.

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
I was lucky enough to have The Irishman shown in theater where I live (where this kind of stuff usually never happens) so I went and saw it.

It really is the quintessential Scorsese's movie, with many elements borrowed from his previous gangster films. Maybe not as visionary as his works of the 70's, 80's and 90's but still a masterclass in cinematography. Very good both in form and content. I highly recommend watching it if you usually like his movies.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

teezzy

formerly 'deftones r cool'
Apr 19, 2019
Watched Breaking Bad in its entirety for the first time, and Super Size Me 2.

Good stuff

Reactions: Trisolarian

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Gotta say, Mandalorian looks great, and I never cared about SW to begin with. Too bad I won't be able to legally watch it for the next 2 years.

Reactions: Kvik

Deleted member 113

Have you got yours yet, FunktionJCB ?
Not yet.

Since I'm located in Europe, and since I had plenty of problems with shipments from Amazon.com, when the UK set was announced I cancelled my US pre-order, and pre-ordered the UK set (which is out later this month). :)

Reactions: Kvik

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
FUCK DISNEY. FUCK DISNEY PLUS. FUCK THE CORPORATE CULTURAL HOLD THOSE FUCKS HAVE ON AMERICA. FUCK. YOU.

No lie, any adult buying Disney plus and dropping Netflix, I guess you dgaf about an important part of your culture being fucking steamrolled by cookie cutter sanitized bullshit and the same company that suspended and fired people from ESPN over a "stick to sports policy". The same thing we all cheered Deadspin's staff for fighting against, ESPN rolled the fuck over. I guess you don't care that seven of the top ten grossing films, at least, will be Disney movies, that Disney is full on sanitizing its content for access to restrictive cultural markets the world over. If you're an adult, is your nostalgia that fucking important? It reminds me of something I read once, that in the far future humans could transfer their consciousness into robots to survive the heat death of the universe but could over think the same thoughts over and over again.

God I hate them. And Disney defenders, just shut up and take the fucking win huh? Fuck me, will you not be satisfied until Disney has 10 films in a year that do over a Billion world wide? When they put Netflix out of business? Fuck Disney.

Yes, the endless shit about Disney plus has set me off this morning and idgaf what you think. I heard it on the radio, I heard it in person, its all over the place. Fuck off Disney.

Reactions: teezzy and lashman

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Anyone surprised that Disney didn' t give a single solitary fuck and just passed off garbage versions of the classic simpsons, smeary hd, cropped to fuck and with shitty new lettering?? No one? Really, I thought Disney was supposed to be the fucking SAVIORS of film/tv preservation with their VAULT and PRESERVATION!!!

Lol fuck Disney Plus. I'm sure the slop is in fine quality but a series that actually, believe it or not, at one time. meant something they treat it like garbage.

teezzy

formerly 'deftones r cool'
Apr 19, 2019
Really enjoying Better Call Saul. Odenkirk makes for such a hilarious slimeball!

*hides my Mickey Mouse oven mitts from Jkm23 *

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Gotta say, Mandalorian looks great, and I never cared about SW to begin with. Too bad I won't be able to legally watch it for the next 2 years.
I saw the first episode last night, and it is looking very good indeed. Anamorphic aspect ratio, production values went through the roof. I can't help feeling that The Mandalorian himself is kind of a "silent protagonist" since he hardly talk except for a one-liner here and there. It had an interesting hook at the end though, so I think I'll keep watching for a bit.

Not yet.

Since I'm located in Europe, and since I had plenty of problems with shipments from Amazon.com, when the UK set was announced I cancelled my US pre-order, and pre-ordered the UK set (which is out later this month). :)
I had a scare since Amazon AU practically smashed the parcel since it's ripped apart around its edges, but thankfully it's double-packed with some air bags. :02eyes:

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
So the new Harley animated series, based on the latest trailer
Concept sounds promising but execution...a lot of it just comes off as catering to lowest common denominator. You can have gore and vulgarity but doing it in excess makes the series come off droll and tasteless.
I still intend to watch it through it, and give my judgement on it, but that trailer is not instilling much confidence.

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Finally watched Joker tonight (the nearby cinema had an evening screening for 2 dollars, so what the hell). Beautifully shot, wonderfully acted, absolutely pointless and shallow film whose creators think they’re making some sort of revelation when in fact even Joel Schumacher had more interesting (at least more fun) movie on basically the same topic almost 30 years ago (think it was called Falling Down). I’m glad it makes the bank tho, because of it studios might greenlit more risky productions.

Deleted member 113

Finally watched Joker tonight (the nearby cinema had an evening screening for 2 dollars, so what the hell). Beautifully shot, wonderfully acted, absolutely pointless and shallow film whose creators think they’re making some sort of revelation when in fact even Joel Schumacher had more interesting (at least more fun) movie on basically the same topic almost 30 years ago (think it was called Falling Down). I’m glad it makes the bank tho, because of it studios might greenlit more risky productions.
Sadly, I'd have to agree.
The film looks great (lovely 70's look), Joaquin Phoenix gives a great performance, the nods to King of Comedy where kind of clever, and... that's basically it.
I felt it really didn't go anywhere. It's interesting, considering it's supposed to be a DC/Comic entry of sorts, but I felt like I've seen this before, and better done.

Great trailers, though. :)

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I haven't been tempted to dish out hyperbole in a while, but The Mandalorian feels like the best thing that has happened to SW in a long time. Perhaps since TESB if the rest of the seasons hold up to the implicit promises those amazing two episodes hold.

I couldn't not have goosebumps as the baby did his thing. These episodes were so subtle. Countless throwbacks to things like disintegration, yet none of them bonked over our head while shouting "DID YOU SEE THAT THING FROM THE OT?". The movies from Disney almost all lacked that note of respect for our intelligence. What's more, it introduces new lore without articulating everything about it agonizingly and instead leaves things unsaid.

Mystery, subtlety and restraint are wonderful things SW hasn't had in a long time.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Saw "I am Mother" last night. I liked it a lot, but the ending was a bit too "open" for me. I had to Google to understand what actually happened.

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
I too watched Joker recently and, while I can’t say I disliked it, I didn‘t really enjoy it.

It’s a very competent piece of entertainment cinema, nicely directed, well-paced and with great to brilliant photography. But it’s also extremely derivative to the point that you question what’s the point of watching it if you‘ve already seen the movies it tries to emulate and I think it tries too hard to wear the clothes of art cinema with some sort of criticism of social inequality and mental health but it fails gloriously when it tries to do so, with a bunch of simplistic and honestly quite cringy lines that seem straight up borrowed from an Internet board from the early 2000’s.

But it‘s still a competent and watchable movie, up until the last 30 or so minutes.

From the moment the guy become The Joker, the movie falls apart completely.

The scene in the TV studio is plain bad both as storytelling and as screenwriting. We have a guy screaming and kicking, out of his mind, on live TV with a TV anchor, up to that point presented as someone who has complete control on his guests, who fails do to or say anything and just let him go on and on and on. I get this is fiction and I also get this might have been intended to depict a TV show where everything is allowed as long as it‘s entertaining but it sort of collides with the rest of the movie.

And, from a pure screenwriting prospective, what was the point of that monologue? We have the Joker explaining us the rest of the movie we just saw point by point with no deeper meaning or anything added, just a pointless “in the previous episode” of what happened up to that point like if we dozed off or something.

And then the scene with people rioting in the streets. Sure... it looks good but... why? What’s the context of that? What led to this? Are we really supposed to believe that the simple shooting of three people by a guy dressed as a clown led to riots? Just like the flip of a switch? No further world building needed? I mean, OK... I guess...

So... eh... It’s decent, but it doesn‘t live up to the hype they (successfully, seeing how it went at the box office) tried to build.

Stellar performance by Phoenix and it really looks like De Niro’s acting has found a new youth.

----------------------------------------------------

In other news. If you like slow, bleak, hopeless, long-ass Asian cinema, do yourself a favor and watch An Elephant Sitting Still. It's glorious. It went straight into my all-time favorite list. It's available on the Criterion Channel in the US (can be activated, subscribed to and watched through VPN worldwide).

Last edited: