Community New music / recommendations

Luminaire

별이 빛나는 하늘
Feb 28, 2019
Dustcell
Lazy
Pop / Electronic
This song is really pretty. It has a lovely and relaxing beat the vocals are soothing with a heartfelt tone to them.

Heaven Shall Burn
Protector / Weakness Leaving My Heart
Melodic Death Metal
I've always liked HSB and have been very happy with the albums they've been putting out. Such intensity and ferocity mixed with expert muscianship that continually evolves. This one is a double song/vid, hence the length. I eagerly await the new album.

CY8ER
東京ラットシティ
Pop / Electronic
I've been listening to CY8ER since Mashiro (SHACHI) joined a few years back. It's been fun to see how they grow and change. One thing they've always kept is a very heavy electronic sound that's the backbone of their music.

Shepherds Reign
Le Manu
Metal / Groove Metal
I just stumbled across this band and they seem really cool. They're five brothers who mix many South Asian, New Zealand, and Polynesian themes to create both a powerful tone and melody.

Yanakoto Sotto Mute
レイライン
Pop / Alt
I really love everything this group does. They have a bit of a grungy sound mixed with high energy pop and a very art-centric vibe to them (especially live). I was curious where they'd go when one of their vocalists was fired/let go/left, but it seems like it gave the others a bit more freedom. The one who left wasn't a particularly strong or notable vocalist, so her replacement should hopefully shine. The remaining three have incredibly strong vocals and I've enjoyed how they continue to get better with each song, album, and year.

Messgram
Pittsburgh (Cover, originally by The Amity Affliction)
Pop / Metalcore
I don't normally post covers (or care too much for them) but this group was too good not to share. They're a metal band from South Korea who are trying to break through in an industry drowned by kpop (of which I'm a fan and probably am not helping.) Their clean vocalist has a wonderful voice and energy to her and the rest of the band is quite dynamic and talented. I'm hopeful they'll put out an original album again soon as it seems the last one was in 2016.

BiSH
Promise the Star (Live)
Pop / Rock / Alt-Idol
BiSH has been a strong proponent of the "fuck corporate idol" movement for a long while now. While their label is bizarre (such as creating rival groups of their own bands) there's a method to the madness and it shows. With how much creative control the groups have (often leading to groups breaking up due to differences), BiSH has shown that strong, like-minded individuals can create beauty together. Two of their vocalists are incredibly exceptional, especially AiNA The End (red hair). I only tend to post live videos when I think the performance is strong and this one's no exception.

Infected Rain
Black Gold
Metalcore / Groove Metal
This group has a very Jinjer-esque vibe to them, albeit more early Jinjer. It's certainly atmospheric and has a nice evolution to it. The growls feel very much the focus, which is a plus. There's a grungy, dirty sound to the instruments that is a bit refreshing, especially since I've yet to hear any djenty djent djent djenty djent djent sounds. I'll have to dig through their back catalog as I like what I hear.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
In 2004, Erin Moran AKA A Girl Called Eddy released her debut solo album to quite some critical acclaim. Over the years I checked whether she would record another one, but no such luck for a very long time.
Indeed, it took her a while to release the follow-up, but the 16-year-wait was worth it. "Been around" is a brilliant album. Soulful, sometimes jazzy, always featuring a rich sound surrounding Erins captivating voice, always seeping melody and melancholy. I just hope the next one won't take another 16 years.

Here's the original album "A Girl Called Eddy" from 2004:

And here's "Been around" from 2020:

Here's a video, "Someone's gonna break your Heart" from "Been around":

Here's my favourite track, "Two Hearts", also from "Been around":

BTW, there was also a collaboration record with Fugu in 2018, "The Last Detail":

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

ShadowAUS

Swooping Is Bad
Feb 21, 2019
Rural NSW
Been listening to a lot of Cold Chisel (A classic Australian pub rock band, up there with Australian greats like AC/DC, Inxs, Midnight Oil) since I'm taking my Mum to see them next week.

Edit:

Oh shit. And DOGMA showed up too. Wew.
Eyyy, Awich. Good taste! Her new album is killer for anyone that like J-HipHop.

Last edited:
OP

Deleted member 113

And with a single tweet, 2020 has turned into the best year in ages:

Who are Das Koolies?
It's a very long story, but it's basically an alter-ego of sorts for Welch band Super Furry Animals, a personal favourite, who released a single new track in a decade.

While making one of their albums, they had the idea of creating a fictional alternate band called Das Koolies, and they ended up supposedly recording a lost album.
Whatever is coming tomorrow, it's brand new, it's not old recordings.

OP

Deleted member 113

Who are Das Koolies?
It's a very long story, but it's basically an alter-ego of sorts for Welch band Super Furry Animals, a personal favourite, who released a single new track in a decade.

While making one of their albums, they had the idea of creating a fictional alternate band called Das Koolies, and they ended up supposedly recording a lost album.
As a follow-up to my own post, the "mystery" is now solved.

Basically, the rest of the Super Furry Animals members probably got tired of waiting for their lead singer to complete his endless solo projects and tours, and recorded music together under the Das Koolies name.

Here's the first single:

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018

Who are Das Koolies?

Heh, how did i ever guess that you'd be the one to post this link? lol! :blobheadset:

OP

Deleted member 113

There's a new Gorillaz single available, the first in a number of singles they will be releasing this year.

Sadly, I've mostly lost interest in the project after Humanz (which I found incredibly poor), but the song is somewhat catchy, and sounds a bit like late 70's/early 80's ska.

There's a making-of video, and the actual track:

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Saw this pop up earlier but didn't listen until now. I love the Gorillaz earlier work but yeah i wasn't too taken with Humanz. I like this new track and i'm always interested in what they're doing each time they resurface. I think i'll give Humanz another go as it's been a long time since i've listened to it.

Reactions: Deleted member 113
OP

Deleted member 113

Saw this pop up earlier but didn't listen until now. I love the Gorillaz earlier work but yeah i wasn't too taken with Humanz. I like this new track and i'm always interested in what they're doing each time they resurface. I think i'll give Humanz another go as it's been a long time since i've listened to it.
I'm not sure you'll change your mind on Humanz. ;)
I didn't even take the plastic off my cd copy. :giggle:
Yeah, that album is terrible. Outside of a couple of tracks (like Andromeda), it's a really lousy effort, and a far cry from Plastic Beach, and the previous albums.

Until then, the project was a refreshing combination of new and old artists, from different genres of music, with unlikely and sonically appealing results.
With Humanz, Damon decided to pursue the radio airplay he didn't get with Plastic Beach, by teaming up mostly with a few "talent of the day" artists, that nobody will remember or care about in a few years, and it ended up sounding like most crap you hear on the radio (or, to be more precise, most crap I end up skipping :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:).

The Now Now was easily better, but still a far cry from the first 3 albums.

At least this new track doesn't sound like generic r&b, which is surely a step in the right direction.

OP

Deleted member 113

For the older Meta members:

The Psychedelic Furs have a new single out, from their upcoming album, Made of Rain (their first album in 29 years!).