Community Photography - We Might Have a Thing for Light

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Nice shot! And holy cow, this is flat. I wonder whereabouts this was taken, feels northern europe-y :).
Yup.
This is the Torne River, pic was taken from our little light traffic bridge. :blobmorning2: I couldn't see shit when taking the pic so I'm glad it turned out fine. Need to dig out my sunglasses soon. 😎
Even though the bridge and the land masses it connect are in Finland, in the pic the right bank is Sweden and the left bank is Finland. 🇫🇮 🤝 🇸🇪

Reactions: Swenhir

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Hey I'm think of getting one of those fancy Sony alpha camera. I'm not sure which one to get though. I will likely end up getting it closer to the end of the year.

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Hey I'm think of getting one of those fancy Sony alpha camera. I'm not sure which one to get though. I will likely end up getting it closer to the end of the year.
You mean one of those Sony A cameras? I use the Sony A7 and I love it. You can get the A7 II for around 1000€, which was what I got the A7 for.

Reactions: PC-tan

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
You mean one of those Sony A cameras? I use the Sony A7 and I love it. You can get the A7 II for around 1000€, which was what I got the A7 for.
I was looking into potentially getting the a7 III

It looks pretty cool. One thing I would have to get though is a flash for it. With the photos that I take now on my Canon rebel t5 I don't really use the flash but it's there as an option. One of the things that I really wanted to do was geo location stuff that some camera can do like smartphones. Is there an add on that Sony makes that does that?

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I was looking into potentially getting the a7 III

It looks pretty cool. One thing I would have to get though is a flash for it. With the photos that I take now on my Canon rebel t5 I don't really use the flash but it's there as an option. One of the things that I really wanted to do was geo location stuff that some camera can do like smartphones. Is there an add on that Sony makes that does that?
Ah yes I dream of getting a A7 III!

For the location stuff, if you use Lightroom you can manually just geo tag it. Sure its not ideal but it can be fun to tag photo.

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Decided to get the A7 II, even though I already have the A7. I've been using it every day for years now, so I feel I really need a backup camera. The A7 II was just 1000€ and the A7 III is over 2000€ and that is quite a jump and would take me a few life times to save up.

The only plus I will now get is the image stabilisation, since I only shoot by hand, it is a nice welcome.

Reactions: Swenhir and lashman

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Decided to get the A7 II, even though I already have the A7. I've been using it every day for years now, so I feel I really need a backup camera. The A7 II was just 1000€ and the A7 III is over 2000€ and that is quite a jump and would take me a few life times to save up.

The only plus I will now get is the image stabilisation, since I only shoot by hand, it is a nice welcome.
Oh yes, VR makes those <1/50s shutter speeds practical. Definitively a worthy get, along with no doubt the better IQ and various embedded improvements.

Reactions: Le Pertti

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Le Pertti I was thinking of getting a light box for photography. The thing is that I want a pretty big one that is at least 36 inches or 90cm in all 3 dimensions.

I'm not too sure what too look for in a light box. The reason that I want one that big is because some of the stuff that I have (such as Lego) are that tall/big they may and I don't think I need to take a full capture of those things. Everything else that I will be taking pictures of should be smaller. But that is maybe where 50% of my photography will end up taking place, which also means that I will eventually have to get a tri-pod or something.

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Le Pertti I was thinking of getting a light box for photography. The thing is that I want a pretty big one that is at least 36 inches or 90cm in all 3 dimensions.

I'm not too sure what too look for in a light box. The reason that I want one that big is because some of the stuff that I have (such as Lego) are that tall/big they may and I don't think I need to take a full capture of those things. Everything else that I will be taking pictures of should be smaller. But that is maybe where 50% of my photography will end up taking place, which also means that I will eventually have to get a tri-pod or something.
Light boxes are quite simple really, its just a cube of white cloth that you shine a light on to get diffuse light. Even bigger ones should not be that expensive, at least don't go for the expensive ones. Think the bigger issue with bigger ones is to get enough light, you don't want a light source right next to it, it will behave more spot light.

About tripod, always good to have a tripod! I rarely use it but I am still glad to have one when I do need it.:)

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I think I'll try to use my iPhone camera more, I think it should yield good results, encourages me to take more pics with something I already own and use, and well, avoid buying expensive equipment that I don't know how to use.

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
NarohDethan using your phone for photography is definitely a good option! There is a saying, “the best camera is the one that you have with you. “

There was a time when I only used my oneplus 3t and some of those photos and some of the best I’ve taken.

• Comfy
Reactions: NarohDethan
OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I tried to figure out a long time just how I would showcase my work. Since there is so much, too much to put everything on my website, so I thought I would do it like a gallery, showcasing different series every two weeks.

I'm starting with cats! Because who doesn't love cats.:)

Check it out: www.pertti.fr

• Eyes
Reactions: Wok and NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
The one I have A7 isn’t that expensive. Only like 1000 euro at most, usually cheaper. But it is a bit old at this point. Even possible to find the version after that at the same price.
There’s a 7C on Amazon with an included lens but it’s almost $2500 x_x

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
It has a 28mm - 70mm lens for about $2200, from what I can remember that’s a very ‘standard’ one no?
Yeah that’s the standard. Considering the price it’s not too bad. The internals are the same as in A7 III. It’s like they cut of the viewfinder. Which I personally can’t live without.

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Yeah that’s the standard. Considering the price it’s not too bad. The internals are the same as in A7 III. It’s like they cut of the viewfinder. Which I personally can’t live without.
Oh this one would be the 7III

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Aaah thought you were talking about AC, but yeah A7 III is a hell yeah. I want one too so damn bad. There are rumours that A7 IV is close, that has been said for a year of something now haha, but either way when it comes price for the A7 III will go down.
Yeah it looks rad, can’t afford it though xD gotta save for my Mac!

• Gib
Reactions: Le Pertti

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
I'm not much of a photographer, but here are some shots I took around my house this weekend:

I'm using a Google Pixel 3, and as evident here 7x zoom doesn't bode too well. I'd seen this bird before and was finally able to identify it as a Pileated Woodpicker.

And finally, this majestic creature just happened to land right in front of me.

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019

This is 'the old camera' I was talking about. Right now it has the problem of not me not remembering where I left the data cable and the battery charger, I'd need to dig deeper into my old shit to see if they're there. It has been tucked away for years but I think the battery should be in good enough condition.

Reactions: Le Pertti and Wok
OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
It's sort of one of those things were I do one to get as good a body as I can because those are very expressive, and the lens is also very important but with the Sony ones you can swap them out.

So I want something that will last me years and that I will be focusing more on what lens to get and stuff rather then regretting on the body of the camera.

I see that all of the cameras that I mentioned have all of these features and stuff but maybe I don't need all of those. I was looking at the Sony a7s III and that seems to be the same price as the Sony a7R VI but I'm not sure what the main difference is other than the s seems to be more for videography.

I have a little less than a month to figure it out since best buy currently has a 24 month finance thing and these cameras (minus the a7s III since Best Buy doesn't seem to sell that) are part of the promotion. With the a7R IV the option that I was going to get doesn't have a lens so I was just going to pick up a Sony "FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro Lens", after that I would try to get the "FE 50mm f/1.8 Standard Prime Lens" and then after that get some sort of telephoto lens.
I hope you don't mind if I moved the conversation here.:)

I understand the want to get the best so it will last you a long time but I assure you, you don't need the best. I'm still rocking the first A7 and it is still more than good enough! For what you have planned on photographing getting an A7R IV is hugely overkill. I really would recommend going with a much cheaper Sony camera and getting good glass. The glass is what you have your whole life and the camera bodies you change out.

When it comes to the Sony camera line up. the A7 is the all around camera, A7R is for studio photography and the A7S is for video.

I would recommend getting the A7 III it is an awesome camera that even I dream about having. Of course I wouldn't say no to a A7R IV but that isn't right fit when I do street photography, so when I am working full time as a photographer again and earn good money on portrait and studio work that's when I'll get the A7R IV.

• Love

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Fujis are alright, they are more style over function. Meaning they aren’t full frame yet sell for same price as others. And when it comes to style I’m more for Sony.:D
What's is a full frame?

Also "je suis désolé" even though it is over kill like you said I'm going for that Sony Alpha 7R IV (the Sony Alpha 7S III was sold out) as for the lens I'm going for the "
  • FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro G OSS Full-Frame Macro Lens"
If all goes well (I'm going to be doing a lot of overtime at work since we are very pilled up and my supervisor told us that we would be working 6 days a week for a while (maybe a month or maybe less all depending on how things go).

Is that a decent lens?

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
PC-tan the A7RIV is an amazing camera, at least now you will never have to upgrade!:)

About Full frame, it's the size of the image sensor, the bigger it is the better the image quality. Usually full frame is something you get once you've gone pro and know why you need it. The same if you would again go for medium format which is even bigger sensor and amazing image quality. Medium format is super expensive and usually used in like high end fashion photography.

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Le Pertti what are your thoughts on the Sony Alpha 7 IV that was announced not that long ago. I think they only mentioned specs so far?
I had completely missed the news and I've been eagerly been waiting for it to drop for a long time! And the camera seems fantastic! Nice bump in resolution and finally a flip out and rotatable screen! This is now my camera that I'm going to try and get. But with my finances it will be in the bargain bin before I have the money!XD

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I had completely missed the news and I've been eagerly been waiting for it to drop for a long time! And the camera seems fantastic! Nice bump in resolution and finally a flip out and rotatable screen! This is now my camera that I'm going to try and get. But with my finances it will be in the bargain bin before I have the money!XD
Hopefully you are able to get the camera at some point. And yeah I didn't notice anything about that camera until I noticed today on Best Buy that they have it for pre-order and from the looks of it, it is releasing this December.

OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Hopefully you are able to get the camera at some point. And yeah I didn't notice anything about that camera until I noticed today on Best Buy that they have it for pre-order and from the looks of it, it is releasing this December.

dpreview has some impression and seems pretty good!

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
By the way since my camera doesn't have a lens, I ended up ordering a Sony FE 50mm f/1.8 Standard Prime Lens. It was about $250 and seems like a decent lens.

My goal is still to buy the FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro G OSS Full-Frame Macro Lens but that will likely not be for another 2 weeks or so.

I most likely will end up returning the 50mm lens if I don't really see a point in using it (that may be a bit confusing), right now I am mainly going to use it on the 7R IV to familiarize myself with out and making sure that the unit doesn't have issues.

I know that there are a few different type of lens types, I already have my choice of Macros lens picked out. I am not sure if I would end up getting a wide lens based off of stuff that I have tried to take pictures of in the past. The main time I needed something wide was when trying to take a picture of a water fall and a building or two. A telephoto lens would be more useful to have, since I have seen some pretty cool looking vistas.

My new "goal" will be to try to get a FE 50mm F1.2 GM lens some time next year. I have seen some photos that they shoot using that thing and wow.

• Eyes
Reactions: Wok
OP
Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
PC-tan pf course having a good lens is important, but it’s good to remember that a cheap lens won’t make a good photographer worse and an expensive lens won’t make a bad photographer better.

they are tools and it’s good to learn the why you need to upgrade from 50mm 2,8 to the other 50mm 1.2.

• Love