Community The Comics & Manga Thread - From Cape books, to Shonens, to Webcomics, to Shoujos, to Alternative, to Manhwas & more!

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Yup, 2000 AD has a store and an app, at least on ios. It's kinda shitty UI wise but it does the job.
And browsing the store I'm like a kid in a candy shop.

Reactions: Rosenkrantz
OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Dan Slott's Ironman is rather cool.
However having not read any Ironman in for near 5 or so years I am mind blown of some stuff that seem needlessly done to Tony
1- Turns out Howard and Maria Stark are his adoptive parents, his biological parents are Jude and Amanda Armstrong
2- Recently, Tony and Rhodey's bodies were disintegrated, but Tony made 'back ups' of themselves and reconstructed their bodies from these back ups
3- Arno Stark is the official biological son of the Starks and is an MD House wannabe :V

Some of this stuff is just plain down right

...but thankfully the current series has some fun vibes to it and starting out with THAT advesary was a neat move, although I don't think too fondly of the name of its countermeasure :V

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Pattinson as Batman is an interesting choice from Reeves. He's a good actor, but I'm not entirely sure he can pull off the role that demands this much physicality. Then again, Jackman wasn't an obvious choice for Wolverine and now he's a definitive interpretation of the character.

Casper

Jan 20, 2019
I gotta go throw House of X and Powers of X variant covers on my list at my local shop. I didn't realize there was a Joe Mad one (though it is pretty tame as far as MAD work goes). I am hopeful. As an 80s/90s kid... I grew up on Claremont Era X-Men and it was where I started really getting hooked. Jim Lee's covers later on only cemented it. Was downhill for a while after that though, with only a few standout arcs and books in the X universe.

I am really hoping Hickman does something to truly make me feel like I am reading old school Claremont Uncannys again. We shall see!

OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
I ain't reading Hickman's X-Men til the trades are out. I am 50-50 about Hickman but I won't deny that he'll deliver a whack story.

Casper

Jan 20, 2019
Oh I hear ya on the skepticism part. If it weren't something I was particularly excited for I would do the same. I've been further and further removed from day and date comics over the last few years for sure. My pull box has largely been taken over by comics my daughter reads these days.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Incredible, just incredible. I just finished New Challengers and I can safely say I hated every second of it after the first issue. Snyder put words on paper alright, no matter how tired they sound. And boy does he doesn’t stop for a second to ask himself if a plot device isn’t too much on the easy way out side of things.
A flaming trash fire I should have seen coming with Metal, but it looked good, and that I fear is repeating in JL. Snyder loves words, he loves concepts, they don’t make sense but who cares.
Snyder is the human equivalent of an hyperbole, impressive at first, hollow upon further inspection.

Reactions: Tizoc

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Yeah, sorry for the rant. I was still too annoyed to articulate a calmer post and as I admittedly didn’t read a good chunk of Snyder’s work, I can imagine the man is more than that. I still want to read Severed among others.

It’s just that Metal wasn’t so good as to warrant another helping every few months. And if Metal / New Challengers / JL are to be believed, his works seem a little too convoluted for the sake of it and ultimately often idiotic and hollow.

OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
No need to apolofize
Ive had my qualms with Snyder's work as early as his batman run.

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Eh, I actually liked Metal, while the resolution to the Barbatos thing wasn't entirely satisfying imo the road there is worth it and Batman Who Laughs is one of the better new characters in DC.

Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Didn't catch up to The Batman Who Laughs yet :drinking-blob:
It wasn't a bad issue of Metal. And for what it's worth I didn't literally hate Metal, I have difficulties putting things into words here.

Convoluted for sure. Based on relatively idiotic elements too, I mean just the Bat tribe... Then there is the Morrison issue that was so out there that it gave me the feeling I missed half the series. Maybe spread too thin for its own good ? The villains spin-offs weren't great at all.
But meh, if Snyder and DC didn't want to give me another helping of it every other month, I wouldn't really remember it that badly. Just, please can we pass to something else ?

BTW, how to put things, let's say I appreciate that everybody has his own tastes, when I shit on Snyder, I really really don't want to disrespect anyone.

On a related topic, what did you guys think about the New Age of Heroes line ?
I'm pretty OCD unfortunately when it comes to reading a lot of comics, but I thought about it the other day and noticed that I dropped a LOT of titles in there. It's cool though, it gave us 'The Terrifics'. Line redeemed.

Edit -
What are you reading people ? Feed this topic, your opinion is interesting, I like it here.
I mean it's not "Metal [OT] - Li Kao didn't tell us how he really feel"
:smiling-eyes:

Last edited:

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
BTW, how to put things, let's say I appreciate that everybody has his own tastes, when I shit on Snyder, I really really don't want to disrespect anyone.
No offense taken mate, I mean, I can't stand Grant Morrison and his gigantomania, making everything either as big and shiny as possible or as weird and incomprehensible as possible, and that's definitely isn't majority opinion either :)

Snyder's writing is just closer to things I like (his Batman stuff anyway). I'm more appreciative of relatively low key stuff.

OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
I am re reading morrison's seven soldiers of victory. Still holds up and altho i am still esrly in it, i always enjoy reading Frankenstein's arc.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Yeah, about Morisson, my position is not that far off Rosenkrantz's. We disagree but not by much. I love and respect Morrison talent, and he is a blast to read... when he is a little restrained. In full creativity mode, yeah, no.
Eg. Seaman

Not having read the entirety of Seven Soldiers or even Multiversity at all is one of my comic book regrets.

OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Da fug
Seaman is good stuff even if he never continued with a 3rd series @o@

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Never read the second one. And I will gladly admit that it's nice looking. I also will admit I remember not understanding the slightest bit of it :sweaty-blob:

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Don't mind me, just passing through and posting some Hakaijuu pics :whistle:

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
I've been reading Golden Kamui at #senpai's recommendation. Enjoying it, but I think I'll switch to anime. I've recently read Pluto (great reimagining of a classic manga) and Berserk (lives up to the hype and then some)

OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Read One Piece up til. Ch. 942 so far.
Yeah Oda's speeding up the pace and I can't help but expect the anime to drag because of this.
They could use episodes to further flesh things out instead of just giving 5 min. flashbacks then 15 minutes of half a freakin' chapter, but who knows.

Anyways, much of the stuff so far are build ups and I'm interested to see where they go after Wano.

I've been reading Golden Kamui at #senpai's recommendation. Enjoying it, but I think I'll switch to anime. I've recently read Pluto (great reimagining of a classic manga) and Berserk (lives up to the hype and then some)
I've been reading the Golden Kamuy manga and I like the pace and art of it.
Don't mind me, just passing through and posting some Hakaijuu pics :whistle:

Eyyy I should read this.

Last edited:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Got back to reading comics these last few days. A lot of mediocre titles, literally, competent but not especially bad nor good.
Then yesterday I read Immortal Hulk #5 and man, so fucking good, it's why I read comics. Chasing the dragon indeed.

You should try Immortal Hulk people ! I don't particularly like Hulk, his concept seems too limited and I have no strong attachment to him. But this is fucking good, Hulk or not. Basically a blend between the classic Hulk formula of the anti-hero monster on the run but mixed with a strong horror vibe.
I fear the thing will inevitably fall down, it's the Hulk after all, and I don't like the character that much like I said, but Al Ewing keeps proving me wrong months after months.
One could say this Green House of Secrets is a delight... or... more like a Green Door of Secrets.

JMTHEFOX

Planning to Be a Game Designer
Oct 4, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
If this post isn't allowed in this topic, let me know so that I can delete it.

Recently, David DeGrand, one of the editors of MAD magazine announced that the magazine will no longer be published to newsstands and will be sold at comic book stores.

Reactions: dummmyy

dummmyy

Dumb fool
Nov 14, 2018
If this post isn't allowed in this topic, let me know so that I can delete it.

Recently, David DeGrand, one of the editors of MAD magazine announced that the magazine will no longer be published to newsstands and will be sold at comic book stores.

Weird, I thought this had already been in effect. Had only been able to find them @ comic stores!

Dec 5, 2018
I have read most of The Sandman, Lucifier, Y The Last Man, Ex Machina, Transmetropolitan, some Chester Brown, a ton of Simon Hanselmann, Saga, Papergirls, a lot of horror comics, Snotgirl, recently The new Buffy series, Life is Strange, probably read about a trade book a week since 2013 from the library so.... Hundreds?
I like this guy.

I recently finished DMZ (after having read it on and off for a while). I really liked it.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
I like this guy.

I recently finished DMZ (after having read it on and off for a while). I really liked it.
I read DMZ a long time ago. Long, long ago (8+ years). I remember the main plot points but most of the nuance is just kind of a memory soup to me right now. I didn't care for the ending when I first read it and while that's what has mostly stuck with me, I have a bit of a soft parts for the plotlines and characters I liked. "Grandsons" lol.

Reactions: curi0usBystander

Mitch

Jul 19, 2019
Currently on a break from reading both manga and comics, but with SDCC going on it's all I can think about.

I'm waiting for the trade of Little Bird after reading issue #1. Still need to pick up more Immortal Hulk, Gideon Falls, and volumes #3 and #4 of 20th Century Boys. I'll be in Seattle at the end of July and plan on going to Golden Age Collectibles. May walk away with a couple new trades if they have anything good.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Today reading at the library! (My hopefully once a week attempt)

I just kind picked at random, I'll be reading more of the last two! I still have paper girls trade #3 and I lucked out. I got.....

In the library book sale for a $1. There was a copy of Fun Home available but I'd already read it more than once. I love Alison Bechdel's work, I'd recommend to anyone.

Reactions: Tizoc and fsdood
OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Golden Kamuy is good stuff, I need to pick that up again
No lie detected. I need tonget back to my comic book read up.
Been reading thru naruto tho and it bums me out the author wasnt allowed to go about his 'ninja adventure' concept. Wouldve made for s more fun action adventure series esp. With all the world building involved.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I said activity ? :disapproval-blob:

For my part, I think... I'm getting better. If you don't know I have OCD and huge FOMO when it comes to comic books. So as you can guess, that led me to have some insane catching up pile of books to read for years.
And I'm thankful to Marvel, DC and Image right now because of the general mediocrity of the books they publish. Half joking, but still. I said mediocrity, not worse, and there are still stellar books to read every month, eh. It's just that some factors like, superfluous books that exist just because, plot lines not developed enough that the author puts a precision in the monthly recap, and plenty of other little things, led me to understand that if I don't read a book, even if I'm going to read it some issues down the line, I will live.
There is also the simple anticipated pleasure test. I just realized that when I see some of the comics' covers I have to read, I'm all "but I don't want to read that shit".

So yeah, I'm doing better.

On a side note I'm becoming wary of Zdarsky, the man has evident talent but seems to take on more that he can chew on the long run. Peter Parker was so good in its first arc only to become the worst snooze fest ever after that. And it is becoming quite apparent that Marvel 2-in-1, another terrific book, should have ended a bunch of issues before it did. Plot become super weak, penciler does a horrible job, everything screams "hey, we had to produce some shit to make that a 12-issues run, don't blame us".

Reactions: fsdood

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
I've started reading Legendary Moonlight Sculptor and I have that feeling when your brain realizes that something is complete, lazy, poorly-written trash in a boring VR MMO setting but you can't get enough of this shit. The only other time I felt like that was the day I realized that I prefer Pain and Gain to The Wolf of Wall Street. :rolleyes:

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

fsdood

Jan 9, 2019
Yugami-kun ni wa Tomodachi ga Inai CH 1-5

I already like this weirdo MC. Very different then most MCs in highschool settings and has such a unique personality

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Read Doomsday Clock #6-7

Man, I can't recall what happened before, and I don't know if it's just a by product of that but the whole thing feels super slow and pretentious. At least I am nearly one year late and that shit must be done by now.

... quick Google search...

Reactions: dummmyy

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
I'm slowly progressing through LMS and at the second volume it starts to show the signs of being a typical wishfullfilment trash. The MMO stuff is interesting, but when it comes to stuff outside of the game we have:

1) MC being against GMO products (but eating rice after pesticides treatment is apparently ok).

2) MC being an alpha male who apparently capable of kicking asses of multiple gangbangers.

3) MC being super determined, hard-working badass to the point of Japanese salarymen dying out of jealousy.

4) Every woman wants MC, because he's an MC.

5) The little sister wants big brother's D.

6) Bosses are nothing to our hero. The boss has 5 billion hp and the MC is on 5 thousand, don't fret, the hero is going to be fine.

Why is LN scene is choke full of this shit? For every Durarara and Baccano there are hundreds of SAO and LMS.

OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Going into Naruto Shippuden in the manga, I am kinda disliking teen Naruto; I used to like him and dislike his younger self, but now I am not liking just how hotheaded he is. Doesn't help that the 2-3 year in series gap that Kishimoto applied seemed to just be an excuse to update designs and Naruto doesn't appear to have gotten any stronger.
As funny as the bell test was the 2nd time around, I doubt you can get away with forcing Kakashi to drop his guard like that in every battle. It just seemed like a cop out.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I'm slowly progressing through LMS and at the second volume it starts to show the signs of being a typical wishfullfilment trash. The MMO stuff is interesting, but when it comes to stuff outside of the game we have:

1) MC being against GMO products (but eating rice after pesticides treatment is apparently ok).

2) MC being an alpha male who apparently capable of kicking asses of multiple gangbangers.

3) MC being super determined, hard-working badass to the point of Japanese salarymen dying out of jealousy.

4) Every woman wants MC, because he's an MC.

5) The little sister wants big brother's D.

6) Bosses are nothing to our hero. The boss has 5 billion hp and the MC is on 5 thousand, don't fret, the hero is going to be fine.

Why is LN scene is choke full of this shit? For every Durarara and Baccano there are hundreds of SAO and LMS.
I like LMS mostly because there is a sense of outlandish stuff that happens in it that don't happen in some other series. That mainly revolves around the sword noobs though.

There was once this webtoon that I read called Solo Leveling, it seems to be based off an LN. The premise of the series is not bad but it did focus on the MC being very weak (the LN likely did a lot more world building) and then they go into a dungeon that whole dungeon part was cool but then it switches gears and talks about this whole other stuff. So at least in the webtoon you don't really know all that much about the world and then they introduce all of this other stuff that is not known in this world.

Has any one here read Lookism? Maybe I am just "edgey" but I think Lookism is one of the best Webtoons out there

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
There was once this webtoon that I read called Solo Leveling, it seems to be based off an LN. The premise of the series is not bad but it did focus on the MC being very weak (the LN likely did a lot more world building) and then they go into a dungeon that whole dungeon part was cool but then it switches gears and talks about this whole other stuff. So at least in the webtoon you don't really know all that much about the world and then they introduce all of this other stuff that is not known in this world.
Solo Leveling has such fantastic artwork :sweaty-blob:
The LN isn't really different in terms of world-building. Mainly because the world in Solo Leveling isn't really novel, but just a common Korean trope. At least it looks like that, because it's the 3rd story with pretty much the exact same premise of the world:
One day dungeons appear on Earth and alongside them humans get magic and other abilities. If dungeons aren't cleared after some time, the monsters within them can break out and cause mayhem in the human world. That's pretty much it.

OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
The new boom! Comics bundle on humble is interesting. Just wish their cbz compression wasnt ao ass ugh
Reading Lady Castle atm and it is rather nice.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Solo Leveling has such fantastic artwork :sweaty-blob:
The LN isn't really different in terms of world-building. Mainly because the world in Solo Leveling isn't really novel, but just a common Korean trope. At least it looks like that, because it's the 3rd story with pretty much the exact same premise of the world:
One day dungeons appear on Earth and alongside them humans get magic and other abilities. If dungeons aren't cleared after some time, the monsters within them can break out and cause mayhem in the human world. That's pretty much it.
I don't know because of the Korean series that I have read it's not that common, what is common though is having a sick relative and having to take care of a younger sibling all while trying some dangerous work in order to financially support the family.

Any one read Domestic na Kanojo? It's not bad and actually starts out quite strong but as the series goes on... well it becomes a slog since it doesn't really go anywhere.

If anyone is looking for some "good" drama type manga I would recommend reading stuff by Seo Kouji. His stories are good, just when you are expecting one thing he throws a curve ball at you. His stories do go on to be more than 100 chapters, his stories are also Interconnected and you will some times see some of the characters Interact with one another.

I like manga and I also like webtoons, I would like to learn Korean so that I can read more webtoons since webtoons tend to have more "seinen" type of series compared to manga (some of this has to do with cultural differences? And also the difference in the business models that they follow)

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
I've just read through the available chapters of Summer Time Rendering on MangaPlus and I can really recommend it.
It's a great suspense action thriller with supernatural elements and some romance. Still ongoing, currently 80 chapters. It could be that we're nearing the end, but it's hard to tell right now :)

It's legally free to read here.
After his parents died, Shinpei was taken in by the Kofune family. One day, he returns to his island hometown to attend the funeral of his foster sister, Ushio. Everything should’ve ended there, and yet Shinpei is told that Ushio’s death wasn’t an accident, but a murder.

Also note there's some nudity, so I wouldn't recommend reading it in public places.

Reactions: Kvik and Tizoc

lazerfox

Alpine Flower Boy
Dec 31, 2018
Switzerland
I'm currently in the UK and we we're just visiting the british museum in London when we found out that there's a manga exhibition currently held.

I know jack shit about manga's but I figured you guys might find it interesting anyways.
To my surprise there were a lot of elderly looking people attending. That's probably due to free entrance for British Museum members (can't really imagine they paid 20 pounds just to see manga).

The musuem displayed art for the most popular manga's but also had a lot of more unkown history pieces. I wish it wasn't so crowded so I could have spent more time reading all the little tidbits about the art and the creators.

At least I managed to take some pics.

They also had a big Titan head.

Me standing beside it for scale:
Hidden content
You need to react to this post in order to see this content.
Uncompressed Abload Gallery

Last edited: