Community The Comics & Manga Thread - From Cape books, to Shonens, to Webcomics, to Shoujos, to Alternative, to Manhwas & more!

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Hah been busy with game backlog and college xp
I really want to get back and follow up on some comics but i will try to do that in January after i finish my semester.
I generally get to read through stuff every 6 months lately.

Reactions: Li Kao

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
It's pretty cool isn't it. I'm about 5 chapters behind again (I prefer batch-reading nowadays :D), need to catch up again.
I admit that I didn't read the synopsis and jump straight into chapter 1 thinking it's going to be a whodunit/straight crime drama. I'm not ready for whatever cosmic horror from the n-th dimension they actually got in store.

Reactions: Ascheroth

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Just read a couple One Piece and Death Note chapters.
About the later, I was impressed at first, and there are indeed great things about it, but I can't say I'm very interested right now. Feels like each issue is here for the sole purpose of adding rules upon rules to this madness. But hey I'm not even at chapter 10.

OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
I feel that once one reaches the mid point of death note they should stop there.
The later half goes into a bizarre 'howtooutwitthem' for a very long while :p

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Yeah, I kinda heard that the second half let people down big time.
The anime only covers the first half right ?

Reactions: Tizoc
OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
It covers both halves. There is a funny swimming gif made from one of the scenes in the 2nd half though but all in all you can just watch halfway or read, then nove onto something else :p

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Started Fairy Tail, because I need more behemoth to read to go with One Piece, Berserk etc.
I... like it. Entertaining. And if nothing else I'm thankful for it to not shove the protag dream in my face as soon as it starts :so-good-blob:
Like One Piece. This on the other hand is the shonen of shonen. Everybody has a dream, everybody wants something. I would not be surprised to read next that objects have dream too.

Velleity. The manga.

OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Immortal Hulk Book 4
:sweaty-blob: :sweaty-blob: :sweaty-blob: :sweaty-blob: :sweaty-blob: :sweaty-blob: :sweaty-blob: :sweaty-blob: :sweaty-blob: :sweaty-blob: :sweaty-blob: :sweaty-blob: :sweaty-blob: :sweaty-blob: :sweaty-blob: :sweaty-blob: :sweaty-blob: :sweaty-blob: :sweaty-blob: :sweaty-blob: :sweaty-blob: :sweaty-blob: :sweaty-blob:

Started Fairy Tail, because I need more behemoth to read to go with One Piece, Berserk etc.
I... like it. Entertaining. And if nothing else I'm thankful for it to not shove the protag dream in my face as soon as it starts :so-good-blob:
Like One Piece. This on the other hand is the shonen of shonen. Everybody has a dream, everybody wants something. I would not be surprised to read next that objects have dream too.

Velleity. The manga.
Fairy Tail anime has a wonderful soundtrack. Series is generic as all hell and the fanserviceness becomes offputting, at least for me.
I have a soft spot for it but otherwise, nah, I got over generic shonen a long ass time ago, that it needs to do more to keep my attention :p

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I've picked up Heart Gear over the weekend and I enjoyed it a whole lot.

It's a bi-weekly shonen sci-fi series, reminisce of Tsutomu Nihei's BLAME! It's checking all the right boxes for a decent shonen series.

• Post-apocalyptic.
  • Lots of mechas.
  • The nature of man and machine.
  • Introspective chapters.
  • Memeable reaction faces.
  • Cutesexyrobutts.
  • Tournament arc.
  • Ridiculous outfits.
  • Maid robots.
  • Did I mention more robots?

It's a fun read, next chapter should be up tomorrow (There are 15 chapters out so far on Manga+).

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I've been reading Banana Fish, MHA, Spy x Family, Chainsaw Man, and Mitama Security: Spirit Busters.
How's Mitama Security recently been? I stopped after chapter 2 or 3 since it didn't seem to be my thing. Anything interesting happen?

In terms of Jump right now I'm reading

Kimetsu no Yaiba
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Jujutsu Kaisen
Mission: Yozakura Family
Dr. Stone
Black Clover
The Promised Neverland
We Never Learn
World Trigger

though the only ones I'm up-to-date right now are Yaiba, Chainsaw Man and Yozakura Family. I prefer to read things in batches of a few weeks/months worth of chapters at a time nowadays.

Planning on reading Act-Age eventually since it seems to be fucking amazing, Haikyuu I'm waaaay behind (haven't really read much beyond what the latest anime season covered, since I thought I might just wait a while), but maybe I should catch up, since it seems to also have been stellar.
Yui Kamio Lets Loose is eeeehhh, but I'm still kinda interested where it's going now since he switched it from a supernatural comedy rom-com to a horror flavored action shonen.

I've picked up Heart Gear over the weekend and I enjoyed it a whole lot.
Heart Gear has been on my radar for a while now. I really enjoyed his previous work, Black Torch. I kinda want to let some more chapters pile up though, haha.

Reactions: Kvik

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
On a whim, I picked out Rusty Brown (by Chris Ware) from the library.

Some of the early stories are from other Ware collections that I've read, so I'm a bit surprised to find that this book and most of the stories are new as of a couple of months ago. Now I have to read it. But damn, its another big, dense, heavy in all senses of the word graphic novel. After reading My Favorite Thing Is Monsters, this megachonk will leave me burnt out on this sub genre for the rest of the calendar year for sure.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
I've started reading Im - Great Priest Imhotep.

It's a fairly typical contemporary battle shonen - there are some supernatural things and there is a group fighting them, the main character has a special connection to the good and the bad and it starts with him saving a regular person from one of those things and drawing them into the supernatural world.
The art is good and it's well executed though, and it draws on egyptian mythology for its enemies and powers and I think that's pretty rare.
I'm about halfway through it by now and it's already completed, so that is nice.

Reactions: Kvik

Firewithin

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018
I finished up the Walking Dead as i read all them through collections. I think the ending was fine if almost a bit too happy

The way Rick got done was sort of lame but I can understand why that was the way it had to happen

OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Eh i think the ending is fine.

Anyways

Kyle rayner now has a competitor for best GL @3@

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Just finished reading the Imhitep manga and that was some good stuff.
Really brought the hype in the second half and the good kind of shonen friendship stuffs.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Y'all should read Souboutei Must Be Destroyed!, Fujita's (Ushio and Tora, Karakuri Circus,....) newest. It's one crazy fucked up non-stop twisted rollercoaster wild ride of awesomeness.

A mysterious mansion has towered proudly over the Tokyo district of Numanakarai since the Taisho period. Those who enter either never escape, or leave having experienced horrors untold, and with the desire to take revenge.

Here's an assortment of stuff that happens in the first chapter alone.

I also found an interview with the mangaka where you can see his workflow/drawing style and it seems to be quite unconventional as well, lol. Very fascinating stuff.

Last edited:

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
It's that time of the year again, some Jump mangas are getting cancelled and new ones will start in the next weeks.

This time Yui Kamio Lets Loose and Double Taisei got the axe.
I haven't read Taisei so I can't say anything about that but I'm not too surprised about Kamio. I
It started as a romcom with a supernatural element and a bit of action and was a bit intriguing at first. It kind of became pretty eh pretty quickly and then it turned into horror themed battle action to try and salvage it (to be fair, it looked like it was going to go that direction sooner or later) and actually became somewhat interesting again, had some cool moments but still not amazing.

It's a shame because I like Shiibashi's "otherworldly/horror-y" artstyle, but he hasn't really had another hit since Nurarihyon no Mago .

The next 2 series to start are Zipman!! (Shibata Yuusaku) next week and Agravity Boys (Nakamura Atsushi) the week after.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Been reading through some more completed mangos recently.

First is RYOKO .

A 5 volume long battle shonen in a post-apocalyptic world where science turned food into sentient monsters who wiped out a lof of humanity and the survivors hunt those foodmonsters to eat. (Thanks science)

Was pretty cool and went places. Unfortunately it was cancelled, though very likely not because it was bad, but because of the mangaka's bad health that caused it to have a year long hiatus shortly after it started and it looks like it never really recovered its footing after that. A shame.

Second one was The Grim Reaper and an Argent Cavalier

6 volume long dark fantasy romance tragedy shonen about the Grim Reaper turning people into soulless monsters to harvest souls and the order of knights fighting against him. It's a pretty standard premise but it does how some nice twists and is well executed. Also lots of bittersweet romance.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
New jump manga started today.
Zipman!!
Superhero/Tokatsu themed with mechs. I dig it. Let's see how the next few chapters will be.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Nice artwork, I will gladly check it out.

Personally, I've started reading comics again. And damn. Some books are good, but others, I'm struggling to come up with a fitting analogy. Let's say some are really, really bad. I get the pathetic need of the big pubs to occupy their space in the market even if it comes at the price of some bad books, but there must be limits.

So I read Batman Secret Files (2018). A book comprised of multiple short stories. Among them are, and you be the judge (complete spoiler) :

Story 1
Revealed content
- In the first one, Superman offers Batman a magical plot device from my ass, some platinum kryptonite, that can grant humans super powers. Batman look at it, evidently think a little bit about why not, then the story ends with him asking to Alfred : "Alfred, am I enough ?"
Story 3
Revealed content
- In another he hunts some creature he suspects to be man-bat in the Gotham mountains (?). Locked in due to heavy snow he is lead to introspection and think that he is not much a fan of himself. Then suddenly, noises, creaking wood, the creature must be outside ! Batman get out, shoot an arrow and kill a deer. It ends with Batman reiterating that yeah, he is not a fan of himself sometimes.
I mean, there must have been some bet involved, like what's the worst shit we can sell our readers ?

Last edited:
OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Immortal hulk book 5 is out so time to catch up
Dc being slow with their tpb releases piss me.off =_=

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Immortal hulk book 5 is out so time to catch up
Dc being slow with their tpb releases piss me.off =_=
Just read issue #7. It’s remarkable how superior it is to everything I read since I started reading comics again. A fucking Hulk book. The creative team is perfect.

Firewithin

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018
second omnibus volume of Dark Tower was on sale on amazon for nearly 1/2 off so i finally picked that up

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
New week, new Jump manga. Agravity Boys started.

I went into it knowing nothing. It started with some pretty cool space suits.

But then went super creepy basically immediately.
So the premise is that 4 boys are the last survivors of humanity and in order to repopulate the human race they get a one-time use gender change elixir from some random higher dimensional being. Of course this topic is handled with the delicacy of a brick and I'm noping out after the first chapter.

2nd chapter of Zipman was alright. I need a few more chapters to say if it will be any good going forward.

Mission: Yozakura Family is unfortunately getting a bit stale :/ I really want to like it but it's getting into a predictable routine. It really needs a longer arc or something.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I read Agravity Boys. It was indeed subtle as a brick. I like the art and I don’t want to hate it... but it’s a pile of shit.
But oh well I resumed my manga readings and there were a lot of totally solid titles, so that more than even out.

Reactions: Ascheroth

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Time to catch up on jojo delicious in dungeon and demon slayer yaiba after my exams @_@
Good luck!

I need to catch up on JoJo myself.
Delicious in Dungeon is something on my read list as well.

And Demon Slayer is wild right now :sweaty-blob:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I read Beastars v01.

The cover is gorgeous but when the time came to actually read it, I realized I am absolutely uninterested in anything it seemed to offer. Don't really care about anthropomorphic animals, school life, etc.
And yet 1-2 pages in and I couldn't stop reading.

Beastars is really good. Always a pleasure to have something impose its superiority over your preconceptions.

Reactions: Tizoc
OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
I read Beastars v01.

The cover is gorgeous but when the time came to actually read it, I realized I am absolutely uninterested in anything it seemed to offer. Don't really care about anthropomorphic animals, school life, etc.
And yet 1-2 pages in and I couldn't stop reading.

Beastars is really good. Always a pleasure to have something impose its superiority over your preconceptions.
Give Blacksad a read if you haven't yet ;)