Community The MetaVerse VR thread (hardware/software/etc, all platforms)

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
The National Geographic Explore VR app is actually only available for Oculus Quest at the moment. I do hope it will get ported to PC, it looks excellent. Almost every Quest software is available for Rift too but there are a couple exceptions like that and it's driving me nuts when it's exactly what I've wanted to have.

And yes The Gallery games can be acquired from Steam and played just fine with a Rift. Everything other than a few Oculus exclusives I got on Steam myself.

One of the best edu-space experiences is Mission: ISS on Oculus Store, you should try getting such things working with Revive yourself Edward, you can test it with all the great free content (again, like Echo VR) and see if you wanna actually buy one of the exclusives after that or not. Although the Vive wands don't align too well with the Oculus Touch inputs and you'll need to fiddle with that, if you upgrade to Index controllers at some point it should be almost 1:1 control wise.

Last edited:
OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Been browsing this thread a bit, in search of one-two games. Too many options.
I want something immersive, not too action oriented or fast that I can enjoy myself and use to show VR to other people. Lone echo, maybe? And something else?
It might sound silly, but for showing people VR, especially if they are not into general gaming and just want to try something, I still haven't found anything that works better for most than the Valve "The Lab" archery minigame.

Everyone from children to my 60+ year old relatives gets really into that.

(I realize that this fails both your "immersive" and "not too action oriented" requirements, but it was always such a success for quick VR demos that I still wanted to mention it)

EdwardTivrusky

See You Hyper-Toxic Computer Cowboy
Dec 8, 2018
Alextended Thanks for the info. I keep meaning to play around with ReVive but never get around to it.
I do have Index & Knuckles with my old Vive Lighthouses so i really should see what Oculus offers now. I'll definitely look at Mission: ISS!

Reactions: Alextended

EdwardTivrusky

See You Hyper-Toxic Computer Cowboy
Dec 8, 2018
One thing i would avoid are most of the VR Movies on Youtube. The worst experience i had in VR was watching one of the 360/VR Yotube videos when the resolution dropped and it got laggy when walking down a spiral staircase. The experience of looking one way while walking another way and the res dropping and the response dropping was instant migraine. lol.

Be careful with Youtube VR/360 videos is what i'm saying :)

Reactions: ISee

fantomena

Oh captain my captain.
Dec 17, 2018
ISee WooHoo! Welcome to VR! I don't have Rift but i'd echo what people have said and go for the Tutorials/Demos first as they are usually short and sweet. I'd also recommend some form of music game, my preference is Audioshield but any one will do especially if you can play your own music or Youtube etc in it. They can be a good workout too.

Also you'll have access to a bunch of the apps on the Oculus store from National Geographic and the upcoming Machu Piccu exploration experience looks awesome. Things like Richie's Plank Game are fun, there's a NASA Apollo VR documentary that is very good and some games like Prey have added VR modes So many good experiences to get you started, VR is in a much better place than when i got my first Vive.

Gorn, Superhot VR, Skyrim VR, Star Trek Bridge Crew, dunno if StarSeed The Gallery series is available but my housemate loves that game and Serious Sam and Arizona Sunshine.

Enjoy!
Starseed Gallery can be bought on Oculus Store and on Steam for Rift. I own the Steam version and have no problem with it,

As long as the Steam store page says "Oculus Rift" under supported headset the game should work on Rift/Rift S. I mainly buy my VR games on Steam as long as the store page says it supports the Rift. It it does not, the game is either available only on Oculus Store for Rift (this is rare) or it will work with Rift, but will have some performance and/or controller problems.

These days, pretty much every VR game released on Steam supports Rift.

Also, new VR owners should check out Viveport. I think that the promo that gives you 2 months of free Viveport is still working. Viveport works with Rift. I know, I've tested some games there.

Viveport has games like FNAF, Arizona Sunshine, Sairento, Superhot VR, Furious Seas, Synth Riders and more.

Of course, it's a subscription service, I use it to see if I will like the game enough to buy it on Steam.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
We hope you enjoy our announcement trailer. Keep in mind all of the footage you're seeing is work in progress. Lonn is an action-adventure story based VR game set in a dystopian cyberpunk city. You play as Lonn the protagonist; a conflicted Bounty Hunter who is trying to make a living and experiences a life defining moment in which human society is under urgent threat.

ISee

loves cookies
Mar 1, 2019
My only experience with VR was with the PlayStation and I'm surprised how much of an upgrade Rift S is.
First of all, it is a lot more comfortable and I have no problems with my glasses! Resolution, clarity, reduced screendoor effect; it's a night and day difference.
Controllers and play area is also a lot better and the rift putting me into passthrough mode when leaving the playing field is a godsend. The controllers are actually precise and do not loose tracking all of the time!
But the lower refresh rate of just 80hz is noticeable, especially when quickly turning or moving my head. Not bad, but I notice some small stutters.

And the Lab is really impressive! I just spend an hour playing that little spaceship and catapult game :oops:
I was already impressed by PSVR, but PCVR is even better (I know, who could have guessed that's the case).

If the index is as much of an upgrade over Rift S as Rift S is over PSVR. I think my next headset might be a high end one too. But for now: I'm already happy!

fantomena

Oh captain my captain.
Dec 17, 2018
My only experience with VR was with the PlayStation and I'm surprised how much of an upgrade Rift S is.
First of all, it is a lot more comfortable and I have no problems with my glasses! Resolution, clarity, reduced screendoor effect; it's a night and day difference.
Controllers and play area is also a lot better and the rift putting me into passthrough mode when leaving the playing field is a godsend. The controllers are actually precise and do not loose tracking all of the time!
But the lower refresh rate of just 80hz is noticeable, especially when quickly turning or moving my head. Not bad, but I notice some small stutters.

And the Lab is really impressive! I just spend an hour playing that little spaceship and catapult game :oops:
I was already impressed by PSVR, but PCVR is even better (I know, who could have guessed that's the case).

If the index is as much of an upgrade over Rift S as Rift S is over PSVR. I think my next headset might be a high end one too. But for now: I'm already happy!
I find the best part of going from PSVR to Rift is the tracking. I really dislike the PSVR move controller tracking. I feel party of the game is fighting against controller drift (the move controllers are moving away from you).

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

How the heck did you go so fast from discussing the idea of getting VR to already playing with it lol! Glad the IPD was right for you after all.

How was that First Contact tutorial eh?

ISee

loves cookies
Mar 1, 2019
How the heck did you go so fast from discussing the idea of getting VR to already playing with it lol! Glad the IPD was right for you after all.

How was that First Contact tutorial eh?
I mean: Valve announced a Half Life game and it is exclusive to VR. I need time to learn VR and adjust, so nausea won't be a problem. I know, I should have waited for the reveal. But it's Half-Life, from Valve, in VR and a major AAA release. ¯\(ツ)
For the rest: Amazon deliveries are mostly 1 day for me. So that part was easy.

The Tutorial with the robot and the 3D printer? Pretty cool! Pulling the line on the rockets and seeing them fly away was my highlight and shooting was surprisingly accurate.
But stupid me wanted to lay down my controllers on the virtual desk in-front of me. Thank god they were tied to my wrists. I knew it's not real, but something misfired in my brain.

I find the best part of going from PSVR to Rift is the tracking. I really dislike the PSVR move controller tracking. I feel party of the game is fighting against controller drift (the move controllers are moving away from you).
My camera was also constantly loosing track of the controllers. Playing in an area was nearly impossible.

Last edited:

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
The talk of National Geographic up there made me wonder, is there currently an accessible real-world scenic VR game? I've messed around with some of the Steam Home environments and they're cool, but having an actual program dedicated to it seems more ideal.

Also I really need to try and figure out a safe more-than-standing space for VRing, it feels a bit limiting with some of the games now. Curse of small apartments.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Google Earth VR maybe :p

There doesn't seem to be much sadly.

I enjoyed theBlu as a passive experience but it's not been updated in ages to fix even apparent stuff like the backward animating of jellyfish, and it has way too little content for the asking price, basically two scenes to sit through with some bonus stuff. Explore VR looks like exactly the type of thing I want and so well made, I hope it's ported to PC some time soon just like other previously Quest-only games like Vader, Shadow Point, Journey of the Gods, etc.

It looks amazing considering the Quest specs too.

Last edited:

Amzin

Dec 5, 2018
Yea there's not much. Not totally surprising as using real-world photos etc. probably requires a lot of resources to sort out. HoloTour on the Windows store looks good for exactly Rome and Macchu Pichu :p

ISee

loves cookies
Mar 1, 2019
Showed off Rift S to my brother (Oculs Demo, The Lab and Lone Echo). He ordered his own Rift S today.
Are there good Co-Op games, besides Star Trek Bride Crew?

Lone Echo is awesome. This is some truly immersive stuff. But I can't play it for longer then 30 minutes currently, which is a shame. But motion sickness starts kicking in to hard.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Stormland has co-op but I haven't tried it. It's set up so the host keeps the story progress and the joiner the gear/whatever upgrades but has to still finish the story on his own/as host to progress it on his end, something along those lines (so they don't miss out on past content just because they joined you near the end or something). It's also not a very beginner friendly game with all the freedom you have in movement. The game is very flawed, perhaps it was rushed to release when Sony bought the studio or they just had to work extra hard to actually get it to this level so there was no room/budget/time for refinement or more content which would have been great in a sequel or something but still, I thoroughly enjoyed it anyway. The climbing (unlike other games where you stick on surfaces spider-man style here you can push yourself up and release the grip to launch yourself so you climb in leaps and bounds alternating each hand push) and gliding and almost-flying stuff (feels very ironman-like when you learn to hover and land better rather than always speed past your intended target area as in the beginning) is all glorious and does wonders for an otherwise normal, limited even, sci-fi FPS with some upgrade stuff thrown in.

Onward is my favorite of the "standard" VR FPS and I love it primarily for the co-op (I'm not much for PVP) but while I can't really recommend it, it's clearly early access, the AI is quite primitive, the missions have no real scenario to them, it's just PVP maps with AI scattered throughout instead of an opposing team, etc., somehow I still have a lot of fun with randoms online and keep going back for more. Hopefully they will improve things on that front but most FPS these days focus on PVP so there's no guarantee (though they did do a big AI update recently). Either way I feel it's the VR FPS with the very best mechanics for weapon and gadget handling even though others like Pavlov are more popular. To me Pavlov is kind of VR Counter-Strike, Contractors kind of VR Call of Duty (no kill streaks and upgrades and shit, just talking gameplay pace) and Onward is kind of Ghost Recon VR (the oldies, not the new open world sandbox crap).

Vox Machinae is a really really cool mech combat game that also has a co-op mode but only in a manner similar to the above, it's also PVP focused for now.

IronWolf VR is a room scale submarine simulator, you can work together to manipulate different mechanisms and deal with damage etc., it's worth a look, perhaps you will find it similar to Bridge Crew in some ways just in ancient in comparison tech (and there's also some action stuff like operating AA weapons).

Last edited:
OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Have you ever played Climbey? It's extremely basic graphically but the climbing mechanics are second to none IMHO. And it has "coop climbing" which feels amazing. (As in, you can use e.g. the other player's hands as handholds)
Are there good Co-Op games, besides Star Trek Bride Crew?
I feel qualified to answer that question since I've played many of them :p

If you have a dedicated group, The Forest is amazing in coop. It's a pretty large exploration-heavy game though so it needs some dedication. You can also play it in coop with some VR and some traditional players (we did that).

Other games that are "VR ports" but actually really well done, and which feature "cross-medium" coop are the Serious Sam games, and Payday 2. Huge amount of content in those, and the VR versions are surprisingly well done IMHO (e.g. compared to the Bethesda ports).

Bridge crew is fun of course, and amazing if you can get a full crew complement of Star Trek nerds with VR together (which we did!), but it's pretty short and the random missions don't have sufficient variety to increase replayability much. Still worth experiencing though.

Arizona Sushine is built from the ground up for VR and has full campaign coop. It's a pretty basic Zombie shooter in terms of mechanics, but pretty much the only game of its kind with full coop right now.

There are several smaller indie games with coop which can be very fun, as long as you adjust your expectations to their budget: Climbey has very unique traversal mechanics and tons of high quality user-created content. And Trickster VR is a co-op action dungeon crawler with procedurally generated levels

Finally, Raw Data seems to be a bit divisive, but I don't fully understand why. Personally, I think it's easily in the running for the single best skill-based action game in VR, and it has full co-op support. It's level-based, and most of the levels are wave-based, but in terms of pure VR action gameplay the variety (all 4 characters play very differently) and deep mechanics are still unmatched as far as I am concerned.

Last edited:
Reactions: ISee and lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I second Raw Data, the best arena/wave shooter by a mile to me (though I don't like half of the few classes too much).

Oh and Karnage Chronicles is a great little action dungeon romp (no roguelite randomized stuff) with co-op too. I keep forgetting stuff I played a while ago, lol...

Oh, Windlands 2 also (not for new to VR either, lol :sick:).

Last edited:

fantomena

Oh captain my captain.
Dec 17, 2018
Vader Immortal releases in 2h23 min on Rift and Quest.

I hope it's longer and better than episode 2. I liked episode 1 best.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Obviously we have a thread for this but, gotta add it here too.

I have to say that to me it looks exactly as I expected it to. By that I mean there's nothing super surprising about the mechanics shown or anything else. It's very much like Half-Life 2 with improved graphics and all the great VR mechanics already seen in other games. I'm sure it will be a revelation for VR newcomers when they experience it but for me it's a little less than that, an amazing game that I knew bigger developers could make when they came in to VR after all the smaller developers and indies and smaller productions have shown us already that the medium can do. I can't wait!

And it's out.

Last edited:

DollEyes

Out of Mana
Apr 17, 2019
So, now that the Index is available in Canada what have the impressions been like? I’m fighting the urge to impulse buy one but I haven’t been keeping up with it.

Reactions: lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Edit: super important!
A set of Source 2 tools for building new environments will ship with the game, enabling any player to build and contribute new environments for the community to enjoy. Hammer, Valve’s level authoring tool, has been updated with all of the game’s virtual reality gameplay tools and components.
Sweet, maybe a new mod community renaissance is upon us like back in the hl1 and source days.

Last edited:
Reactions: ISee and lashman

FunktionJCB

Something Wicked This Way Comes
Oct 10, 2018
I'm completely out of the loop when it comes to VR hardware.

From what I understand, to use Valve's hardware, I need the 3 components (headset + controllers + base station), even if I want to play seated, right?
Those base stations are absolutely needed, right?

What would be a good, affordable solution to play the upcoming game, buying only Valve's controllers, and using other hardware?

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Yes.

ISee just got an Oculus Rift S and is very happy with it. There's even more affordable stuff like Windows Mixed Reality kits, they'll all work.

The main thing you need to check is your IPD because some kits offer more adjustability than others but after that generally the premium option is Index, then the next option the Rift S, it has its drawbacks but also plus in that it doesn't need base stations and such, then the Windows Mixed Reality kits which vary in quality and are a lot like a Rift S without quite as good tracking, yet as they all have the same tracking and controllers, buying a better or worse WMR kit only affects screen and build quality of the HMD. You could also look into things like the Vive and Pimax but those are more special case scenarios imo (people who already have a Vive from when it was a better option can upgrade to Index controllers but newcomers are better off going for Index itself and Pimax is for enthusiasts who feel they need higher FOV/resolution etc.). There's also the Oculus Quest which is a stand alone VR kit with a built-in mobile chipset that can also connect to a PC for PC games with the newly in beta Link service, but you should only consider it if you care to use it as stand alone too, not strictly for PC.

Last edited:

ISee

loves cookies
Mar 1, 2019
Sweet, maybe a new mod community renaissance is upon us like back in the hl1 and source days.
Thinking about what came out of HL and HL2. Yes, this is just as big as the game itself.
I'm completely out of the loop when it comes to VR hardware.

From what I understand, to use Valve's hardware, I need the 3 components (headset + controllers + base station), even if I want to play seated, right?
Those base stations are absolutely needed, right?

What would be a good, affordable solution to play the upcoming game, buying only Valve's controllers, and using other hardware?

If you are planing to get the valve index than those base stations are needed. But there are also options without base stations like the Oculus Rift S

In addition to what Alextended said, I'll link you to Durante from yesterday:

Personally: I'm quite happy with my new Rift S, it's easy to manage, it just needs one Display Port and one USB 3.0 port and the controls work great. I tested a PSVR last year for a couple of weeks and Rift S is a noticeable upgrade over that. It's more comfortable, the motion controls are hugely improved, resolution is better, screen door effect is a lot less noticeable etc. As Alextended said, I'm very impressed by and happy about my purchase, but that's maybe the case because I don't know better. I'm certain the Index is far superior.

Last edited:
Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Great day to post your press release guys, gg, lol. And more Holoception.

Also someone streamed a lot of Espire 1 (coming tomorrow). Dunno if he's a good one or just your average youtuber, I don't wanna watch too much.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman and ISee

fantomena

Oh captain my captain.
Dec 17, 2018
When I decided to buy a Rift in january after getting annoyed and frustrated over the PSVRs tracking abilities. I did not expect HLA. Or Boneworks. Or any of the super fun games Ive played these past few months.

Amzin

Dec 5, 2018
These might be worth checking out but yeah it's all individual apps by diff people in varying quality and age etc.
Ooh, Realities looks neat, I'll at least check that out. Thanks!

I have to decide now if I want to "upgrade" from Odyssey+ to Index, although I guess the by-end-of-2019 bonus content for HLA isn't that interesting to me. WMR has worked very well (but not perfectly) for everything so far, the only real thing I'd enjoy is probably the comfort / visual upgrades. That's not a whole hell of a lot for $1,000, even if I get HLA for free o_O

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Looking at the Steam topsellers obviously Index and Alyx are up, but interestingly the controller-only and HMD+controller packages (the latter of which is what I got) are up again as well.

It seems like a few more Vive owners are upgrading.
Amzin I haven't tried it for AGES but have a look at Destinations on Steam.

Oh, it's been removed and incorporated into Steam VR Home. Try some of these:

SteamVR Home - Real + Nature Search
One neat part of that is that you can visit those locations with friends.

TheGreenArrow

MetaMember
Nov 20, 2018
some VR games are on sale over at humble. Anyone try Paranormal Activity, The Exorcist or I Expect You to Die? They’re pretty cheap right now and look neat

Xclash

MetaMember
Dec 13, 2018
Don't know how long this will last but people that can order it, the Samsung Odyssey+ is $229.99 @ B&H.

Reactions: Kuro and ISee

Joe Spangle

I lurk and I like.
Apr 17, 2019
I think i will upgrade from the Vive to the Index for HLA.

Can anyone who has used both comment on whether the Index is a bit more comfortable to wear for longer periods? I find in the Vive after an hour or two its very hot and heavy and I need to take a break.

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018

Can anyone who has used both comment on whether the Index is a bit more comfortable to wear for longer periods? I find in the Vive after an hour or two its very hot and heavy and I need to take a break.
Well, I have the Vive and the Index and some other HMDs and the Index is the most comfortable by far to wear for longer periods.

Reactions: Joe Spangle

knch

Sep 23, 2019

Still pretty warm after a while, but much more comfortable and just plain better in every other aspect (except maybe black levels/contrast, but the better visuals are worth it)

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
This game might turn out well, eventually, after a lot of work.

They show some nice art and ideas, it's just too early for in-game implementations. And then there's also this game, lol.

Last edited:

ISee

loves cookies
Mar 1, 2019
Arizona Sunshine is 66% off (13.49€) on Humble Bundle (Steam Version). Just in case somebody else is currently hunting for a couple of games.

edit: Get it from GMG instead and you'll get the Intel starter pack with it!

edit 2:

Does anybody want a free code for Star Trek:Bridge Crew (Steam: Index, Vive, Oculus, WMR)?
Got one from the Intel 5 games thing on GMG and I already have the game.
PM me, first come...

Last edited:

fantomena

Oh captain my captain.
Dec 17, 2018
PSVR version was apprently outsourced and is not good accordign to r/psvr.

Amzin

Dec 5, 2018
Amzin I haven't tried it for AGES but have a look at Destinations on Steam.

Oh, it's been removed and incorporated into Steam VR Home. Try some of these:

SteamVR Home - Real + Nature Search
Oh I'd messed around with environments in Steam Home but I didn't connect that they were Workshop items, that makes it way easier to browse through.

I picked up Zero Calibur on GMG, it looks promising. Also apparently I have Raw Data already from... somewhere, no idea, I added it to my library long before I bought VR so :unsure:

With Turkey-day-timed sales starting off I grabbed myself a new phone and am shopping around for some other things but still really would enjoy upgrading to an Index but gotta mind my wallet for sure. My raise this year was not much.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

ISee

loves cookies
Mar 1, 2019
Motion Sickness was a lot better today. I feel a tiny bit dizzy after 1.5h in lone echo (my only game time today), but I was even able to turn myself while flying around at high speed. I had to close my eyes on day one when accidentally pushing myself away from a wall with too much force. So that's a huge progress imo.
I'm optimistic I'll be able to overcome motion sickness, eventually.
How long did it take you guys btw?

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018
Is that Samsung Odyssey Plus headset a decent choice? It's currently priced at 260 euros with shipping from Amazon. I probably won't buy it but I have to admit that it is tempting me. Damn you Valve!

Reactions: lashman and ISee