Community The MetaVerse VR thread (hardware/software/etc, all platforms)

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Have you ever played Climbey? It's extremely basic graphically but the climbing mechanics are second to none IMHO. And it has "coop climbing" which feels amazing. (As in, you can use e.g. the other player's hands as handholds)
Are there good Co-Op games, besides Star Trek Bride Crew?
I feel qualified to answer that question since I've played many of them :p

If you have a dedicated group, The Forest is amazing in coop. It's a pretty large exploration-heavy game though so it needs some dedication. You can also play it in coop with some VR and some traditional players (we did that).

Other games that are "VR ports" but actually really well done, and which feature "cross-medium" coop are the Serious Sam games, and Payday 2. Huge amount of content in those, and the VR versions are surprisingly well done IMHO (e.g. compared to the Bethesda ports).

Bridge crew is fun of course, and amazing if you can get a full crew complement of Star Trek nerds with VR together (which we did!), but it's pretty short and the random missions don't have sufficient variety to increase replayability much. Still worth experiencing though.

Arizona Sushine is built from the ground up for VR and has full campaign coop. It's a pretty basic Zombie shooter in terms of mechanics, but pretty much the only game of its kind with full coop right now.

There are several smaller indie games with coop which can be very fun, as long as you adjust your expectations to their budget: Climbey has very unique traversal mechanics and tons of high quality user-created content. And Trickster VR is a co-op action dungeon crawler with procedurally generated levels

Finally, Raw Data seems to be a bit divisive, but I don't fully understand why. Personally, I think it's easily in the running for the single best skill-based action game in VR, and it has full co-op support. It's level-based, and most of the levels are wave-based, but in terms of pure VR action gameplay the variety (all 4 characters play very differently) and deep mechanics are still unmatched as far as I am concerned.

Last edited:
Reactions: ISee and lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I second Raw Data, the best arena/wave shooter by a mile to me (though I don't like half of the few classes too much).

Oh and Karnage Chronicles is a great little action dungeon romp (no roguelite randomized stuff) with co-op too. I keep forgetting stuff I played a while ago, lol...

Oh, Windlands 2 also (not for new to VR either, lol :sick:).

Last edited:
Reactions: ISee

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Vader Immortal releases in 2h23 min on Rift and Quest.

I hope it's longer and better than episode 2. I liked episode 1 best.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Obviously we have a thread for this but, gotta add it here too.

I have to say that to me it looks exactly as I expected it to. By that I mean there's nothing super surprising about the mechanics shown or anything else. It's very much like Half-Life 2 with improved graphics and all the great VR mechanics already seen in other games. I'm sure it will be a revelation for VR newcomers when they experience it but for me it's a little less than that, an amazing game that I knew bigger developers could make when they came in to VR after all the smaller developers and indies and smaller productions have shown us already that the medium can do. I can't wait!

And it's out.

Last edited:

DollEyes

Out of Mana
Apr 17, 2019
So, now that the Index is available in Canada what have the impressions been like? I’m fighting the urge to impulse buy one but I haven’t been keeping up with it.

Reactions: lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Edit: super important!
A set of Source 2 tools for building new environments will ship with the game, enabling any player to build and contribute new environments for the community to enjoy. Hammer, Valve’s level authoring tool, has been updated with all of the game’s virtual reality gameplay tools and components.
Sweet, maybe a new mod community renaissance is upon us like back in the hl1 and source days.

Last edited:
Reactions: ISee and lashman

Deleted member 113

I'm completely out of the loop when it comes to VR hardware.

From what I understand, to use Valve's hardware, I need the 3 components (headset + controllers + base station), even if I want to play seated, right?
Those base stations are absolutely needed, right?

What would be a good, affordable solution to play the upcoming game, buying only Valve's controllers, and using other hardware?

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Yes.

ISee just got an Oculus Rift S and is very happy with it. There's even more affordable stuff like Windows Mixed Reality kits, they'll all work.

The main thing you need to check is your IPD because some kits offer more adjustability than others but after that generally the premium option is Index, then the next option the Rift S, it has its drawbacks but also plus in that it doesn't need base stations and such, then the Windows Mixed Reality kits which vary in quality and are a lot like a Rift S without quite as good tracking, yet as they all have the same tracking and controllers, buying a better or worse WMR kit only affects screen and build quality of the HMD. You could also look into things like the Vive and Pimax but those are more special case scenarios imo (people who already have a Vive from when it was a better option can upgrade to Index controllers but newcomers are better off going for Index itself and Pimax is for enthusiasts who feel they need higher FOV/resolution etc.). There's also the Oculus Quest which is a stand alone VR kit with a built-in mobile chipset that can also connect to a PC for PC games with the newly in beta Link service, but you should only consider it if you care to use it as stand alone too, not strictly for PC.

Last edited:

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Sweet, maybe a new mod community renaissance is upon us like back in the hl1 and source days.
Thinking about what came out of HL and HL2. Yes, this is just as big as the game itself.
I'm completely out of the loop when it comes to VR hardware.

From what I understand, to use Valve's hardware, I need the 3 components (headset + controllers + base station), even if I want to play seated, right?
Those base stations are absolutely needed, right?

What would be a good, affordable solution to play the upcoming game, buying only Valve's controllers, and using other hardware?

If you are planing to get the valve index than those base stations are needed. But there are also options without base stations like the Oculus Rift S

In addition to what Alextended said, I'll link you to Durante from yesterday:

Personally: I'm quite happy with my new Rift S, it's easy to manage, it just needs one Display Port and one USB 3.0 port and the controls work great. I tested a PSVR last year for a couple of weeks and Rift S is a noticeable upgrade over that. It's more comfortable, the motion controls are hugely improved, resolution is better, screen door effect is a lot less noticeable etc. As Alextended said, I'm very impressed by and happy about my purchase, but that's maybe the case because I don't know better. I'm certain the Index is far superior.

Last edited:
Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Great day to post your press release guys, gg, lol. And more Holoception.

Also someone streamed a lot of Espire 1 (coming tomorrow). Dunno if he's a good one or just your average youtuber, I don't wanna watch too much.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman and ISee

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
When I decided to buy a Rift in january after getting annoyed and frustrated over the PSVRs tracking abilities. I did not expect HLA. Or Boneworks. Or any of the super fun games Ive played these past few months.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
These might be worth checking out but yeah it's all individual apps by diff people in varying quality and age etc.
Ooh, Realities looks neat, I'll at least check that out. Thanks!

I have to decide now if I want to "upgrade" from Odyssey+ to Index, although I guess the by-end-of-2019 bonus content for HLA isn't that interesting to me. WMR has worked very well (but not perfectly) for everything so far, the only real thing I'd enjoy is probably the comfort / visual upgrades. That's not a whole hell of a lot for $1,000, even if I get HLA for free o_O

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Looking at the Steam topsellers obviously Index and Alyx are up, but interestingly the controller-only and HMD+controller packages (the latter of which is what I got) are up again as well.

It seems like a few more Vive owners are upgrading.
Amzin I haven't tried it for AGES but have a look at Destinations on Steam.

Oh, it's been removed and incorporated into Steam VR Home. Try some of these:

SteamVR Home - Real + Nature Search
One neat part of that is that you can visit those locations with friends.

Xclash

MetaMember
Dec 13, 2018
Don't know how long this will last but people that can order it, the Samsung Odyssey+ is $229.99 @ B&H.

Reactions: Kuro and ISee

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I think i will upgrade from the Vive to the Index for HLA.

Can anyone who has used both comment on whether the Index is a bit more comfortable to wear for longer periods? I find in the Vive after an hour or two its very hot and heavy and I need to take a break.

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018

Can anyone who has used both comment on whether the Index is a bit more comfortable to wear for longer periods? I find in the Vive after an hour or two its very hot and heavy and I need to take a break.
Well, I have the Vive and the Index and some other HMDs and the Index is the most comfortable by far to wear for longer periods.

Reactions: Joe Spangle

knch

Sep 23, 2019

Still pretty warm after a while, but much more comfortable and just plain better in every other aspect (except maybe black levels/contrast, but the better visuals are worth it)

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
This game might turn out well, eventually, after a lot of work.

They show some nice art and ideas, it's just too early for in-game implementations. And then there's also this game, lol.

Last edited:

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Arizona Sunshine is 66% off (13.49€) on Humble Bundle (Steam Version). Just in case somebody else is currently hunting for a couple of games.

edit: Get it from GMG instead and you'll get the Intel starter pack with it!

edit 2:

Does anybody want a free code for Star Trek:Bridge Crew (Steam: Index, Vive, Oculus, WMR)?
Got one from the Intel 5 games thing on GMG and I already have the game.
PM me, first come...

Last edited:

Amzin

Dec 5, 2018
Amzin I haven't tried it for AGES but have a look at Destinations on Steam.

Oh, it's been removed and incorporated into Steam VR Home. Try some of these:

SteamVR Home - Real + Nature Search
Oh I'd messed around with environments in Steam Home but I didn't connect that they were Workshop items, that makes it way easier to browse through.

I picked up Zero Calibur on GMG, it looks promising. Also apparently I have Raw Data already from... somewhere, no idea, I added it to my library long before I bought VR so :unsure:

With Turkey-day-timed sales starting off I grabbed myself a new phone and am shopping around for some other things but still really would enjoy upgrading to an Index but gotta mind my wallet for sure. My raise this year was not much.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Motion Sickness was a lot better today. I feel a tiny bit dizzy after 1.5h in lone echo (my only game time today), but I was even able to turn myself while flying around at high speed. I had to close my eyes on day one when accidentally pushing myself away from a wall with too much force. So that's a huge progress imo.
I'm optimistic I'll be able to overcome motion sickness, eventually.
How long did it take you guys btw?

Reactions: Alextended

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Is that Samsung Odyssey Plus headset a decent choice? It's currently priced at 260 euros with shipping from Amazon. I probably won't buy it but I have to admit that it is tempting me. Damn you Valve!

Reactions: lashman and ISee

Amzin

Dec 5, 2018
Is that Samsung Odyssey Plus headset a decent choice? It's currently priced at 260 euros with shipping from Amazon. I probably won't buy it but I have to admit that it is tempting me. Damn you Valve!
It's what I have, for 1/4 the price of the Index it's hard to argue with. The only issue I have had with it so far is that after a couple hours it does start to get uncomfortable (although that's with glasses), and the hand tracking is mildly less great than the rigs where you set up room sensors. I haven't had any real issues with it though from a gameplay perspective.

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
I was thinking about reviewing Doctor Who; I'm not a fan, but I know ppl who are. Plate too full though.

Espire 1 looks magnificent. I think I will hop on that when things slow down in December/January.

It's early Access, but I highly recommend Spectro. It's basically a Ghostbusters sim.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
It's good. I don't have any compatibility issues, and tracking is decent. Obv. not as good as the other choices, but pretty good for that price. My only negative comes with the fit of the headset. It is a true PC headset though, you can mod it pretty easily to improve comfort.

If you (or anyone else) plan to pick it up, make sure to run the WMR PC Check from the Windows Store just to make sure you're all set.

Reactions: ISee and Alexandros

Jav

Question everything, learn nothing
Sep 17, 2019
So, what kind of gpu will I need for the whole Index and HL: Alyx thing?

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Motion Sickness was a lot better today. I feel a tiny bit dizzy after 1.5h in lone echo (my only game time today), but I was even able to turn myself while flying around at high speed. I had to close my eyes on day one when accidentally pushing myself away from a wall with too much force. So that's a huge progress imo.
I'm optimistic I'll be able to overcome motion sickness, eventually.
How long did it take you guys btw?
Honestly, it depends on the game and the person but you'll get used to some games really quickly others not so much. Sometimes it's because the implementation is a bit rough rather than your endurance being low.

Don't push it, take it easy and stop and take a break if you start feeling squiffy, don't think "I'll push through this!" as Sim Sickness used to hit me harder if i tried. I don't really remember how long it took but I'd find my sessions would last longer and longer. I can do hours in something like AudioShield and my housemate who can do RoomScale stuff plays stuff like Serious Sam or Arizona Sunshine all night now.

Vertigo still hits me like a ton of bricks though. Even something like GunJack, which is effectively Space Invaders, dead simple but fun and worth a go if it's on sale, can make me tense up a bit with some of it's environments. You can really feel like you're sitting in a bubble on a stalk pushed out from the side of a Capital Ship in a void above a planet with an asteroid field and incoming ships. Actually it's a good one to demo to people, you aim by looking and fire with the triggers.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Here's a video of Oculus Quest working as a PC VR set.

Seems like it works pretty good so good news for you warp. She does mention compression artifacts and stuff but no perceived gameplay lag which is good. I imagine the official cable or equivalently good third party cables made for such purposes could help with the visual side.

I don't think we could see the lag from such a recording though, we could be getting what the PC would see rather than what it streams to the Quest so get no lag (as the inputs are probably prioritized and send asap vs the larger data of the video stream) regardless so we have to trust their (and others) word I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: warp_

TheTrain

MetaMember
Jun 11, 2019
I'm trying to organize everything for the VR guys, can you tell me how much space I should have for a standing setup? Room scale is out of question, I have the space right now but I planned a different setup on the "hobby room" that I use daily.

Reactions: lashman

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I have a Standing area that's tiny only about 1.2m by 1.5m and it seems fine for the games i play. Basically i have the area in front of my PC Desk when i move the chair out of the way. It's not ideal but it works.

I have my lighthouses up on decorator's stands with camera grips as they take up less space than a tripod so i won't kick them and i don't have any shelves to put them on anyway. I have these but others are available :)

Wolfcraft Decorator Stands - Amazon UK

According to the Vive FAQ:

For room scale VR you will need a minimum of 2 meters by 1.5 meters of free space (6.5ft x 5ft), and the maximum distance between base stations is 5 meters (16ft).

In addition to room scale VR, Vive supports seated and standing VR experiences, both of which do not have a minimum space requirement.

Valve Vive FAQ

Last edited:

TheTrain

MetaMember
Jun 11, 2019
I have a Standing area that's tiny only about 1.2m by 1.5m and it seems fine for the games i play. Basically i have the area in front of my PC Desk when i move the chair out of the way. It's not ideal but it works.

I have my lighthouses up on decorator's stands with camera grips as they take up less space than a tripod so i won't kick them and i don't have any shelves to put them on anyway. I have these but others are available :)

Wolfcraft Decorator Stands - Amazon UK

According to the Vive FAQ:

For room scale VR you will need a minimum of 2 meters by 1.5 meters of free space (6.5ft x 5ft), and the maximum distance between base stations is 5 meters (16ft).

In addition to room scale VR, Vive supports seated and standing VR experiences, both of which do not have a minimum space requirement.

Valve Vive FAQ
That's basically how I want to setup the play space, kicking away the chair whenever I put my headset on and play in VR. I've yet to take the exact measurement of how much space I have but I think that I'm around 1m x 1.5m (Even 2.5m in lenght, my only issues is the width) without anything around my arm. Should be good enough...