Community The MetaVerse VR thread (hardware/software/etc, all platforms)

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Moved this to a new post for the new page :p
Boneworks is an experimental VR physics action adventure game coming to you on December 10th! Witness the events that unravel after Monogon’s MythOS locks down after an unexpected Void breach. Then, play for endless hours with a physics sandbox mode, battle arena, and story replays for additional powerful items.

The video makes the game look pretty polished but as a trailer it sucks (I guess it trumps fake scripted shit). Can't wait though (Stormland will help, 5 days left)!

They kinda killed the hype with it. I'm sure every VR user still looks forward to it but I was hoping for a media blowout that would get everyone talking about it like the first demonstrations of the game. This was like, if Half-Life trailers just showed Freeman walk down some corridors, smash some boxes, push some buttons and maybe shoot a little on the side. It works to show me the physics/polish/VR and underlying systems but not to excite the average gamer.

Some more recent cool stuff reposted for the new page to kick off nicely:

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
This is looking pretty good. Perhaps not THE Indiana Jones game one day we could have since it doesn't have free locomotion and stuff but it seems to nicely hide the lack of moving around with all the magical machinery moving parts taking you to the different challenges as you progress. It looks well made if tacky!

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Yep, posted their last gameplay tweet here. They replaced the guns since:

Re Pistol Whip.

The Deadeye modifier (which disables aiming assist) makes the game feel like an old school tough as nails lightgun shooter. Which is great for me because I suck at rhythm games (if it wasn't for the haptic feedback I wouldn't even understand the beat of some of these songs, they're not what I usually listen to).

Still, I really don't think anyone will be able to both play Deadeye and keep the rhythm aspect of the game in mind in the higher difficulty scenarios. Then again some of the Beat Saber players out there appear to be superhuman too so I could easily be eating crow about this soon enough.

I do think it should have different scroreboards for some of the modifiers though, not just alter the one main score by + and - percentages based on them. Deadeye is one that should have its own scoreboard. Maybe it should be a different mode of play altogether in the main menu rather than appear as just a modifier. And maybe Dual Wield shouldn't have as much of a penalty in that as for most people it's gonna be impossible to be ambidextrous in that way and aim well with both hands anyway, the bonus bullets only being a benefit for bonus real skill. Or just not have the same modifiers as the main mode of play, I dunno.

I don't know if some levels/difficulties will even be possible to complete at all in Deadeye, score considerations be damned. There are instances with TONS of enemies that you normally just vaguely point at and pull the trigger like mad for a killing streak, you can kill folks behind your back that you missed without even looking at them and so on, Deadeye doesn't work like that so it could be literally impossible to get through. Although, again, it would be cool if Deadeye was its own mode of play, maybe ditching the rhythmic aspect altogether, possibly adding things like a max payne style slow motion gauge you can fill up with accurate killing streaks and then spend on the more insane sections that would otherwise be impossible.

Stuff like that. It really works great as an arcade style shooter even if that wasn't their primary intention. Again, great for me, I'm not much into rhythm stuff.

Also, the game's super polished, but they need to add the modifier information in game, I still don't know what some do and the menus some times bork. Additionally, it could do with some kind of arcade mode that lets you play through various levels in succession rather than just the level. Especially since they have a lot of things that try to make it like a little bit of a story rather than just a track selection as in Beat Saber and other music based games.

Other than these it's near perfect! I'm sure it's going to be a mainstay for anyone who has the slightest interest in rhythm games. Maybe for others like me too! So it should be very successful and that should let them keep updating and adding to it (and not just more songs).

Also I got a good score on 2 levels' easy mode, 3 & 5! On the others I'm like 250th. Probably 2500th by next month once more people play, lol.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Oh, I totally missed this recent night time video of Armored Front: WW2 Tank Warfare. Cool stuff!
Into the Radius Patch Notes:

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
These are the results of this year's VR Awards.

Carmack got a lifetime achievement award and had a recorded video message to accept it. He always dwells so much on what's not yet done over what's been achieved. Maybe that's the kind of person it takes for progress but I really hope he's happier outside work & that kind of talk is just him trying to push people.

VR Hardware of the Year: Oculus Quest
VR Game of the Year: A Fisherman’s Tale by Innerspace VR & ARTE France
VR Experience of the Year: Vader Immortal: A Star Wars VR Series – Episode I by ILMxLAB & Oculus Studios
VR Film of the Year: Wolves in the Walls: It’s All Over by Fable Studio, Third Rail Projects & Oculus Story Studio
VR Marketing of the Year: Oasis Pocket Adventure: The Infrunite Slide
Rising VR Company of the Year: Fable Studio
Innovative VR Company of the Year: Emblematic Group
VR Education and Training of the Year: Working at Height by Vodafone & Make Real
VR Healthcare of the Year: Fundamental Surgery
Out-of-home VR Entertainment of the Year: War Remains by MWM Immersive & Flight School Studio
VR Social Impact Award: The 100% – Maggie’s Story by Springbok Entertainment
VR Enterprise Solution of the Year: VIROO: Virtualware Immersive Room by Virtualware

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
The doctor is in the house!

Edit: I tried it and it's probably a pretty decent adventure, especially for Doctor Who fans (I really never got into it, it's decidedly too weird and British for me), but it's brought down by object/puzzle interactions that are just too rigid when in VR they should be far more natural and convenient. For example there's a puzzle where you open a safe with a numeric key lock but to use it you just shove your hand on it rather than try to actually push the buttons manually (there are no gestures beyond open/closed fist so you can't point accurately, the hand positions are a little bit off for Oculus Touch also) and it inputs 4 wrong random digits as you do it 4 times, then only after you find the clues does it automatically input the 4 correct digits when you repeat the process. Additionally, while snap turning and teleporting are fine, smooth turning and free locomotion are too slow even on the fastest settings making it unplayable. I guess they could patch this to fix it for those who want the smooth/free options but I don't imagine they will overhaul object interactions. The visuals are pretty nice, it all seems decidedly doctor-esque and very clean even on my CV1, I was worried it would be a jagged mess or hurt my eyes with all that bloom but it's actually pretty, especially the environments. I've only encountered a couple other, well, character-ish models and they're not as good but also for now they've been kept at distance/hidden by darkness, things like that so it's hard to say exactly. I guess overall it feels like a good and polished VR adventure... from 2016.

Last edited:

fantomena

Oh captain my captain.
Dec 17, 2018
We're getting a lot of VR releases now.

Doctor Who today

14th nov:

14th nov:

14th nov:

10th dec:

12th dec:

Other 2019 games without dates (may be pushed into 2020, but who knows):

Phantom: Covert Ops (Oculus exclusive)

And maybe Valves Half-Life VR game.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Yes, I've been posting about most of it, recently in the last couple of pages for some of it. Espire 1 was meant to be already out but last minute performance bugs have delayed it. I imagine Onslaught may be delayed too. VR Ping Pong Pro should release some time today and Last Labyrinth today/tomorrow depending on time zone. There's no confirmed Half-Life VR as of now but an equally exciting (or one and the same) flagship VR game by Valve. I think they could delay that too in order to give Boneworks some breathing room as they have some kind of relationship with its developers but who knows.

Edit: the last Espire 1 progress update for posterity.

Last edited:

TheGreenArrow

MetaMember
Nov 20, 2018
Set up my VR for the first time in like 8 months and grabbed Gorn while on sale. Verrrrry fun game but the movement gave me a killer headache. Had to refund :/
How is the movement in Blade & Sorcery? I have very limited movement space.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Analog stick movement for traversing the maps, room scale/standing for your toe to toe fighting. That's how most action based free roaming games are these days. Maybe you can get used to it if you play some more, starting with slower paced non-action games or games where you can both teleport and use analog stick movement like In Death but if not then games where you don't move around like Beat Saber (possibly also like Pistol Whip but the constant forward movement could trigger you perhaps) or teleport movement games like Budget Cuts are probably your best bet. There are plenty of those.

Last edited:

TheGreenArrow

MetaMember
Nov 20, 2018
Analog stick movement for traversing the maps, room scale/standing for your toe to toe fighting. That's how most action based free roaming games are these days. Maybe you can get used to it if you play some more, starting with slower paced non-action games or games where you can both teleport and use analog stick movement like In Death but if not then games where you don't move around like Beat Saber (possibly also like Pistol Whip but the constant forward movement could trigger you perhaps) or teleport movement games like Budget Cuts are probably your best bet. There are plenty of those.
Analogue movement would probably be okay for me after getting used to it. Gorn’s is kinda weird. You hold down a button and use your arms to move around. Was very difficult when people were behind me haha

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Oh. I'm pretty sure in the options you could switch to analog stick in Gorn. I must have done so, I recalled it being quite similar. But Blade & Sorcery is better imo anyway (but for now doesn't have any of the progression stuff with better equipment as you progress and shit, but it will). Always check options in VR games, with different people reacting differently to different locomotion methods sometimes they include very diverse settings to make sure it works out.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
This just came out. I'll see if I prefer it over Racket Fury which was pretty good and had decent single player content, this looks potentially more involving.

There are new videos on youtube, most of the PSVR version. It looks pretty good but no details on things like the online lag yet (or eventual player base).

The Last Labyrinth released too, they bumped it up, it said 13 hours left just a little bit ago. I hate how limited control appears but it seems to be the point.

Crazy pricing though, $40/45EUR, what the hell are they thinking. How much did they spend on the voice actor of the little girl to demand this. We'll see...

Thief Simulator VR just came out in early access. The non VR version has a fairly positive image and they seem to be doing a proper in depth port too...

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Short interview but some good insights, like in how to achieve good looking, polished, intuitive interactions that still make the player feel in full control of it.
“Much like controlling a character in a [non-VR] game, we found that the [interactions which feel best] aren’t the ones where the game literally honors the inputs one-to-one, but instead intuits what the player is trying to do and helps them do it. This is most apparent when picking things up—[Stormland doesn’t] get too picky about having [the player’s] hand close enough or the right orientation; we generally try to make the interaction work in as many circumstances as possible.”
“The best place to put your polish is where you expect players’ attention to be,” Daly says. “In many cases, this is the hand-to-world interactions. These interactions are worth the effort to make them look and sound as good as possible because of both the player’s attention on them and the frequency & regularity at which they occur. The time when it’s passable [in a VR game] to have objects blink into your hands or your hand snap between poses is behind us.”
2 days left!

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Various tubers got to play this early and are now showing off. I won't be posting all of them, I just chose one at random. Anyway, one damn day left!

Edit: I'll just leave this here for reviews, who even cares about whatever random "media outlets" any more.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Reviews are coming for this too, again I'll just link this to not spam for every new one.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Reviews are coming for this too, again I'll just link this to not spam for every new one.
And it's out.

Still waiting for Stormland to go live on Oculus store, dammit. Edit: aaaand it's here, finally!

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Quest seems to be moving software really well, the Steam and Rift versions don't have anywhere near those numbers yet. Of course it could be that Quest users are more prone to leaving reviews or that the specific game doesn't have many advantages on more powerful hardware vs Quest's untethered experience and so on. Even Beat Saber has tons more reviews on Steam than Quest so it's not going to be a rule for everything but it's still interesting to see. Any developer that's not being too ambitious with the game's visuals, physics, scale, or anything that would stop it from being ported to Quest should make a port happen.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
The Quest version of The Climb looks pretty good, Cryengine's scalability is ace. Trailer, can't embed:

fantomena

Oh captain my captain.
Dec 17, 2018
There's a clear graphical difference between TheClimb on PCVR and Quest. PCVR version looks really good. I wonder how manu Quest owners will just play it on Oculus Link.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Or since it looks great as it is how many will play it on Quest just to be free of the cabling. With the cable pulleys I've got I occasionally do have to feel around it if I do too many actions above my head while also moving/turning (though of course it's way better than tangling it at my feet) and this is all about climbing so...

This looks good as far as arena shooters go but going by some reviews of the non-VR version there's not too much content or progression.

The same developers also have a decently received adventure game with both VR and non VR versions:

And something unrelated. The second tweet it old but just to show what the project is since just a #screenshotsaturday does nothing for that, lol.

And more of the promising Crunch Element

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Vengeful Rites is progressing very nicely once again. I don't play with teleport but it's cool how they accommodate any locomotion method like that even with mechanics like noise levels for stealth, I haven't seen that before (but maybe it's been done, of course this isn't a new feature discussed in this video, it's old).

Also I forgot to write about the Until You Fall update. I only wrote that it would release on the 14th a couple days prior and then forgot to say it came out, lol.
Players can now experience the highly-anticipated finale to the Shattered Woods campaign, complete with all-new environments, mysterious encounters, and driving synthwave music. In addition to the expansive new landscapes, players will also encounter two new ferocious enemies. Joining forces with the existing Unraveled, the Empowered Captain and Empowered Spellweaver will fight to take down the land of Rokar. Brave Rune Knights can enter the Industrial Outskirts and experience their final encounter with the Aether Horror. To aid in combat, players will be able to wield the strength of two powerful new weapons, the Twin Katars. These one-of-a-kind punching daggers can be used together or separately with other weapons for a unique and customizable fighting experience.

Last edited: