Community The MetaVerse VR thread (hardware/software/etc, all platforms)

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
Is that Samsung Odyssey Plus headset a decent choice? It's currently priced at 260 euros with shipping from Amazon. I probably won't buy it but I have to admit that it is tempting me. Damn you Valve!
It's what I have, for 1/4 the price of the Index it's hard to argue with. The only issue I have had with it so far is that after a couple hours it does start to get uncomfortable (although that's with glasses), and the hand tracking is mildly less great than the rigs where you set up room sensors. I haven't had any real issues with it though from a gameplay perspective.

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
I was thinking about reviewing Doctor Who; I'm not a fan, but I know ppl who are. Plate too full though.

Espire 1 looks magnificent. I think I will hop on that when things slow down in December/January.

It's early Access, but I highly recommend Spectro. It's basically a Ghostbusters sim.

Nabs

Hyper-Toxic, Pro-Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Is that Samsung Odyssey Plus headset a decent choice? It's currently priced at 260 euros with shipping from Amazon. I probably won't buy it but I have to admit that it is tempting me. Damn you Valve!
It's good. I don't have any compatibility issues, and tracking is decent. Obv. not as good as the other choices, but pretty good for that price. My only negative comes with the fit of the headset. It is a true PC headset though, you can mod it pretty easily to improve comfort.

If you (or anyone else) plan to pick it up, make sure to run the WMR PC Check from the Windows Store just to make sure you're all set.

Reactions: ISee and Alexandros

EdwardTivrusky

See You Hyper-Toxic Computer Cowboy
Dec 8, 2018
Motion Sickness was a lot better today. I feel a tiny bit dizzy after 1.5h in lone echo (my only game time today), but I was even able to turn myself while flying around at high speed. I had to close my eyes on day one when accidentally pushing myself away from a wall with too much force. So that's a huge progress imo.
I'm optimistic I'll be able to overcome motion sickness, eventually.
How long did it take you guys btw?
Honestly, it depends on the game and the person but you'll get used to some games really quickly others not so much. Sometimes it's because the implementation is a bit rough rather than your endurance being low.

Don't push it, take it easy and stop and take a break if you start feeling squiffy, don't think "I'll push through this!" as Sim Sickness used to hit me harder if i tried. I don't really remember how long it took but I'd find my sessions would last longer and longer. I can do hours in something like AudioShield and my housemate who can do RoomScale stuff plays stuff like Serious Sam or Arizona Sunshine all night now.

Vertigo still hits me like a ton of bricks though. Even something like GunJack, which is effectively Space Invaders, dead simple but fun and worth a go if it's on sale, can make me tense up a bit with some of it's environments. You can really feel like you're sitting in a bubble on a stalk pushed out from the side of a Capital Ship in a void above a planet with an asteroid field and incoming ships. Actually it's a good one to demo to people, you aim by looking and fire with the triggers.

Reactions: ISee

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Here's a video of Oculus Quest working as a PC VR set.

Seems like it works pretty good so good news for you warp. She does mention compression artifacts and stuff but no perceived gameplay lag which is good. I imagine the official cable or equivalently good third party cables made for such purposes could help with the visual side.

I don't think we could see the lag from such a recording though, we could be getting what the PC would see rather than what it streams to the Quest so get no lag (as the inputs are probably prioritized and send asap vs the larger data of the video stream) regardless so we have to trust their (and others) word I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: warp_

TheTrain

Jun 11, 2019
I'm trying to organize everything for the VR guys, can you tell me how much space I should have for a standing setup? Room scale is out of question, I have the space right now but I planned a different setup on the "hobby room" that I use daily.

Reactions: lashman

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I have a Standing area that's tiny only about 1.2m by 1.5m and it seems fine for the games i play. Basically i have the area in front of my PC Desk when i move the chair out of the way. It's not ideal but it works.

I have my lighthouses up on decorator's stands with camera grips as they take up less space than a tripod so i won't kick them and i don't have any shelves to put them on anyway. I have these but others are available :)

Wolfcraft Decorator Stands - Amazon UK

According to the Vive FAQ:

For room scale VR you will need a minimum of 2 meters by 1.5 meters of free space (6.5ft x 5ft), and the maximum distance between base stations is 5 meters (16ft).

In addition to room scale VR, Vive supports seated and standing VR experiences, both of which do not have a minimum space requirement.

Valve Vive FAQ

Last edited:

TheTrain

Jun 11, 2019
I have a Standing area that's tiny only about 1.2m by 1.5m and it seems fine for the games i play. Basically i have the area in front of my PC Desk when i move the chair out of the way. It's not ideal but it works.

I have my lighthouses up on decorator's stands with camera grips as they take up less space than a tripod so i won't kick them and i don't have any shelves to put them on anyway. I have these but others are available :)

Wolfcraft Decorator Stands - Amazon UK

According to the Vive FAQ:

For room scale VR you will need a minimum of 2 meters by 1.5 meters of free space (6.5ft x 5ft), and the maximum distance between base stations is 5 meters (16ft).

In addition to room scale VR, Vive supports seated and standing VR experiences, both of which do not have a minimum space requirement.

Valve Vive FAQ
That's basically how I want to setup the play space, kicking away the chair whenever I put my headset on and play in VR. I've yet to take the exact measurement of how much space I have but I think that I'm around 1m x 1.5m (Even 2.5m in lenght, my only issues is the width) without anything around my arm. Should be good enough...

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
Here's a video of Oculus Quest working as a PC VR set.

Seems like it works pretty good so good news for you warp. She does mention compression artifacts and stuff but no perceived gameplay lag which is good. I imagine the official cable or equivalently good third party cables made for such purposes could help with the visual side.

I don't think we could see the lag from such a recording though, we could be getting what the PC would see rather than what it streams to the Quest so get no lag (as the inputs are probably prioritized and send asap vs the larger data of the video stream) regardless so we have to trust their (and others) word I guess.
Awesome, the positive early reviews of Link pushed me over the edge into getting the Quest. I figure the tech can probably only get better from here. My wife will mostly want to use it wireless for Beat Saber but the option to plug it in for more in-depth PCVR was exactly what I wanted.

I may end up getting the official cable at some point but I went with a short C->USB3 A cable and a longer powered extension cord combo (about 19 ft total) that was getting a lot of positive comments on Reddit:

USB Type C Cable, Syncwire 3.3ft Premium Braided USB C to USB 3.0
CableCreation Active USB Extension Cable

Last edited:
Reactions: ISee

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
So some of us could get you a Samsung HMD Odyssey Plus Mega Ultra 64 (some companies and their naming schemes...). Or at least make it a bit cheaper.
ohhh ... nah, i don't do that stuff :p accept gifts/donations/whatever, i mean ... especially from friends

thanks, though :photoblobheart:

ISee

loves cookies
Mar 1, 2019
ohhh ... nah, i don't do that stuff :p accept gifts/donations/whatever, i mean ... especially from friends

thanks, though :photoblobheart:
The second time I wish for a dislike button on this forum.

It's out of egoistic reasons btw. A VR headset would mean you'd be less often here and we'd have more time to talk about you behind your back!

fantomena

Oh captain my captain.
Dec 17, 2018
New VR owners, I recommend Alien Isolations VR mod. It's actually pretty good.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
ONLY to be played alongside this mod:

We could also gift @lashman some of the finest, most anime anime VR games.
i'd rather die

fantomena

Oh captain my captain.
Dec 17, 2018
Also, not long to go for Boneworks. Holy freakingh shit I cannot wait for that game. Might try to stream it once it releases on december 10th.

Remember, Boneworks is from a tiny (10 people) indie studio and it looks freaking nuts.

It's for Index, Rift, Vive and WMR.

This is Index gameplay from june:

Some combat from april:

Reactions: lashman and ISee

ISee

loves cookies
Mar 1, 2019

Are you crazy? I barely made it through the normal version!

This is Index gameplay from june:
:oops:
That bihander combat...
I assume Rift S will also work?

Prodigy

sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
I am selling my one car and going to use that to buy a quest. Half-life is honestly the one game that would make me do that. Luckily there are some other great games for vr as well.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Looks like crazy good explosive mayhem and fun :)

Edit: and an update from Nimso, we might get a playable demo of his Boneworks-like tech soon. Ish.

And he just got hired by a big company to work on a VR project. Cool! Edit: oh, it's Ubisoft! Kinda hype.

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
TheTrain I remembered one issue with some games and a small space is that because of my desk sometimes picking items up off the floor can be a problem if they are placed below my desktop which obscures the tracking. I can't remember the couple of games i had that problem with at the moment though. Sorry.

Reactions: TheTrain

ISee

loves cookies
Mar 1, 2019
The part here where he uses a chair to reach up onto a ledge, finds himself just barely out of reach of an ammo crate, and then takes out his weapon to nudge it off is some good shit.
Or him forcing the body into the closet. Like what?!
And the katana...

Could you imagine a Jedi game with force powers and those kind of interactions?

fantomena

Oh captain my captain.
Dec 17, 2018
Im so sad Valve Index has yet to ship to Norway. Good thing my Rift is still great and working, but I have the money for the Index so Im ready to buy it, but Im not gonna go through the many hoops of getting it from somewhere outside.

Reactions: lashman and ISee