Community The MetaVerse VR thread (hardware/software/etc, all platforms)

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
Here's a video of Oculus Quest working as a PC VR set.

Seems like it works pretty good so good news for you warp. She does mention compression artifacts and stuff but no perceived gameplay lag which is good. I imagine the official cable or equivalently good third party cables made for such purposes could help with the visual side.

I don't think we could see the lag from such a recording though, we could be getting what the PC would see rather than what it streams to the Quest so get no lag (as the inputs are probably prioritized and send asap vs the larger data of the video stream) regardless so we have to trust their (and others) word I guess.
Awesome, the positive early reviews of Link pushed me over the edge into getting the Quest. I figure the tech can probably only get better from here. My wife will mostly want to use it wireless for Beat Saber but the option to plug it in for more in-depth PCVR was exactly what I wanted.

I may end up getting the official cable at some point but I went with a short C->USB3 A cable and a longer powered extension cord combo (about 19 ft total) that was getting a lot of positive comments on Reddit:

USB Type C Cable, Syncwire 3.3ft Premium Braided USB C to USB 3.0
CableCreation Active USB Extension Cable

Last edited:
Reactions: ISee

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
So some of us could get you a Samsung HMD Odyssey Plus Mega Ultra 64 (some companies and their naming schemes...). Or at least make it a bit cheaper.
ohhh ... nah, i don't do that stuff :p accept gifts/donations/whatever, i mean ... especially from friends

thanks, though :photoblobheart:

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
ohhh ... nah, i don't do that stuff :p accept gifts/donations/whatever, i mean ... especially from friends

thanks, though :photoblobheart:
The second time I wish for a dislike button on this forum.

It's out of egoistic reasons btw. A VR headset would mean you'd be less often here and we'd have more time to talk about you behind your back!

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
New VR owners, I recommend Alien Isolations VR mod. It's actually pretty good.

Reactions: lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
New VR owners, I recommend Alien Isolations VR mod. It's actually pretty good.
ONLY to be played alongside this mod:

We could also gift @lashman some of the finest, most anime anime VR games.
i'd rather die

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Also, not long to go for Boneworks. Holy freakingh shit I cannot wait for that game. Might try to stream it once it releases on december 10th.

Remember, Boneworks is from a tiny (10 people) indie studio and it looks freaking nuts.

It's for Index, Rift, Vive and WMR.

This is Index gameplay from june:

Some combat from april:

Reactions: lashman and ISee

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
I am selling my one car and going to use that to buy a quest. Half-life is honestly the one game that would make me do that. Luckily there are some other great games for vr as well.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Looks like crazy good explosive mayhem and fun :)

Edit: and an update from Nimso, we might get a playable demo of his Boneworks-like tech soon. Ish.

And he just got hired by a big company to work on a VR project. Cool! Edit: oh, it's Ubisoft! Kinda hype.

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
TheTrain I remembered one issue with some games and a small space is that because of my desk sometimes picking items up off the floor can be a problem if they are placed below my desktop which obscures the tracking. I can't remember the couple of games i had that problem with at the moment though. Sorry.

Reactions: TheTrain

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
The part here where he uses a chair to reach up onto a ledge, finds himself just barely out of reach of an ammo crate, and then takes out his weapon to nudge it off is some good shit.
Or him forcing the body into the closet. Like what?!
And the katana...

Could you imagine a Jedi game with force powers and those kind of interactions?

Reactions: lashman

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Im so sad Valve Index has yet to ship to Norway. Good thing my Rift is still great and working, but I have the money for the Index so Im ready to buy it, but Im not gonna go through the many hoops of getting it from somewhere outside.

Reactions: lashman and ISee

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
I've been using a i7-6900K + GTX 1080 for my HTC Vive. Are there any reasons to be concerned about upgrading to the Valve Index (Larger resolution, 120Hz+, etc.)?

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
More Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners stuff!
Can't wait for this game since that one Node play session, these dev videos are neat too.
I've been using a i7-6900K + GTX 1080 for my HTC Vive. Are there any reasons to be concerned about upgrading to the Valve Index (Larger resolution, 120Hz+, etc.)?
I would hope not, lol. But we're already at the point games "recommend" 1080 level GPUs sadly.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I just bought my first VR headset (Odyssey+). What games would you recommend to get started?
First dabble in the tutorials and easy to get used to/free apps like The Lab. You don't want to go too crazy for the first few experiences.

What kind of games do you like to play, that's kinda like asking just any PC game out of the thousands... Single player, online, action, fps, adventure, sports?

Budget Cuts is a cool stealth puzzle-ish adventure game with nicely integrated teleport mechanics, the bigger better sequel is coming soon.

Apex Construct is a good sci fi action adventure game with archery systems at its core.

The Thrill of the Fight is a great boxing game, less fancy than Creed and its Rocky license but a really good sim.

Pistol Whip is the new kid on the rhythm game block, I love it and don't even play it as a rhythm game but as some funky cool new Virtua Cop-like.

In Death is a fun archery based rogue-lite I spent many hours in early on, it has cool teleportation methods as well as free locomotion now.

SUPERHOT VR is a fun puzzle action game with cool slow motion mechanics.

Racket Fury is a very polished table tennis game.

Catch & Release is a nifty fishing game.

Moss is a fun little third person action adventure, you guide a sword wielding mouse around as if you're looking at a diorama of a fairy tale.

Space Junkies is a PVP zero gravity arena FPS, like Quake in space, good for some instant action. Ubisoft is done with it but it's highly polished anyway.

Ultrawings is a nice flight game, not quite a sim, maybe a bit like pilot wings, goals and stuff to get through.

Windlands 2 is a cool action adventure with not-web-swinging and archery. It's also co-op capable.

Raw Data is probably the best of the arena/wave type shooter games with different classes, some progression and co-op.

Onward is my favorite "standard" FPS, PVP focused as all but it has co-op I find myself returning to despite dodgy hacky AI. It has the best weapons and gadgets handling in my opinion, if Pavlov is Counter-Strike and Contractors Call of Duty then this is Ghost Recon (the old good ones) in pacing and realism.

Lone Echo is a must play astronaut adventure and the free Echo VR/Arena and its $10 Combat DLC take those zero gravity mechanics to online PVP.

Blade & Sorcery has the best physics based melee combat but doesn't yet have progression and upgrades implemented in the current early access.

There are many great early access games as above, I really like where Vengeful Rites is going as a VR RPG action adventure for example.

There's also the free-for-now A Township Tale alpha to try for some online rpging/surviving/crafting shenanigans.

Last edited:

Oldschool PC

Nov 23, 2019
I'm primarily interested in full singleplayer experiences, but most of them appear to be Oculus store exclusives.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
You can get Batman VR for 4.69€/$5.19 over at CDkeys.com.
It's an impressive VR demo, but just 2h long so I wouldn't recommend buying it at full price for 29.99€. It's the steam version, so it should run with Oculus, Vive and Index. Not sure about the odyssey tbh.

That's an easy decision at that price imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oldschool PC

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I'm primarily interested in full singleplayer experiences, but most of them appear to be Oculus store exclusives.
There are a few of those in my list. There are others too, from Journey for Elysium to Doctor Who to Red Matter to Freediver; Triton Down to whatever else, Many solid adventure and puzzle-ish games especially. You might be able to play Oculus games with revive but there's plenty to play before looking into that stuff :)

Last edited:

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Fallout 4 VR is $6.49/5.89€. But the Steampage says Vive and Index, would this also work with Oculus and Odyssey?

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Vive and Index users can play Oculus exclusives using Revive. They will also work better with Index controllers as they are closer (and of course a step forward) to Oculus Touch.

Fallout 4 VR is $6.49/5.89€. But the Steampage says Vive and Index, would this also work with Oculus and Odyssey?

It should work yes. It has kinda crappy performance, but that's on all VR headsets. I own it, but haven't tried it yet.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I haven't heard good things about the FO4 VR implementation. I can recommend Skyrim if you like it, it worked well and relatively intuitively when I last tried it.

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Regarding FO4VR, I spent ~26 hours playing it so I can comment.

First, the issues:
  • The way the UI was ported isn't particularly good, and the game conceptually often needs too much finnicky UI interaction for smooth VR gameplay.
  • Performance is somewhat sub-par. The game just isn't optimized all that well, even if you consider what it does. It's clear the engine isn't built for VR.
  • For some reason they didn't include the DLC with this -- it's still a lot of content though.
  • General interactivity with objects isn't even close to what you expect from built-fo-VR games.
The second issue is something that's mitigated somewhat in my case by having a top-end PC, but it's still notable. The first one is the primary reason I didn't play the game even more. The further you progress the more cumbersome the inventory management becomes.

Now for the positives:
  • It's really one-of-a-kind currently in terms of VR games. There's no other open world RPG of this scale available. (Well, Skyrim I guess, but unlike FO4 I already played the flat version of that. And I think shooting lends itself better to a straightforward VR "port" than melee)
  • They did a good job on the basics, like shooting, quick item selection, dialogue etc. Even some advanced interactions are pretty well adapted for VR, i.e. building stuff in settlements. Also, it works perfectly with room-scale movement.
  • It supports both teleport and sliding for artificial locomotion, so you can play according to your preferences.
I remember some questlines that were particularly memorable because of VR, like following landmarks to a hidden location. In principle, I think the Bethesda-style first person RPG romp lends itself very well to VR, it would just need a much more involved adaptation effort to truly shine. But it can still be fun for many hours if you have a sufficiently fast PC and can overlook some of the less-than-ideal parts.

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
Wow, it seems the GMG Black Friday sale is the way to go for some cheap intro VR games. I spent $7.50 to get R6 Siege and for their +5 promotion I also got

Rock Band VR (Oculus Store)
Arizona Sunshine
Killing Floor Incursion
Sprint Vector
Star Trek Bridge Crew

:blobcheer:

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I think I'm going to try this janky mod for my Rift S. Rift S audio really isn't great, in ear stuff doesn't fit my left ear, my PC headset adds another cable and also doesn't fit well over the rift s, it's just 25€ and last: I don't mind terrible looking mods.

Maybe also interesting for new Rift Quest Owners.

Reactions: Pommes and lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
This could be something good eventually, they made good adventure games like Mr. Hack Jack before.

I posted this as a reply to the Espire 1 Road to VR review so I figure I might as well paste it in here. They praised the level design so that's why I started writing with that as a focus but I ended up almost reviewing the whole thing so.
Personally I found the level design bad. The actual encounter design (and the challenge missions) was okay enough but the overarching environments were not only nondescript and boring but also quite confusing with no visual or other indication on where you need to go outside constantly using the magical waypointing from your repair tool/taser (which also refused to work in some areas). It became a real problem once the complexity and rate of backtracking was increased, made worse by the unintuitive checkpointing and sectioning off of areas and how you never could even tell when a mission was going to end as it seemed to randomly cut off. The requirement to complete challenge missions before being allowed to continue the rest of the main campaign was weird too.

Additionally, the game never recognized my "freeze" and "open console" commands, I know my accent isn't the greatest but "freeze" at least is super simple and the testing page didn't respond at all for me to at least know if it listens to me at all to then work on the understanding me part. That probably means i can't even complete the hold up challenge missions,as they don't even seem to have any button command for the robot to say "freeze" in your place even though so many buttons on the controllers are completely unused in the game (there aren't even alternate firing modes on the weapons to switch through with the buttons as you can in other FPS like Onward).

Another annoyance was the melee attack, I started off able to knock out guards with a bop on the head but as I played it became apparent that it was super inconsistent, they often just shrugged it off and then raised the alarm even though I did do as wide/fast/strong swings as I could so I ended up wasting tranquilizers at point blank range to be sure (yeah you can use the taser baton thing too). Well, before I ended up going on killing sprees as with all the backtracking while following the magical waypoints it was easier to just kill everyone because going through the checkpoints/sections if I knocked people out instead they'd get back to normal slowing progress down.

I like the core mechanics, it's just so clunky in so many peripheral but equally important ways that I just don't find it very fun even though I love stealth games. I think the best thing about it is how lethal the guards can be so you really want to be stealthy. At least before you discover you can recover health infinitely after going on a killing spree by just waiting for your energy to refill. Maybe if it had an old school item based health system or if raised alarms had constantly respawning via some of the otherwise inaccessible locked doors reinforcements it'd deter people from doing that as the easier way past the challenges.

With a few different design choices it could have been really good (and with better level/mission design amazing even but patches can't fix that part). Fingers crossed for a sequel I guess (or for Panther VR, they seem to have way more robust design ideas for every little detail of their game but we'll see how they can implement them in practice).
Edit: I tried to post it as a reply to the UploadVR review too but they first marked it as spam, maybe because of my constant edits, so I resubmitted it and they never even marked it as spam, just never approved it go online. Meh.

Last edited: