Community MetaSteam | October 2020 - Out of Stock & Out of Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gengis Khan

Goodfella
Jan 26, 2019
Italy
mgmboxeisland.com
Just played a little bit of Squadrons, the tutorial and a bit of the first mission before quitting to figure some settings out. Loads of technical annoyances and quirks on this thing but holy fuck in VR it's simply awesome to be in a TIE fighter cockpit, the scale of everything is spot on, it feels scary to weave around a fleet or structures or whatever and that ship feels appropriately nimble and fragile. I don't think any other game got this so right before and I've played others in VR. I don't imagine the rest of the game design and what not will be on par but they have a solid core here that ideally they will expand on in the future.

I wanted to play with just instruments no HUD (which still has hud elements like a rectangle around your target and crosshair mind) but in the TIE at least it seems impossible. Without arrows to tell you the direction the target you try to follow disappeared toward you have to avert your eyes to the in-cockpit radar because the TIE fighter only has a forward window so you can't just follow the target with your eyes as you dogfight, perhaps it's more doable as a rebel.
I think I'm just gonna park the game in a corner until they fix the above-60fps issue that is afflicting everyone.

Reactions: ISee

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Seemed decently smooth to me, no real stuttering some have reported, though perhaps it didn't run at 90 fps and only 60 (by this I mean I don't know what frame rate it ran at, I didn't have stats enabled, I've disabled overlays after I found they degraded performance in certain games like Doom Eternal, I'm not saying it somehow got locked to 60 for me when I tried to do nothing of the sort, but I'm saying maybe it's possible it did not run optimally yet) I didn't notice yet from the excitement and other issues. It has other things that annoy me. Like how there's a separate controls screen for each device like it expects you to use either one or another, either keyboard and mouse, or a flight stick or a gamepad, or whatever. I don't have a full hotas yet myself so I want to use the flight stick with my keyboard in place of a throttle piece, using the stick inputs for basic flight combat stuff and the keyboard for throttle and targeting and all other functions. Basically what I do so far in all such games, from Freespace 2 to MS Flight Simulator to MechWarrior 4; Mercenaries, they all do combinations well.

Ideally there would be one controls screen and you'd set input from any device you desired separately for each function. Then the game would report that function itself in the relevant messages (including duplicates from diff devices). Instead since it thought I only want to use a flight stick it kept asking me to press button 11 or whatever crap those defaulted to (buttons on the stick's base, not reachable with one hand unless you let go of the stick) when for that stuff I wanted to use a keyboard key instead, it wouldn't accept that input until I pressed that button 11 (even though I'm pretty sure I pressed the keyboard equivalent of that function as I had set it, but perhaps the next point ties into this, maybe it hadn't saved that properly after all so I didn't press the right key).

I think there may be issues with controls resetting or not saving right after customizing or perhaps not saving between the game switching to a different device as default or something cos I had to switch my roll and yaw axis three times before it finally worked as I wanted it to. Still all things considered multiple devices do work in combination so after you learn the controls by heart and get past the tutorials there should be no issues, if it does save properly.

Also I first started it up out of VR and changed it to fullscreen display, then I saw it doesn't really let you mess with settings in detail before starting it but only has some basic options and throws you right in the game so I wanted to experience that in VR so switched to VR and then it just wouldn't work, it just kept minimizing the game on the desktop and when it was like that the VR picture was blank until I brought it back up and it kept doing this lol. So I started it out of VR again, changed it back to borderless and then it did this once with the SteamVR window popping over it, but after I clicked in the game again it stayed good.

Edit: and someone in another forum said that I'm right in that controls reset when switching devices so I guess currently it's unplayable for me as I need custom settings for both my devices and to use them in tandem but until that's patched I can't do that except with the default controls which I don't like. Idk why devs of this sort of game have so much trouble with making control configuration when others managed just fine aeons ago. Like how Ace Combat 7 doesn't even let you configure the controls and only offers presets for specifically supported models of stick/hotas and now this. Just let me set any input on any device.

Last edited:

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
They said cp2077 is shorter because most people didn't finish the game and not because of complaints.
People not finishing their games is unfortunately normal though.
Articles use the word "complaints". Which is complaining =p Even IGN (cough IGN lol cough) mentions it. They were complaining that it was too long lol.

They also said the side quests are going to be complex which mostly has peaked my interest. I bet if I played TW3 at release I wouldn't have minded because that was back then when I was addicted to a MMO lol.

yea I have 82.3 hours in it and I really only remember two of the MQ chain and a side quest. I guess the combat and those side quests where it just ends up being a MMO quest soured me.

I was trying to get to DLC because that what everybody really raves about.

Note I am not saying the game is shit. My statement is saying shit too long isn't necessarily good thing and TW3 to me is a very good example of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: ISee and lashman

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
May try it due to CD mentioning officially that they are making it shorter. Then TW3. Due to complaints.
Not due to complaints, and only the main storyline. I also expect them to put the time they save on the main story into other parts of the game.
I would be quite surprised if you end up liking Cyberpunk , when you hated Witcher 3 for its length and side quests.

• Eyes
Reactions: QFNS and Tomasety

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
The articles and a live feed they literally said due to complaints about length. The length of the MQ may be fine but then you got those massive amount of side quests. Which aren't not very complex for the most part. No clue if it's going to be more then a generic mmo (side) quest either.

That blacksmith quest, which I think is a side quest, was dope. More like that please.

Give the MQ more experience reward so skipping side quests don't feel like you're missing out on advancement or some other system.

Didn't help the combat even on death march was not very engaging, at least not shadow of mordor boring.

Cyberpunk to me looks very promising when compare to TW3. I feel like it is going to have complexity to be engaging.

Last edited:

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I played Among Us for the first time last night and it was fun. I can see why people like it and also why it became much more popular once people started to use voice chat to play with friends.

G impact..... There are just to many of those types of games to play that I don't think I will ever get a chance to really play them. Too many games.

Also I didn't realize that the Fall Guys season 2 was in October 8. I thought season 1 ended over a month ago. Which is one of the reasons that I stopped playing.

October 8 is also when Apex will be doing cross play beta. From my understanding Xbox can play with everyone, PS - Xbox, and PC- Xbox but only as long as you don't change settings on PC otherwise you won't be able to cross play. So it looks like PS and PC will not be able to cross play which is a shame because in Japan the game is rather popular and there is a mix of people that play it on PS4 and on PC there.

I have never played a Bulder Gate before but after seeing that one post I feel like picking it up during Early Access.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Except need dat exp for level ups. I am also talking about parts of the MQ being kind of anticlimatic and very drawn out. I don't need batman vision even with the view change disabled. The last side quest I did was literally a MMO fetch quest using batman vision. Should have done it when it was yellow as green gave really shitty exp lol.
I agree with you on batman vision. I would prefer a different system that would need a bit of actual investigation but I'm not sure if people would have the patience for that. As for the main quest, my only main gripe is the sense of urgency regarding the pursuit of Ciri that doesn't fit with the open-world template.

Last edited:
Reactions: Swenhir

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I agree with you on batman vision. I would prefer a different system that would need a bit of actual investigation but I'm not sure if people would have the patience for that. As for the main quest, my only main gripe is with the sense of urgency regarding the pursuit of Ciri that doesn't fit with the open-world template.
I'm not sure what I am saying this but I just wanted to speak of one part of my own experience with TW3, which is that while it is a very long game indeed... It also has such incredibly high points, both in its main story and aside from it, in the world's content. This game routinely doled out climaxes and moments that would be the grand finale of other games.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I'm not sure what I am saying this but I just wanted to speak of one part of my own experience with TW3, which is that while it is a very long game indeed... It also has such incredibly high points, both in its main story and aside from it, in the world's content. This game routinely doled out climaxes and moments that would be the grand finale of other games.
Absolutely. Personally I found even the smaller sidequests very engaging, almost all of them had an interesting story or an unexpected twist.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
It would’ve been nice if quests were more mechanically varied in TW3, but because they invested that limited pool of resources in fun writing, it didn’t bother me too much. Most quests felt very worthwhile. And for a role playing game, that trade-off makes sense. Perhaps a smaller scoped game (I terms of no. of quests and game world size) that balances both would’ve been better, but I appreciated the scope TW3 was going for in its own way.

CP2077 seemingly not being as grand as TW3 seems promising from this perspective, as long as the meat and potatoes ‘play’ is actually good.

Reactions: sk2k and ISee

Gengis Khan

Goodfella
Jan 26, 2019
Italy
mgmboxeisland.com
My main concern about Cyberpunk at the moment is also the same of one of my least favorite aspects of TW3: the progression system.
Levels were completely pointless and redundant in The Witcher 3 and served no purpose except breaking immersion and introducing stat bloat over time, almost because "levels are expected in RPGs, right?".
The game could have easily relied just on talents unlocks and equipment and if anything they were in need to be toned down in terms of power escalation, too.

I'm afraid it's going to be the same if not worse in CP2077, especially given how the pen & paper was notoriously a level-less system.

Reactions: fearthedawn

guhguh222444

thou who art undead art chosen
Aug 23, 2020
I put about 100 hours into clearing all the W3 content, including DLC.

Honestly not really worth it. The main questline has absurd amounts of filler and the main game's quest zones are mostly dull muddy toiletbowls. There are some serious holes in the game design as well like the item burden mechanic and the ingame currency inflation towards the end of the game. Not like the combat is all that much better either. Not a bad game but let's just say I'm not exactly first in line to preorder Cyberpunk.

Ex-User (119)

Oct 19, 2018
yup i still remember all the rave about you mussssst play witcher 3 the side quests are impressive, just wait till you get to the baron, and then find out most of the baron quest line is actually a main quest line.

the next part being most side quests involve heavy use of witcher 3 sense and follow this sent or blood trail or footstep etc etc.

yea the quests have some nice depth added and are clearly fleshed out but the actual content isnt anything to write home about in being unique

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
If it goes well I should be done with Destroy All Humans today, it's actually a lot of fun with some annoyances here and there. Layers of Fear 2 after that.

Bonfires Down

Nov 18, 2019
Witcher 3 main story was pretty meh. But riding around playing Gwent was a lot of fun. I’m sure there will be enough stuff in Cyberpunk to keep me satisfied and it’s fun to discuss and play such a hyped game.

• Sad

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
To be fair, the only open world game with unique and fresh content I've played this generation was Death Stranding.
And most people call that one boring too.

Reactions: Joe Spangle

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Witcher 3 main story was pretty meh. But riding around playing Gwent was a lot of fun. I’m sure there will be enough stuff in Cyberpunk to keep me satisfied and it’s fun to discuss and play such a hyped game.
I'm a bit the same. I love getting lost in worlds like The Witcher, Odyssey/Origins, Mad Max, Horizon etc... even if some of the content is staid at best. And I rescued and dumped in the ocean the contents of every single one of the floating chests in Skellige, twice.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
To be fair, the only open world game with unique and fresh content I've played this generation was Death Stranding.
And most people call that one boring too.
Death Stranding is great. In the middle of playing it right now. I love how the simple focus on delivering stuff can become such an interesting element of the gameplay.

But it's a very different game from Witcher 3, naturally. To me, Witcher 3 was a bit like a TV show, where I could fire it up, play a few side quests that feel like fun 20 minute episodes each, and then shut it down again. Witcher 3 took me like 200 hours, but I also played it basically through all of 2015 (after its release) and a big chunk of 2016 too. I loved it for that.
Sure, the main story loses a lot of its "urgency", but I don't care, my Witcher isn't someone who rushes through life anyway, He takes his time, enjoys the little things. Definitely the best open-world RPG of all times in my book.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Is the story and mission design any good?
Can't fully judge the story, but so far, it's mediocre Star Wars.

Mission Design is okay, it all comes down to "shoot more enemy ships" in the end, but that's always the case isn't it?
But they are trying to give you great back drops for that like capturing enemy vessels, pave the way so that a boarding team can evacuate a spy etc.
It's by far not as complex as the original Tie-Fighter, but more complex than Wing Commander ever was ;).

• Sad
Reactions: Swenhir and Echoes

fspm

MetaMember
Nov 1, 2018
You guys are crazy, 11 hours is good for a game? As a poor person, I want my games to last at least 100 hours!

Meaty RPGs makes me/
Why don't you install dota. 5k hours of free fun :p

I have found that long ass games quality drops. Hence why I never finished witcher 3. Ignoring the boring combat, most of the quests were so stupid and pointless. I never made it to the third map.
So like witcher 1 then. Boy that game blows, someday I may forget what a chore it was and advance to witcher 2.
And the mc always scratching his ear like an idiot lol.

• Toucan
Reactions: Le Pertti

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Can't fully judge the story, but so far, it's mediocre Star Wars.

Mission Design is okay, it all comes down to "shoot more enemy ships" in the end, but that's always the case isn't it?
But they are trying to give you great back drops for that like capturing enemy vessels, pave the way so that a boarding team can evacuate a spy etc.
It's by far not as complex as the original Tie-Fighter, but more complex than Wing Commander ever was ;).
Thank you! It's a bit disheartening but I hope it will pave the way for deeper and more involved games then.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I put about 100 hours into clearing all the W3 content, including DLC.

Honestly not really worth it. The main questline has absurd amounts of filler and the main game's quest zones are mostly dull muddy toiletbowls. There are some serious holes in the game design as well like the item burden mechanic and the ingame currency inflation towards the end of the game. Not like the combat is all that much better either. Not a bad game but let's just say I'm not exactly first in line to preorder Cyberpunk.
Maybe I'm a slow player, but I have over 200 hours doing all the quests aside from treasure hunts.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Here's how I see the rest of the year going for Club 250.

1. Track pricing data and publish a new chart on the app details page showing this. Often, discounts are linked to boosts in sales, owners and rankings, so displaying this data helps to understand our existing charts better. Moreover, project estimated sales using the review data and average selling price over the game's lifespan. For now, this will just be in USD since branching out to other currencies would greatly increase data acquisition time. If there's time, this might also include redoing the charts because I don't like how they currently look/behave.

2. Recommend games based on tag correlation. Using tag taxonomy to make better sense of the tags in the system and compute the correlation of tags between games, we can leverage this intelligence to recommend similar games to players that enjoyed a particular game. I believe this is a highly sought feature and will also improve discovery and navigation between games, without relying on rankings so much.

3. Power Search. We've mentioned it before, but a fully featured search is also highly sought after to customize finding games according to your criteria, such as tags (inclusive and exclusive), release dates, pricing ranges, review scores and features (such as single/multiplayer).

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Thank you! It's a bit disheartening but I hope it will pave the way for deeper and more involved games then.
It's not that bad.
I'm always recording performance off a new game, just because I like comparing how games run after a system upgrade.
I've recorded the first mission (which is also kind of a tutorial) It's representative of what they are going for with their mission design.
Maybe risk looking. It's the first mission without commentary, if you are willing to ignore the small performance overlay.

You can also play fleet battle in co-op versus AI. It can be quiet entertaining.

Reactions: Swenhir

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
It's not that bad.
I'm always recording performance off a new game, just because I like comparing how games run after a system upgrade.
I've recorded the first mission (which is also kind of a tutorial) It's representative of what they are going for with their mission design.
Maybe risk looking. It's the first mission without commentary, if you are willing to ignore the small performance overlay.

You can also play fleet battle in co-op versus AI. It can be quiet entertaining.
It's pretty much what I figured - and it's not awful! It's a tutorial, though, hard to really criticize it. I'm glad that it seems like maneuverability is rather high. Do you have any amount of drifting from inertia, or is flight simulated such that you can't have a significant angle of attack, where rotation speed is limited depending on your forward velocity?

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Grossing more than China’s TikTok and nabbing more views on Twitch than Fortnite on launch day, the free-to-play action adventure game Genshin Impact marks the biggest international launch of a Chinese game in history, say industry experts.
According to miHoYo co-founder Liu Wei, in earlier comments given to local media, Genshin Impact has a development and marketing budget of more than US$100 million.
:sweaty-blob:

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Do you have any amount of drifting from inertia,...
Oh no, nothing like that. You can make a drift like maneuver that simulates inertia a bit. But only at very high speed (maxed out engines + boost). It's more like activating a skill than physics based though. The flight model itself is quiet simple and similar to the original games.
I hoped for more, but I don't blame them too much for it, It's still Star Wars after all: pure space fantasy. Implementing a good space flight model would dramatically changes how space battle feel between the game and the movies. Star Wars Movies always treated space battles like ww2 air dogfights. I imagine they do not have a lot of leeway here as they are bound to that "fantasy".

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Oh no, nothing like that. You can make a drift like maneuver that simulates inertia a bit. But only at very high speed (maxed out engines + boost). It's more like activating a skill than physics based though. The flight model itself is quiet simple and similar to the original games.
I hoped for more, but I don't blame them too much for it, It's still Star Wars after all: pure space fantasy. Implementing a good space flight model would dramatically changes how space battle feel between the game and the movies. Star Wars Movies always treated space battles like ww2 air dogfights. I imagine they do not have a lot of leeway here as they are bound to that "fantasy".
You are completely right and I think that was the right choice for a game like that, which is probably to many the entry point into flying anything.

The only thing I'd say is that the movies are hellishly hard to translate into a consistent flying model. They display motions and capabilities that are completely inconsistent and it is, I think, flat-out impossible to have a FM that is consistently faithful to them at all. In that light, it seems like they did a darn good job.

According to miHoYo co-founder Liu Wei, in earlier comments given to local media, Genshin Impact has a development and marketing budget of more than US$100 million
:sweaty-blob:
In 2020 that's actually not that much! In absolute terms, that's a crapload but for games... It's not super high, at least in my opinion.

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Monster's Expedition is drawing me in more and more

Was kind of playing it on and off here and there but now I find myself playing it for a few minutes, make progress, quit, do something else, get back to it, play for a few minutes, make progress, quit, etc.

Stops me from continueing Resident Evil 7 :Yossy:

• Hug
Reactions: Rockin' Ranger

FunnyJay