Community The MetaVerse VR thread (hardware/software/etc, all platforms)

Kandrick

Jun 10, 2019
Switzerland
Holy shit, i bought Beat Saber, and played for 94min according to Steam, i had downloaded a few customs songs to get started and damn it's pretty physical, especially since i'm approaching 40, at least i'm not that out of shape or i'd be fucking laying down right now. Most of the custom songs are either hard or expert and up, my body wasn't ready for it haha, :sweaty-blob:

This was the third or so song i tried, and i wasn't expecting the part at 0:23, my back was not ready :sweaty-blob: :sweaty-blob: :sweaty-blob:

But it's pretty fun!

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Me: It of course has to be Anime. sigh
My subconscious:

Beat Saber is on my buy list, but so is boneworks and I can't decide. I'm at least waiting for boneworks impressions first.
There is also this Total Warhammer 2 DLC and the much wanted improved turn times patch that come with it, I just bought Halo:MCC.
Why did December suddenly turned so interesting? And there are so many more games to consider? Ah I know, because I bought a VR headset.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Last edited:

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
wwe was pushing their vr videos today, so i decided to check them out.

it's in an app called next vr, which i guess does a bunch of live sports stuff in vr among other things. watched two videos, one older vid (hhh/batista from wm) and a newer one (women's 3 way at survivor series) and they were both kinda cool but pretty goofy. both matches were edited down to like 5-6 mins, which was weird but they picked all the best shots. the cameras are set up on various places along the floor or on the ringposts and you are kinda looking up at the video at all times, but that's how most vr video seems to be. you can also look around or whatever but there isn't much to see other than the crowd and the match.

hhh/batista started with a giant snickers ad, which was pretty hilarious, and then cut to shortened vids of their entrances. the hhh one looked pretty silly up close. was a little weird for the in-ring action cause any hits would make the post shake so the whole video would shake, pretty disorienting. a ton of shots of batista's ass too, and two good shots of someone getting thrown into the camera or some attacks coming at the camera.

the 3 way match didn't have the camera shake or the giant ad, both of which i was grateful for. it also had less of the forced "omg its coming right at you" and was more just shots of the match from all the different angles. there was one shot of becky doing a dive off the top rope that was SUPER close up, but imo batista has the better ass.

i dunno if i'd actually want to watch a whole ppv like this but for matches i do like it'd be cool to revisit them in vr. there's a live nba game in it on saturday so i might try and check that out to see how it compares.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Probably not wise to release it on same day as RDR2 but oh well, just the early access & I'm sure many VR enthusiasts aren't too phased by RDR2 so, we'll see.

Sounds like the alpha has about half of the planned content with more to come, price will increase for the full launch around march 2020 and early access feedback will be used to improve the current content and balancing and gameplay and immersion and what not as well so it seems like a solid enough plan.

Today's the day!!!

"Boiling Steel" already available in the Early Access on Steam, welcome to the store!

In this game we embodied all the experience of VR development accumulated over the years of our work and implemented the plot from the author of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series with maximal player involvement in it.

We are waiting for you in Steam and will be happy to see your honest rates of the game in the form of recommendations, reviews and feedback.

In honor of the release of our second game we decided to give a gift to all VR gamers - 10% discount on the purchase of "Boiling Steel" and the opportunity to get our first game "Guns'n'Stories: Bulletproof VR" for free.

Hurry up, this offer is limited!

Also, didn't know they have the STALKER author doing the story, hope they improve the translation to make that matter, lol (if the game is like the rest) :)

Edit: I played Boiling Steel for 95 mins straight.

It's not quite what I expected, you'll actually find yourself going back to a base of sorts to upgrade your robot and weapon capabilities between levels. I don't like the slow movement out of combat but in combat with the different weapons and enemy types it makes for a unique deliberate pacing, very different to just a "standard FPS but in VR" (so I guess some might be disappointed it isn't but to me it's cool all the same). Combat is all about managing target priorities and switching between your long and short range weapons accordingly to dispatch them quickly and efficiently. It's pretty basic I guess (so far) but it works well.

Sadly performance isn't great and there are no options outside supersampling and AA. You'll want AA set to at least 2x even if you don't increase anything else to make most of the text readable (on og Rift or similarly low resolution sets) and in the intro I found subtitles unreadable due to the light colors over the bright skyline background. The voice acting brings it down a bit, it takes a major turn for the worse after the intro where you'll be guided by a robotic voice rather than a human and it sounds like a plain text to speech. I can see hints of a decent enough story and I imagine there will be a GladOS or Shodan plot twist at some point but it doesn't really work out so far, maybe if the writing and voice acting was on par with actual GladOS it would (or just seem like a tired copy, I dunno).

Overall it's fun and promising even if I can see it getting repetitive as you switch between short-ish all action missions rather than go on a continuous adventure. Especially if it's also full of padding rather than present new developments, from systems/weapons/upgrades to the plot, at a good pace but there's no evidence of that yet and there were "bonus" missions to choose which I suppose you can ignore on the first run to keep it flowing better.

Last edited:
Reactions: ISee and lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
That looked nice except for the whole no actual combat deal. It'd be a nice metagame to have within a Blade & Sorcery style game, like you could be some smith slash gladiator guy progressing through the ranks and using your fallen enemies' gear as scraps to craft and upgrade your own stuff instead but as it is?

Death Lap for Rift/Quest also released out of nowhere. Kinda scared it's shite honestly, no drum up to release and the only other official video is a teaser?

Oh well, plenty of tubers playing to check it out if you want. Hope it's good fun. It has good reviews on the Oculus store so far (most on the Quest version).
This thing also released there. Hmm.

Their last game was on Gear VR/Oculus Go and seems to have a good rep so it could be good:

Edit: I checked some footage of Death Lap and it doesn't look great to me, it seems super imbalanced in that it's way too easy to kill/die and force an unremarkable respawn than be more about continuous racing as in kart racers (no deaths, just stealing a win) or even wipeout (where if you lose all your energy it's game over for you so it's still mostly about affecting the position than killing outright if one manages their energy levels decently).

It didn't look very fun but maybe that works out in the twisted metal style arenas over the race tracks. Respawning is never a fun way to do things even in arenas imo, I liked the lives system in Mario Kart 64's battle mode where each shot took one balloon of three away before taking the player wholly out (iirc?).

They also have a really cheap way to show many of the weapons as just pointing with a laser on your wrist rather than have something physical in hand (some do). It Just looked off the way he was pulling the controller trigger and that was reflected on thin-air in game yet having the effect of the power up or weapon or whatever from the vehicle. Clashing art style too, all post apoc but cartoony effects and power up boxes, even some rainbow road style track sections.

Well judging a video game from just a short video isn't the way to go, I'm just saying, it all could have looked a lot better.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

Nzyme

Time to get Fit
Sep 19, 2018
Right, I'm getting my space for VR fixed up tomorrow - need to know the best games to acclimate myself with full analogue stick movement?

So far toying with Talos Principal VR, and Arizona Sunshine..

Also gonna get ReVive setup to work through some of the Rift games I haven't tried

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
More rough but promising Lonn stuff.

I like the tapping the back of your hand to switch between color coded modes, people should steal it.
Right, I'm getting my space for VR fixed up tomorrow - need to know the best games to acclimate myself with full analogue stick movement?

So far toying with Talos Principal VR, and Arizona Sunshine..

Also gonna get ReVive setup to work through some of the Rift games I haven't tried
Red Matter has various locomotion options and is a pure adventure game and In Death is an archery action roguelite with teleport and free locomotion that can be combined at will. While it's an action game analog stick movement is just for out of combat really, in combat you're mostly static and room scale move to aim and fire off arrows or bolts and dodge and block what's coming your way, maybe use the nifty teleport shard on top, etc.

Also, no idea what this is, the only other Twin Peaks VR thing I can find is some old fan project that seems to have disappeared off the earth (The Archivist).

Last edited:
Reactions: warp_ and lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Also, no idea what this is, the only other Twin Peaks VR thing I can find is some old fan project that seems to have disappeared off the earth (The Archivist).

Curious.

Last edited:

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
Played Lone Echo a bit today and I really dig it. Started with a cool setup for a tutorial segment and then I got into exploring a bit of the space and getting into the story. Moving around really feels good, VR zero-g floating and maneuvering is easier to manage than I expected and the interaction with the world and dialogue is really smooth too.

However all that zero g floating didn't last real long for me, had to stop after about 30 mins. I'll be back for more but it seems I'll just have to take it slow on the game.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I dunno why this is the only website I've been able to find this on as it seems like pretty big news (if it works). Maybe it's because Vive Focus hasn't really been aimed at the home user (at least in the West, maybe it's different in China) and much like Cosmos appears to be an overpriced and even lesser Rift S, it appears to be a similar take on the Quest. Still, a feature like this could tilt the scales (though Carmack has said they wish to make PC VR on Quest wireless if possible).

At the very least, if it works well, it shows the viability of such a feature for existing/future (not only stand alone) VR sets which would be pretty exciting in itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
It's just a run of the mill arena shooter with a Marvel skin, you aren't missing much. Is what I keep telling myself. I'd probably like it more than their latest game...

Reactions: TheGreenArrow

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Damn, it sounds like NOSTOS could do with a bit more time and polish. I'm really intrigued but i may wait for some patches.

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Damn, it sounds like NOSTOS could do with a bit more time and polish. I'm really intrigued but i may wait for some patches.
Yeah, more than a bit, going by Steam reviews (which can be over-dramatic, but normally not when the trend is this clear).

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Cool location VR shit.

Some of these look really well made these days, not so compromised because of low budget dev or because they need to provide x entertainment per ticket.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Just finished Asgard's Wrath, don't know how much side activities I did, but did some stuff. Game takes around 120gb, so Im glad I can delete it. Just in time for Boneworks.

Not sure if I wanna give it 7.5/10 or 8/10. It was a pretty good game, but had some bugs and obvious flaws like the trashy physics of destroying crates and stuff for loot and the somewhat janky combat system. The world building was fantastic however and it had a lot of content.

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Do you know of any website that let you filter VR games by movement system?

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Well, i never thought they'd go VR with L4D. Is it VR only?
Wasn't this someone's nightmare scenario?

DollEyes

Out of Mana
Apr 17, 2019
Well, i never thought they'd go VR with L4D. Is it VR only?
Wasn't this someone's nightmare scenario?
I think the last rumour I had seen was that you can play it on keyboard or in VR and play together.

what are some good games to games to get used to smooth locomotion?

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Community - The MetaVerse VR thread (hardware/software/etc, all platforms) :p

what are some good games to games to get used to smooth locomotion?
Something good yet slow paced like Red Matter or In Death I guess.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
This is neat, not for entertainment, but cool in that it actually utilizes home grade VR kits/PC rather than some specially manufactured corporate only solution.
Airbus’ VR flight training solution was designed by Captain Shane Carroll, an A320-family pilot and instructor, with his team of professional software developers from the consumer entertainment industry. It will provide portable training with a ‘study & practice tool’ for pilots to train at their home base…or remotely, and is capable of complementing the full flight simulator sessions that are conducted in flight training centres. Imagine training whenever and wherever you want!

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
This thing is getting an early access release soon, I hadn't seen it but it looks pretty promising, I just spotted their latest progress update.
And yes it is a free locomotion FPS (it's kinda hard to tell from that rad looking trailer - seriously, go to the Steam page to watch it). The developer is also all about optimization and performance given that progress update which is always good to see, it says even the first maps they won't release initially could mostly maintain 90fps with the recommended specs (which aren't insane like other recent VR games with a GTX1080 and i7 or whatever, just a modest i5/Ryzen CPU and 1060/480 GPU) but that newer maps can do even better with more shit going on due to improved methods (which they'll apply to the old stuff for release).

Last edited:
Reactions: DollEyes

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Trailer finally up on youtube for the lazy :p

And Karnage Chronicles got a couple nice updates recently.

Last edited: