Community The MetaVerse VR thread (hardware/software/etc, all platforms)

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
So apparently according to Twitter, Paper Beast (released on PSVR yesterday) is a timed exclusive, so it will release on PCVR at some point.

Still waiting for Ghost Giant and Ace Combat 7 VR missions, no idea why they aren't on PCVR yet. AC7 VR missions timed exclusivity ended in january.
That didn't take long.

Reactions: Alextended

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Another B&S patch release, hopefully it fixes the issues some encountered with the last huge update!

Last edited:
Reactions: knch and lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
DreamBack VR is out, it looks pretty promising. Fingers crossed!

A nice look into the Pico Neo 2. I skipped right to the tracking impressions bit. I totally forgot (even though they did make a big deal out of it in all the product showings, haha) it uses a different non camera (and no external trackers) based method for the controller tracking and at least according to this not very in depth look into it, given the lack of games and software, it appears to do a great job. It definitely seems like a glimpse into the future, though it also has drawbacks compared to current products (input layout, comfort factor, the battery life) and it's not (yet?) meant for consumers.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I think this is the only VR thing from the PC Gamer Show I'm glad it's alive, updates have been few...

2-3 days left for the Upload VR show that will have a TON of goodies (I've not posted confirmations).

Dang, Crunch Element is evolving hard and fast. Home base looks inspired by Deep Rock Galactic.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
The preshow is going live now, check back in 30 mins for the real deal (9AM PT/12PM ET/5PM BST).

The Upload VR Showcase: Summer Edition is VR’s official dedicated Showcase, announcing new games and experiences as well as debuting new trailers and features for both the titles you love and the ones you can’t wait to play.

We’ll have new game announcements from some of VR’s biggest studios, like Fast Travel Games. Plus there are updates on some of the best titles to release in the past few years, like Pistol Whip. Oh, and we’ll be getting fresh looks at some of the most anticipated titles on the horizon, like the very first gameplay of Resolution Games’ Blaston and the latest look at Low-Fi. Overall we’ll be showing over 20 games and experiences, so there’s bound to be something to your taste.

We’ll then return to our Upload VR Studio for an aftershow discussion alongside one of our friends from Polyarc, creators of Moss, who are sponsoring the showcase. You better keep an eye out for Quill throughout the show, she’ll pop up when you least expect it!

So, just to recap: bookmark this page because at 8:30am PT/11:30am ET/4:30pm BT we run our pre-show, counting down to the main event at 9am PT/12pm ET/5pm BT!
Edit: It's over, all the separate trailers can be viewed here. It wasn't as big as their E3 and Holiday shows.

Cosmophobia, Vertigo Remaster and Panther VR becoming available in early access were the highlights I suppose.

Here's the VR section of the Steam Game Festival for more VR hype :p
Loads of games got demos too.

Last edited:
Reactions: knch

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Do check out the VR demos on the Steam Game Festival, there are some pretty neat things there like Blunt Force, Rinlo, Naau, Stargaze, Balsa Model Flight Sim, Welcome to Graymount, Paper Beast, The Arcane Tower and others. Oh, it looks like Playhouse has been renamed to A Wake Inn, that's a neat name.

Last edited:

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Ok, this is potentially HYPE! 😱

SteamVR 1.13 introduces a new experimental feature for Valve Index users, "Room View 3D".

Room View 3D uses computer vision techniques developed by Valve, Arcturus Industries, and Occipital to present a more accurate representation of your environment.

To enable this functionality, select Room View: "3D" from Settings -> Camera.

This functionality is rapidly evolving, so we want to hear your thoughts and feedback.

Expect to see more experiments over the coming months.

If you are interested in contributing to virtual reality and computer vision on Steam, [UWSL]Valve[/UWSL] and [UWSL]Arcturus[/UWSL] are hiring!

Nzyme

Time to get Fit
Sep 19, 2018
Ok, this is potentially HYPE! 😱

R A D!!

Pretty tired of fumbling my way to my bottle of water or whatever else.

Reactions: Mor and lashman

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
So Horizon Vanguard is finally releasing Friday!

It is developed by tain, who is a Reset member. I did some testing years ago, and he presented me with a final copy of the game, which I've had the opportunity to play a bunch. I've written up a review I'll post on Steam but I'll paste it here first:

Horizon Vanguard is a love letter to late 90’s arcade action, particular of the Sega variety. The action is presented in (optional, but I would recommend) VR, delivering the excitement of that ‘pat your head and rub your belly’ mechanics that work best on VR.

The gameplay has you firing your hoverbike’s lasers while you also fend off aerial enemies with your sidearm. Aim precisely for a score multiplier with each shot, and keep your eyes open for intel item pickups, which will unlock different routes in an Outrun-style branching path. Dodge enemy fire by moving your bike around (like a SHMUP) and utilize your radar during boss fights for a bullet-hell experience. The game provides a very stiff action challenge with difficult to find secrets as well. However, there is a built-in option to simply become invincible, or to utilize continues, while disabling scoreboard ranking. You can also practice individual levels once you unlock them.

The graphics really deliver the colors, visual feedback, art, sound, visual effects, and even (perhaps most rare) the music of a late 90’s Sega arcade venture. The level designs and enemies are awesome and really evoke the classic style as well. The feedback the gameplay gives you is a mix of both retro and modern styles, the hit sound effects reminding me more of Call of Duty or Quake 3, which is necessary to inform the player how they might maximize their score, or if a power up just ran out.

The game is also completely playable on mouse & keyboard, but it is more intuitive in VR, and the interface and experience are better suited to VR.

Horizon Vanguard is a perfect fit for classic arcade fans who want an exciting and very repayable, exciting, and challenging VR game. VR action aficionados will find a lot here to enjoy, and those classic arcade fans who do not yet own a VR kit may find themselves suddenly in the market.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
I did play an early alpha and found it quite hard to both mind jething dodging and shooting like a shmup and aiming manually all around with my hand, has he tuned that aspect of the game to perhaps be less hectic or to clearly indicate different focus phases in a level, for example mostly having enemies in the front so you can mind both modes except when you fight a boss and need to mind all around you etc.? It was cool either way, just wondering.
Kind of like a SHMUP if you stay to the back of your movement space (there are visual barriers to how far back and forward you can move), enemies will basically either be directly in front of you or at most at your sides.

Now there's a bit more feedback for your weapon. There's a sort of holo sight on the gun, and the Virtua Cop reticles flash when you have a shot lined up. Some different things have new color indicators so you can more easily notice them, etc... I'd say it's at a good, but certainly challenging, balance.

Like a lot of classic arcade games, while exact positions of things are somewhat randomized, there's definitely some patterns you can recognize and therefore be more prepared with sequential playthroughs. This replay memorization isn't really necessary IMO (as even middle-levels I often at least get to the boss without taking a hit the first time through), but if you struggle at first it will help.

Reactions: Alextended

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Nice, I can't wait to try the full game. If I was designing such a game myself I probably wouldn't have the vehicle shoot at all, just player guns, either rapid fire a la L.A. Machineguns/Gunblade N.Y. or Virtua Copy, depending on the pace I'd want to go for, hectic and chaotic or deliberate with precision and quick thinking. Or maybe it could alternate, claiming the rapid fire weapons are not enough to penetrate some enemy/phase armor types requiring you to switch around.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman and knch

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
Gonna post a video I made now that the game comes out in less than 24h!

Don't watch it if you're already sold on the game as I reveal a couple of secrets. But it still only shows 4 of the game's 15 levels...

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman and knch

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Hey so remember back in.....I think it was March time when the Index had a re-stock and orders opened up. I clicked on the buy button as soon as it was available but must have been too slow as my order was at 'ships after 8 weeks' and has been since then. I just checked and it now says 'ships after 6 weeks' so things might be happening......

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Finally some activity from this project. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
On July 8 we'll be getting the first review of the Reverb G2 including controller tracking impressions from MRTV.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
On July 8 we'll be getting the first review of the Reverb G2 including controller tracking impressions from MRTV.
And it's here. But it's a preview, not a review as he had pimped. I've time stamped the tracking stuff...

It's not as in-depth as I hoped for with comparisons, he just shows testing out archery and shooting style actions in Rec Room of all things, but says it's pretty great. That makes it a good purchase option. I really hope it's the start of a new wave of WMR devices for all price ranges with the same basic specs/quality for all as ~600 is quite steep for many people. At the very least it should, for now, drive scalper retailer Oculus RIft S/Quest prices down to where they ought to be.

Last edited: