Community The MetaVerse VR thread (hardware/software/etc, all platforms)

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Im also wondering if Ghost Giant is a full PSVR exclusive or not. It released in the middle of april this year and not a single sale on PS Store so far.
From the tweets they sent me, I would say no, just a timed exclusive with a PC release in mid sometime after the 1-year exclusivity with Playstation. but I'm not sure and I don't want to confirm unconfirmed things.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Gonna jump in No Man's Sky VR, will post impressions some time. Keep in mind I didn't really like the original as it was and I doubt any update can change this, none of the updates seemed to change the core gameplay loop which relied on grinding for materials after all, they just gave more to grind and craft/build...

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Seemed alright on standard visual settings (lowest). Hopefully they improve it. Other than that and some excessive loading and hitches (before I lowered the settings) the VR gameplay integration seems great, aside from all the menus you need to use that work fine as you just point and click (or touch with your finger but there's no reason to get physical when you can use the trigger with an accurate pointer) but would have probably been done differently if it was made for VR. Anyway, it feels like the same game. I started a new save and got up to space and the first coordinates and it was a pretty seamless experience. I think it's best played seated given the use of the ship and how it lacks some options like the HMD direction dictating what is "forward" (it feels weird when I use the jetpack without that). But it does have smooth locomotion and turning options and it works well. Nice job.

Last edited:

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
Electronauts got a huge update and has a free weekend:

Reactions: Alextended

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Damn, Sony bought Insomniac Games. Stormland is still scheduled for Oculus this holiday but the future of PC VR past that is going to be a little bit poorer :(

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
This came out of nowhere. Releases tomorrow on various platforms (Steam, Oculus, wherever) and location VR arcades.

This continues to look eh.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Trying out Racket Fury. I haven't played table tennis irl in ages but this feels really close to the real thing except for being way too easy to overshoot.

It's surreal initially with how it's so real in feel yet clearly not in looks with the sci fi robots and all (well, game graphics would betray it without robots too).

There's another VR table tennis game called Eleven that appears to be going for more realism but it seems to be in dire need of solo content and an upgrade as the AI is tied to framerate which messes up on any set deviating from the expected and the work around is to try different fps settings in-game or whatever. An overhaul is being worked on but for now if you want table tennis in VR I'd go for Racket Fury. Even though it started (?) as a low-end VR Oculus Go game!

I've tried First Person Tennis and found it's easy to overshoot there too. Maybe in VR you can strike things fast without needing the power? Or I need practice.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
So this is out in early access. Pretty cheap too.

Promising first impressions. A small scale game with a singular purpose, fun combat and progression rather than a pretense of story or deeper interactions (apparently there's next to nothing in the game outside the combat encounters and some upgrades to choose from), but one that it seemingly does well.
Until You Fall successfully fuses VR sword combat with meta-game elements in a way that no other VR title has yet managed. The game’s physical combat is underscored with a sense of deliberate strategy that can change from one encounter to the next. With deep and interesting combat, it’s almost a shame that the game isn’t more expansive in terms of its environments and overall scope, but fortunately what’s here feels really good and stands on its own.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
More Espire 1 gameplay from random tubers. I can't wait to get my hands on this one.
Release date confirmed for September 24. Please be good. And yay for mainstream(ish?) non VR media coverage.
You also get a free copy of Killing Floor: Incursion when you pre-purchase this. Neat.

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
Release date confirmed for September 24. Please be good. And yay for mainstream(ish?) non VR media coverage.
You also get a free copy of Killing Floor: Incursion when you pre-purchase this. Neat.
Yeah this looks like a rare full-on VR game.

So far, the best VR game I have played is Sairento. Looking forward to see how this pans out.

Reactions: Alextended

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

6 new free songs and the custom color picker included!

Last edited:
Reactions: Nabs

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Any date for Stormland?
Holidays if they don't delay it. Iirc. Could be wrong.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Rush got an update with a new track and stuff.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Kind of painful to watch the guy fumble around or idle doing nothing and have the motion sickness vignette aid enabled on top but the game looks good.

It looks like a more organically designed game than the last one. Hopefully the teleport will be made into a spell rather than the out of place GUI it is too.

Last edited:

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Borderlands 2 VR got announced for PC this fall.

Looks like information is really low.
-No price
-No release date aside of "Fall 2019"
-No platform/s
-No word of compatibility with different headsets and how will that affect the gameplay.

Don't like this.

Datamining with speculation.
Interesting, I want to see what Valve accomplishes with a VR game, they have mastered hardware and software so far has been really great. we will see.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

So this update finally re-adds all the maps they used to have before the visuals overhaul, adds different time of day variants for maps that never had that before, and adds one more new map. All around cool stuff. Onward is great.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Just one additional Vive tracker on his crotch for the bee sting.

JMTHEFOX

Planning to Be a Game Designer
Oct 4, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
Just one additional Vive tracker on his crotch for the bee sting.

Insane how so many people still use Oculus

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I don't think anybody who bought a ~400+ kit is upgrading every couple of years (Touch controllers launched in 2016 after all). Myself included :p

Maybe by the time something (current) Index-like costs that much which will be a while considering just the controllers set you back ~300.

So yeah of course people "still" use them. Most are the old/discontinued Rift at that (~38%), not the newer S (~11%) which is more of a sidegrade than upgrade.

I would think only super enthusiasts who are also rather well off upgrade within the span of a few years and I doubt any of them had a Rift which always seemed to be the more budget conscious choice rather than the more expensive Vive, Pimax, whatever else (outside some maybe wanting to try the Touch).

Last edited:
Reactions: Mor

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Insane how so many people still use Oculus
A Rift/Rift S is way way cheaper than a OG VIVE and Index, so not suprising imo.

I bought a Rift in january + a 3rd sensor and it was still way cheaper than a VIVE.

Imo, the VIVE (any of the HTC VR headsets really) and Index's main obstackles to obtain bigger marketshare are: price (both HTC and Valve HMDs has too high prices), support (heard a ton of problems with HTC support), shipping (the Index does not ship to Canada, Australia, Norway etc.).

Last edited:
OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
NMS performance really isn't all that great. And the way it handles (or fails to) 360° turning just sucks (and makes no sense). But it's still pretty interesting and unique in terms of scale in VR coop, and much of the interface design is actually very good by VR port standards. Which makes the total failure at supporting 360° setups even more strange. I guess it's a "PSVR can't do it" thing.

Performance is a bit silly though, I mean, I play at 72 FPS reprojected to 144 Hz at all "high", and that's fine, but this is on a 2080ti.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Stormland features drop-in, drop-out two-player co-op throughout the entire story campaign and ongoing play so that you can experience everything in the game by yourself or with a friend. We make it easy for players to work together in-game, too; you can warp to them at any time, revive them if an enemy downs them, and coordinate movements by placing way points for each other on a shared 3D map.
Plus this.

Plus this is out, seems fun, still not the seamless Pirates!-like sailing game you want.

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
"Failing to cope with his wife's death, a struggling father of two becomes a gladiator in an all bot battle arena to face off against colossal robots."
I shall call you "Not-Real Steel"

Oh, can we expect a rename soon? There's a card battler called "Rise of the Titans" on the store too.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
So, Vive Cosmos appears to be a slightly higher resolution Oculus Rift S (2880x1700 vs 2560x1440 and 90hz vs 80hz) sold for around $700.
It also supports the existing Vive wireless kit and will later get an optional face plate add-on for the HMD to support the lighthouse tracking instead.

I think they should match the Rift S price instead to get people interested, then Oculus could do a needed price cut. Right now they both charge a premium. Both companies got rid of costly stuff like base stations/trackers but sell the kits at roughly equal prices just for the years late modest resolution bump.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
This looks neat.

Mini VR STALKER new teaser? 0_0
Ooooooold trailer (since if you just watch the new teaser you don't see the connection to the game I liken it to):

Reactions: Mor