Community The MetaVerse VR thread (hardware/software/etc, all platforms)

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
So there were actually more Oculus Connect 6 talks they hadn't uploaded yet.

Again see the rest and the keynotes in previous posts or the Oculus channel. There are like 40 videos total (some duplicates as they were in the keynotes).

Reactions: lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Also, this is coming.
The Exorcist: Legion VR is back as a Deluxe Complete Series with enhanced graphics & animations, upgraded movement controls, Index controller support, and Rift S optimization. Just keep telling yourself "it's only VR".
I do hope they don't screw over existing owners without a free upgrade or super-deep discount, this is patch material that they should hype (with a focus on the bundle by the pricing if they feel people didn't play all episodes) instead for extra/renewed publicity and more sales rather than a whole new release...

I can't tell much of a difference in the footage but every little tweak and bit of polish helps with VR. I was actually about to get the game after reading in user reviews that it improves on every aspect of A Chair in a Room which I played and found promising but not quite there (I can be picky with VR feel/controls).

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
So that Walking Dead VR game finally has a name/official announcement and some new media (crappy non gameplay trailer ahoy).

It has looked pretty rough in the extended hands on videos that came out previously but hopefully they can pull off something decent.

Edit: brain fart, this is a different Walking Dead VR game, the other being developed by Survios (Onslaught)!

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Ok that new Walking Dead game is looking pretty decent after all. Hope it delivers! Some jankiness and crude hud stuff still but yeah.

Some more Quest/Link stuff, mainly because it shows some more Stormland gameplay. Can't wait for that. Wish it released before Asgard's Wrath.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Yay, missed this nugget in the new oculus software update yesterday.
We added a new toggle for automatically launching Home. Switching this setting off will stop Home from auto-launching in scenarios like jumping into VR and exiting out of apps. You can find this option within the Settings > General menu inside Oculus desktop app.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Missed this Echo VR/Arena patch which adds stuff like AI opponents too (AI actually looks good, the games are pretty complex!). But it's not live on my end.

All the Echo games, starting with Lone Echo, have some of the best locomotion in VR & sweet production values/polish. Echo VR is still free (sans Arena DLC)!

This continues to look so good though, glad its kickstarter is going decently:

Plus a couple more OC6 stuff they had yet to upload.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
And a patch for Humans 101! I've yet to try this but it seems kinda cute and the pitiful amount of reviews is positive.

I have no idea what to expect from the gameplay part and the user creation component anyway.

And a Steam VR patch incoming (beta atm) that hopefully fixes annoying things like the audio not getting routed to the HMD when you wanna play (or whatever) in VR or not get back to the regular speakers/audio device you prefer when you quit your VR session regardless of the settings.

fantomena

Oh captain my captain.
Dec 17, 2018
Watching some VIvE Cosmos hands-on videos. Everyone so far (VR Oasis, Cas and Chery, Adam Savage tested) says that the tracking is subpar.

When I personalyl went from PSVR to Rift (3 sensors) I saw how important good tracking is for the experience and drifting is a huge annoyance.

Reactions: Alextended

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Hopefully it's not the fault of the cameras but rather software they can improve on (as Rift S/Quest got improved tracking since launch). An outlet said they couldn't make the thing work at all at night as the light was apparently too low no matter what so maybe the cameras suck too. They postponed the review.

Gives good reason for all (?) other products' inside out VR cameras being IR based even if people dislike that it makes the pass through greyscale like.

And I'm sure you too have seen that the OldRift external cameras seem to still work just fine even if the only light in the room comes from my PC monitor (which may also just be showing a black screen depending on the game and if I've enabled the monitor rendering or not so I don't know what their limits are).
When I personalyl went from PSVR to Rift (3 sensors) I saw how important good tracking is for the experience and drifting is a huge annoyance.
Word. I was blown away when first getting in VR and double checking it by looking down from the nose gap on my forearm then up to the screen and seeing the in-software representation of my hand perfectly aligned with where my occluded from the HMD hand was (and I now hate it when games don't get the hand angle/position/size right enough for this effect when it makes a big difference in how natural and polished it feels - so it's not about looking at it lol).

I'd hope all these APIs like OpenXR and stuff eventually make it so the software basically auto adjusts hand positions per used HMD without the devs having to do too much for that so that more and more games get it right (if they get it right on their dev platform in the first place, so it translates to the rest).

Last edited:
OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
It's a bit sad how predictable the Cosmos stuff is. I posted multiple times (also on reddit) that by far my biggest concern with it is the tracking. Some people said it's not likely to be a problem since "HTC already has the best tracking [with Vive/pro]".

But that's the thing: HTC never built that tracking system, Valve did.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Asgard's Wrath is getting glowing reviews, some call it the best VR game ever made.
Really hope they're right but wouldn't be the first time I'm disappointed in something hyped. VR media seem non-gamery and easy to impress sometimes.

I'm more looking forward to Stormland, better track record from the dev and I feel it will be meatier and less reliant on just being in VR.

But I'll try Asgard's Wrath at some point.

Some of the reviews make it sound like a higher production values Journey of the Gods. The whole one-way-trip-areas deal. It was cool but not omgthebestest! It might not do to get hyped then once the VR enthusiasm wears off discover there's not too much to it. Journey of the Gods felt modest and that served it well.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

And there was also this time limited location-VR RE7 experience announced by Capcom.

Last edited: