Community What are you currently playing?

Virtual Ruminant

May 21, 2020
Anybody remember this thread?

Well, an ebay search alert went off the other day and here we are:

I have the coming week off and people probably think I'll be playing a next gen console all week (which I definitely won't since I didn't get one), instead I think my gaming lineup will include only games at least six years old:

I call it No Nuthin' New-vember.

It will be my first time to complete any of these (although I might have beaten Prey before, but I honestly can't remember).

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Woot, found and rescued a cool looking guy in DS, said he's all about demon murder, like me.

Then he went all sinister on me, plus he really was cool looking so yeah. Now I'm looking cool.

Update: Finished! Good game, I didn't mind the level/hub structure, it gave a decent sense of exploration early on with the choice of which area to tackle next, but each was also linear and limited, especially toward its end with boss after boss, most of which were easy and simple. Simplistic ending too. Dark is better!

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Ninja Gaiden Σ time. Maybe. It's not clicking for me yet, I get what it's going for but I'm not having fun so far. Nice shiny flashy visuals despite the dumb designs.

It's a minor complaint given this is about the fighting and just blocking, dodging and prioritizing but I don't like how stiff the basic control/turning feels, it's weird.

Valdien

Mar 26, 2020
Sydney
Ninja Gaiden Σ time. Maybe. It's not clicking for me yet, I get what it's going for but I'm not having fun so far. Nice shiny flashy visuals despite the dumb designs.

It's a minor complaint given this is about the fighting and just blocking, dodging and prioritizing but I don't like how stiff the basic control/turning feels, it's weird.
Yes, NG will take some time getting used to, it's not as responsive & fluid as say, DMC or Bayonetta is, nor was it designed to be. It's similar to Dead or Alive in some ways. Understanding why it feels stiff and overcoming that will make for a more enjoyable game.

If you hadn't noticed, NG buffers input commands. So, mashing the attack or block button will get you killed very quickly. Once you start a combo, you've pretty much committed to it, and cancelling out of it will not be easy. You can use Shurikens to cancel certain combo or reset your attack chain. For example, Square x2-> Shuriken will reset the combo and cut down the recovery animation. You can do this repeatedly until you get the hang of it.

If you're willing to dig deep into NG's combat or want to understand how it works, you can read up on this guide here.

You can also watch this video for optimal movement controls:

Reactions: lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
~40 hours into Yakuza: Like a Dragon. Great game. Some times it looks pretty good, most of the time just alright with lod issues and unconvincing lighting and other stuff that bring it down. The cut scenes don't have too high quality a lot of the time, just average motion capture without care to make every action look good or precise cuts but I guess it makes sense given there are so many and many of them of little significance overall, this game is really packed with content.

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Finally got Prepare to Die Edition of Dark Souls running without crashing. Picked up from where I left off.

And... now I'm in Blighttown, at the first bonfire that you encounter. I'm really not sure what to do next, genuinely terried.

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
Red Faction 2 has to be the most blatant PS2 to PC port I've ever played, The levels are tiny, smaller than any regular level in old school Wolfenstein or Doom.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Red Faction 2 has to be the most blatant PS2 to PC port I've ever played, The levels are tiny, smaller than any regular level in old school Wolfenstein or Doom.
It’s incredibly short too, if memory serves.