|OT| Baldur's Gate 3 |OT| A bearly exciting adventure

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Oh man, I've only managed about 10 hrs so far. Still scrabbling around trying to understand how things work and what spells and things to use.

So many options/set ups/story branches.

I've developed a real 'just go with it' attitude that in previous years/other games i would've been save scumming and having real concerns about whether I'd chosen the right option.

Game is good fun, finding a few UI bugs with the controller and camera can be a bit fiddley but other than that its been pretty solid.

Think i might be underlevelled or just a bit shit as there are some fights that have ended badly for my team.

My main guy died, i reloaded but made me think - can you just carry on?

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com

I use mainly quicksaves, and only just leaving act one. In windows it's double sized because it's on the appdata folder and the steam remote folder.

Might want to keep this in mind for those that has limited storage or upload speed.

Here's the save folder location:

Windows%LOCALAPPDATA%\Larian Studios\Baldur's Gate 3\PlayerProfiles\Public\Savegames\Story
Steam<Steam-folder>\userdata\<user-id>\1086940\remote\_SAVE_Public\Savegames
macOS (OS X)$HOME/Documents/Larian Studios/Baldur's Gate 3/PlayerProfiles/Public/Savegames/Story
Steam Play (Linux)<Steam-folder>/steamapps/compatdata/1086940/pfx/[Note 1]

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Out of curiosity, how do you guys handle long and short rests?
I've seen around that most people long rest after 3 or 4 fights (max) while I long rest around every 7 or 8 or perhaps more, honestly hadn't been counting... I'm almost done with act 1 and long rested 4 or 5 times.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
I've seen around that most people long rest after 3 or 4 fights (max) while I long rest around every 7 or 8 or perhaps more, honestly hadn't been counting... I'm almost done with act 1 and long rested 4 or 5 times.
I use short rest after every fight and a long rest when i used up the two shorts (usually).

Food is cheap and plentiful in the game, so you won't ever run out of it.

However one thing to consider is that certain quests progress when you're resting.
They don't "fail" or anything, just that sometimes events will happen, or NPC's will do things, with or without you.

Which is really cool imho.
It's great that reactivity isn't beholden to dialogue choice, but to mechanical ones aswell.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I am so close to actually being in the city of Baldur's Gate now - I literally looked over it in a cutscene!

And then shit went down, as usual!

I didn't long rest a lot in Act I... But in Act 2 I do every 3-4 fights. I tend to short rest after every encounter to top off health, and you only get 2 of those + the bard one. By then, I'm usually out of spell slots anyway.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Yeah, I basically long rest when the spell slots are dry.
Generally waiting until the last minute because I like taking some limited risks and sleeping can be a drag with the camp interactions.

OP
Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
My main guy died, i reloaded but made me think - can you just carry on?
I think some quests requires your main character,
I usually long rest after some big fights when my resources are depleted.

Reactions: Joe Spangle

rickyson33

Apr 26, 2019
depends on the fights, sometimes I might after 1 fight if I use up a bunch of spells etc but sometimes I might not for a bunch of fights

sometimes I long rest when I don't really need to just to see if there's any new scenes or whatever too

in any case it doesn't really matter much, i'm still in act 1 and while I don't know exactly how many times i've long rested it's probably somewhere around the 10-20 range and i'm sitting on something like a couple thousand supplies at this point

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Wait, who is this girl approaching the camp? Oh right that bard girl from the groove
Guess she is an extra camp only follower like Withers and Scratch. Can't wait to hear songs talking about the party exploits later in the game

Well it was a long day so time to hit the saHOLY FUCKING SHIT

I pity people who are not playing Dark Urge

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
If you are in Act 2 I strongly recommend zooming all the way in when traversing. The environments, art and everything happening is so immersive. Its incredible.

Also the healing facility and that bartender stuff was crazy wtf. I don't even know what is happening anymore. I somehow convinced the nurses to stab that guy over n over again lol. I hope I didn't miss out on some quest. I really love how you can obtain a lot of exp without fighting enemies. Game is special.

• This!
Reactions: Panda Pedinte

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Learned the hard way you can't provoke the gith queen. If you disagree with her it's instadeath and you have to reload. Kinda cool but at the same time it's annoying that you're forced to do something you don't want plus I have to redo the whole previous fight again.

• Toucan

didamangi

Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
So, Isobel. When the fight broke out, the bad guy smack her, my main character goes next, than the winged creature smack her again and it's over, cutscene, I thought okay, so you're meant to lose. but nope, apparently just a shitty role of the dice. Suffice to say, F8.

OP
Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
Act 2 spoiler

I'm currently at the Gauntlet of Shar and I have no shame admitting that I completely cheesed the fight against Yurgir lol

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
58 hours in and I've realized that no, the Gale romance isn't just slow... it just never progressed because some scenes didn't trigger! Now that I am in Act III my character has an option to say something about like "we had something special, but didn't act on it and now it's too late." I suspect I would have to go back 20-30 hours, but I don't even know if that would fix it.

I don't know what I should do... but I am definitely annoyed.

Weirdly enough, the exact same thing happened when I played Dragon Age Inquisition for the first time. Dorian's romance was bugged, and I had to go back 20 hours to fix it.

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
I'm 30 hours act 1, although I believe I'm nearing the end of it as
I have freed Halsin, and am at the dinner party where I believe I must take either the mountain path or the under dark. Still seems like I have a big quest amount though (I think they just continue in other acts). Wondering when I do the creche though, is that act 2? or should I go there after party.
Been an amazing time though, where you think you are going to play for an hour and then 3 have passed.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I have freed Halsin, and am at the dinner party where I believe I must take either the mountain path or the under dark. Still seems like I have a big quest amount though (I think they just continue in other acts). Wondering when I do the creche though, is that act 2? or should I go there after party.
Been an amazing time though, where you think you are going to play for an hour and then 3 have passed.
Well, I'm not certain when the passage to Act 2 happens exactly, but I explored a whole map after the celebration, and I'm still in Act 1.

Reactions: Prodigy
OP
Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
I explored the Underdark before going into the mountain pass as there are some interesting quests there, later I went trhough the mountain pass and finished creche quest

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
The Gith Creche is a mindblowingly good area and setpiece that is also masterfully written. Do yourself a favor and experience it with Lae'zel in your party.

In other news, Lae'zel is such a tragicaly naive, stupid and annoying character...

didamangi

Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Argh.

Looks like I'm going to try restarting Act II and see if I get a scene that's supposed to happen near the beginning of the zone.

That's 20+ hours down the drain, and all so I can fuck an annoying wizard with amazing hair.

• Sad
Reactions: Li Kao

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
I only saved the Grove instead of attacking it because I found it before finding the goblins :shrugblob:

• Toucan
Reactions: Dandy

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Act 2 is amazing. I just did the rat stuff for the Yurgir quest and fighting off like 50 rats was way more tense than it needed to be. Raining lighting attacks + arrows on swarms of them and still they killed half of my team lol. And then the finale was down to the wire with Karlach.

I have to say Karlach is an absolute beast. At least half a dozen fights now she bailed me out. Must have in the party at all times. And I don't think I have any chance in the self mirror trial without her too. There was so much fuckery in that fight and she overpowered everything.

OP
Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
I forgot to save after rolling a natural 20 on a hard dialogue choice and I had to reload to a previous save...

In other news, Lae'zel is such a tragicaly naive, stupid and annoying character...
Keep doing her quest! And try to make her doubt her queen.

Last edited:

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
The amount of variables and outcomes in the story/mission angles is really impressive

This is one of those rpgs that may have more than 3 serious long playthroughs in it.

In fact I think this may be one of those games were you could create 3 characters and play all three at the same time alternating days or something lol. I think it would actually work and it would feel like you are playing 3 different enough games at once without certain overlaps.

Its kinda like the Mass Effect trilogy. There is paragon + renegade playthroughs. But also default Shepards vs created. And Male/Female that added to the variety. But with this its like several layers deeper with all the Origin characters plus created characters. And then you have build + story decision variety. I haven't reached the conclusion of this game obviously but if the ending is crazy in regards to choices/outcomes and stuff like that...this game is just stupid deep. Kind of ridiculous really.

But yea its really ambitious. I just did the Balthazar stuff in Act 2 and reloaded a save file upon conclusion of a fight to see the other outcome. And wow its entirely different and actually makes you curious what happens next in the story for both instances. How your companions react to outcomes and your decisions is really interesting too. How would all of it even play out if you are playing as Origin character too? How would it affect the other Origin character and/or your companions who have journal quest in the areas ahead that are now greatly effected by this current story outcome? There is so many questions and unless you spoil so much of the game for yourself you have to do a lot of playthroughs.

didamangi

Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Is there a floor up, floor down command like in xcom? Some fights with enemies on different "floors" can be troublesome.

Just fought and killed a hard boss. Felt kinda weird having to fought that many enemies so I google it. Turns out I just can talk to him.
Sometimes sneaking/perceiving ambush can be a double edged sword. I love it.

OP
Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
Act 2 Spoilers

If you never talk to Isobel and convices Shadowheart to not kill Nightsong and free her you avoid the fight with Marcus.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Act 2 is amazing. I just did the rat stuff for the Yurgir quest and fighting off like 50 rats was way more tense than it needed to be. Raining lighting attacks + arrows on swarms of them and still they killed half of my team lol. And then the finale was down to the wire with Karlach.

I have to say Karlach is an absolute beast. At least half a dozen fights now she bailed me out. Must have in the party at all times. And I don't think I have any chance in the self mirror trial without her too. There was so much fuckery in that fight and she overpowered everything.
Oh, I didn't know you could even help Yurgir! The first time I got there I ambushed him accidentally and he DESTROYED my whole party in like 2 rounds. On reload I talked to him, and convinced him to kill his minions, his pet, and then himself. All on the pretense that it would break his contract, of course.

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I like how you guys keep hyping up Act 2 and meanwhile steam playtime shows me 64 hours and I am still in act one, just wrapping up Underdark (already did Grymforge and now about to leave Arcane Tower) and still have yet to visit the mountain pass.

I am gonna have 200-240 hours on my first playthrough aren't I.

OP
Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
I forgot I had some quests I wanted to do before going to the point of no return in act 2, I will need to reload a save from hours ago.

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Damn. I think I missed or messed up the owlcub pet opportunity 😑
At the Goblin Camp I told him to reach my camp, but it took multiple post goblin genocide long rests before he appeared, and one more after that for him to join permanently so not all is lost

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Oh, I didn't know you could even help Yurgir! The first time I got there I ambushed him accidentally and he DESTROYED my whole party in like 2 rounds. On reload I talked to him, and convinced him to kill his minions, his pet, and then himself. All on the pretense that it would break his contract, of course.
I looked up some of the stuff you can do with him and the option to make him kill himself + his minions was the most popular via youtube etc. The thing is I didn't even get that option in the convos with him. I think you need to have high persuasion or be bard. Or maybe something else story related. My options were to basically fight or break him from his contract. And convince him to let you explore his hideout which leads to additional quests. But yea the conclusion upon breaking him from his contract was interesting and I wonder if there will be more to the story later on in the game.

didamangi

Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
At the Goblin Camp I told him to reach my camp, but it took multiple post goblin genocide long rests before he appeared, and one more after that for him to join permanently so not all is lost
I reload my save just before going to meet the mum, but forgot to enter it's cave again until now when I'm already on the shadowlands. Tried to backtrack my way to the cave, killed the mum, killed the goblins, and he's not in the goblin camp. maybe I have to full rest and go back to the camp again.

I'm backtracking to the mountain pass for the Lae'zel quest line now. Still have Scratch at least.

Also, having an owlbear in your party just make dialog cutscenes look like this most of the time.

• Eyes
  • Toucan
Reactions: Prodigy and Paul

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Re: owl bear cub -- I missed the scene where he and Scratch become friends. Also, Scratch is no longer at my camp at all. But I can still summon him as a familiar.

I looked up some of the stuff you can do with him and the option to make him kill himself + his minions was the most popular via youtube etc. The thing is I didn't even get that option in the convos with him. I think you need to have high persuasion or be bard. Or maybe something else story related. My options were to basically fight or break him from his contract. And convince him to let you explore his hideout which leads to additional quests. But yea the conclusion upon breaking him from his contract was interesting and I wonder if there will be more to the story later on in the game.
I think it may have been Bard-specific. Something about his contract being a song. He does warn the player that if this doesn't work he'll track them down when he reforms in Hell. I am kind of intrigued to see what his other quests are like.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Here's something I never thought I'd ever say:
Fuck these ambushing plants!

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Did the Grimforge boss fight and I’m not impressed. Balance is shit. If you don’t get allies I don’t know how you can do it, a room full a psychos who hit two or three times and use magic.
If you get help, this becomes trivial.

If there are other feverish difficulty spikes I won’t finish the game.

Reactions: Dandy

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Well, I'm back to the beginning of Act II because of the Gale romance bugging out. A scene triggered that I don't think I had before, so hopefully that means I'm on the right track. Unfortunately, it means I have to re-do all of Act II again, which was like 20 hours. It should go faster since I can skip the dialogue, but I'm definitely losing interest every 30 minutes or so because I've been there/done that already.

The next scene apparently triggers near the end of Act II so I'm really worried I'll get all the way there again and nothing will happen.

• Sad

didamangi

Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Scratch keeps barking and won't follow me anymore if I ignored his barking in the field (the scratch's sniff perk I think). Too bad because summons are great for combat fodder.

Similarly with Halsin, if you have him in the party when backtracking to the Mountain Pass after Act 2, he just won't follow you while you're in the mountain pass area. Probably bugged. So I have to swap him out when in the mountain pass area.

rickyson33

Apr 26, 2019
oof

I just did the teahouse area and
the woman I rescued from Ethel died afterwards running through poison gas trying to leave, not gonna bother doing that again so RIP I guess

time to finally enter the underdark 32 hours in