|OT| Baldur's Gate 3 |OT| A bearly exciting adventure

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
Kind of glad I didn't really buy this..though I have access to family share. I been playing with a buddy and its really not keeping my attention 100% of the time. It honestly is the UI being practically bad then you have the imitative order (where who takes what turn) when all player avatars match up you all can move at same time.

Also still don't understand some of the mechanics cause ingame tooltips suck ass. What are spell points? I don't know what they are to me sounds like a one time resource on getting a spell slot.

OP
Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
That said, I am not a fan of that religion of hers
I still think there will be some kind of twist involving her erased memories.

I played a lot of Underdark today. Most of it was fun, but some of it was frustrating.

Specifically, Grymforge. The map itself is kind of a nightmare to navigate, but my main frustration is from the fight with Nere. Having to fight 10 level 5 duergar is a lot. Two of them can cast mind control on you, several are range with multiple attacks and ensnare you. They throw potions at each other to heal. At least one of the ranged guys has an insane knock back. Oh, and your on a platform surrounded by lava so you routinely get punted and die to that. Did I mention that none of those are the boss? He has misty step, a shield that reflects damage, and can also mind control you.

I spent an hour on it, trying to save those fucking gnomes. After finally giving in and looking for strategies, apparently I was supposed to recruit some rebel duergar... but I can't. Cause they tell me their conversation is private. I'm not sure if it's because of something I did, or just a bug. But I had already been in the zone for like 1.5 hours before even starting the fight and wasn't willing to restart the whole level in the hopes that it would work this time.

I did finally beat it, but only cause I got lucky with 2 thunderwaves and cleared a chunk of them right away, and also pre-placed smokepowder barrels to detonate as the fight went on.
trying to fight against all the Duergars is really hard, I recruited the ones who were unsatisfied with Nere and the fight was easy.

rickyson33

Apr 26, 2019
random cool inventory thing I thought i'd share here:

if you click on an item slot in your inventory the game will show all the gear for that slot your current party has equipped plus all the gear for that slot that is in any of their inventories

for example here's what happens when I click on the helmet slot for one of my characters:

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I learnt that some big quests can fail if you take too much time to do them. So I rushed to do one of the ones that least interests me.

When going to the location of the quest the game warns me that it’s extremely difficult for my level and talks like I won’t be able to return.

Okkklkk. Fuck you and fuck your timer. Will continue questing where I am.

• Eyes
Reactions: Panda Pedinte
OP
Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
I learnt that some big quests can fail if you take too much time to do them. So I rushed to do one of the ones that least interests me.

When going to the location of the quest the game warns me that it’s extremely difficult for my level and talks like I won’t be able to return.

Okkklkk. Fuck you and fuck your timer. Will continue questing where I am.
Can you tell me what quest it was? So far I found two that I was under the impression that had timers attached to them the one about removing the ruble to rescue Nere and the gnomes and when you find Minthara and she tells about the plans of attacking the grove

Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Panda Pedinte Nothing so far in, I just saw a reddit thread about time sensitivity and both Lae’Zel and Halsin quest were mentioned. Though the only worrying one was the location of Lae’Zel’s quest closing in some way, Halsin is funnier. If you take too much time he apparently mostly
frees himself

But yeah, I mained Lae’Zel quest until the game warned me it would be hell, so yeah, I’m missing the length of the timer.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Can people confirm that you can only use you special power one time between rests ? Not that I care much about it but I wouldn’t have wasted it on a random goblin if I knew.
Not really into using it anyways. Though a certain someone telling me to use it more is certainly pushing me in that direction.

OP
Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
Panda Pedinte Nothing so far in, I just saw a reddit thread about time sensitivity and both Lae’Zel and Halsin quest were mentioned. Though the only worrying one was the location of Lae’Zel’s quest closing in some way, Halsin is funnier. If you take too much time he apparently mostly
frees himself

But yeah, I mained Lae’Zel quest until the game warned me it would be hell, so yeah, I’m missing the length of the timer.
At least for freeing Halsin I took my sweet as only now I'm exploring the Goblin camp, I went to the Underdark and the Grymforge before going to the camp.

Can people confirm that you can only use you special power one time between rests ? Not that I care much about it but I wouldn’t have wasted it on a random goblin if I knew.
Not really into using it anyways. Though a certain someone telling me to use it more is certainly pushing me in that direction.
You mean the Illithid power option in conversations? I don't remember if there was a limit of how many times you could use it when I played the early access, this time I'm trying to advance the story without using it.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
At least for freeing Halsin I took my sweet as only now I'm exploring the Goblin camp, I went to the Underdark and the Grymforge before going to the camp.
I have no idea were the
Grymforge
is. Though if I follow what Dandy wrote yesterday, I'm in no rush to know :sweaty-blob:

Reactions: Dandy

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
trying to fight against all the Duergars is really hard, I recruited the ones who were unsatisfied with Nere and the fight was easy.
Yeah, I wish that had been an option! I'm not sure if it's because I'd gotten the smoke powder before talking to them, or if it was because of something I said when I arrived to another character, or a bug, but every time I tried to talk to them, they just said "This is a private conversation."

Weirdly enough, the giant golem fight was a breeze! It seemed to ignore the Priority Target mechanic entirely(or maybe I just didn't understand it!), but Karlach took him apart. He never left his spawn point, and just kept going after her so I had to brute force it down, and even then it was painless.

One thing that I wish was improved was switching party members. If I have a full party and I tell another companion to join me, a menu should pop up asking me who I want to remove. Making me run around the camp is just bad.

• This!
OP
Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
Yeah, I wish that had been an option! I'm not sure if it's because I'd gotten the smoke powder before talking to them, or if it was because of something I said when I arrived to another character, or a bug, but every time I tried to talk to them, they just said "This is a private conversation."
I also got the powder before talking to them so I guess it must have bugged to you.

One thing that I wish was improved was switching party members. If I have a full party and I tell another companion to join me, a menu should pop up asking me who I want to remove. Making me run around the camp is just bad.
This and inventory management. Like if I'm in the camp I could be able to access everyone inventory to equip them instead of having to keep switching between the characters.

Reactions: Dandy

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Li Kao the only instances I've found of time sensite quests so far were:
  1. When you have to rescue a guy that is trapped in a burning house - makes perfect sense.
  2. In Lae'zel, or whatever her name is, personal quest, if you have her in your party when you reach a certain point in the map where her story continues, she runs off and if you don't follow her her quest finishes - I don't think there's a timer per se but changing maps seems to trigger it. I tried to go back to camp to get a 4th member to replace her and it happened.
Long story short, there's no need to fuss about time sensitive stuff.

After 30 hours and 130 saves, i've finally finished Act 1.
I'm @ 37h and still haven't explored half the map(s)

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I am in the cursed lands now, and I thought this was Act II... When I went to zone into it, I was given a warning, but I can still go back to the previous zones.

Lae'zel's quest seems to lead here, though I came through the Underdark instead of the Pass so I think I'm pretty far away from the objective!

Finally found out the secret of the Odd Ox... Not sure what the hell that was all about.

Also, Karlach got her second upgrade, and it was a very sweet moment. She's an amazing character. I hugged her and her reaction just broke my heart.

The smith also made me some amazing armor using metal from Grymforge(not even sure what it was!) though none of the characters I use can wear heavy armor. It looks awesome though and really makes me want to roll a paladin.

I swear this game has the horniest companions too. Karlach keeps saying she wants to bang, Lae'zel is always aggressively propositioning me(SHE WANTS TO TASTE ME!?!) and then being rude when I say no, Even Halsin seems bummed that I don't want to ride the bear.

OP
Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018

I swear this game has the horniest companions too. Karlach keeps saying she wants to bang, Lae'zel is always aggressively propositioning me(SHE WANTS TO TASTE ME!?!) and then being rude when I say no, Even Halsin seems bummed that I don't want to ride the bear.
Everyone is thirsty in that party with the Tieflings lmao. I laughed so hard when Lae'zel was proposing sex.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
Am I dumb or is there not a button to pause / enter turn based on controller? My genius party decided to run through my own cloud of daggers after the last enemy died and it switched back to real time instantly. Pausing/unpausing constantly was pretty important in BG1/2 and I hadn't thought about it as much with turn based combat being the default but there are getting to be some times when I just need to pause and sort people out. Also none of the menus pause which I think is actually just because of multiplayer but I don't want to play MP so I wish I could have them pause.

• This!
Reactions: Joe Spangle

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
This is mind boggingly dense and rich. I could be really annoyed that my Halsin freed himself, but they managed to make it perfectly logical. This is not the horrible feeling of a failed quest, but of a way to advance the whole thing differently. Like an ImSim.

Though let's not act like everything is perfect, the UI is kinda shit in parts, yeah, and I just had my first oath breaking moment... that was avoided by waiting for the obvious bad guy to attack, and not the opposite. This is super binary.
Not that I complain much, I feared it would be more problematic.

Amzin

Dec 5, 2018
This is mind boggingly dense and rich. I could be really annoyed that my Halsin freed himself, but they managed to make it perfectly logical. This is not the horrible feeling of a failed quest, but of a way to advance the whole thing differently. Like an ImSim.

Though let's not act like everything is perfect, the UI is kinda shit in parts, yeah, and I just had my first oath breaking moment... that was avoided by waiting for the obvious bad guy to attack, and not the opposite. This is super binary.
Not that I complain much, I feared it would be more problematic.
Yea, I think given the nature of the game people should feel comfortable about saving and reloading to figure out how the systems work. Some of the interactions aren't intuitive, some are. It's not even always clear to me whether NPCs are hostile or not, or if I'm somewhere I'm not supposed to be, or if I'm allowed to read something but not pick it up

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Yea, I think given the nature of the game people should feel comfortable about saving and reloading to figure out how the systems work. Some of the interactions aren't intuitive, some are. It's not even always clear to me whether NPCs are hostile or not, or if I'm somewhere I'm not supposed to be, or if I'm allowed to read something but not pick it up
Red named things belong to someone so by reading or picking it up you're trespassing or stealing. White named things are fair game.

Amzin

Dec 5, 2018
Red named things belong to someone so by reading or picking it up you're trespassing or stealing. White named things are fair game.
Yea that's what I assumed but I read (not picked up) a TON of red name things in plane view of people and no one cared until one of the rooms one person did. Seemingly you're allowed to read most of the books people just have laying around and they don't care but some do, it's just annoying that there's no distinction to me. Maybe all the other books in the other 3 rooms were owned by someone who is dead/away but that seems odd since some were definitely related to the person in the room

Amzin

Dec 5, 2018
For as great as the game overall is some of the QoL is shockingly missing. No option to require manually turning turn based off, no option to have entire party go into turn based if one person is (I don't even understand how this works, it just seems to skip the people in combat if I'm controlling someone out of combat and they die?), no ability to change the little right trigger wheel for controller, no easy way to manage turn based mode on controller, actually straight up no rebinding on controller at all. My party list got disordered somehow and nothing I can do seems to move it around again which is super annoying.

I want to minimize my mouse time since I HAVE to use it for work and some other stuff but doing anything even simple out of combat with a controller is just a worse experience right now for sure. Also since the UI switches (and lags) everytime you change inputs there's not a good way of binding keyboard controls to the controller using Steam input as a workaround, since it also tends to drop inputs when that happens.

Edit: Could just be a "me" problem I guess, the last big CRPG I played was probably BG2 so I just expect "pause" to be like, the single most used non-click button because it was crucial there (and outside of combat it seems crucial here for turn based often but YMMV)

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Sorcery Points can also be used for Metamagic, which lets you tweak spell effects(like range, duration, and many other things). Metamagic unlocks at level 2 and you can unlock new abilities as you level. You can also convert Sorcery Points into Spell Slots, which are used to cast spells(and vice versa). Both refresh when you take a long rest.

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
I have to say a Dark Urge playthrough is both tense and hilarious. You basically have to think twice about every suspicious choice but the end results can be so sudden I can't stop having a giggle
Like cutting Gale's hand with Shadowheart's quippy response or interacting with a squirrel and the avatar just casually kicks it into a rock

• Sweating

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
Anything involving inventory is such a god damn chore, at least with the controller. Million tiny icons everywhere.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I did not realize that the Mountain Pass and the Underdark weren't mutually exclusive! I now need to take a break from Moonrise Tower and go back and clear it(and do the gith quests, which I thought were here in the Shadow-Cursed place!).

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
What are sorcery points for a sorcerer?
My character is a sorceress so I can explain that (since it also confused me at first).
Sorcery points are a per-rest resource, just like spell slots. You can use them either to create new spell slots (with a specific cost per level) or to apply metamagic feats on spells (with a specific cost per feat).
You can also convert spell slot charges to sorcery points. Both directions of conversion are Bonus Actions.

Edit: I just saw that this was already answered. For someone playing BG3 you'd assume they can read, but apparently not :p

Anything involving inventory is such a god damn chore, at least with the controller. Million tiny icons everywhere.
That's why, despite not having tried the game with a controller, I was confused by people saying that it works as well as M/KB. Even a great controller implementation just can't work all that well with an RPG inventory IMHO.
The mouse/kb interface is about as good as it can be, with filtering etc.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I slept with Shadowheart. Are you kidding me Larian ? I want something more graphic, ffs !
Actually I don't really want any of that, and romance imho has taken far too much importance post-BG2.

But err, for a game that has two locations in options to tame sex scenes and where you can choose your dong and vulva, my torrid night with Shadowheart was less sensual than shaking hands with someone.

Last edited:

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
No sorcerer in my party (My bard, Karlach, Shadowheart and Wyll). Reading the above makes me feel I'm missing out. But I don't like Gale that much. Hmm...

One minor annoyance in the UI is that the Shift and Ctrl click does not work in bartering/trade. Seems to be an oversight, I know there's add to wares, but I like to pick and choose in the bartering mode more really.

I'm 33 hours in, and knee deep in Grymforge. I can't really concentrate on my work now because of this game.

OP
Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
I finally reached the Githyanki créche and made their queen so mad that she used the Wish spell to kill me lol

rickyson33

Apr 26, 2019
No sorcerer in my party (My bard, Karlach, Shadowheart and Wyll). Reading the above makes me feel I'm missing out. But I don't like Gale that much. Hmm...

One minor annoyance in the UI is that the Shift and Ctrl click does not work in bartering/trade. Seems to be an oversight, I know there's add to wares, but I like to pick and choose in the bartering mode more really.

I'm 33 hours in, and knee deep in Grymforge. I can't really concentrate on my work now because of this game.
Gale isn't a Sorcerer anyways he's a Wizard

although you could always respec him(or anyone) to it if you wanted

Reactions: didamangi

Amzin

Dec 5, 2018
That's why, despite not having tried the game with a controller, I was confused by people saying that it works as well as M/KB. Even a great controller implementation just can't work all that well with an RPG inventory IMHO.
The mouse/kb interface is about as good as it can be, with filtering etc.
The game seems pretty good with a controller out of the gate, but the more you play the more problems you run into for sure. Inventory, party control, targeting anything that isn't at ground level, or even targeting specific things near each other (I accidentally hit members of my own party twice last night because it looked like the cursor was targeting the enemy). At this point if I install it on my Deck I'd probably use a M+KB layout for the controls and use the touchpads.

Actually, why do they even have the different inventory for the controller? The mouse one looks better and would work identically

Edit: Oh as far as my progress, I'm only 11 hours in, wandered into a phase spider cave, took out (with some pain) the greeting committee, then noped out when I saw the matriarch and her squad, that's too much for my depleted resource level 3 group.

OP
Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
My main character surely is clumsy as I just destroyed the whole ginthyanki créche as I grabbed a shiny new weapon

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
24.5 hours in now and i'm still on the surface in act 1
I'm double that amount and still in chapter 1. I could have moved on some time ago but there's still too much to do and find in the first act.

KingKrouch

Dec 14, 2021
Somewhat on-topic for the game itself, but I'm finding the whole "anomaly" takes and how BG3 "shouldn't" raise the bar from AAA developer employees on Twitter to be missing the point a bit if you completely take cinematics out of the equation. Either that or some people are forced to say positive things about the current state of the industry as to not get fired, but that's getting slightly conspiratorial.

Larian has 400 employees, and they consistently have been putting out great cRPGs, and their executives are passionate about the stuff that they make (Although I do agree that this part is an anomaly). This game doesn't feel focus tested and watered down for a "general audience". Meanwhile, Blizzard has around (or over) 9000 employees, and Diablo 4 couldn't really repair the broken good-will that the community has at the moment with Blizzard, the monetization and gameplay loop feels completely wack, and the writing in Diablo 4 still doesn't really hold a candle to 2 (While yes, it's better than Diablo 3's).

The closest comparison I could make in terms of employee count (Around 400 employees) and the experience with their own engine tech is Bethesda Game Studios, and the quality/polish and creative focus from their games feels like light years apart. They've been using their modified version of Gamebryo for what feels like 20 years at this point, and it's a given that their games launch with a whole host of problems.

I just don't see the situation being as grand as others are making it out to be, outside of the 175 hours of cutscenes, the different endings, and the script apparently being 2x as large as the entire Mass Effect trilogy combined. I feel like while the scope of content is raising the bar by a ton, there's a lot of notes that could be taken regarding the narrative & character writing, the depth to the gameplay (And simply being skilled in something not being enough to get past certain dialogue segments, as you have to roll D20's), and the level of polish here, even if AAA developers don't want to make something with 175 hours of cutscenes (Which I imagine would get stale really quickly if not for everything else with the game). Even games like Elden Ring which people touted as a breath of fresh air had a terrible launch on PC, and still hasn't really been fixed. So while cRPGs are not normally my cup of tea, I'm enjoying what I've been playing of a well polished game in 2023 (outside of Ratchet & Clank). I like what I've played of Divinity Original Sin 2, so I wanted to give this a try.

I'm probably going to sink my teeth into more of this game today. The keyboard and mouse controls are tolerable, but I wish there was a WASD movement option, as there's already controller support, and constantly having to realign my camera is a bit of a pain.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Unless I'm mistaken, the often repeated 170+ hours of cinematic is just noise, and the only thing I would reproach Larian. It's the kind a misleading number that is thrown by devs like Techland who includes every endings in their dumb stats. Again, if I understood things right this number includes every little cinematic, so every dialog, even the smallest bit. No shit it's high.
Not saying the prowess isn't real, the work behind the scene must have been ungodly, but as far as stats go, this is useless.

And I have issue with the anomaly talk, even if we omit what I already said on the topic. I don't see anomaly. I see talent, I see luck, and I see impressive management. No anomaly. Larian made smaller scale games. Then they kickstarted DOS 1 and had success. Then pushed the envelope and saw greater success. And then they pushed the envelope again with BG3.
The only anomaly I could see is Larian getting the green light to use the Baldur's Gate License, but we go back to great management. Sven was crazy enough to ask Hasbro when Larian had proven their worth, it paid.

• This!
Reactions: KingKrouch

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
So after playing the game for 30hrs I decided to go google some stuff I may have missed out on in Act 1. I'm just now in the mountain pass area and before I proceed it says to take care of any loose ends so I am guessing this next area (cursed lands) is the real start of Act 2. Or maybe I'm already in Act 2 since I just did all the Lae-zell stuff.

I looked up any companions I may have missed out on and this Minthara is the only one of the 10 I don't have in camp. And it looks like she is from the Goblin camp and that whole area blew up for me as I failed some dice rolls inside the camp and many fights broke out lol. But yea I am guessing there is no way to have both Minthara and Halsin in your companions as the druid vs goblin story won't allow it? I may be wrong but I hope I didn't miss out on a good companion because I kinda love all the others. I've overwritten a bunch of saves too so I can't go back that far in the game. I guess I'll get her in a 2nd playthrough when/if I ever do it.

But yea the game is incredible. I can't remember the last time I played a game this engrossing and immersive. It feels like a giant collaboration between 3 or 4 of your favorite devs. The writing is really good too. There is so many little things Larian did a good job with and all those little things hold the game together without things falling apart. Its really impressive.

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
I looked up any companions I may have missed out on and this Minthara is the only one of the 10 I don't have in camp. And it looks like she is from the Goblin camp and that whole area blew up for me as I failed some dice rolls inside the camp and many fights broke out lol. But yea I am guessing there is no way to have both Minthara and Halsin in your companions as the druid vs goblin story won't allow it? I may be wrong but I hope I didn't miss out on a good companion because I kinda love all the others. I've overwritten a bunch of saves too so I can't go back that far in the game. I guess I'll get her in a 2nd playthrough when/if I ever do it. [/ISPOILER]
Oof, don't know Minthara can be a companion. I don't want to slaughter kids in my first playthrough though, so that's fine.

OP
Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
It's crazy how there are some fights you can avoid or win just by passing skill checks, specially in Act 2. Talking about Act 2 the whole atmosphere there is amazing I think I did mostly of the quest there, I just need to go to the mausoleum and later the tower

About choices and reactivity I went to the Ginthyanki Créche and talked with the inquisitor, he wanted the artifact and I refused to give it to me, so a battle started and I managed to kill him, though the Githyanki Queen appears anyway and I decided to play her games and said I could kill the entity that is inside the artifact and supposedly protecting us from the Absolute.

I went into the Astral Plane, talked the the entity and decided to not kill it. The Queen is mad because I broke my promise and said she could send assassins to get me, in the end I destroyed the whole créche with the weapon that is located on the temple roof.

After all that happened Lae'zel was kind of mad but started questioning her faith in the queen and a rebel gynthianki appeared on my camp and talked about wanting to dethrone the queen, asked me to bring the artifact to Baldur's Gate and gave an item that resonates when there are Gynthianki hunters near, and to my surprise it worked. My level 8 characters where being hunted by a group of level 8 and a level 9, since it told me about the ambush I positioned my party and managed to win the fight.

I looked up any companions I may have missed out on and this Minthara is the only one of the 10 I don't have in camp. And it looks like she is from the Goblin camp and that whole area blew up for me as I failed some dice rolls inside the camp and many fights broke out lol. But yea I am guessing there is no way to have both Minthara and Halsin in your companions as the druid vs goblin story won't allow it? I may be wrong but I hope I didn't miss out on a good companion because I kinda love all the others. I've overwritten a bunch of saves too so I can't go back that far in the game. I guess I'll get her in a 2nd playthrough when/if I ever do it.
Oof, don't know Minthara can be a companion. I don't want to slaughter kids in my first playthrough though, so that's fine.
some folks on reddit claimed that they were able to recruit Minthara and Halsin

• Eyes
Reactions: yuraya