Community Book club - What are you reading and what have you read recently

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Glad to be here too mate.
I hear you started Miniature painting. Nice.
me? nah ... but Li Kao made a thread for it :) check it out:

• Hug
Reactions: Li Kao

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I've started reading The Looting Machine by Tom Burgis and it's really starting strong. I can't say for sure, having gone through it just yet but it seems like a very powerful exposition of just how Africa has been exploited and striped of its resources systematically by both its governments and associated industries.

toxicitizen

Wake the fuck up, Samurai
Oct 24, 2018
Speaking of Hyperion, that was an insanely great book. The Priest story blew me away at the start and i was hooked. Still haven't gotten to the other books in the series even though i already own "Fall of Hyperion" and "Endymion".
If you liked Hyperion then get on Fall of Hyperion asap. It's so freaking good! It's less of a sequel and more like the second half of the book. I haven't touched the Endymion books yet either, though. Fall of Hyperion has a satisfying enough ending that it makes for a good spot to take a break and I wanted to get to other books before getting into them. Working my way through the last few Dark Tower books right now.

Reactions: Pranooy
OP
Pranooy

Pranooy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sep 8, 2018

So finished "Project Hail Mary", this past weekend. It is basically a really good sci-fi novel in the same vein as his first book "The Martian".
Starts off with a lot of similarity to The Martian, but branches of to do some really cool stuff. I think this is a better book than The Martian, mainly coz we have no idea about the circumstance that lead to the current situation and that is slowly revealed in parallel to the current happenings that make up the main storyline.

Really enjoyed it overall and folks who liked The Martian should love it too IMO.
Even folks who enjoy grounded sci-fi (lots of explanation of the scientific reasoning) should check it out.

If you liked Hyperion then get on Fall of Hyperion asap. It's so freaking good! It's less of a sequel and more like the second half of the book. I haven't touched the Endymion books yet either, though. Fall of Hyperion has a satisfying enough ending that it makes for a good spot to take a break and I wanted to get to other books before getting into them. Working my way through the last few Dark Tower books right now.
Wanted to start "Fall of Hyperion", but instead started "The Shadow of Gods" by John Gwynne. It is a Norse-inspired fantasy with some interesting protagonists - a mother, an ex-slave and a warrior.

Check out this cool cover!!

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman and Pommes

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
The desire to read something was building up inside me for some weeks now, and I was a little fed up with only reading my Lovecraft / The Weird anthologies, so I started I short read, 'We have always lived in the castle' by Shirley Jackson.
I reserve full judgement for when I hypothetically finish it, but I can say for the time being that while I can respect the intent, it's fucking god-awfully boring to read.

I'm at page 80/151, and should really read a little bit of it today before my usual bedtime reading session, because I sure won't bear to read 80 other pages in one go if things keep the same.

- Moral of the story -
You may have reading OCD and can't see yourself reading mammoth 800 pages books, but short isn't always the answer :sweaty-blob:

Reactions: Pranooy and lashman

FunnyJay