|OT| Elden Ring - Foul Tarnished, in search of the Elden Ring

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
Yea I couldn't figure out which word I guess lol (conditions/ailments/status effects) xD
There are Cure Poison, Flame, Cleanse Me and Lord's Aid. I usually have Flame, Cleanse Me equipped.

Edit: i'm currently fighting against Radahn! The whole atmosphere in that area is pretty cool, I can consistently manage to bring his health down but these meteor he summons always one shot me.

Last edited:
  • This!
Reactions: QFNS and Li Kao

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
Thanks! Are curved GS DEX based mostly? I checked the wiki for my weapon and even tho I need more STR than DEX to wield this weapon the scaling at the end is DEX B and STR C...so what Oo

Reactions: QFNS

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
I'm not entirely sure, I have some Curved GS and it seems a few of them appear to favor quality builds. Though keep in mind that you can change which attribute it scales when installing an Ash of War on it!

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
There are some spots in Caelid. Did you already killed the big mom dragon there? It gives a lot of runes there is also the the boulder trap near a tower, jump on Torrent and when the boulder spawns just not get hit. It should give around 1900 runes, still near that place at night a Night Cavalry spawns, killing it should give you around 40k runes. All these are near the Lenne's Rise site of grace.
Thanks! After exploring the area that you specify thoroughly, I think I found an even more efficient farming strategy, but only if you deal decent ranged damage: After the bridge with the dragon, there is a site of grace, which the strategy is centered around. The big plain type area that you are now in has roaming enemies, which give about 1000 runes per enemy. In the area to the left from the bridge there are four enemies, in the area forward from the bridge there are three more enemies, and in the area to the right from the bridge there is a single additional enemy. The plain area is huge and has a lot more enemies than that, but I found the farming to be more comfortable and safe when limiting it to those mentioned enemies. Please note that the roaming enemies can be quite dangerous, for example they can one hit kill my sorcerer with a shockwave type attack, so I don't think this strategy would work very good as a melee character.

I still haven't found a better rune farming spot than the very first one I used: the bonfire before Godrick. Get up, kill the giant and the 2 guys with him, rinse, repeat.. I can do a bit over 2000 runes/minute there, but it's rather mind-numbing.
I used the strategy explained above to go from level 50 to 75. It is about 8000 runes per minute with perfect efficiency. Still mind-numbing, but a bit faster

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
I killed the boss mentioned in my previous post! What an amazing fight, the aftermath helps with the world building just showing how ridiculous powerful that boss was.

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
As for farming spots, I have discovered three of them.

Early-ish game
First one, following D's questline you can go visit the uh,
clerical beast, I guess.
Get out of the building, obviously avoid the giant motherfucker, then go ham on the black ninja gnomes. They can be tricky, you may need to be a certain level, but 1000xp a pop. Do the whole plain and profit (avoid the group of three of them in the south east, unless you want to suffer).
I ended up using a version of this.

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
I'm not entirely sure, I have some Curved GS and it seems a few of them appear to favor quality builds. Though keep in mind that you can change which attribute it scales when installing an Ash of War on it!
It's a boss unique (not legendary I think) weapon so no dice there, unless I can do it somewhere?

Reactions: Panda Pedinte

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Oh, i think i found that place with the Ninja Gnomes earlier on when i went back to an area ( Church of Ilith by the coast ) and there's ( a pond behind it with a glowing tombstone that teleports you to the Beast Castle ). I do wonder if i've screwed up my game by exploring so much while not killing big bosses etc.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
I restarted a few times and finally settled on Prisoner start, focused on DEX/INT

Just beat what I think is the first story boss Margit and we killed each other at the same time thanks to my magic delay. Of course the game gave me credit for the kill, so it is now the most lame kill I have ever had in a souls game :notlikethisblob:

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I do quite love the game overall. But the more I play, the more I hurt for a consistent and constant narrative. I'm one of those people that generally relies on consistent story beats to keep me going in a game. Keep pushing me onwards and such. As I zip from location to location I don't particularly find myself bored so to speak. but perhaps not quite so motivated? Tonight is the first night I considered to stop playing early and just got watch some anime until bed... Feels weird.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
When I say the art direction hits really good sometimes…
The village on the northern end of Altus ! So so good, creepax as fuck and verrry reminiscent of a
recent movie

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
How do you upload a video on the Internet ? I recorded my ultimate farming spot (not sure how useful it is as you have to first follow some npc questline AFAIK).
Wait, I'm dumb, Youtube ?

Do I risk something regarding copyright or some shit ?

Avern

MetaMember
May 14, 2020
I'm level 29 and still can't beat Margit , how impossible is this game going to be for me?XD
It's reasonable to struggle with Margit, even at your level. Don't worry about it. I think I beat him around level 28, and it took me plenty of attempts. His moveset is diverse, which makes it hard to keep track of all the many ways you need to respond to his various actions.

A couple of tips:

Fight through the first phase normally, then summon wolves or a jellyfish for the second phase. The first phase is easier to learn, so fighting through to the second phase before summoning means you'll have help during the harder part, instead of the easier part.

If you haven't gone south and explored the Weeping Peninsula yet, consider doing that first. It's easier than Margit and Castle Stormveil.

Also, because he's so tough for an early game boss, try to really lean into the strengths of your weapons. If you're wielding something big, try to use the larger gaps in his attacks to get fully charged heavy attacks to try to stun him. With a bleed weapon, try to keep landing hits regularly so you can get the bleed to proc. If you've got a shield, you can try to learn some parry timings if you're feeling particularly spicy.

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
Such stupid idea putting an enemy like that in a cramped room, specialy with a boss that spills lava while running aimless through said room.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Don't advance further in the next area if you haven't done much else in the game beyond exploring, like defeat bosses and things. Or do, as you're not me...
Such stupid idea putting an enemy like that in a cramped room, specialy with a boss that spills lava while running aimless through said room.

Dec 5, 2018
I have to say that i didn't expect to be killed by a random mob that looks like an Iron maiden with wheels and then end up in a volcano after being "eaten"

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
I bet him on my first try... by abusing the the Marionette Soldier summon. :evilblob: His butt was wide open for me to smash. The Marionette are also good for staggering bosses/breaking their stance.
I'm level 29 and still can't beat Margit , how impossible is this game going to be for me?XD
You can also break his stance a lot quicker if you use jump attacks. Anyway, his moveset is all over the place and isn't really a good boss design overall. There's a late game version of this boss that is even worse since he's just constantly spamming attacks.

Reactions: Le Pertti

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I bet him on my first try... by abusing the the Marionette Soldier summon. :evilblob: His butt was wide open for me to smash. The Marionette are also good for staggering bosses/breaking their stance.

You can also break his stance a lot quicker if you use jump attacks. Anyway, his moveset is all over the place and isn't really a good boss design overall. There's a late game version of this boss that is even worse since he's just constantly spamming attacks.
Are you saying that the second time wasn’t the last ? He randomly appeared on the road outside the city. Please no third time, it’s not a charm :cryingwhyblob:

In other news I just beat my first Godskin. Hard. Not the worst but I was shaking a little after the fight.

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
Don't advance further in the next area if you haven't done much else in the game beyond exploring, like defeat bosses and things. Or do, as you're not me...
I already beat the main boss there, it was just a cave I still have not explored in Caelid :p

I need to try some other spirit summons, all I've been using lately are the Albinaurics and the Wolves.

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
OK, I'm 22 hours in and only justy nothiced there's East Limgrave :V

Took the elevator down to Siofra River

I had gone north to the Lakes before and just completely missed this whole area

Can't get over how big this game is

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Beat a minor tunnel boss with magic spam which was nice. Got transported somewhere with a trapped chest, took a quick look around and noped up somesteps to the Grace and left ASAP. Very pretty area but "felt" deadly for my level 32 Astrologer and there was no way i was taking the lift down or going through an arch into the next section. I could see that trap a mile away.

Done a lot more exploring, upped my DEX so my casting is a bit faster, got some lovely spam kills by getting up high and using my gravity based spells.

I have also cultivated an immense disliking for Ballistas. Assholes.

• Evil

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
Took the elevator down to Siofra River

I just finished this area a few hours ago. Visually, it's my favourite one so far. Ended up taking a bunch of screenshots, too!

I need to try some other spirit summons, all I've been using lately are the Albinaurics and the Wolves.

Just be aware that the marionette is pretty much a stationary summon. They won't follow you around and move very slowly towards bosses.

Reactions: Stevey

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
I'm currently exploring Nokron after I a meteor opened a crater on Limgrave, fought the Mimic Tear and it was a nice novelty fight with it having the same gear as you do.

What I wasnt expecting was finding a spirit ash that lets you summon it! Imagine that thing with some OP builds, it may demolish the game lol.

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
I can't figure out how to get to the South West area of Liurnia Lakes . There's things on top of a cliff but I can't find a way up, although I did find a village under it.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I already beat the main boss there, it was just a cave I still have not explored in Caelid :p

Ah, it's another place way up north that also happens to have a magma wyrm as boss. But it's not in a cramped room. When you find another such boss in a decently large dungeon that interconnects to a separate area rather than give you the go back to the entrance teleport thing, then it's the part I'm talking about.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
25 ish hours played and i still pick up new resources.

Does anyone do much crafting? All I've really made are fire pots and the multiplayer doodars.

Also what does altering the garments do? seems to just lower the stats a bit from what I've seen.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Changes the appearance like removing capes and other frills. Super lame. But there are supposedly some that are already altered so that can restore them 🤷‍♂️

There are loads of craftables, you get recipes from vendors/loot, so loads of materials, I use them a lot, not so much fancy stuff but bombs/arrows/bolts/darts.

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
Ah, it's another place way up north that also happens to have a magma wyrm as boss. But it's not in a cramped room. When you find another such boss in a decently large dungeon that interconnects to a separate area rather than give you the go back to the entrance teleport thing, then it's the part I'm talking about.
I already beat this one too! In fact that was the first one I found.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Joe Spangle Yes yes yes. The base enemies in there are a pain, granted, but the boss didn’t give me difficulty as a melee and it’s the path to meet an important character.

Me, I will try to finish the game soon as there doesn’t seem to be a lot of content left for me, but I honestly will try to make that my last From. I’m just super tired of their bullshit and maybe it’s rose tinted glasses but the game is nowhere near the first two Dark Souls, in my subjective perfect balance.

For those with a melee build (magic surely mostly apply too) and who aren’t god skilled, I can confirm what I read on Era, and what Panda Pedinte mentioned. Get yourself the
Mimic
ash, upgrade it to max and use a
bleed
weapon.
It sorta break the bosses, it is relatively easy mode, but yeah, given what the game throws at you in late game…

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I already beat this one too! In fact that was the first one I found.
Well when I progressed to the next area stuff happened, I didn't have time to do npc quests etc. unless you mean yet another or something else was the trigger.

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
Jesus wept......
Caria Manor

Nope Nope Nope.
The big things are weak to bleed and panic when set on fire for the first time. Once you find the entrance to the building that place gets a lot more doable.

Well when I progressed to the next area stuff happened, I didn't have time to do npc quests etc. unless you mean yet another or something else was the trigger.
I've being doing all the NPC quests I've found so far.

• Nepheli - Gave her some ashes after giving the potion made by Seluvius to Gideon;
  • Corhyn - He already left the Roundtable after I reached Altus Plateau, but I found him there and I guess that's the start of his quest as he is searching for the Goldmask;
  • Fia - She gave me a dagger, I gave it to D and she killed him(?) babbled about not seeking some lord and teleported away
  • Ranni - Defeated Radahn, found the weapon she asked. I also found a small doll resembling her and there was an option to talk to it now she asked me to kill something or someone but I did not pay attention to it's name.
  • Ofnir bodyguard - I killed him when he tried to kill me
  • Rogier - he died, but I got a letter he wrote saying D has a twin brother in somewhere (I guess this one may tie someway in Fia's quest)
  • Diallos - Asked to search for his servant, he finds her dead in Liurnia, vows to avenge her and infiltrate whatever group killed her
  • Blind NPC in Liurnia - Brought her a necklace and she gave me a letter invitation, still not sure where this going.

I may have forgotten a few minor quests but I think that is it. Currently I'm exploring Norkron and I'm already done with Limgrave, Liurnia (I may have only one cave not completed there and the tower with the OP mage), Caelid (still need to finish the tower and some places where the enemy levels seems way higher than the rest of this place).

I already have access to the Altus Plateau, got it by accessing the elevator and also the caves.

Reactions: Joe Spangle

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I need to make a list of quests i've done or have triggered. I have them scrawled down somewhere but not in an organised manner.
Found what i think is a really nice weapon for Faith builds but it needs 30 Faith and i'm an Int/Dex build. Sadge.
I also think i need to kill some story bosses to advance some flags and unlock story progress as i have found places that are obviously relevant later on but i can't question anyone about them yet. Find Place, go back to NPC who is obviously involved because reasons and they say nothing.

Poked around the Desert type area yesterday and i'm not ready to handle big groups of mobs up close in there yet. One mistake and i'm done for.

The game is literally unplayable.

lol

Last edited:

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I have no idea when it comes to the NPCs, usually do a playthrough first and then on NG+ look up some of the lore and things to do.

Making notes is a good idea.

Reactions: Stevey

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Lol how can I be so bad at this game, tried Margit again after I've gotten some levels and upgraded my weapons and tried summon my wolves later... and it goes even worse for me now. Before I got him down to at best 10% but now I manage to get him down to 25%.

EDIT, hah! Just beat him fuck yeah! It worked best to summon from the start, that way he couldn't take out anyone quickly so most were alive even at the end, hell even Rogier made it!

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I made it to the last region. Two paragraphs left in the guide I follow for the ending I want. Five bosses (or 6 if I’m a masochist).
Next one is the
comedy duo
I’m scared.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018
Feels good, defeated 2 bosses nearly back to back without many retries Rennala and Loretta.. That said I'm not sure where to go next.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
A little help from those who finished it or spoiled themselves on the endings.

So I just beat the 2nd major dungeon, which was lovely, and explored all of Liurnia. I now have 2 shards and after returning to Roundtable the fingers told me to go to the capital and become a lord.
Before I screw myslef on an ending I don't want, what will happen if I go to the capital and defeat whatever dungeon and bosses are there? Does the game end?

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I did the Rennala boss fight today, that was an awesome visual spectacle.

I have no idea when it comes to the NPCs, usually do a playthrough first and then on NG+ look up some of the lore and things to do.
Yeah, same here. I'm really anal about not looking up / spoiling anything for myself in the souls games. So I usually even end up running the numbers for various equipment on my own.

I can still do whatever quests I'm missing in NG+.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
I did the Rennala boss fight today, that was an awesome visual spectacle.

Yeah, same here. I'm really anal about not looking up / spoiling anything for myself in the souls games. So I usually even end up running the numbers for various equipment on my own.

I can still do whatever quests I'm missing in NG+.
I did this fight the other night also. What a cool idea for a fight. Was a really interesting phase 1, if not terribly exciting and then phase 2 kicks off and I'm just wow'd by the visual changes. So beautiful, but you don't get a lot of time to look around before being kicked in the teeth by the boss lol.

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
A little help from those who finished it or spoiled themselves on the endings.

So I just beat the 2nd major dungeon, which was lovely, and explored all of Liurnia. I now have 2 shards and after returning to Roundtable the fingers told me to go to the capital and become a lord.
Before I screw myslef on an ending I don't want, what will happen if I go to the capital and defeat whatever dungeon and bosses are there? Does the game end?
I'm far from finishing it, even though I have access to the capital I'm still exploring as I don't think being level 70 in the capital will make my life easy. But I guess you can finish the game with only 2 runes.