News Epic Games Store

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Epic expected 200+ million accounts at the end of 2020 but wound up with 160 million.

This slide is pretty interesting since they're doing some Hollywood accounting. The 2019 revenue numbers include December 2018 revenue for EGS and Fortnite which is $65.5 million. So from January 2019-December 2019 the actual revenue was $614.5 million (also this indirectly shows they actually had decent growth from January 2020-December 2020 as the total was 700 million or 12% growth). Additionally they include sales tax and VAT as part of revenue which boosts the overall numbers by around 10% (I assume they did the same thing for 2020 but can't confirm it).

The publishing deals from Remedy, Playdead and Gendesign were already known, but it appears they are also publishing games from Eyes Out and Cubit Studios. The Cubit Studios game is most likely a title called Infintesimals while I cannot find anything related to Eyes Out other than an article from 2008 which shows them recruiting for a MMO (which is sorely outdated).

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
What does those numbers mean, like in regards to Control?
They are not that interesting in terms of absolute value, unless you have an intuition of how many copies a game should be able to sell.

However, they provide a ranking of the best-sellers (with the precise distribution of sales) on EGS during the sales at the end the year of 2019.
For instance, Division 2's sales are twice as high as Control's. I am a bit surprised to see some games in front of others.

Caveat: the most obvious bias is that games which cost less than $15 cannot appear on that ranking, because the coupon could not be applied to them.

That is the kind of information that you would never have from Valve. We have a ranking on Steam without any figure or distribution of sales.

Last edited:

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Even though the team is too small for the task and pace, they offer paternity leave. I don't know if it is a thing for every big US company.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Behavior during the first 5 days (of what?*) w.r.t. wishlists is different from behavior w.r.t. purchases: Borderlands 3 is the best-selling game on EGS, and only comes fourth in terms of wishlists.

*it could be the first 5 days after the store page was published.
I also appreciate the fact that people wishlist the upcoming free game of the week. :lul:

Risks for EGS staff (no idea what MIT means):

I think MIT is mitigation

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
The publishing deals from Remedy, Playdead and Gendesign were already known, but it appears they are also publishing games from Eyes Out and Cubit Studios. The Cubit Studios game is most likely a title called Infintesimals while I cannot find anything related to Eyes Out other than an article from 2008 which shows them recruiting for a MMO (which is sorely outdated).
Both Infinitesinals and Eyes Out game are winners of Megagrants so I'm not entirely sure if they meant publishing or just their money from that program.

Reactions: TheTrain

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
This might sound weird, but it's weird reading that one of the key people behind EGS playing a game available on EGS and Steam on console instead, would have thought he would be using EGS for games available on EGS.

This is about R-Type Final 2.

I know that Gabe stated in an interview in regards to Cyberpunk that he doesn't really have any visiblity towards consoles. Valve doesn't seem to care much about consoles in general. If Alyx releases on PSVR 2 it would be in regards on how they can make Steam grow. Like if PSVR 2 can be connected to SteamVR on PC.

Last edited:

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
This might sound weird, but it's weird reading that one of the key people behind EGS playing a game available on EGS and Steam on console instead, would have thought he would be using EGS for games available on EGS.

This is about R-Type Final 2.

I know that Gabe stated in an interview in regards to Cyberpunk that he doesn't really have any visiblity towards consoles. Valve doesn't seem to care much about consoles in general. If Alyx releases on PSVR 2 it would be in regards on how they can make Steam grow. Like if PSVR 2 can be connected to SteamVR on PC.
I don't think Valve would bother to port Alyx themselves to Playstation VR 2 just because they probably wouldn't consider it worth their employee's time but I could see them being fine with Sony hiring a third party studio to port it for Valve/Sony.

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019
I just viewed the last seven pages here about the trial. This is the closest thing to a shit throwing brawl I can imagine and all I see is Tim painted brown oozing a heavy and unpleasant odour.

Lol at the humourless trolls. I might be a humourless human, night elf or even goblin but never a troll.

Edit: double text.

Last edited:

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019

I recognize Sweeney and his entitled logic there. "How dare a platform holder not support us unconditionally without having anything to gain in return?".

As in, what about everyone else on the platform and who isn't earning billions yearly?

Edit :

I love that this is some Apple and Epic lawyer's Monday.

This trial also has a fair degree of schadenfreude for me in that it's really "Old people try to understand what games are and how they work" after firmly avoiding anything related to them for the past four decades. Their nose is rubbed in it and I can't help enjoy the judge's complete confusion.

Last edited:

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
Could Apple sue Epic for ploting to harm their business with "Project Liberty" if Epic loses?

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
Who is Evans in this scenario? It's really confusing to pick out who is who the way this is being life-tweeted
Evans is the one who wrote that document on the tweet there claiming that after Fortnite was removed from the App Store people didn't play Fortnite on orther devices, the Judge is the one saying that people could simply had moved to other games like PUBG for the benefit of other devs, Evans says that hes "not adressing this particular issue there"

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Evans is the one who wrote that document on the tweet there claiming that after Fortnite was removed from the App Store people didn't play Fortnite on orther devices, the Judge is the one saying that people could simply had moved to other games like PUBG for the benefit of other devs, Evans says that hes "not adressing this particular issue there"
I think the part I don't get is who Evans works for. It seems like Epic, but he also seems somewhat antagonistic to both sides

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Sony and Nintendo haven't done anything to support Epic's case. Microsoft has and it's interesting to talk about why. I believe that Sony and Nintendo are acutely aware of the danger for their own walled gardens in the event of a win for Epic. Microsoft on the other hand is trying to convince the judge that consoles are different but I believe that they don't really care if the walled garden model collapses. They have already decided that their future in the business is all about Game Pass, so if they lose their walled garden but gain the ability to put Game Pass on everything they would be elated.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Sony and Nintendo haven't done anything to support Epic's case. Microsoft has and it's interesting to talk about why. I believe that Sony and Nintendo are acutely aware of the danger for their own walled gardens in the event of a win for Epic. Microsoft on the other hand is trying to convince the judge that consoles are different but I believe that they don't really care if the walled garden model collapses. They have already decided that their future in the business is all about Game Pass, so if they lose their walled garden but gain the ability to put Game Pass on everything they would be elated.
Bless comrade Phil!

He will deliver us emancipation from the prison gardens of console gaming!

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
They did probably technically sell hundreds of thousands of copies to Epic 😉
Yup, it's a MG, the dev and Pub doesn't care, they sold so and so much to Epic and don't care how much Epic sells. It's like shipped and sell-through, while the shipped number is a no-take-back-sy.

Reactions: Phoenix RISING

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
If certain games like Old World and Oddworld Soulstorm are full EGS exclusive than I think the devs should say it so people who are waiting for Steam releases can decide what to do.

Having no clear answer if Old World is permanently EGS egsxclusive makes me think it isn't otherwise the devs are doring a terrible job at communicating.

Reactions: Rogue Agent

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
[UWSL]the devs are doring a terrible job at communicating.[/UWSL]
This seems to be the case for a lot of devs after signing an exclusivity deal with Epic. Either Epic forbids or discourages them to talk about the Steam release, or the devs are too busy counting Epic's money to care. I assume it's the latter.

Reactions: Rogue Agent

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
This seems to be the case for a lot of devs after signing an exclusivity deal with Epic. Either Epic forbids or discourages them to talk about the Steam release, or the devs are too busy counting Epic's money to care. I assume it's the latter.
Old World also seems to be one of the least known EGS exclusives, Ooblets is more known (mostly through the announcement controversy) and Oddworld is also known, but people doesn't seem to care about it.

I have Old World on EGS from a preview key. It's okay, but nothing special.

Reactions: Ge0force

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Looks like Epic is doing the mystery giveaway again this year. I wonder if there will be any games on that spreadsheet that they tried for in the past.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018

Looks like Epic is doing the mystery giveaway again this year. I wonder if there will be any games on that spreadsheet that they tried for in the past.
Either that or I could even see them giving away Fall Guys as part of their integration under EOS