|OT| Genshin Impact - Breath of the Elements

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
Just played the new map for the TD minigame, pretty dumb layout, but fun nonetheless, TD minigame Coop is goddamn fun, hoping for a big map on later difficulties.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
The TD game is really fun. As an avid TD player it seems a bit too easy so far though. Even with unupgraded towers you can clear most waves just by using your characters well. And once you reach the higher upgrade tiers a decent combination of towers does everything on its own.

Also, I'm not a big "service game" fan at all, so the whole "let's create a cool new substantial part of the game and then only make it available for a limited time" thing still annoys me.

Reactions: Ascheroth

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I hope they make the TD minigame, at least, part of the weekly BP tasks.
That would be cool, but I think it will be gone after the event but show up in other country festivals.
I'm not sure if it was a leak, something official or a dream, but I remember something about Ruijin wanting to go bring the game to other countries if it got popular.

But yeah, having it available permanently and get some small rewards if you play it every now and then would be nice.
Imo the game really has a repeatable content problem. The only thing that got added since release was basically the reputation system with its bounties and quests once a week.
There's lots of different activities in total, but they always just remove them instead of using them to diversify the "base" activities.

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
That would be cool, but I think it will be gone after the event but show up in other country festivals.
I'm not sure if it was a leak, something official or a dream, but I remember something about Ruijin wanting to go bring the game to other countries if it got popular.

But yeah, having it available permanently and get some small rewards if you play it every now and then would be nice.
Imo the game really has a repeatable content problem. The only thing that got added since release was basically the reputation system with its bounties and quests once a week.
There's lots of different activities in total, but they always just remove them instead of using them to diversify the "base" activities.
For me, idealy, they would rework the TD minigame as something like the Abyss, with seasons and shit, abyss is just boring, it would be more fun, to me.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Even the bounties and reputation quests are not really that repeatable, since once you max your reputation the rewards aren't really worth it.

I'd say the only real growing (infinitely) repeatable content currently are the bosses and domains, and both of those are growing rather slowly.
I don't see this as a huge issue per se, since I don't need or want to spend hours on the game every single day, but more variety would still be nice.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
For me, idealy, they would rework the TD minigame as something like the Abyss, with seasons and shit, abyss is just boring, tt would be more fun, to me.
That would be really cool.
Yeah, Abyss is whatever.

Even the bounties and reputation quests are not really that repeatable, since once you max your reputation the rewards aren't really worth it.

I'd say the only real growing (infinitely) repeatable content currently are the bosses and domains, and both of those are growing rather slowly.
I don't see this as a huge issue per se, since I don't need or want to spend hours on the game every single day, but more variety would still be nice.
Yeah, it's about variety and options. I definitely do not want to have to do daily quests, food delivery, treasure hunting, tower defense, boss arenas, gliding challenges, etc every day, lol.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Web-Event:

So with the main chunk of the Lantern Rite event now over, here's what I think about it:

The tower defense carried it for me tbh. It's great fun.

The daily quests were ultimately disappointing. I don't mind that they are fleshing out regular NPCs, I'm a Falcom fanboy, I love fleshed out NPCs.
The big problem I have is that they are only fleshing out NPCs. Where are all the gachacharacters?
They had Xinyan play a concert in the trailer, with others in the crowd.
Yet in reality the only character that appears at all is Xiao. No one else exists. That is a huge downer.

And I don't understand it. From my understanding of gacha games, they want people to like the characters so that they spend money trying to get them.
So events are usually about these characters, trying to sell them to you (like the Fischl event).

Yet here we have an event about the biggest yearly festival in Liyue, yet not a single Liyue character outside of Xiao appears at all.

They could have mixed generic NPC fetch quests with fetch quests for gacha characters. Mechanically still nothing special, but people would care more because of the connection to characters they already like.

Man, if the upcoming Mondstadt festival is the same....

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Good points regarding the curious absence of those characters in the world quests.

As planned, I pulled for Keqing.... and it didn't go all that well. I got the first 5 star at 80 pulls, and it was the one character in the rotation I really didn't want: Diluc. So I went again, and at least I got Keqing around pull 70. So a total of ~150 pulls. Not ideal, now I'm basically almost out of 80% of the resources I had saved up. Since I won't buy currency directly (outside of the pass) this means I'm not pulling for anyone for the next several months.

That said, as I thought I would, I really love Keqing's gameplay, so that's good.
And due to all those pulls on this banner I managed to get Ningguang from C0 to C6. I don't have the resources to build her right now (at all), but that's a nice long-term project to work on while I can't get new characters. She would actually, realistically, be a more meaningful addition to my team than Keqing, given that I don't have any good options for rapidly breaking shields. I just don't like her character as much.

Panda Pedinte

Banned
Sep 20, 2018
The big problem I have is that they are only fleshing out NPCs. Where are all the gachacharacters?
They had Xinyan play a concert in the trailer, with others in the crowd.
Yet in reality the only character that appears at all is Xiao. No one else exists. That is a huge downer.
This right there. I was disappointed when no other gacha appeared.

Like this is supposed to be a big event happening in Liyue and there were no involvement from Ningguang or Keqing? Not even Zhongli appearing to say some random facts about the whole festival. :(

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
This right there. I was disappointed when no other gacha appeared.

Like this is supposed to be a big event happening in Liyue and there were no involvement from Ningguang or Keqing? Not even Zhongli appearing to say some random facts about the whole festival. :(
They even went out of their way to write-away the characters, like when you go to the pharmacy for one quest the guy tells you Qiqi and Baizhu are out, and same with the restoraunt, where Xiangling is out.
Makes absolutely no sense at all.
And instead you get a random Kaeya appearance.

Someone made a Trailer vs reality comparison and it's just damning.

I've heard that the Lantern Rite was actually old content (it's been around in the beta a year ago already), so there's a chance the upcoming Mondstadt festival in 1.4 handles that stuff better, but it's baffling that they thought it was a good idea to handle the Lantern Rite like that.

If they had literally the same amount of fetch quests to do, but half of them were given to you by the gacha chars (don't even need to be voiced) and just placed them into the world with 3 lines of unvoiced dialog it would have already been much better received.

Anyway, I've been more or less in "maintenance" mode, working on leveling my chars to fetch the free ascension wishes mainly, and also do the 80/90 ascensions for my main guys inbetween, and try to make some other chars I like useable.

Since the new Abyss Floor 12 is fucking garbage, I'm back to ignoring that, which means nothing in the game is a challenge, so I can do whatever.
(It's mainly a horrible gear check, and I can't be arsed fighting against RNG to upgrade my mediocre artifacts)

Here's my current roster:

Level 80s are 80/90, 70s are 70/80, etc. Sole exception is Ningguang at 70/70 since I'm currently working on her.
Only 4* I'm missing is Diona, who I'll grab in 1.4 assuming there will be the same "choose a Mondstadt 4* character" event.
Still need lots of artifacts for a lot of chars, which I'm working on on the side, but artifact farming is hell, so it's kind of a low priority (since I assume they will eventually will make this easier or overhaul it, so I like to focus on the finite and permanent upgrades first)

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
So the lunar new year lottery is done, you can get your primos on the web event.
Got a whopping 108 gems from it, yay.

Reactions: Panda Pedinte

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
So the lunar new year lottery is done, you can get your primos on the web event.
Got a whopping 108 gems from it, yay.
Same.
The fact that this is 1) randomized and 2) the lowest tier (which most will probably get) is less then a single wish, while we just got a wish as a login reward is.... rough.
Well, there's a new survey, I made sure to roast them about that and the disappointing lack of any gacha characters being involved in the Lantern Rite. Not that I expect anything from that.

Reactions: Panda Pedinte