Community MetaSteam | April 2020 - A Disaster Report From Raccoon City

Status
Not open for further replies.

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018

PRELOAD NOW...

cheap key i guess? Fallout 76 Bethesda Key for PC - Buy now

Players must link their Bethesda.net and Steam accounts by April 12 to get the free copy. Anyone who links their accounts on time will “automatically receive a copy of the game on Steam,” according to the company.
Seems they slightly unfucked the regional pricing.

None of the other keys are there for India, so I guess Steam version is the only purchase option for me.

Doesn't mean I'll get it. Not giving Todd more money to bastardize this franchise more.

Reactions: lashman

Dekunator

Timmy Tencent owes me money
Apr 17, 2019

PRELOAD NOW...

Players must link their Bethesda.net and Steam accounts by April 12 to get the free copy. Anyone who links their accounts on time will “automatically receive a copy of the game on Steam,” according to the company.
Thank you for saying this, I didn't hear about this at all and just linked my account!

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I think Im just gonna stop playing Warframe. The thing is that the gameplay it self is a lot of fun, but the missions are the same boring shit all the time. Excacation, data collecting, horde waves over and over. And it looks like most of the environment on each planet is copy pasted.

Reactions: Li Kao and Swenhir

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Started playing Neverwinter Nights again, haven't played it since back in the day. I thought I would hate the aged graphics but I actually don't mind them at all! But the weird thing about the game is that the performance is complete shit, can barely keep 30fps with 720p resolution. Thankfully the game is old and thus designed for low resolutions.
If you have the enhanced edition, make sure to deactivate stuff like SSAO and water details. They are bad performance's biggest culprits.

Reactions: Le Pertti

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
My pc suddenly stopped working today. Problem seems to be my gpu, my system boots fine when I remove it. Using the other PCIe slot causes the same problem. I'm not sure what to do now. I'm not even sure the problem is the gpu itself, it can be the motherboard as well. My country is still in lockdown so I can't go to anyone else to test the gpu. What a shitty situation 😔

DollEyes

Out of Mana
Apr 17, 2019
I think Im just gonna stop playing Warframe. The thing is that the gameplay it self is a lot of fun, but the missions are the same boring shit all the time. Excacation, data collecting, horde waves over and over. And it looks like most of the environment on each planet is copy pasted.
Coincidentally I just got back into the game this weekend :p I even received my first ever 75% coupon.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
I received a private message from someone who is not on my friend list, and with whom I have automatically traded a few trading cards with ASF. I have not read the message (in Steam chat of the Steam client): there was a big disclaimer from Valve that I had to be wary of scammers, and I had a box to tick to acknowledge that I had read the disclaimer before I could read the message, and I have closed the window instead.

Any idea how it is possible to send a message to someone who is not on one's friend list? Maybe madjoki?

I also see that I have two Steam groups in common with the dude:

The trade:

My guess is that it is either using the fact that we traded, the groups, or the trade token?

Edit: It looked exactly like this: Has anyone encounter Private Steam Messages from Malicious Hacked Accounts?

Last edited:

FeedMeAStrayCat

When you see me again, it won't be me.
Sep 19, 2018
Pennsylvania
So here I am, focusing on another The Evil Within playthrough to get stuff I missed, enjoying the Dreamscaper: Prologue and wanting to pick up the supporter's pack for that, and then magically a gift of Voxelgram shows up and everything is thrown into ruin. The best ruin possible :fearful-face:

freshVeggie

almost there
Sep 7, 2018

PRELOAD NOW...

Hm, I remember reading F76 went for 6 bucks at some point. Might be misremembering but that's the discount I'd feel comfortable with.
My pc suddenly stopped working today. Problem seems to be my gpu, my system boots fine when I remove it. Using the other PCIe slot causes the same problem. I'm not sure what to do now. I'm not even sure the problem is the gpu itself, it can be the motherboard as well. My country is still in lockdown so I can't go to anyone else to test the gpu. What a shitty situation 😔
That blows, sorry man. How heavy is the lockdown? If going outside is still allowed for 1-2 people, you could ask a friend/relative to let them borrow their PC. That way you could test their GPU to be certain whether that is the cause. Good luck. Broken hardware is a true pain.
Try disconnecting unnecessary parts from your MOBO, extra HDDs, DVD drive, maybe even Ram. I had something like that once and it turned out to be a defective internal DVD drive.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I received a private message from someone who is not on my friend list, and with whom I have automatically traded a few trading cards with ASF. I have not read the message (in Steam chat of the Steam client): there was a big disclaimer from Valve that I had to be wary of scammers, and I had a box to tick to acknowledge that I had read the disclaimer before I could read the message, and I have closed the window instead.

Any idea how it is possible to send a message to someone who is not on one's friend list? Maybe madjoki?

I also see that I have two Steam groups in common with the dude:

The trade:

My guess is that it is either using the fact that we traded, the groups, or the trade token?

Edit: It looked exactly like this: Has anyone encounter Private Steam Messages from Malicious Hacked Accounts?

Beside the fact that the profile looks pretty creepy, the fact the script is two years old, assuming it was the one used to contact you, is pretty unacceptable.

I'm wondering whether this is a widespread phenomenon.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Finished FF7 Remake

OH BOY

Last time i've been this positive on a new mainline title was XII.

The combat is incredibly fun, even though on paper it sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.
It's an action-based combat system as everybody nows, with the command menu based controls of Kingdom Hearts, Oldschool-ATB elements AND FFXIII stagger based system and it somehow works really well.

It's like a much slower, more strategical kingdom hearts game and it somehow manages to still feel like an actual final fantasy games too, by the conclusion of the ATB elements and all the classic final fantasy spells, this is such a whiplash coming after the terrible and terribly janky FFXV.

The biggest issue with the game is the boring middlepart that has quite a bit of filler that kills the pacing for a while, i was almost ready to write the game off as a disappointment because of that part, but the last third made more than up for it.

The cutscene direction reminded me a lot of Yakuza games and the writing/localization was incredibly good as well.

Now i am REALLY looking forward to FFXVI again if it can hold this level of quality.

Ima double dip so hard on the PC version for every signle episode.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Finished FF7 Remake

OH BOY

The combat is incredibly fun, even though on paper it sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.
It's an action-based combat system as everybody nows, with the command menu based controls of Kingdom Hearts, Oldschool-ATB elements AND FFXIII stagger based system and it somehow works really well.

It's like a much slower, more strategical kingdom hearts game and it somehow manages to still feel like an actual final fantasy games too, by the conclusion of the ATB elements and all the classic final fantasy spells, this is such a whiplash coming after the terrible and terribly janky FFXV.

The biggest issue with the game is the boring middlepart that has quite a bit of filler that kills the pacing for a while, i was almost ready to write the game off as a disappointment because of that part, but the last third made more than up for it.

The cutscene direction reminded me a lot of Yakuza games and the writing/localization was incredibly good as well.

Now i am REALLY looking forward to FFXVI again if it can hold this level of quality.

Where did the game end? Right after you leave Midgar?

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
That blows, sorry man. How heavy is the lockdown? If going outside is still allowed for 1-2 people, you could ask a friend/relative to let them borrow their PC. That way you could test their GPU to be certain whether that is the cause. Good luck. Broken hardware is a true pain.
Try disconnecting unnecessary parts from your MOBO, extra HDDs, DVD drive, maybe even Ram. I had something like that once and it turned out to be a defective internal DVD drive.
You aren't allowed to have contact with anyone outside your family - or work when you work in a hospital or such.

My gpu seems to be the problem, my pc won't boot as long as it's in one of the PCIe slots. This sucks, I was waiting for the new generation gpu's to order a new one. I guess I'll buy a 1660 Super for now and sell it when I buy a new one.

Anyone knows some good games that run on the internal gpu of a 8700k by the way? 😞

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Anyone knows some good games that run on the internal gpu of a 8700k by the way? 😞
Even if you can't find anything on Steam (and there's a lot of stuff you should be able to run), there's always emulators.
Anything up to PS2 should be doable on iGPU.

Reactions: Ge0force

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Even if you can't find anything on Steam (and there's a lot of stuff you should be able to run), there's always emulators.
Anything up to PS2 should be doable on iGPU.
Thanks m8! I'll also try some 2D stuff like Kentucky Route Zero and some point & click adventures.

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Currently binging a lot of games and the current candidate is the first Gothic. Normally I kinda cool down hard on a game when I play it this way but with Gothic I can't get enough. The character progression is incredibly satisfying and the world is great design

Finished FF7 Remake

OH BOY

You lost me at ATB

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
Could it be the PSU instead? The extra drain from the GPU (even just draw off the mobo) could easily be the difference too. I recently also had to replace a PSU that was causing shutdowns (albeit after sustained GPU load) - fixed the problem immediately.

Makes me wonder how much of the message sending is P2P / client side. Really weird to not have a server check if the messages are delivered by the server.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
You have more control over the battle than usual in FF7R though. Well not so much for the characters you don't control, which is a problem sometimes.
I agree that "wait around for your cooldowns lol" is the worst mechanic of JRPGs. Xenoblade is entirely based on that, that series is miserable to play.

And I think FF7R is "pretty good". Fixes a lot of problem with FF15, lots of good points, even if it suffers from padding issues and STILL annoying combat.
Big ennemies and bosses can get frustrating, especially when they you only have short windows to stagger them. But it does have pretty decent variety at least, and the characters feel nice.

The story changes are... certainly different. Hmm.
Also the game is such a disappointment visually. The cinematics received a lot of money, the larger zones on the other end are really shabby. I dig the art but damn if it isn't plain ugly during exploration, the texture work and the draw distance are just super bleh. Side quests in less relevant areas are such a serious step down, it's almost like a different game.

Reactions: NarohDethan

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I played the FFVII Remake demo on my PS4P and loved it, but I should be pretty easily be able to wait 1 year or whatever is needed for the PC version due to my backlog and that I want a cheat engine table or trainer as a backup in case I wanna remove any form of grind or a battle get's way too difficulty.

I buy all JRPGs on PC as I want cheats if needed. It's somewhat of a "miracle" that I managed to play through all Xenoblade Chronicles games, Persona 5 and KH3 on consoles.

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
P O S T
O P I N I O N S
and you might save a fellow gamer from a bad purchase

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
I am really loving Panzer Corps 2. Certainly my #2 game of the year under Half Life Alyx, so far. I think I still have a lot of the game left - it's really meaty.

I've had experience in TBS of course, but I've tended to prefer small unit tactics, Advance Wars, Disgaea, XCom, or simpler grand strategy - Civilization, Alpha Centarui.

I've struggled to get into some games like Stellaris and the Total War series. I have trouble with estimating economic / military scale in something like Stellaris and I find the large unit tactics of something like Total War series really unappealing.

Some others are interesting but just don't quite fit right, even though I like em - Shadow Tactics,

Now I'm wondering what other turn based strategic styles there are out there. I'm aware of the grand strategy genre but I've never gotten into em.

Like is there any especially realistic (not necessarily in scenarios but in mechanics) WW2 wargame or grand strategy? What about modern day? It doesn't seem like there's really anything like 'the year is 2020, these are the accurate number of aircraft carriers this country has and these are the accurate battlefield dynamics of such a thing...

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Oh, there are so many diff kinds, maybe you wanna check out Unity of Command 2, or Order of Battle (free to try the tutorial and first mission of each DLC campaign) or Command: Modern Operations since you're in a real world kick. For more Fantasy there's Warhammer Armageddon which is Panzer Corps in 40k. I'm not one for strategy games but I've noticed these and a few others for this or that reason. Also, the Steel Division & Command Ops games. Good luck :)

Oh, anything with a sequel is probably worth checking the previous game in the series, if it's got some cool complete edition or people prefer it or find it equal.

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
low-G Hmmm, modern, turn-based, realistic strategy. There's the usual Paradox suspects like Hearts of Iron, Supreme commander and have a look at some of Slitherine's games too.

Tigers on the Hunt is effectively ASL in digital form.
Close Combat series but I'm not sure how accurate they are.
Battle Academy? Very WWII, Turn-based and at least grounded in realism.
Command: Modern Operations is RTS, ugly as sin and DEEEEEEEP. It's expensive so wait for sales as i think they discontinued the old version Command: Modern Air Naval Operations when it released.
Company of Heroes?
Unity of Command series
Order of Battle

Those good places to get you started in your search. Check out Slitherine and Paradox though.

Reactions: MegaApple and low-G

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Does anyone actually like TAA or do we just cope with it? It's like modern FXAA, only slightly better? It's still blurry, has trouble with fast moving edges, and adds ghosting on top of that. Bleh.

DLSS seems more about taking low res things and making them bigger. But I want an AA solution that does the opposite? Downsampling still feels like the king of AA, but the cost to do it, especially at 4K+ is absolute insanity. :face-with-cold-sweat:

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Does anyone actually like TAA or do we just cope with it? It's like modern FXAA, only slightly better? It's still blurry, has trouble with fast moving edges, and adds ghosting on top of that. Bleh.

DLSS seems more about taking low res things and making them bigger. But I want an AA solution that does the opposite? Downsampling still feels like the king of AA, but the cost to do it, especially at 4K+ is absolute insanity. :face-with-cold-sweat:
I don’t mind TAA. But then again my computers have never been good enough to run MSAA

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I don't understand ya'lls issue with it, ATB is literally just a turn based system presented in a slighty differen fashon
I like to take my time. And also get battles with over quickly when ever I have to grind. So ATB is the opposite of what I want from my experience with it.

Also 5 years ago I purchased Xenoblade Chronicles 3D, it was my first time playing Xenoblade Chronicles. The visuals were really bad and less than 2-3 hours in I just wanted to stop playing because of how bad the visuals were. But after playing it some more I was able to power through it because of how much I liked the characters (I also dislike the combat and the quest, the heart to heart stuff was cool but also has it's issues).

I never finished the game because I was sort of close to beating the game but I wanted to do all of the quest and there for never finished the game.

Also I didn't realize that Valve was advertising DotA Underlords on Instagram. I tried to look up the official DotA Underlords Instagram but could not find it. I won't mind if Valve had a Lego CS:GO set.

I keep hearing from some people that they would like PlayStation do also make AAA VR games like what Valve did with Alyx. But will they do that? What other company (Facebook/Oculus??) will end up making another AAA VR game?

And I am continuing playing DQV, good stuff.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Fallout 76's pricing is decent for me, not great but not bad either.

However, for a game that's been consistently discounted for $10 or less, that's still too much. And since it's now on Steam, watch it stuck on 50% at most for unforseeable future. I feel like these exclusive ports suddently get more value after being on Steam.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Well, I might finish Doom Eternal between today and tomorrow and at the same time I'm still playing actively Animal Crossing: NH, it's a very pleasing combination, the brutality of the DoomSlayer with the dictatorial leadership feeling of running your island. Good Stuff this year, seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.