Community MetaSteam | April 2021 - So NieR Yet So FAR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kal1m3r0

MetaMember
Jan 9, 2021
It's kind of sad seeing Scarlet Grace has such a low all-time peak. The game is an excellent RPG and my choice for GOTY 2019. It deserves a whole lot more.
Seconded. It's a shame that Scarlet Grace did so poorly on PC.
I'm reading several comments like this on twitter while the game on Steam has been poorly reviewed. Is there a problem with the porting or just gamerz being ass? I'd like to try a SaGa game, the character design is top notch

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Developers voted Steam as the best digital storefront for games:

Who could have thought that the media's narrative that developers adore EGS is nonsense? 🤔
My coworker who does all the release build and patch packaging/distribution for all platforms frequently and loudly complains about every backend that isn't Steam. (And unlike me he's not at all an enthusiast gamer and has no bias from that perspective)

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I just took a small peek back then but I sure hope the app has a free trial that is not too limited. Because GODDAMN AT THE STEAM PRICE ! :sweaty-blob:
Just had a quick look. Looks like it cost 20 bucks on official site and around 27 bucks on steam in my region.

I will wait for a sale on steam then. Excel should suffice for now!

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Just had a quick look. Looks like it cost 20 bucks on official site and around 27 bucks on steam in my region.

I will wait for a sale on steam then. Excel should suffice for now!
Yeah you can freely download the app from the official site but there is no explanation about limited functionalities :thinking-face:

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I'm reading several comments like this on twitter while the game on Steam has been poorly reviewed. Is there a problem with the porting or just gamerz being ass?
While the port itself is mostly competent; great localisation, no obnoxious mobile UI, a wide range of resolution support and unlocked framerate -- Scarlet Grace didn't have the chance to build up momentum since Disco Elysium was released shortly after to critical acclaim. Combined with the fact that the game has a steep learning curve for new players, and it didn't have a contemporary "anime" look, it kind of a hard sell to new players.

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
I'm reading several comments like this on twitter while the game on Steam has been poorly reviewed. Is there a problem with the porting or just gamerz being ass? I'd like to try a SaGa game, the character design is top notch
Have only played a few hours of Scarlet Grace because I got distracted with something else but from what I have seen it is mostly gamerz being ass. Some of the production values are a bit not up to snuff for some people. You don't really walk through towns or dungeons in a 2D or 3D environment. You mostly interact with images on a map which trigger combat and/or dialogue sequences. Some people expect more when a game is released by Square Enix.

I liked what I played of it even if I would need to consult a guide. Would recommend from my limited time with it.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Interesting, interesting. Saga Frontier Remastered and Scarlet Graces are equally tempting.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Blu

MetaMember
Mar 12, 2019
For anyone who cares, the original Shadow Man is delisted but you can still grab copies on GMG, Fanatical, and GamersGate.

Don't believe you get a discount for the remaster so just for collecting purposes.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Twitter replies are a bit salty.
Oh I see it's about the greedy Valve monopoly again. 🙄

I'm all for Valve lowering their cut for small developers. But Valve hasn't showed monopolistic behavior so far. On the contrary, they are the only storefront charging a 0% cut for game keys. Even EGS charges 12% now for games sold on Humble, GoG or GreenManGaming since they replaced the keys with a keyless account link system.

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Even though the new issue was out yesterday i managed to get a copy of White Dwarf 462 from the newsagent for £6 which got me a bunch of Games Workshop games i didn't have. I had to ask as they had taken it off the shelves but they had it out the back ready to return or whatever they do. Result.

Gladius, Chaos and Conquest, Warhammer Online, Warhammer Quest, Warhammer Quest - End Times, Space Wolf, Vermintide II, Sanctus Reach, Total Warhammer and Armageddon: Da Orks (Which i have on GOG) and Space Marine.

It was a single key for the pack or i would have given away a couple of dupe keys.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I should really look into Reshade for stuff like scanlines. I have been assaulted by both weeb and retro urges lately :sweaty-blob:
If Nier wasn't on the horizon I may have finally started my FF7 beacause replay.

Reactions: Cacher
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
What's more monopolistic?

A) Charging rate that allows you to make (at least) healthy profits
B) Charging rate so low, that while it allows you make healthy profits, it makes much harder for competitors to enter market.
A of course, duuuuh :p

• Toucan
Reactions: Gintaro

Gintaro

MetaMember
Feb 20, 2021
Malaysia
Oh I see it's about the greedy Valve monopoly again. 🙄

I'm all for Valve lowering their cut for small developers. But Valve hasn't showed monopolistic behavior so far. On the contrary, they are the only storefront charging a 0% cut for game keys. Even EGS charges 12% now for games sold on Humble, GoG or GreenManGaming since they replaced the keys with a keyless account link system.
Oh wow, I didn't know that EGS charges for the keyless system. Didn't Tim mentioned that they took no cut for third party stores?

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I should really look into Reshade for stuff like scanlines. I have been assaulted by both weeb and retro urges lately :sweaty-blob:
If Nier wasn't on the horizon I may have finally started my FF7 beacause replay.
Reshade is easy to install but knowing you it'll be a new kind of fresh hell for settings if you don't find a preset you like.
Luckily enough there's TONS of them though i only ever used some of the FFXIV specific Reshade packages out there. MoogleShade or EspressoLalafell i think.
Also depending on the game and the presets you use it will make your performance take a dump if you're not careful but for retro games, i doubt that'll be an issue.

Search for Game Name Reshade to see what is available for that game, there's even optimised packages for some games like i said about FFXIV.

Reactions: Li Kao

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
For anyone who cares, the original Shadow Man is delisted but you can still grab copies on GMG, Fanatical, and GamersGate.
I was thinking "Oh I should get it then!" but then remembered to check my library...and of course I already own it. ;)

~

I'm still on The Outer World, and the DLC "Murder on Eridanos" has you investigate, unsurprisingly, a murder. And when you go investigate evidence, the game will sometimes give you the option to "taste" whatever the evidence is. Blood, dirt, whatever. So, naturally, I chose that option every time, and my companions got increasingly freaked out by that, it was great.

I also started another playthrough (despite not being done with my "main" one), where I decided to just kill every NPC, and the game gets clever with still getting you quests.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
My coworker who does all the release build and patch packaging/distribution for all platforms frequently and loudly complains about every backend that isn't Steam. (And unlike me he's not at all an enthusiast gamer and has no bias from that perspective)
Shouldn't Epic Store be the best one because it is done by Epic not developers XD

And i finally cleaned my keyboard after some time, it as gross XD

• Eyes
Reactions: xxr and lashman

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Reshade is easy to install but knowing you it'll be a new kind of fresh hell for settings if you don't find a preset you like.
Luckily enough there's TONS of them though i only ever used some of the FFXIV specific Reshade packages out there. MoogleShade or EspressoLalafell i think.
Also depending on the game and the presets you use it will make your performance take a dump if you're not careful but for retro games, i doubt that'll be an issue.

Search for Game Name Reshade to see what is available for that game, there's even optimised packages for some games like i said about FFXIV.
Oh I 'just' want scanlines, something like CRT-easymode. No funky color change or anything.

Knowing you...
Should I resent ? :so-good-blob:
Knowing you...
FFS, he is right :cryblob:

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Oh I 'just' want scanlines, something like CRT-easymode. No funky color change or anything.

Knowing you...
Should I resent ? :so-good-blob:
Knowing you...
FFS, he is right :cryblob:
Nah, just have a search for Reshade and whatever game or emulator you're using. There's usually a drop-in shader pack of presets you just drop-in to Reshade and you're good to go.

• Hug
Reactions: Li Kao

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
What's more monopolistic?

A) Charging rate that allows you to make (at least) healthy profits
B) Charging rate so low, that while it allows you make healthy profits, it makes much harder for competitors to enter market.
If you look at actual monopolistic practices independent of market share then the picture is actually quite one-sided.
  • Epic buys third-party (timed) exclusives, Valve doesn't. This one is simple.
  • Epic bundles the product where they are actually a dominant market force (their engine) with their distribution business by making it free to use only when you use their store. All middleware Valve offers (i.e. audio, networking etc.) has the same conditions regardless of which distribution mechanism you use.
  • Epic uses profits from other ventures to finance their store as a huge loss-leader, in the hope of cashing in once they have established themselves.
    (This is where you are a bit off IMHO -- there's no evidence that Epic's current loss-leader model even allows them to finance the store, never mind new competitors to enter the market)

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
From the court files e know that 12% is enough if they exclude fixed costs like salaries for developers. And that is the issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
I just want to chime in and say
Iron Keep is BS
L. Bastille was BS but not as much as Iron Keep
Harvest Valley was BS and possibly as much as Iron Keep
but Iron Keep takes the crown of BS

HOW
ARE
YOU
ALL
AGGRO-ING
ME
FROM
AN
ENTIRE
LAVA
POOL
AWAY
HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!?!?!?!?!

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
Iron Keep is BS

HOW
ARE
YOU
ALL
AGGRO-ING
ME
FROM
AN
ENTIRE
LAVA
POOL
AWAY
Alonne Knights are called that because they are lonely and will run towards any potential friend they see

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
Iron Keep is BS

HOW
ARE
YOU
ALL
AGGRO-ING
ME
FROM
AN
ENTIRE
LAVA
POOL
AWAY

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
If you look at actual monopolistic practices independent of market share then the picture is actually quite one-sided.
  • Epic buys third-party (timed) exclusives, Valve doesn't. This one is simple.
  • Epic bundles the product where they are actually a dominant market force (their engine) with their distribution business by making it free to use only when you use their store. All middleware Valve offers (i.e. audio, networking etc.) has the same conditions regardless of which distribution mechanism you use.
  • Epic uses profits from other ventures to finance their store as a huge loss-leader, in the hope of cashing in once they have established themselves.
    (This is where you are a bit off IMHO -- there's no evidence that Epic's current loss-leader model even allows them to finance the store, never mind new competitors to enter the market)
Aren't you tired of writing things so correctly and on-point? :cat-heart-blob:

Early comparison from trailers. Basically, almost no real difference besides PC having more contrast or PS5 being more washed out.

that's GOOOOD!!! :blobeyes:

I mean, when something works... :evilblob:

Mor just got an erection
TENGO EL CULO QUE ME EXPLOTA DE HYPE! :dualbladesblob::dualbladesblob::dualbladesblob:

FeedMeAStrayCat

When you see me again, it won't be me.
Sep 19, 2018
Pennsylvania
Okay, so two things: I do actually want this bundle quite a bit! All of the top tier games are on my wishlist.
However... Humble has been disabling sliders for many (most?) people it seems. So I can no longer give the vast majority to charity anymore, which was a huge incentive when buying bundles through Humble. The page still has the old text about choosing where your money goes, but the sliders to control that are now gone for many (like myself). This is some bullshit right here. Sigh.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
I think we have a few ccg players here. If I want to retry the genre, Runeterra or MTG ? Or Shadowverse ? Maybe Teppen ?
Too many games :sweaty-blob:
I play a good amount of Magic the Gathering Arena. The game is fun and you can play it without paying but expect to get ROLLED for a while as you build up a collection.

I can't in good conscience recommend it to other people unless you're willing to spend money though. The game is fun, but the pricing is predatory. I have a nostalgic love for the game as it reminds me of my grade school days playing Magic against friends at school.

Haven't played Runeterra or Shadowverse though I've heard lots of good things about the latter. Hearthstone is also decently fun with lots of stuff available for free.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Li Kao

Kal1m3r0

MetaMember
Jan 9, 2021
Iron Keep is BS

HOW
ARE
YOU
ALL
AGGRO-ING
ME
FROM
AN
ENTIRE
LAVA
POOL
AWAY
I assume you are playing Scholar of the first Sin and not vanilla DS2

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Twitter replies are a bit salty.

I was curious about what some of the replies said.

I know that one of the devs said that they had a very bad experience and didn't even make any money and that Steam took 90% of the money (which doesn't make sense?) I guess that their game didn't sell well enough that the $100USD entry fee was not refunded to them since their game didn't sell well enough (is that $100 fee refunded If your game sell well enough?)

Sure there are other fees and stuff but the numbers just felt off, they also didn't mention stuff like how many copies they sold and the revenue that they made type of stuff (you know like how other indie devs will sometimes do a whole break down of stuff like wishlist, says per region, the amount of refunds that they got, and impression on Steam that their game got)

Is this one of those situations were the artists fail to recognize that video games Is a business and just like real life business that something like a 50% failure rate within a 5 year period (20% in the first year alone). Game development can take years so by the time that their game is ready to be released (since they may be doing it in their spare time/on a shoe string budget) and it doesn't sell well then they likely have run out of money to keep on making games.

Itch.io is nice and it even let's devs give steam keys and stuff but realistically there are not as many people that use it or have even heard about it or that some of their audience may never be reached that way.

Steam has both it's good and bad and some of that includes the games that it sells, since it sells games for just about anyone (even though some of those games are morally questionable, which is an issue that people have with Steam)

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
GIB sure is something else. They have an opinion article that they are pushing very hard and it's something else.

The only "fair" comparison that they made was with MS and Xbox and how it spent millions trying to enter the console market. The reason I say similar is because it had third party exclusives that it likely paid for.

But the huge difference is the cultural impact the Xbox had. Before it was the PC and console Market but the Xbox made is so that PC games could be on consoles now. Even Japanese devs/media at the time remember this, from articles that I have read.

I guess in 2027 we will see just how much BS Tim S was full of

That is all and I will be moving on to a different topic now

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
On Steam & EGS there are quite surprising small differences in terms, that might negatively affect small developers.

Valve pays during next month. Sell in January? Get paid by end of February.

Epic pays 45 days after end of month after transaction. Sell in January? Get paid around 15th April

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
QFNS I suppose there is no way of gaining free cards in MTG after the initial unlocks ? I'm not opposed to paying for boosters, as its the origin of the game, but it's true that I would vastly prefer some free stuff too.
No, I'm not stating the obvious, I mean the feeling of progression, of unlocking stuff :tightly-closed-eyes:

Kal1m3r0

MetaMember
Jan 9, 2021
Yeah the aggro is fucked up there, it's an intended feature they added in SotFS and it sucks. There was even a particular bonfire in Lost Bastille where you can get spawn killed because of that[UWSL]:poop:[/UWSL]

Status
Not open for further replies.