Community MetaSteam | April 2021 - So NieR Yet So FAR

Status
Not open for further replies.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
absoliutey loving shadowman so far andf the new lighting and shadow system is amazing

Been playing it as well and it's a joy to look at. Really love the work Nightdive did to modernize it. It's like it evokes how I remember some of these older games looking rather than what they look like in actuality.

The only mark against the remaster that I've come across is the menus being kind of janky. Other than that it's modern lo-fi bliss.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
More historical lows (some might be duplicated from my previous post):

As I said previously there are more historical lows as I can see but I can't really keep posting every new historical low I see as I get exhausted since I have to do the process manually.
What you did is immensely appreciated! You have no need to do a single bit more than you are comfortable with and I think I speak for all of us when I say that we're thankful :).

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
10 days until Snowrunner exclusivity is up. I really hope it doesn't become a full exclusive meaning I have to buy it on EGS. What gives me hope is that it's Focus Home that is the publisher as it is not self-published by Saber-
You don't HAVE to buy it on EGS 😜

Reactions: TheTrain

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
You don't HAVE to buy it on EGS 😜
Well I would like my play time tracked and saves stored in the cloud.

Anyways, I wrote wrong, I forgot I own it on EGS via review code.

That's a big problem with EGS, I rarely ever open it so I forget what I have on it.

I prefer to play it via Steam so I have yet to play it there.

Reactions: Ge0force

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Yesterday I finished Ys V. So short a game that I started Ys VI.
Then after diner I started The Worlds Ends with You DS on a whim (mostly hate playing for the time being).
I'm waiting for Bro Nier at the end of the week.

And I still must resist the urge to buy Saga Frontier Remake :sweaty-blob:

-

Ys VI
Didn't look too hot in screenshots, but it's not bad looking at all in reality. At 1440p it's pleasing. And it's a return to the GOAT solo Ys with great bosses formula. Give it to me :blobdrool:

TWEWY
I realized I always dropped the shit out of it at the end of the horribly long and talkative tutorial. Still not sure what to think of it. It looks super rich when they introduce all the systems, the brands etc, but at the same time the FAQ I glanced over was relatively short.
I still hate the combat system, though I can see myself appreciating it better with more hours under my belt.
The constant and unending dialogs are difficult to suffer through too, and that's coming from someone who generally put a high emphasis on plot, even in genres which gains nothing to have one.
Yeah, this will be fun :so-good-blob:

Last edited:

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
Such is my luck that I was following a very insightful Pathfinder: Kingsmaker guide when I realized I reached a point in which the guide ends abruptly. This means, the author plans to keep working on the guide for future chapters but that makes me feel to drop the game as I dont think I can follow the game on my own.

For those curious about Pathfinder: Kingsmaker, well the game is great but is complex, punishing and sometimes confusing, even for veterans of the RPG genre. The Kingdom management part is probably my biggest nightmare and the game is long enough to not want to gamble moving forward.

This creates a unique opportunity though as I like so much the game that I might want to get two of the extra DLCs available and restart my playthrough with another guide. Also, I played as it was original developed in RTwP but I have been wondering if turn-based mode is optimal.

I'm open to suggestions regarding turn-based mode. I don't know if it will work due to the nature of this game and how it was developed in mind based on a different combat style approach.

---

Fanatical F1 RACE STARS Complete Edition -98% - €0.59

Reason: Added deal
Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I'm kind of disappointed they didn't go all the way with improving the Shadow Man controls (if optionally for purists) with things like vertical mouselook (or right stick), manual aiming, offset camera etc. (outside the immobile camera turn/snipe modes). The existing improvements already make it much better than it used to be though (btw in shallows the turning while strafing doesn't work, I guess it's an oversight or a bug as that addition works fine when on normal terrain, there's also no water fog or any surface effect if you get the camera that low in such shallows, it just looks like there's no water/blood/whatever at all there).

Last edited:

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019
Hey everyone! I'm just about to go live over on Twitch for the charity stream I mentioned in my giveaway thread. Feel free to stop by and say hi sometime if you'd like! :blobhug:

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread or react to this post in order to see this content.

thistestnow

*doom noises*
Feb 16, 2021
Playing Titanfall 2 recently since one my friends picked it up.
This game still crushes all other MP shooters. God damn i love being F A S T.

• This!
Reactions: PhaZZe

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Do we have first impressions about Nier Replicant's port? I'm still unsure if I should pick it up for PC or for Xbox given Squeenix shenanigans.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
The best part of VII Remake are the parts I remember from the original game. Otherwise it's......eh. And I've gotten quite bored by the combat so now Im bascially just playing it for the story, some of the nice graphics and music. Basically every time Cloud take out his sword (warning that enemies are coming) Im basically going "goddammit not again" which is not a good feeling, the combat was fun the first few hours, but not particularly anymore. Too much goddamn fillers and segments just dragging on. Like there are segments in the original game that lasted just a few min that lasts for a whole chapter (1h+) in the Remake. I think if the game was cut a bunch of hours shorter it would be a much better game.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
absoliutey loving shadowman so far andf the new lighting and shadow system is amazing

Noooo stop making me want to play it :fearful-face:
Not right when Saga Frontier and Nier are here :disappointed-but-relieved-face:
And I want to buy Isaac Repentance and spend 500 more hours into it :imp:

But I don't have the money for any of them anyway :cold-sweat:

The best part of VII Remake are the parts I remember from the original game. Otherwise it's......eh. And I've gotten quite bored by the combat so now Im bascially just playing it for the story, some of the nice graphics and music. Basically every time Cloud take out his sword (warning that enemies are coming) Im basically going "goddammit not again" which is not a good feeling, the combat was fun the first few hours, but not particularly anymore. Too much goddamn fillers and segments just dragging on. Like there are segments in the original game that lasted just a few min that lasts for a whole chapter (1h+) in the Remake. I think if the game was cut a bunch of hours shorter it would be a much better game.
Yeah, FF7R is an excellent 15h game.
But stretched to thrice that just to be sure that the combat will end up boring and the level design uniformly bad.

I really think they made a great game, and had to cut everything off to release "in time"so they just added as much filler as possible.
Ironically, I think Final Fantasy 7 Remake now needs more of a remake fixing all the issues than the original did... maybe in the complete package, one day.

Last edited:

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I'm not really surprised, this game seemed to be really riding the nostalgia train. On top of that, it's Square.

Reactions: Prodigy

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
It was a dream remake for me even with the filler. This was cemented by going back and watching max's playthrough of it last month and reliving all the great moments it has and the feeling the game gave me when I played it was still there even just through watching it.

My theory on the filler was CC2 botching over 2 years of development and when SE took over they had to decide how to salvage it. The game after SE took over was basically done in about 2 to 2.5 years. Making the choice to limit it to midgar only meant desperately trying to find a way to expand it to justify $60. We can all agree a game being 25 hours is better than a 40 hour one with filler, but sadly the mass market would disagree with that where endless bloat is basically demanded for $60 games.

I don't expect filler to be an issue in the next games since there's so much ground to cover and we'll be heading out into the world.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I'm not really surprised, this game seemed to be really riding the nostalgia train. On top of that, it's Square.
Also the story so far (chapter 13/18) is not told all that well imo, especially regarding Sepiroth, so for people who have never played original game will be quite confused. There are some characters that are more fledged out in the Remake which I like so that's a good thing at least.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Also the story so far (chapter 13/18) is not told all that well imo, especially regarding Sepiroth, so for people who have never played original game will be quite confused. There are some characters that are more fledged out in the Remake which I like so that's a good thing at least.
Give it time, it may not even make sense at the end as I agree it's not told the best but things made sense when I watched a spoiler discussion on it afterwards. It's meant to sort of tease some things and have you learn some new things when you go through the game again on Hard mode/new game+. There are details I missed completely on my first run that with the context of the rest of the game in mind made more sense the 2nd time.

To be fair one shouldn't have to do all that to get a complete sense of the story. But as a fan of the game I ended up liking it and being excited for the future (also a bit nervous as well. You never know how things can go with SE)

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Give it time, it may not even make sense at the end as I agree it's not told the best but things made sense when I watched a spoiler discussion on it afterwards. It's meant to sort of tease some things and have you learn some new things when you go through the game again on Hard mode/new game+. There are details I missed completely on my first run that with the context of the rest of the game in mind made more sense the 2nd time.

To be fair one shouldn't have to do all that to get a complete sense of the story. But as a fan of the game I ended up liking it and being excited for the future (also a bit nervous as well. You never know how things can go with SE)
is she truly dead?

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019
How was it?
that's not a good question to ask me because I'm easy to please provided I'm in the mood for what the game is/offers, in fact I can enjoy pretty much everything as long as, again, I'm in the mood for it

FFXIII: it was ok, it get criticized a lot because of levels are linear (corridor simulator) and is basically designed to be played with the AI auto-battling as you micromanage/swap roles during battle (healer/tank/dps/debuffer/buffer) but as someone who wanted something simple it was fine, also I LIKE games with auto battle, every game turn based game should have it in some form imho
You don't really understand everything that's going on unless you read the datalog at the beginnigm, kinda messy.

FFXIII-2: it's marred by bad performance and crashing issues unless you patch it with community fixes, personally I just patched away the crashing issues myself since I'm extremely tolerant of persomance problems as long as the game doesn't crash every hour.
That said I thought it was more enjoyable than the first game, it's non-linear and has the same combat system of the first game, the main characters were ok and the non-linear approach is interesting. Some ending parts are a bit convoluted.

Lightning Returns: the combat system changes for the worse imo and the whole lore stuff is needlessly convoluted towards the end, the time limit is a pain and I blocked it with cheat engine because it was lame as hell and I hate time limits in my games.
It was easy enough that I could cruise along so it was ok. I thought it was interesting that the quests have mini-stories and some are connected with each other, all the stories seem to reveal a bit more about what's going on, they add a bit of background to the main story.

I can enjoy them but I wouldn't suggest to someone else, it feels like they didn't flesh out some parts of the lore/stories, or they had some ideas but could have been done/explained better.

The whole Chaos lore-thing feels like it's a gimmick they decided to use but couldn't integrate well in the story

Last edited:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
To be fair, I don't think the original FF7 was super great about Sephiroth either. Wasn't better fleshed out until much later into the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.