Community MetaSteam | April 2021 - So NieR Yet So FAR

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Wow...that is a awful take. I understand discussing the particulars of using AI for voice work, but to start off throwing all modding into the bin is just silly.

Heck, a lot of genres and games have been born from modding. That is to say nothing of games made more playable like Nier.

Folks who wholly defend intellectual property laws would soon have kept humanity in the stone age using their logic of blocking folks from creating iterations off other folks work.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018

Bethesda : exist
I think this works for Geralt because of how low-key the performance is. If it was something that needed more acting range, the AI version would probably sound overly stiff and unnatural.
Not sure how it "cheapens" the IP, or lowers interest of people in the IP, or just generally hurts anyone. IT's not like a small modding team could afford to actually hire VA.

Also, why do we care about what some random guy on Twitter thinks?

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
New historical lowest price for:

----

Days Gone - 10% - ~€37.40

It might be the cheapest authorized third party store to sell the game.

----

General – PC

• Support for 32-bit operating systems has been deprecated
Content – PC

• PC versions of L.A. Noire now include all previously released DLC, including:
    • The Broderick Detective Suit
    • The Sharpshooter Detective Suit
    • The Badge Pursuit Challenge & Button Man Suit
    • “The Naked City" Vice Case
    • "A Slip of the Tongue" Traffic Case
    • "Nicholson Electroplating" Arson Case
    • "Reefer Madness" Vice Case
    • “The Consul’s Car” Traffic Case

Reason: Added Days Gone Gamesplanet US + L.A Noire update
Last edited:

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019

Pardon the wall of media but I just noticed that Brigador: Up Armored is at its historic low.

It's a criminally overlooked game that was made with the kind of TLC one rarely sees. The package just feels so complete from top to bottom. The look, the feel, the sounds, the vibe. All the way down to the metric ton of codex lore lovingly assembled for a genre that has absolutely no expectation or call for it.

Absolutely killer package.

Spring a couple extra bucks for the Deluxe Edition that includes OST by Makeup & Vanity Set: 2 LPs, 2 EPs & an audiobook. 40+ tracks of hyper-fat synthwave beats.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Actual agreement isn't even in leak (file is there but is 0 bytes).
Japanese version of meeting notes talks about PC delay, but doesn't say it's because of Sony.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread or react to this post in order to see this content.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
That's the most idiotic viewpoint I've seen this week. The idea that creating derivative work will put companies out of business is behind the repeated extensions to the single most harmful legislation to creativity : copyright.

On a more personal note, saying "how dare modders create work extending the game for free!" by equating AI voice to professional VA talent is ignorant and a pretty big vote of no confidence in the talent of people working at games studios. I don't know, railing against content mods feels a little "how dare you be this good and not sell it" which is hysterically capitalist or something.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Yet that reddit post is more believable than the tweet, since the announcement of the PC version was on the same day as the consoles versions, it wasn't pushed back at all.
Not talking about if it's more or less reliable than the reddit post, just that it is ironic that they call that twitter account random (it is, don't get me wrong here) while posting with a completely unknown user from reddit (which is, random hehe)

Tried to make this point and not talk about the information per say.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Not talking about if it's more or less reliable than the reddit post, just that it is ironic that they call that twitter account random (it is, don't get me wrong here) while posting with a completely unknown user from reddit (which is, random hehe)

Tried to make this point and not talk about the information per say.
The reddit post may be from an unverified account as well, but it doesn't make him wrong that people believed a random tweet from unknown sources just because it fits their agenda.

Reactions: xinek

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
The reddit post may be from an unverified account as well, but it doesn't make him wrong that people believed a random tweet from unknown sources just because it fits their agenda.
Guilty as charged, though I retracted quickly. That being said, Sony being asshats about 3rd-party exclusivity and paying to delay multiplat content from competing platforms is historically a thing. This to me felt like another instance of something the gaming community is growing increasingly fed up with.

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
once again, my point was because I thought it was FUNNY AND IRONIC :crying-face:

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
once again, my point was because I thought it was FUNNY AND IRONIC :crying-face:
Sorry. I just don't like misinformation, so I kinda took issue with the responses here at someone that was trying to stop misinformation.

(Not that I'm not guilty of falling on minformation from unknown sources, I believed the posts about the Win10 version of NieR Automata being stutter free without proof of that, and in the end it turned out to not be true...).

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Sorry. I just don't like misinformation, so I kinda took issue with the responses here at someone that was trying to stop misinformation.

(Not that I'm not guilty of falling on minformation from unknown sources, I believed the posts about the Win10 version of NieR Automata being stutter free without proof of that, and in the end it turned out to not be true...).
It's ok, I don't like misinformation neither :cat-heart-blob:

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
There is no denying the great benefits of mods to video games over the decades.
...but the AI that can replicate voices is very concerning to imo.
The Crate and Crowbar podcast had an interesting discussion about this subject on the latest episode. Among others, they talked about the possibility of game companies using tech like this to fix small issues in VO or fill in gaps without having to get the VA into a studio again after the general sessions are finished already. What came to mind for me was that in such a situation the lines that are "generated" aren't marked as such, so if they're dodgy on occasion that could reflect poorly on the VA because people don't know which is which. Weird times we live in! Then there's more fundamental labor rights issues around compensation, etc.

Reactions: lashman

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Just caught up on the whole Monster Hunter drama.
A lot of people need to take a deep breath. Why go on a tirade over unsubstantiated rumors instead of waiting for more trustworthy information? The internet already has more than enough drama.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
There is no denying the great benefits of mods to video games over the decades.
...but the AI that can replicate voices is very concerning to imo.
Not that much actually. To replicate someone's voice would be akin to using their likeness without authorization. We're not talking Geralt but Doug Cockle, and that's illegal.

Jav

Question everything, learn nothing
Sep 17, 2019
So my credit card expires in a couple of months but Humble Bundle is already rejecting it (it already happened when my previous card was about to expire some years ago)

I contacted support and their answer was like tough luck buddy, so it seems no bundles for me for some time :jj_mofo:

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Not that much actually. To replicate someone's voice would be akin to using their likeness without authorization. We're not talking Geralt but Doug Cockle, and that's illegal.
I think for mods that’s just fine. I actually think it will be good in the long run that it will be easy with deep fakes and such for hobby production and learning. The expectation on quality in all faussets of society goes up and the easier it is to do the base line the better.

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
So my credit card expires in a couple of months but Humble Bundle is already rejecting it (it already happened when my previous card was about to expire some years ago)

I contacted support and their answer was like tough luck buddy, so it seems no bundles for me for some time :jj_mofo:
good luck with that, my replacement card took almost a month to come due to bank weirdness, so patience, I guess :crying-face:

• Sad
Reactions: Tomasety

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
The Crate and Crowbar podcast had an interesting discussion about this subject on the latest episode. Among others, they talked about the possibility of game companies using tech like this to fix small issues in VO or fill in gaps without having to get the VA into a studio again after the general sessions are finished already. What came to mind for me was that in such a situation the lines that are "generated" aren't marked as such, so if they're dodgy on occasion that could reflect poorly on the VA because people don't know which is which. Weird times we live in! Then there's more fundamental labor rights issues around compensation, etc.
There should be a solution to that if they want to protect the voice actors. Make it so in the contract that their voice is valued higher if the studio/publisher were to reuse it with AI to expand and/or fix the voices in the game. If they breach it then there'll be a settlement to pay.

Modding should be free as it is though, as they're not monetized.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Just caught up on the whole Monster Hunter drama.
A lot of people need to take a deep breath. Why go on a tirade over unsubstantiated rumors instead of waiting for more trustworthy information? The internet already has more than enough drama.
People are conditioned to gravitate towards snort, sharp snippets of news they can create drama out of or get enraged by so they get their dopamine hit.
We're addicted to the rush from over-reacting to social media and for most people there's pretty much nothing that can be done to reverse this.

It sucks and i find myself falling for it too until i remember that it benefits nobody, makes me feel stressed in the long-run and the best thing to do is to take a step back and disengage. I've found apathy and being a spectator to the swirling mob much more amusing and better for my mental health. Join us in the cheap seats, we have popcorn and laughs.

edit: now i need to go and have a read of the MonHun drama when i get back from KFC with my snack-box. Good times.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Hmm. Hope these guys have more than the obviously talented modeler doing these if it's to get anywhere. Still cool to see the models updated in good taste.

Reactions: lashman

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Meanwhile at GMG...
I'm not really complaining, I know how fucking futile it is to moan because you don't have your key yet.

But... I'm still complaining... a little.

• Hug
Reactions: Ge0force

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
This is kinda stupid as I posted there to not pollute the thread, but I would appreciate to be read if you have some minutes.

I mean, what's the point of ranting if no one hears it ? Did I even rant or is it like the tree in the forest or that fucking cat in a box :thinking-face:

Trigger warning - talks of mayonnaise.

• Toucan
Reactions: Stone Ocean
Status
Not open for further replies.