Community MetaSteam | April 2021 - So NieR Yet So FAR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I must give back my gamer card here. I’m afraid that I just don’t get gsync, or hdr for that matter. I suppose I need a point of reference when all I can obviously get is one version running at a time.
Do what I play feels good to play, or is the IQ to my liking or not, that I can get. But I lack the expertise to imagine what it would feel like in another setting, so to speak.
I should maybe try to play a locked 30fps game.
There's two things to consider: higher framerates and variable framerate.

You didn't mention higher framerate, so I assume you know how much more fluid 144 FPS can be over 60.
The next problem is hitting the framerate of your monitor constantly. Even with vsync, you will have cases in games where you can't hit that. You will experience stutter. Maybe you are so used to this that you don't notice it, but it's there. Variable refresh rate allows you to just fix this. When I'm playing game, say Horizon, it can go from 80 to 90 FPS, and I don't see the game stutter, it just updates the screen a bit faster. If the game wildly fluctuates from say 30 to 120 (to give an extreme example) it will still look and feel very jarring, but for the more gradual variation you experience in games, it will just be imperceptible.

Reactions: Tomasety

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Heavily considering getting Railway Empire or whatever it's called. Had fun with it on EGS (free), but can't really bother to open EGS these days even for free games or review copies.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Mivey Unfortunately I don’t really notice differences in fps (if it is stable that is), so 60 or 144 is not that apparent to me. 30 fps I don’t know, maybe ? I think like I said I really need some on and off on the same screen, or as you could put it, you really have to put my nose in it for me to notice.
Hades was super fluid when it didn’t slowdown for no reason, but would it have been that less fluid at 60, I don’t have that reference.
That being said, on the other hand, my first 144hz monitor was gsync, so maybe there are really unsavory things happening when you play a game locked at 60 on an higher framerate monitor.

I think I should look for one of those site that shows the difference between fps. This is becoming vexing. I’m 42, not 92 :loudly-crying-face:

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
Unfortunately I don’t really notice difference in fps, so 60 or 144 is not that apparent to me. 30 fps I don’t know, maybe ? I think like I said I really need some on and off on the same screen, or as you could put it, you really have to put my nose in it for me to notice.
That being said, on the other hand, my first 144hz monitor was gsync, so maybe there are really unsavory things happening when you play a game locked at 60 on an higher framerate monitor.

I think I should look for one of those site that show the difference between fps. This is becoming vexing. I’m 42, not 92 :loudly-crying-face:

• Love
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Li Kao

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I will test the second link on my monitor tomorrow, this is nice.
My point was that I fear that if you get the other bars off, I would maybe not feel that bad. Though, one thing, I’m talking about my lack of expertise perception whatever regarding fluidity, but motion clarity is another. The 15 fps example is horrible. 30 not too hot either.
I’m on a dumb ipad, it will be interesting on the monitor.

Reactions: Stevey

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Btw, the flickering I see when running say 30fps content on my 144Hz VRR monitor (Gsync Compatible, not the full NV deal), is there a way to solve it without disabling VRR (or is it even not caused by that and I'm just assuming)? Why can't it like, on its own, realize it's below its VRR threshold or whatever and bump itself to doubling to 60hz or whatever is needed rather than wait for the GPU to update? I just cba to configure that stuff per app/game so I've just set VRR for both fullscreen and windowed and left it at that but the flicker low fps stuff get is annoying. I mostly see it when emulating low fps games.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Mivey Unfortunately I don’t really notice differences in fps (if it is stable that is), so 60 or 144 is not that apparent to me.
Well, I guess everyone is different. I notice above 100+ FPS in games very clearly, it's a level of reactivity that is very unique. Can be almost distracting (in a good way, if that makes sense). 60 is really good, but ultimately, if my hardware allows me to push higher temporal resolutions, then why shouldn't I make use of that? That's the beauty of VRR for me.

• Love
Reactions: Li Kao

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Wow, I thought I can't see 144hz diff to ~60 but this... It's a huge blur at 72fps compared to 144hz (it seems numbers will differ by your own monitor, I guess it goes between max and half hz). I honestly never notice it in games, I don't see more fluid motion or anything but that blur, yikes. But even with this, I can't really see a difference in say choppy movement on the bottom part, just the blur of it. I'm like those noobs who can't see the diff in 30/60 fps but for double that x_x

Reactions: Stevey

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
That is the great thing about Freesync. I'm sure its the same with Gsync tho I never had a monitor with it.

You don't have to stabilize your framerate. It does it for you in the most efficient way because the monitor hz automatically follows your gpu game peformance. This way a choppy 45hz is better than locked 30fps. And the higher you go its even more important and smooth. For example playing Cyberpunk or RDR2 at 90fps...and then all of a sudden frames drop to the low 40s. And they do a lot in those games. With Freesync you don't notice that shit unless you watch your data because the monitor goes along with it. Before Gsync/Freesync you have produced tearing + slow down. Its jarring at both high and low fps.

Reactions: C-Dub and Swenhir

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
When you can't even sell your own product that well on PC but still are convincing other developers that you can sell theirs.

PC is very low but not surprising. There is too much competition on PC.

CSGO
Valorant
DOTA
League
WoW

All those games are massive and not available on console. CSGO doing 1 million concurrent every day alone makes it bigger than Fortnite on EGS (probably).

On PSN the only competition Epic has is Apex and Warzone. And Fortnite came out long before both of those. Its very established.

I bet if they put Fortnite on Steam it would almost double their PC earnings.

Also these numbers further explain why they don't give a shit about improving EGS. Its easier to dump the game on PSN and collect so much more money. Meanwhile EGS literally exists to bleed money heh. The game runs on any toaster too so Epic has only themselves to blame for not making more $$$ on PC. They should maybe start listening to PC gamers and their complaints.

fearthedawn

Apr 19, 2019
With all this talk about and praise for VRR i feel like the weird one now. A couple months ago i switched from using VRR as my default setting to backlight strobing on by default and i'm only switching back to VRR if it's really bad otherwise. As long as the game sticks to 60fps or stays in the 60fps+ range i usually rather limit to stable fps than use VRR, the better motion clarity is just worth it to me.

Might be a quirk of my panel where the difference is bigger than normal... anyway, i want my next monitor to have both working together.

Reactions: Swenhir

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
So I've been super curious as to why some games that are on Steam and on Mac don't sell the Mac version on Steam. When it comes to M1 optimised games it does seem little more complicated than just putting it on Steam. Here something someone Steam forums brought up from an interview.

"Worth pointing out that the holdup here mainly centers around third parties: no native Steamworks, no native middlware libraries, etc. Until that situation settles, M1-native ports will be hit and miss. Rome Remastered will be M1-native, but only on the Mac App Store because Steamworks (and Steam) are still not set up for M1 support. How deeply Steamworks communicates with Steam is not something I know much about. Maybe you can have XPC shenanigans between Rosetta apps and M1-native just fine...?"

I know Valve isn't the biggest fans of Apple, but I do hope we will get more Mac ports and specifically M1 optimised ones!

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
So I've been super curious as to why some games that are on Steam and on Mac don't sell the Mac version on Steam. When it comes to M1 optimised games it does seem little more complicated than just putting it on Steam. Here something someone Steam forums brought up from an interview.

"Worth pointing out that the holdup here mainly centers around third parties: no native Steamworks, no native middlware libraries, etc. Until that situation settles, M1-native ports will be hit and miss. Rome Remastered will be M1-native, but only on the Mac App Store because Steamworks (and Steam) are still not set up for M1 support. How deeply Steamworks communicates with Steam is not something I know much about. Maybe you can have XPC shenanigans between Rosetta apps and M1-native just fine...?"

I know Valve isn't the biggest fans of Apple, but I do hope we will get more Mac ports and specifically M1 optimised ones!
Yeah, Valve doesn't really like Apple. I would say that if Valve was pushed to join the legal battle between Epic and Apple and they had to pick a side to support, they would pick Epic.

• Eyes

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
With all this talk about and praise for VRR i feel like the weird one now. A couple months ago i switched from using VRR as my default setting to backlight strobing on by default and i'm only switching back to VRR if it's really bad otherwise. As long as the game sticks to 60fps or stays in the 60fps+ range i usually rather limit to stable fps than use VRR, the better motion clarity is just worth it to me.

Might be a quirk of my panel where the difference is bigger than normal... anyway, i want my next monitor to have both working together.
My old monitor was 144hz,non Gsync, I used to use it 120hz light boost,

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Yeah, Valve doesn't really like Apple. I would say that if Valve was pushed to join the legal battle between Epic and Apple and they had to pick a side to support, they would pick Epic.
But at the same time Valve cares about its users and among those are Mac users, so I don't think they will ever abandon those.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
But at the same time Valve cares about its users and among those are Mac users, so I don't think they will ever abandon those.
For Valve to support Mac users they also need help from Apple in my understanding. So it depends if Apple wants to help out Mac users on Steam.

For all we know Valve keeps pushing Apple to do certain things to help out Mac users on Steam, but Apple keep rejecting them.

• Eyes
Reactions: PC-tan and Tomasety

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
For Valve to support Mac users they also need help from Apple in my understanding. So it depends if Apple wants to help out Mac users on Steam.

For all we know Valve keeps pushing Apple to do certain things to help out Mac users on Steam, but Apple keep rejecting them.
Not sure what you are talking about? The biggest thing now is for Steam to be compatible with M1 and then devs can release their M1 ports. Also many Mac ports now can't be played because the devs didn't update to 64bit and in the newer MacOS that is required.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Not sure what you are talking about? The biggest thing now is for Steam to be compatible with M1 and then devs can release their M1 ports. Also many Mac ports now can't be played because the devs didn't update to 64bit and in the newer MacOS that is required.
So it's up to devs and pubs to support M1?

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I mean, Apple is just fucking annoying for everyone who doesn't want to do things 100% their way (which can change at the drop of a hat).

Dropping OpenGL, dropping OpenCL (after co-inventing it!), never supporting Vulkan, the forced 64 bit transition, the list goes on. Valve is in the business of providing a long-term gaming platform with Steam, and Apple policies are not conducive to that.

Last edited:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Yes, but they can't at the moment until Steam and its components are M1 optimised. As I understand it. Thats why some ports are on Mac App Store but not on Steam.
Ah, got it. Then it begs the question, why hasn't Valve updated Steams components for M1?

• Eyes
Dec 5, 2018
One thing I appreciate from Microsoft is how they ship windows with a compatibility database to guarantee that old (popular) apps still work.

Reactions: Le Pertti

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
  • Disapproval
Reactions: PC-tan and kio

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
  • Eyes
Reactions: PC-tan and Tomasety

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I mean, Apple is just fucking annoying for everyone who doesn't want to do things 100% their way (which can change at the drop of a hat).

Dropping OpenGL, dropping OpenCL (after co-inventing it!), never supporting Vulkan, the forced 64 bit transition, the list goes on. Valve is in the business of providing a lon-term gaming platform with Steam, and Apple policies are not conducive to that.
Historically, Apple has been pretty contemptuous of gaming in the first place so there's that too.

Also, lol at wolfire. And of course there is nothing wrong with that poll and I'm sure PC Gamer will do one for console devs too. It's all making me feel like I'm taking crazy pills. One company is actively preventing others from putting up their products on any other store and platform and has a cut that is neither sustainable nor rewarding quality for users (or even devs for that matter). The other one is actively working to better the PC platform, foster open-source initiatives quietly and allows everyone to be sold without gatekeeping.

That these people are raving at the later for being a monopoly boggles my mind.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.