Community MetaSteam | April 2021 - So NieR Yet So FAR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
I know it's trendy in some places online to be pro-devs no matter what but since apparently 40% of devs think anything up from 10% is too much i don't know who is more delusional.
I mean, it is good to keep in mind developers, always, but let's not forget that gaming is BUSINESS, everyone will be looking for their own interests and this is something that sure a lot of people forget, they are selling, you are buying, it's mere transactions (not talking about the product but about the nature of this process)

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Only EGS and pro-EGS people online will be "pressured" with the new cut on MS Store. The lower EGS cut was basically the main talking point for Epic/Timmy and pro-EGS people for why EGS is a good thing and why time exclusives are a good thing (people buying exclusives on EGS means better cut for devs too). Now that MS store has the same cut as EGS, that talking about for Epic is gone.

In other words I fully expect lots of devs to go exclusive on MS Store because that's the only reason there are EGS exclusives and it has nothing to do with big bags of money.

moemoneyb1

MetaMember
Mar 29, 2021
I mean, it is good to keep in mind developers, always, but let's not forget that gaming is BUSINESS, everyone will be looking for their own interests and this is something that sure a lot of people forget, they are selling, you are buying, it's mere transactions (not talking about the product but about the nature of this process)
Basically this, I don't mind showing support for indie devs but in the end selling and buying games is a business and I'm going to make decisions that benefit me in the end. The change in cut for the Windows Store is a good move but I don't see it pressuring Valve to change its cut anytime soon.

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Only EGS and pro-EGS people online will be "pressured" with the new cut on MS Store. The lower EGS cut was basically the main talking point for Epic/Timmy and pro-EGS people for why EGS is a good thing and why time exclusives are a good thing (people buying exclusives on EGS means better cut for devs too). Now that MS store has the same cut as EGS, that talking about for Epic is gone.

In other words I fully expect lots of devs to go exclusive on MS Store because that's the only reason there are EGS exclusives and it has nothing to do with big bags of money.
I don't think we will see that much exclusivity as the system is yet to be opened, and even if it's open, it is wise to release everywhere or in as many profitable places as possible.

Reactions: Tomasety and PC-tan

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I don't think we will see that much exclusivity as the system is yet to be opened, and even if it's open, it is wise to release everywhere or in as many profitable places as possible.
I forgot to add /s.

:p

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
So why didn't Microsoft lower the cut on consoles also hmmmmmmmmm? Yes that's right because no one buys PC games on their store and lowering the cut didn't really loose them any money.
Pretty much this. I'm sure there's some sales, but didn't that CoD have like 10 players on launch?

It's good PR tho. Maybe it leads Valve giving bit more to Microsoft, so win-win?

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I don't see any reason for Valve to lower their cut for non-AAA games right now - this isn't luring people away from steam. Sure, if the MS store improves, if it actually becomes something with a large and willing userbase, then indie devs can use that as a tool to negotiate a better cut with valve (one of the many tools btw, I'm not at all saying that devs are at all dependent on some competitor store to demand a better cut). But as it stands at the moment, it's just a move by MS to make developing for the MS store more appealing, it's not consumer-focussed at all and that's what ultimately matters. There is no base for negotiation, if there's no actual alternative to the status quo that would hurt valve.
correct again! :)

Pretty much this. I'm sure there's some sales, but didn't that CoD have like 10 players on launch?

It's good PR tho. Maybe it leads Valve giving bit more to Microsoft, so win-win?
yeah, pretty much this .... ms have nothing to lose by lowering the cut ... but A LOT to gain if it works out

Reactions: Tomasety

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
One thing regarding store cuts and in particular Steam that I've almost never seen discussed, and that I think is relevant from a consumer (and in particular enthusiast) perspective is what it means for legitimate third party stores like GMG and CDkeys.

Currently, there's a 30% range on digital "retail" prices for games which gives those stores the opportunity to provide ~20% off deals at launch for a huge number of games, deals I generally use when I buy a new game.

Shrinking the margin means shrinking that range, and since the "retail" price will never go down this might actually mean that I would end up paying more for many new games.

Valve would simply have to adapt. Nothing wrong with that I think.
That depends on what "adapting" entails.

If it means that the Steam feature set stops expanding (or worse shrinks to an EGS level) or that Valve stops their involvement in and funding for things like Proton I really don't want that "adaptation".

fearthedawn

Apr 19, 2019
Nier Repilcant ! 1440p High, locked to 60 fps at the driver level !
With regular random drops to 15 fps :cryblob::cryblob::cryblob:

Would SpecialK fix this ?
I had similar drops when my controller did its favorite micro-usb thing to do (quick disconnect and reconnect because the plug is shit), Nier Replicants input handling is a piece of shit apparently, you can try disabling steaminput or enabling it if it was disabled or just unplugging it and running around with mouse+keyboard for a bit to see if any of that fixes the issue, at least then you'll know if it's that problem or something else.

I can try and see if specialK fixed that for me, i had already changed to a usb-c controller before installing it.

edit/update: actually it does sort of, instead of dropping to horrible fps territory for 5-15 seconds it now only has a slight hiccup where it misses a couple frames when i dare to move my controller a little too fast

Last edited:
  • Hug
Reactions: Li Kao

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
99% of people think the taxes are too high!

ask anyone if they pay too much on anything, the majority will say it is too much.
Especially when the majority of people (at least, in the US) are a few bad days or weeks away from destitution. We have no safety nets, no savings, no back up housing or food, and people with masters' degrees making less than a living wage.

Fair taxation is a bit less contentious when you aren't worried about where you're going to live or how you're going to eat. Same goes for sales cuts - the difference between 30% and even 25% is just a small difference in profit for the successful, but for the rest in can be a huge deal.

I don't think Steam totally earns that 30%, they fall short in a lot of obvious areas pretty consistently, but that 12% would make Steam much worse in the long run as well.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
They've been promising to fix the Win10 store since 2016 now. Just nuke that shit from gaming existence and do all transactions/installations with the Gamepass app. At least that thing is more reliable.

Also surprising they still not doing Gamepass on Steam. Probably waiting for after Starfield release so they can sell millions of copies first.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Having had to go through a harrowing Windows 10 install in which the amount of effort expended to get the same base state as 7 was increased tenfold, I don't trust MS to write even a calculator anymore. I'll believe it when I see it, and even then...

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Artifact is dead so no reason for Axe to go up in price anymore.

Unless ofc Artifact 2 comes out one day and they let you use cards from the first game. And Axe continues to be overpowered on top of all that.

So yea rip...sell sell sell. And I'll buy a few when they are 5 cents a pop. :sneaky:

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
At least MS is still taking a stance that they want to release games on multiple platforms (and indirectly throwing shade towards the Epic Store). xD
But for how long? They are building a fanbase by releasing their games on Steam now, but with the lower cut for the Windows Store, they are definitely trying to compete with Steam.

Anyway, it makes me sad that "competition" between storefronts on pc seems to be shifted to pleasing developers instead of consumers. The media are praising Epic and MS for the lower cut, while their stores and pc clients are utter shit and barely improving. This isn't right.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
But for how long? They are building a fanbase by releasing their games on Steam now, but with the lower cut for the Windows Store, they are definitely trying to compete with Steam.

Anyway, it makes me sad that "competition" between storefronts on pc seems to be shifted to pleasing developers instead of consumers. The media are praising Epic and MS for the lower cut, while their stores and pc clients are utter shit and barely improving. This isn't right.
For now at least I think they're trying to attract more devs to their platform without relying on exclusivity deals, and I think they're well aware of how unpopular their store is, I think they know what would be the PC gamers reactions if they started pulling exclusivity deals like Epic.

They also want to attract more devs to gamepass too, if they get more games on their platform, some of them are likely to want to get into gamepass.

The only PC exclusivity deal that I can think of that Microsoft has done in recent years is the PSO2 one, which launched on the MS store 2 months before Steam, though in this case it's a game that they helped in bringing to the west and they're providing the servers for it.

The incoming closed beta for PSO2 NGS is also MS Store exclusive (which will only last for one weekend), but the launch will be simultaneous on all available platforms.

Snakethesniper

Time Traveler
Jan 11, 2019
I was waiting for a sale on DQ Builders 2 after the good talk on here, and it's not on sale...I guess I'll buy it elsewhere :sorryblob:

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Tales of Arise is currently the 25th most wishlisted game on Steam
Naraka: Bladepoint is the 24th
Scarlet Nexus is the 20th
Days Gone is the 15th

I checked for no particular reason
Because you are a data nerd, JUST LIKE ME :cat-heart-blob:

Nier Automata and Replicant in the same top 10, Yakuza in top 15 :blobeyes::blobeyes::blobeyes::cat-heart-blob:

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria

[UWSL]☝[/UWSL]
why does there have to be a "winner" anyway? more stores (without fucking exclusives), more options = custumers win.

One thing regarding store cuts and in particular Steam that I've almost never seen discussed, and that I think is relevant from a consumer (and in particular enthusiast) perspective is what it means for legitimate third party stores like GMG and CDkeys.

Currently, there's a 30% range on digital "retail" prices for games which gives those stores the opportunity to provide ~20% off deals at launch for a huge number of games, deals I generally use when I buy a new game.

Shrinking the margin means shrinking that range, and since the "retail" price will never go down this might actually mean that I would end up paying more for many new games.

That depends on what "adapting" entails.

If it means that the Steam feature set stops expanding (or worse shrinks to an EGS level) or that Valve stops their involvement in and funding for things like Proton I really don't want that "adaptation".
yeah, its bugs me how this is always left out. at least eurogamer mentioned in their article about it that steam's cut lowers to 25/20, but they left this stuff out. also, isnt steam covering processing fees whilst egs isnt doing any of that?

-snipped gifs that are now blocked thanks to APB-
that is nightmare fuel

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019

because people either ignore it when you post it or just go "bUt ThE dEvElOpErS" as if developers were going to put out a call to arms and pool money into my bank account if I ever ended up without a job.
It mostly get ignored though

• Eyes

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
Valve should do a tier for small self publishing devs where they collect only 12%, but the game would not appear on any page on Steam besides its own, remove all the payment options where the cost would exceed Valves cut, like Steam cards and cash options, can't generate keys, can't use the community hub or any of Steamworks, Would small devs be happy with more "potential" money but less tools or visibility?:shrugblob:

• Eyes
Status
Not open for further replies.