Community MetaSteam | April 2022 - Crossing Spring in a Galaxy Far, Far Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Cool, Nintendo’s cloud must have deleted my Picross S1-4 saves. I only stopped subbing when the oled launched.
Cool cool.

Legit feeling some buyer’s remorse.

edit. Yup, 180 days and the saves are nuked. I have a mind of nuking my purchase and tweeting it to Nintendo.
You don’t respect me, I don’t respect you.

Last edited:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Cool, Nintendo’s cloud must have deleted my Picross S1-4 saves. I only stopped subbing when the oled launched.
Cool cool.

Legit feeling some buyer’s remorse.

edit. Yup, 180 days and the saves are nuked. I have a mind of nuking my purchase and tweeting it to Nintendo.
You don’t respect me, I don’t respect you.
Losing a save with so many hours sucks the living shit out of any motivation to play a game.

Happened to me a few years ago, think it was Skyrim, my 60 hour save got corrupted for some reason a few months after launch, never touched the game since.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
Me sitting with a ps5 and having already played bloodborne (which is tremendously overrated)

:evilblob:
If anything PC ports just increase the risk of me giving Sony more money (sometimes rebuying games I'm not likely to even finish the first time).

What I'd want is ports of games I want to play forever, like Gomi Bako or Tekken Tag Tournament 2 or Little Big Planet 1 & 2.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018

I just wrapped Umurangi Generation and the Macro DLC and this game truly is special. It's pure environmental storytelling, where you take the role of courier who also takes photos bounties, completing the optional objectives unlocks new addons to your camera or more editing options. I don't want to talk too much about the story as discovering what is going on is part of the experience. Also grab the Macro DLC!

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Sony’s attitude to PC ports should be simple:

Port Everything.

They have a massive back catalogue and despite being one of the first in cloud gaming they’ve fallen behind.

If they want a massive library of games for their cloud service, they need them to be ported or emulated on PCs for them to be viable for the future. So why don’t they just get a move on and port or officially emulate every first party game from the PS1 up to today that they can legally do?

And while they’re at it, release those games on Steam.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018

Port Everything.

They have a massive back catalogue and despite being one of the first in cloud gaming they’ve fallen behind.

If they want a massive library of games for their cloud service, they need them to be ported or emulated on PCs for them to be viable for the future. So why don’t they just get a move on and port or officially emulate every first party game from the PS1 up to today that they can legally do?

Sony on anything older than the ps4

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
Lol @ Ubisoft potentially being bought out. People shit all over the idea of Vivendis buyout occuring years ago and cheered when it didnt occur and then all the horrible stuff came out later about the company and then mega purchases and other stuff happened later for other game companies.

If the Vivendi one would of succeeded it would of kept it as a french conglomerate or whatever it's called which would of been fairly neat (At least I think it's kind of neat considering the state of other businesses overall)

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Lol @ Ubisoft potentially being bought out. People shit all over the idea of Vivendis buyout occuring years ago and cheered when it didnt occur and then all the horrible stuff came out later about the company and then mega purchases and other stuff happened later for other game companies.

If the Vivendi one would of succeeded it would of kept it as a french conglomerate or whatever it's called which would of been fairly neat (At least I think it's kind of neat considering the state of other businesses overall)
Nah, things wouldn't be that different, Vivendi would chase trends too. I don't know what really happened at Ubisoft but they were on good track for some time then they flipped the table and started making strange decisions.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com

Port Everything.

It's easy to say port everything, but actually doing it is not that easy, even if it's something that only takes a small team, it's still often a 1+ year project for each game.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
It's easy to say port everything, but actually doing it is not that easy, even if it's something that only takes a small team, it's still often a 1+ year project for each game.
Yeah, I'm not saying it's going to be simple. If they went on to do this it'd take them a long time to get a complete collection. But there's no time like the present, and from a strategic perspective they should have easily updated/portable versions of these games that they can run off standardised hardware (i.e. an x86 server). They can't keep relying on having a bunch of PS3 servers stream cloud games forever.

As we've seen with the service wars on movies and TV, content is king. Sony has so much back catalogue stuff that in my mind it makes sense to utilise every single game they have the rights to. It'll be a short-term expense that will pay off in the future.

A surplus benefit of bolstering out their cloud system in such a way is PC versions of those games.

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
Nah, things wouldn't be that different, Vivendi would chase trends too. I don't know what really happened at Ubisoft but they were on good track for some time then they flipped the table and started making strange decisions.
I'm sure they would of chased trends but it would of been different leadership and not the guillemont family trying to cling to that ship like barnacles

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Damn, tomorrow is going to be stressing. I have to go to the funeral of an ex-neighbor / family friend and traditionally you kiss the widow. I mean I love the man and I love his wife, no issue. But he was sorta famous in our small village and, post covid, kissing the same person as 50 other people is really fucking stupid.
But what can you do ? I love her and maybe she would'nt understand if I stayed back. And even if so, try convincing my mother to do the same.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
yeah, much smarter to port it years ago, and then just sit on forever for no reason. I guess PC ports are actually like fine wine, they get better the longer they stay on Valve's servers without being downloaded by anyone.

kafiend

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Game companies are like money-junkies chasing their next high.

Companies should stop looking for their next instant profit-high and look at their games as an outlet of providing happiness.
In less nebulous terms this only means looking at games as pure entertainment with a specified end. Not crazy as its no different to movies. books and music.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I'm lost. WIth the re-purchase of the switch I finally realized I am totally overwhelmed with games to play (and want more obviously).
How do you sort through 1500+ games ?

I tried making a list but the PC part is 150 items, ridiculous.

• Eyes

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Game companies are like money-junkies chasing their next high.

Companies should stop looking for their next instant profit-high and look at their games as an outlet of providing happiness.
In less nebulous terms this only means looking at games as pure entertainment with a specified end. Not crazy as its no different to movies. books and music.
Balance is key for everything. As an architect i did some stupid things on requests from investors, and i did some good things contrary to investors wishes. Point is to know when to do one and when to do other. Same is with games, sure go and chase money, you need to pay bills but you can't focus on just that and ignore everything else.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I'm lost. WIth the re-purchase of the switch I finally realized I am totally overwhelmed with games to play (and want more obviously).
How do you sort through 1500+ games ?

I tried making a list but the PC part is 150 items, ridiculous.
What do you mean, you have 1500+ games on Switch? What PC part?

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
What do you mean, you have 1500+ games on Switch? What PC part?
I have 1623 games on Steam and my selection there is already 150. I mention the switch because that only adds up to the choice. If I had 1500 games on Switch I would be living the life on cocaine and hookers.
I think a big culling of the wishlist is in order...

Now if you please, I will play... Kirby's Adventure on NES, because I'm hopeless. And don't have the money for the new one (damn, that demo was FIRE).

• Eyes

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Well, I think people don't mean 'hit the Export to PC button please', but rather, take Microsoft strategy of releasing games both on their console and on PC. There's no reason no to, the enthusiast PC user it's not going to run to a Walmart to pick up a PS5 solely to play Horizon Zero Dawn (not that they can do it anyway lol).

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Well, I think people don't mean 'hit the Export to PC button please', but rather, take Microsoft strategy of releasing games both on their console and on PC. There's no reason no to, the enthusiast PC user it's not going to run to a Walmart to pick up a PS5 solely to play Horizon Zero Dawn (not that they can do it anyway lol).
That would be a good start and would be excellent going forward.

But as a long term strategy I think the platform holders should be going to their back catalogue from older systems and bringing them to PC. They can sell them as individual titles and as part of a subscription.

Basically ignoring your older games is asking for them to be pirated. And PC gamers won’t give a shit that you can stream them from an ancient console in a server rack when they can be emulated on local hardware.

Obviously it won’t happen overnight, but I think the publishers most proactive about their back catalogues will be in the strongest position over the next decade or two. Even more so if said publisher has platform ambitions that want to live past the current console generation.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
That would be a good start and would be excellent going forward.

But as a long term strategy I think the platform holders should be going to their back catalogue from older systems and bringing them to PC. They can sell them as individual titles and as part of a subscription.

Basically ignoring your older games is asking for them to be pirated. And PC gamers won’t give a shit that you can stream them from an ancient console in a server rack when they can be emulated on local hardware.

Obviously it won’t happen overnight, but I think the publishers most proactive about their back catalogues will be in the strongest position over the next decade or two. Even more so if said publisher has platform ambitions that want to live past the current console generation.
Especially given how Sony isn't a small indie company, they definitely have the manpower and money to do it.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Combat in The Sinking City and whole survival element to it is still drags game down significantly. Game has other issues but gun fights ae really bad, especially because sometimes i have issues where game stutters as soon as i aim down the sight and that makes aiming pointless.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Happy Macron won despite not liking him, Le Pen is just worse.
the interesting question now will be if he gets a majority in the parliament in the elections in June. If not, he will continue to be an ineffective president and likely give more fuel to far right parties in 2027 (or possibly allow leftist opposition parties to rise, but the far right always seem more effective in channelling people's dissatisfaction)

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
the interesting question now will be if he gets a majority in the parliament in the elections in June. If not, he will continue to be an ineffective president and likely give more fuel to far right parties in 2027 (or possibly allow leftist opposition parties to rise, but the far right always seem more effective in channelling people's dissatisfaction)
That’s because the right wing have no qualms about lying. They give simple answers to complex issues, which is easy when you don’t have to tell the truth.

Sadly do nothing centrists like Macron exist only to uphold the status quo, thus the right grows stronger.

Last edited:

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Yea I feel like that Starfield Online thing will just wind up being some mobile game or app.

Remember they did the same thing right before Fallout 4 released when they released Fallout Shelter for phones @E3 as a fun little thing for people to get hyped about. It was very successful for them so they are most likely doing the same thing for Starfield. Something for people to learn and have fun with before they dive into that universe in November.

Ofc it would be great if it is an traditional PC MMO but I don't see Bethesda pulling that off long term.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020

Per Epic, Uncharted is releasing on PC June 20.
I can't believe it. EGS finally did a good thing to PC gaming... by leaking release date.

Status
Not open for further replies.